Peercoin Video by OverkillCoin

We are hoping to make a new promotional video for Peercoin, and @OverkillCoin has said he is interested in getting involved.

@OverkillCoin is the guy who made this great video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eU2INYe4gk.

I have given him the link to this thread and hopefully we can organize the video from here if he is willing to do it.

Here was a previous effort to make a video that never materialized fully: http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=1889.0

As always, this Cointrader article is great for learning the specifics of Peercoin: http://cointrader.org/peercoin-proof-of-stake-and-bitcoin/

Overkillcoin, here are the interviews with the developer of Peercoin, Sunny King…

Sunny King Community Interview #1
http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2216.0

Sunny King Community Interview #2
http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2218.0

I needs to be re-broadcastable on TV so to keep costs down, use whatever is creative commons for audio.

Also, some people with english as their 2nd language will be watching this, so let’s not talk too quickly or fill the background with too much music or sound.

Also nothing worse than loud (or unnecessary) music in the background making it difficult to hear what the speaker or narrator is saying. Limit music to a minimum.

2nd part:

Brainstorming some 30 Second video concepts:

• Satoshi Nakamoto and Sunny King cartoon characters disagree over blockchain bloat
    Plot: Peercoin’s block chain is much smaller, now, and in the future

• Overkill Coin “and other stupid coin friends” meet Peercoin. They’re running scared
    Plot: Peercoin is here for the long term, they are just pump and dump.

• Peercoin and Peershare, a quick introduction of what’s coming, and a call to all future developers to create their own projects
    Plot: Peershare will revolutionize how Peercoin is used

• Overkill Dev “and other stupid coin friends” vs Satoshi and Sunny king
    Plot: Showing the difference between a real developer and these one-click coin devs

• Proof of Stake vs Proof of work. Why both are good, but why stake is better in the long term
    Plot: I just said it

We probably need to pump out at least 10 or 20 of these in time. Our first one must be the most important one that can be re-used in the long term, televised, etc.

So don’t choose one of the funny ones that won’t make sense if it is aired to the general population who are new to cryptocurrency.

Eventually TV is going to want to air 10 or 15 seconds of our video like that famous “What is Bitcoin?” video when we get popular. So it is this video we should be concentrating on now.

Let them know if they can shave costs and do whatever probono they can do for the first video, when our price jumps, it will be easier to hire them for video #2, and video #10, etc.

We definitely need about 10 of these types of videos eventually.

He is preparing an estimate and will email it to me when it is ready.

Like the idea of several small videos to cover different aspects of Peercoin one at a time.

Plus, there are some complex themes that will be clearer after the next community interview with Sunny. So, it could be a continuous process.

The estimate is $4900-$6100 ish. He sent the full breakdown to super3 so I haven’t seen it yet, and said he is willing to negotiate a little if needs be.

Thoughts?

[quote=“river333, post:7, topic:2095”]The estimate is $4900-$6100 ish. He sent the full breakdown to super3 so I haven’t seen it yet, and said he is willing to negotiate a little if needs be.

Thoughts?[/quote]

Is Super3 going to post the breakdown? We don’t really know what that money is for without it. Is it a one minute video or several 30 second ones? I think it’s possible to raise that, since Peer4Commit is already over $100,000. We would need to have a script though so we know what would be in the video/s and would need to discuss it. Also, does he want that in Bitcoin or Peercoin?

Could he also provide other videos in his portfolio as reference? I mean, we know he can make damn funny videos, but has he made some more serious ones too?

Besides this, he could use another mic, the one in the video sounds a bit canny IMO.

Rather than soliciting donations, I’d rather us find a way to tie this to the existing coins that have been donated for the Peercoin.net development work (or one of the other related marketing projects that the funds have already been donated for).

I believe that this will be a very important tool, but I also don’t want to see people in the community who may or may not have large holdings have to come up with funds to cover it, today, if we already have an allocation earmarked for this type of work.

this will be a different project & shouldn’t take fund from other existing fund.

i think we could easily raise 5k from our community. it is about 2k PPC

I think funding such a video with donations might be a good idea (it already has 5,414 views).
Once it is done, it seems like a good thing to use the SWARM for advertizing it.

But I think first there needs to be concensus
a) if this video is wanted at all (I like it, but who am I to say:“go!”?)
b) how to fund it (donations for peercoin.net development are an idea, but I don’t know about the donations; were they meant to be dedicated for something special? Does the video fit the code? I don’t wanna upset donators by “misusing” donations…)

addtional comment:

we should call this fund as Media/Promo Materials, so things like:

1. video
  2. logo
  3. brochure
  4. banner
    5 etc etc…
    fall into this funds…

so the next time if we need money for promotion or materials - we can get from the above section. i dont think this will be the only video or final version. I assume they will be updates or additional points that we want to addon to the video as well. The animator will definitely charge for this in future.

peercoin.net development fund - focusing on enhancing the web/server cost/framework/bla bla bla related to the web
peercointalk.org fund - on forum specific

if both account holders above agrees to take out partial fund from the existing - i’m ok with it.

