Peercoin Video by OverkillCoin

Personally I think the quote is a bit steep, but let’s start with getting the requirements down first. PPCman has stated a few in his post in this thread. In the previous thread to develop a video we had a whole lot of information we wanted in. This can be done with the script writer as proposed and is about the content. Challenge is to agree on the focus of message to get across and then to add the script and details.

Proposed requirements first video:

1. Needs to be re-broadcastable on TV so to keep costs down, use whatever is creative commons for audio.
  2. Some people with english as their 2nd language will be watching this, so let’s not talk too quickly or fill the background with too much music or sound.
  3. Limit music to a minimum. Nothing worse than loud (or unnecessary) music in the background making it difficult to hear what the speaker or narrator is saying.
  4. Duration:90 seconds
  5. etc.

Proposed focus:
Promote Peercoin brand, show coin advantages and its easy use

Proposed requirements content/script:

1. (what) Intro to concept of cryptocoins
  2. (why) Advantages of Peercoin (comparing or not?) e.g. PoS, proven economics and infrastructure, broadly available, etc.
  3. (how) Show how easy it’s being used (e.g. with new QR functionality of v0.4)
    etc.

Above is just an attempt to have develop the structure which may be helpful to get message across script writer and video maker, but also to raise the funds and have a clear charter for it.
Open to suggestions and further discussion.

Just a quick update on the video: I sent @OverkillCoin a list of questions that were asked on the forum. He was busy last night but said he would answer them all today, and he has registered on the forum to continue discussions from here. He also said he is negotiating with his pro voice guy to keep the cost low enough to be an incentive to use him, should we prefer to have a professional narrator.

I do like your summary Cybnate, thanks.

[quote=“Cybnate, post:21, topic:2095”]Proposed focus:
Promote Peercoin brand, show coin advantages and its easy use[/quote]

This can be a catch-22, so we need to be very careful here.

If we attempt to make our first video “introducing peercoin and cryptocurrency”, you’ll find you’ll spend the bulk of your time wasting your timeline on the obvious to existing crypto users who is who we should be targetting at this point.

People who already know what a bitcoin is, and have already bought some (or litecoin) should be our target audience.

Since January 2013 until now, we’ve had huge flurry of new people start to buy and sell their first coins. Many of them have their eyes glued on bitcoin and litecoin because they are the most popular at the moment.

A lot of people who started to look at what peercoin offered probably got confused and gave up.

It is this our first TARGET AUDIENCE we must reach with our first video:

1. People who have already experienced having their own-crypto wallet with BTC, LTC, etc, so they’re an easier audience to explain to…

2. People who have already decided to make a small investment in cryptocurrency, have done it, and aren’t reluctant to get involved.

3. People who may have already used Btc-e, cryptsy, or some other exchange, but with the market FLOODED with coins, they have no reason why Peercoin should stand out more than any other coin. They’ve probably seen it and bypassed it. (Or held it short term, took a loss at some point and gave up on it going to the MOON)

4. We need to explain why $3/PPC is not too late to get in, and why Peercoin’s long-term future is bright. Every one should want to own some peercoin as part of their porfolio.

5. Journalists who have already written briefly about Peercoin and since “not much seems to be going on”, they need to fully understand how it is designed and what’s about to become of it.

If successful, this will be the short-term reaction by people who own Peercoin:

1. Miners will stop offloading their Peercoins as much, and instead keep them as part of their portfolio which will drive the price up

2. Speculators will buy Peercoin and hold them, instead of day trading them. (Which will drive the price up)

3. Journalists will begin paying attention to it, and writing articles about the visible changes to it’s marketcap.

This will be the long term benefits to Peercoin

1. The blockchain remains small (due to less transactional activity)

2. The price increases, which is the purpose of Peercoin, to act as a large store of value and not used for every day purchases

3. The volatility of the coin decreases, making it stable as a backbone currency

4. Other technologies (like Peershares) benefit from the first 3 items.

It’s a tall order to fill in 30-90 seconds of a first video. But this is what our immediate goal and target audience should be…

This is the quote I got. Pretty reasonable for what we are asking for. Will try to get the funds together.

Rough estimate for peercoin demo

Tasks:

Script writing

This may take some back & forth effort with a community member, in order to be clear about peercoin’s attributes/benefits.

Voice narration

I personally can do the narration at no extra charge. I also know of three professional voice over artists who charge from $100 - $200 per minute. I will obviously keep my style from matching the overkillcoin ‘circus ring leader style’, but it may be good for branding purposes to have another voice. Please discuss and let me know.

Art creation (icons/backgrounds/diagrams/characters/etc - all visible items)

Animation

Task handled by Nick Standing:

Sound mixing

(royalty free music track) Incompetech has free music requires Creative Commons attribution - or for a $30 charge, can be used without attribution. I may need some assistance picking a track, or can suggest several related tracks to pick from.

Breakdown:
Sound mixing: $900

Voice: FREE if I do it, about $200 if a pro does it

Writing, art, animation: $4000 - $5000, depending on length of the audio. Of course, a shorter animation is less work and therefore less in cost.

Ballpark cost: From $4900 - $6100

Please let me know your thoughts and get back to me.
Thank you!

[quote=“ppcman, post:23, topic:2095”][…]
People who already know what a bitcoin is, and have already bought some (or litecoin) should be our target audience.[/quote]
I completely agree with that. Anyone who doesn’t even know Bitcoin or Litecoin or crypto coins in general will not be able to understand the advance that has been made by Peercoin and will most likely not be interested at all.

A lot of people who started to look at what peercoin offered probably got confused and gave up. [/quote]
Peercoin was brought to my attention early 2013 but I didn’t understand it.
Having followed Bitcoin’s trail for some time I was not able to quickly understand what Peercoin is and why it is (can be/might be/will be) important.
So I had to wait until late 2013 (and after I had spent some more time with crypto currencies before I re-evaluated Peercoin and understood its uniqueness.

[quote=“ppcman, post:23, topic:2095”]It is this our first TARGET AUDIENCE we must reach with our first video:

1. People who have already experienced having their own-crypto wallet with BTC, LTC, etc, so they’re an easier audience to explain to…[/quote]
    ack

ack

I think this will be hard for the first eye-catcher video. I don’t see that as the target audience.

Diversification can easily be understood. But we should try to avoid to sound like an investment guide. It would be too easy to misunderstand that as part of a pump and dump…

That is imho one of the most important target which I don’t know how to get through to.
I think it’s crucial to get through to them because they act as a multiplier for people who are already interested in crypto (index no. 1 to 3!) and are already looking for information!
Although with index no. 5 I consider this the most important point.
The video may only go viral if cited/linked by journalists in their articles!

It’s a tall order to fill in 30-90 seconds of a first video. But this is what our immediate goal and target audience should be…[/quote]
It will be important to promote the video. It wil be almost useless if it can’t be advertized properly.

A SWARM action is the least we need to have!

Ways to distribute the video:

[ul][li]http://www.facebook.com/Peercoin[/li]
[li]http://www.twitter.com/PeercoinPPC[/li]
[li]http://www.youtube.com/OfficialPeercoin[/li]
[li]http://www.reddit.com/r/Peercoin[/li]
[li]find articles where this video can be a suitable comment[/li]
[li]contact journalists and make them aware of it[/li][/ul]

I don’t know how to contact journalists directly (without looking like a spammer), but it might help to search for journalists of which is known that they are at least open minded and might already be interested in Peercoin.

I think the articles and interviews here might be a good place to start:

Hello all,

Here’s a response to some of the posts I’ve read.

My audio guy (as heard in the Vakava Designs/GARD demos) is interested in doing these, and I believe he can be flexible in price. His vocals and equipment are at the head of the class. If you want a side-by-side comparison of both of us reading the same script, that may be a possibility. He would love to have this project on a resume.

As you’ve seen, I can do animation in various styles/tones. I’ve animated for industries from legal to manufacturing to tech.

What you might want to do as far as covering different aspects of peercoin:

• Have a series of short clips
    AND
  • String them together for a more comprehensive piece. (no extra charge)

I have a client video that’s eight minutes long, for example, but it’s also split into smaller pieces so viewers can zero in on particular info.