Cost break down:

Rough estimate for peercoin demo

Tasks:

Script writing

This may take some back & forth effort with a community member, in order to be clear about peercoin’s attributes/benefits.

Voice narration

I personally can do the narration at no extra charge. I also know of three professional voice over artists who charge from $100 - $200 per minute. I will obviously keep my style from matching the overkillcoin ‘circus ring leader style’, but it may be good for branding purposes to have another voice. Please discuss and let me know.

Art creation (icons/backgrounds/diagrams/characters/etc - all visible items)

Animation

Task handled by Nick Standing:

Sound mixing

(royalty free music track) Incompetech has free music requires Creative Commons attribution - or for a $30 charge, can be used without attribution. I may need some assistance picking a track, or can suggest several related tracks to pick from.

Breakdown:
Sound mixing: $900

Voice: FREE if I do it, about $200 if a pro does it

Writing, art, animation: $4000 - $5000, depending on length of the audio. Of course, a shorter animation is less work and therefore less in cost.

Ballpark cost: From $4900 - $6100

Please let me know your thoughts and get back to me.
Thank you!

Portfolio:

General portfolio: http://www.anthonyhoude.com/

Promo for my d/b/a company:
http://anthonygh.wistia.com/medias/ny9tbb4zg8
Visuals/animation - me / Audio - Andre Greene

Explanation video for GARD technology:
http://www.invisibleintelligencellc.com/ (scroll down)
Visuals/animation - me / Audio - Andre Greene

Adar Cloud Computing:

Visuals/animation - me / (forgot the name of the v.o. guy, but I can look him up)

Dover Flexo Product Demo:

Visuals/animation - me / Audio - Mike Scott

Hope these give you a more wide view of my work. I can do any style/mood/outlook to match the script.

I will forward the questions people had to him now.

I sent a message to Super 3 asking him about the price breakdown and asked him to comment on these things here. Regardless of how we do it, the video needs to be done. We can’t keep relying on the current one with all its misspellings.

Edit: Looks like River beat me to it.

I should have been clearer – I used the “Peercoin.net” fund as an example of where we may be able to find the money, namely because was under the impression that the fund was intended for development efforts that assisted getting the Peercoin “message” out. It is, after all, the primary marketing site for the protocol. Whether or not this falls under the umbrella of “development efforts” is probably the right conversation, but if visual design and content writing is included, I can’t see why videography wouldn’t be as well.

If this isn’t the appropriate fund to use, then I suggest we go through the list of funding sources and identify any of them that the video production would be appropriate to pay out of, even if only in part, before we turn to crowd-sourced donations.

Great to have a decent video back on the agenda.
My thoughts on funding it, is that we shouldn’t confuse development funds with marketing funds.
I think we need to have a more clear charter when raising funds in the future. I propose to use peer4commit infrastructure as a trial and instead of attaching a project to it we just attach a charter for marketing to it.

Here is my proposal for a marketing charter to raise funds on (including for this video):

• Fund to promote Peercoin brand and educate users about the use of Peercoins through freely redistributable videos, audio and written media. The fund is primarily used to pay professionals and any materials or services they need to achieve the stated objective. Smaller contributions can go to Peercoin community members for sharing, distributing and promoting the professionally made marketing material.

I think I can make the fundraising work with peer4commit infrastructure. Have already a bit of a clumsy proof of concept but we can improve that on the go. What we need is a trusted member of this community to host it on Github/Peer4commit. Happy to support that person in the technicalities.

[quote=“Cybnate, post:17, topic:2095”]Great to have a decent video back on the agenda.
My thoughts on funding it, is that we shouldn’t confuse development funds with marketing funds.
I think we need to have a more clear charter when raising funds in the future. I propose to use peer4commit infrastructure as a trial and instead of attaching a project to it we just attach a charter for marketing to it.

Here is my proposal for a marketing charter […][/quote]

+1 to each of that!
…and I like your proposal as well, but I don’t like full quotes :wink:

[quote=“Cybnate, post:17, topic:2095”]Here is my proposal for a marketing charter to raise funds on (including for this video):

• Fund to promote Peercoin brand and educate users about the use of Peercoins through freely redistributable videos, audio and written media. The fund is primarily used to pay professionals and any materials or services they need to achieve the stated objective. Smaller contributions can go to Peercoin community members for sharing, distributing and promoting the professionally made marketing material.[/quote]

Cybnate, this is something I think we’ve been needing for a while. We can try and raise money specifically for this video, but once it’s gone, we’d have to start the fundraising process all over again with another project. I think we need a general place where people can donate to Peercoin marketing and media efforts like this video.