***** What is your target due date for the first piece? *****

Yes, I’m willing to be paid in peercoins, perhaps 50% btc and 50% ppc.

My sound mixer, I think, would prefer GBP through paypal if possible.

I’ll have to check with my vocal guy, but I think it’s likely that he’d accept cryptos.

The ballpark quote based the future ppc piece based on the length of the overkillcoin piece (about 2 minutes)

A ballpark for 30 seconds would likely be around $1600 (including everything). I’d like to have this price for the first one, future pieces could be more or less depending on the actual time spent on the first one.

The current ‘what is bitcoin’ piece is very simple animation and style wise, but assuming you want something more interesting like overkillcoin, it takes longer.

I do encourage you to put my legal name or business name in the credits of any ppc video, for these reasons:

1. Those seeing ‘overkillcoin’ may be confused and imagine it to be a conflict of interest

2. Those seeing the PPC video and then looking up the overkillcoin video may be new to cryptos and not get the jokes therein

3. Serious investors seeing a tie (even superficial) between the overkillcoin piece and PPC may not see this as a favourable thing. Though a parody, overkillcoin is still a “brand” that’s “marketed” through the video and it may muddy the waters.

4. The Overkillcoin Youtube channel may have other forthcoming videos that are equally (or more) crazy, and I’d feel bad if the future pieces, if turning anyone off, would reflect poorly on PPC. I can agree henceforth not to depict PPC in any way.

NOTE: I don’t mind if overkillcoin makes a cameo appearance in a PPC video, that’s something I think I saw mentioned… but please for your own sakes, use caution, he’s a little too wild for some tastes.

Hope these answers help move things along.

You have my email as well:
overkillcoin@gmail.com -

$1600 for a first video, 30 seconds long, as part of an ongoing series, is reasonable.

If someone can finance this project, I recommend:

1. 50% up front, 50% upon delivery

2. Whoever can put up the funds quickly (2 or 3 people) as a loan to the community should do so… Large coin holders (in excess of 10,000 PPC you know who you are)

3. The community will need to create a pay back fundraiser to accumulate the $1600 to the people who foot the bill before we do a second video

This gives us something tangible to work with, it gets production underway immediately, and we can get moving asap.

What 2 or 3 peercoiners are willing to go in on this? I own probably less peercoin that most people on this board. I’m just enthusiastic about the project. Looking at my tip jar, that’s empty too, so it can’t be me.

Anyone? Recommendations, etc? Time is of the essence here.

I think not many people would step forward in public. We need a trusted fundraiser. Keen to hear from Super3 as he posted in this thread that he was trying to get it together.

I’m still good to set something up on peer4commit where people can donate anonymously. Not perfect, but the best we have. We can now release the funds in chunks of 5% to the receiver (only 20 commits), but it has to be all in Peercoins. I’m only not sure whether people would trust me in setting this up and donating towards such a project. Maybe this needs to be a one of the long term members. Just PM me as one of you need some help to set it up.

$1600 per 30 seconds, if we want 8 minutes like the example it would be $25,600
(just saying, it could be > $1600)

[quote=“irritant, post:29, topic:2095”]$1600 per 30 seconds, if we want 8 minutes like the example it would be $25,600
(just saying, it could be > $1600)[/quote]

You’re right.

With regard to the 30 second video costing $1600… There is a “base price” that needs to be fulfilled to make it worthwhile for any production team. You are not paying per second. (Not saying you said that, just echoing the same idea).

For instance, when you order a pizza, do you pay 25 cents per inch, or is there a general “medium pizza is $5.00” then add extras and toppings.

What you’re getting for $1600 is the base price for a video for 30 seconds. It’s quite involved, you have:

a) Scripting
b) Storyboarding
c) Voice Overs
d) Animation
e) Editing

10 seconds extra is much easier to add, once you lay the foundation of the main video. Yes, $1600 is reasonable for such a thing. Don’t believe it? Call any video company in your area and ask them that you want to shoot an animated 30 second commercial and watch how fast the cost is waaaay more than $1600 for an animated cartoon commercial.

For this very reason, let’s not discuss price anymore. Let’s figure out funding and the quickest way to secure this…

Overkillcoin is doing us a favor here, at the same time, he doesn’t want to lose money on doing it. I appreciate what he’s offering.

Snap up this opportunity people. If I had the funds, we’d already be waiting for coin confirmations because I would have sent the $1600 already.

Overkillcoin: Thank you. Peercoin, as you know (especially in your last animation) is like the underdog in the industry because it’s undervalued and unappreciated. Thanks for helping us out with the first video and keeping the costs down. Once we get one out, new investors will start showing up, which will raise our budget constraints. Thanks again for the help for video #1

I think this will be hard for the first eye-catcher video. I don’t see that as the target audience.[/quote]

I do. How else are they going to be able to get PPC? They can’t go to a Bitcoin ATM and buy some. They can’t go to localbitcoins.com and buy any. Instead, the only way they will get PPC in their portfolio is to use an exchange and sell some other coin to purchase PPC.

I don’t think there is really a specific date yet, just as soon as is reasonably possible, as this is something we have been needing for quite a while.

[quote=“overkillcoin, post:26, topic:2095”]I do encourage you to put my legal name or business name in the credits of any ppc video, for these reasons:

1. Those seeing ‘overkillcoin’ may be confused and imagine it to be a conflict of interest

2. Those seeing the PPC video and then looking up the overkillcoin video may be new to cryptos and not get the jokes therein

3. Serious investors seeing a tie (even superficial) between the overkillcoin piece and PPC may not see this as a favourable thing. Though a parody, overkillcoin is still a “brand” that’s “marketed” through the video and it may muddy the waters.

4. The Overkillcoin Youtube channel may have other forthcoming videos that are equally (or more) crazy, and I’d feel bad if the future pieces, if turning anyone off, would reflect poorly on PPC. I can agree henceforth not to depict PPC in any way.

NOTE: I don’t mind if overkillcoin makes a cameo appearance in a PPC video, that’s something I think I saw mentioned… but please for your own sakes, use caution, he’s a little too wild for some tastes.[/quote]

I agree. The first few videos shouldn’t involve overkillcoin anyway, they should focus solely on Peercoin.

For now, I agree with ppcman that we should start thinking about the first video, which will be targeted at people who are already familiar with cryptocurrency. It should be an intro to the significance of Peercoin and proof of stake.

Sentinelrv was in favor of using a professional voice, so as long as it is not too expensive then it’s definitely worth considering.

Ok I agree that we should make these quick 30 second videos, and in the future we can string them together to make a general Peercoin video. Lets wait to hear back from our main sponsor about the funds, before we go draining the web repo of PPC.

Also I was thinking perhaps the videos should have Peercoin personified as a superhero. That way each 30 second segment could be a quick “adventure” and flow together.

Super, I sent a message to Teek alerting him of your PM, just in case he wasn’t paying attention. Hopefuly he’ll get back to us soon. I noticed he was already online today.

Our own variation of something like this? We could replace the face with our P with the green leaf.

(That image is copyright, so we’d have to make our own from scratch)

Here is my effort to create a temporary but transparent fundraising structure for the Peercoin video.

The charter for the fundraiser can be found here: https://github.com/Cybnate/Peercoin-Marketing-Video/blob/master/README.md
Questions around the fundraising can go here (http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2561) where I’ve also posted the charter.

Donations can be done through peer4commit.com, look for project “cybnate/Peercoin-Marketing-Video” or go direct to: http://peer4commit.com/projects/68 where you can find the address to donate.

Please let me know if the charter needs more specifics. I’ve tried to leave enough room for the community to discuss the content and still have a way to meet the requirements when the video is delivered later. I suggest that the details of the video content is a discussion which should continue in this thread. Just to separate the fundraising from the content creation.

btw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW-oUXqomT0 ;D

awesome

Let’s start to nail down an idea for a script.

Since PPC doesn’t have any viable intro as of yet, would you agree that it’s best to make a general intro that sums things up for novices?

I’ll begin with a script in an outline form to save time. This is a stage where I’ll need the heaviest concentration of comments/feedback. I do plan to do research, however you’ll all have the final say.

Planning to start tomorrow (tuesday)