We wouldn’t need to create a new fundraising page every time we start a new project. We would simply direct people to one donation page for all marketing projects. Whenever money needs to be raised for a project, we make the rounds through social media and direct people to that page and provide a thread explaining what we want to use the money for.

The question is, who would have control over disbursing the donated funds to different projects? We can’t just give out free money to random people on the forum who try to start up a project. People requesting money would need to have some kind of reputation on the forum before getting any. Is this the best way to do it or is there another way?

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:19, topic:2095”][quote=“Cybnate, post:17, topic:2095”]Here is my proposal for a marketing charter to raise funds on (including for this video):

• Fund to promote Peercoin brand and educate users about the use of Peercoins through freely redistributable videos, audio and written media. The fund is primarily used to pay professionals and any materials or services they need to achieve the stated objective. Smaller contributions can go to Peercoin community members for sharing, distributing and promoting the professionally made marketing material.[/quote]

Cybnate, this is something I think we’ve been needing for a while. We can try and raise money specifically for this video, but once it’s gone, we’d have to start the fundraising process all over again with another project. I think we need a general place where people can donate to Peercoin marketing and media efforts like this video.

We wouldn’t need to create a new fundraising page every time we start a new project. We would simply direct people to one donation page for all marketing projects. Whenever money needs to be raised for a project, we make the rounds through social media and direct people to that page and provide a thread explaining what we want to use the money for.

The question is, who would have control over disbursing the donated funds to different projects? We can’t just give out free money to random people on the forum who try to start up a project. People requesting money would need to have some kind of reputation on the forum before getting any. Is this the best way to do it or is there another way?[/quote]
Ok, going a bit off-topic here, but we need to have this discussion to move forward:

@Sentinelrv, I have been playing with this and throwing it around with Ben in the last days/week. The control over disbursements is not an easy one. The advantage of peer4commit is that it has at least some traceability of how much and to what account the disbursement went.

Problem statement
So I think there are two problems to solve:

1. How do we do know the funds get to the right person
  2. Who determines that someone has done some good work for the community and what criteria would they apply

Proposal

1. This can be solved by sending a PM to the project maintainer after someone has posted in the forum that they completed a task. They need to refer to that post. With that they can get a unique code which allows them to be recognised by the project maintainer on Github. On Github the person who completed the task post their unique code with their account and proves that they completed a task as defined and chartered on Github.
  2. By providing clearly chartered and defined tasks, In the case of the video we can define the requirements. Only when all requirements are met a reward applies, or if you want to soften if only requirements such and such applies, that amount of reward is applicable. I agree this would require some good business analyst level thinking for each tasks. I think at the start we should stay away from vague tasks which no-one can really define. So “some good work” is not good enough. Tasks should only be added if community can come up with clear requirements in advance. The project maintainer should refuse tasks which don’t have that. They would get themselves in trouble pretty quickly.

For those soft target tasks as rewarding people who did a good job (in hindsight) we should run a separate fund with another charter. People can be nominated with a number of recommendations by the community and then community voting might determine the level of reward. We could run a poll(s) on that. The project maintainer will release the funds as per outcome of the poll.

Issue resolution proposal:

• If the project maintainer is not satisfied of in doubt about the value of the reward they can raise that an issue on Github, consult the community on it and invite them to vote either in the forum or on Github itself.
  • If the person receiving the reward is not satisfied they can also raise an issue according to same process.
    In both case voting will provide the final decision. The issues resolution process can also be used if charter leaves too much doubt to make good decisions in specific cases.

Going forward
Happy to showcase how this would work in the next few days, but as said before the process is a bit clumsy at the moment. We have made Sigmike (maintainer peer4commit) aware of the plan and he might be able to smoothen out some of the hoops and loops and makes it more user friendly over time.

So with clear charters and issue resolution process in place the project maintainer(s) are basically just bookkeepers and rewarding according a set process on behalf of the donators. Peer4commit and blockchain are transparent on the amount of reward and to it went so some auditing by community/donators is possible. Still need two or more people to run it like that properly if heaps of tasks start to show up. Happy to raise my hand to start with and help defining tasks under a certain charter, but as said before we need more support from one preferably two people who are on the same page and are prepared to run with some tasks and rewarding people as per process and charter.

Please shoot at it where you think it might not work for some reason. The more we think of it in advance the smoother the process will be later.

Edit: readability improvements…