[MF] Videos and Content for peercoin.net

Contact Information
I am Chronos on Peercointalk. You can reach me by PM on this forum, or by email at chronos.crypto at gmail dot com.

Submission date
Thursday, July 17th, 2014.

Summary
I propose to take a lead role on content creation for the new peercoin.net website, working directly with TheWildHorse to produce the written and video content necessary for launch.

Details
It has become clear that the community effort to redesign the peercoin.net website would benefit from a dedicated individual to head up content creation. In this role, I will edit and/or create written content, as needed, for the pages listed in the below PDF document. In addition to the written content, I will create short instructional videos for specific pages, as listed below.

The following pages will receive content work: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16393012/Peercoin-content.pdf

The following candidate pages will also receive short instructional videos, unless it becomes clear that they will not be beneficial:

[ul][li]Individual: What you can do with Peercoin (saving and spending)[/li]
[li]Merchant: Why you would accept PPC at your business[/li]
[li]Developer: How to get involved in PPC development[/li]
[li]Miner: How to mine PPC (SHA256 explanation, pool mining)[/li]
[li]Why Peercoin: An overview of the major Peercoin features[/li]
[li]Mining Explanation: How Peercoin mining works (reward based on hashrate, etc.)[/li]
[li]Minting Explanation: How Peercoin minting works (1% annual reward, etc.)[/li][/ul]

Target audience
All visitors to the Peercoin.net website, looking to learn about Peercoin. This will likely not be those new to crypto, but instead those who are looking for Peercoin’s competitive advantage over bitcoin and other altcoins.

Budget
The bid for this project is $1695. At today’s exchange rate near $1.40/PPC, this is approximately 1200 PPC.

The detailed budget is as follows:

[ul][li]10 pages of content @ $35 = $350[/li]
[li]7 recorded videos @ $175 = $1225[/li]
[li]Iterative community feedback & integration: $120[/li][/ul]

Deadlines
Sentinelrv has proposed a 100 PPC loan that will get this project started immediately. Voting is planned to be completed on this proposal by August 2nd. If approved by this date, the following are the project deadlines:

[ul][li]Monday, Aug 11: all written content drafts published for community review and feedback[/li]
[li]Monday, Aug 25: all written content finalized[/li]
[li]Monday, Sept 8: all video content published[/li][/ul]

Metrics
Metrics for the peercoin.net website can be measured via Google Analytics. However, this proposal is specifically for the content creation, so no specific metrics are tied to its completion.

Funds management
Payment for this project can be sent to the Chronos Crypto account at Peer4Commit.

Thank you for your consideration!

Thank you for posting this Chronos. As I said in the web design thread, it has become painfully obvious that we can’t simply rely on volunteers to write the content for the website. I’ve tried for several weeks now to motivate people to help out with almost no results. It’s clear that this is going to end up being a huge undertaking. We need an updated website rather urgently, therefore I’m in agreement that we need to hire a dedicated person for the role of content creation. TheWildHorse can’t do it all by himself. You’ve proven that you’re able to handle large projects like these and that you’re able to convey information about Peercoin in an easy to understand manner.

I do have a couple questions:

1. About the “Individual” page. Is this going to be one page that includes info for savers and spenders? Or, is the “Individual” page going to be split into two pages and replaced with “Saver” and “Spender?”
2. I’ve been trying to figure out what the developer page will consist of. Is this a page that explains how Peercoin works in a more technical way that only developers will be able to understand? Or is it a page that provides specific information that people will need to know in order to get started developing for Peercoin? Maybe these two are similar?
3. TheWildHorse has mentioned that as you get into the user type pages, there will be links to sub-pages that explain things even more. Let’s say that you’re writing content for the pages that are already listed in the pdf document and it becomes clear that several new pages may need to be created for whatever reason (Maybe to explain one of Peercoin’s many concepts or to define a word). These additional pages weren’t included in the original proposal, because you didn’t realize you needed them until later when you got deeper into the project. Would these potential additional pages be an added cost on top of the $1,695, or would they be created free of charge?

Also, please let me know when you would need the 100 PPC loan payment.

[quote=“Chronos, post:1, topic:2686”]Budget
The bid for this project is $1695. At today’s exchange rate near $1.40/PPC, this is approximately 1200 PPC.[/quote]

Can you please give a more detailed budget.

Since this a large proposal, I would prefer to have at least 7 days of discussion before voting.

Also, there is obviously some crossover between the two funds, but I would like some clarification on why the marketing fund should be used instead of the existing peercoin.net peer4commit.

[quote=“Chronos, post:1, topic:2686”][ul][li]Monday, Aug 4: all written content drafts published for community review and feedback[/li]
[li]Monday, Aug 11: all written content finalized[/li]
[li]Monday, Aug 18: all video content published[/li][/ul][/quote]

Hi, Chronos

Thank you for your proposal. I think the dates suggested above are too early/crammed

I would prefer an initial period of discussion, to consider questions such as those raised by Sentinel (e.g. what do we mean by developer) and what sub-pages there might be

I also think the community review period (4-11 August) is too short. Please consider allowing for at least two weeks, perhaps three.

[quote=“RobertLloyd, post:156, topic:2499”]Once Chronos has finished each page, it can be presented for Community comment and review. Chronos can then make necessary amendments

If there is particular content (or its omission) that is controversial, we can resolve it by a debate and vote[/quote]
In a general sense, this is correct, and I will post all written content for review and discussion. Also, remember that changes can be made by anyone, after the project is finished, since it is open source.

This is a level of detail that can be decided even after the project is approved. We can do either one, and I was also considering “Consumer.”

I think this section would primarily serve as a portal to Peer4commit. It would also explain that a lot of Peercoin code comes from Bitcoin, so people coming from Bitcoin would be able to jump in with relative ease.

Breaking anything from the PDF document into subpages won’t imply additional cost. The same is true for including a new small page such as a “definition” page. The purpose of the document is to scope out the general size of the project, so it would take the inclusion of large pages, or additional videos, to affect the cost.

The detailed budget is as follows (I have added this info to the proposal):

[ul][li]10 pages of content @ $35 = $350[/li]
[li]7 recorded videos @ $175 = $1225[/li]
[li]Iterative community feedback & integration: $120[/li]
[li]Total: $1695[/li][/ul]

That’s fine with me. This will affect the “deadlines” portion of the proposal.

This came out of a discussion in the web development thread. Sentinelrv wrote:

See also Future Web Development - Appearance & Visual Style.

[quote=“RobertLloyd, post:4, topic:2686”]I would prefer an initial period of discussion, to consider questions such as those raised by Sentinel (e.g. what do we mean by developer) and what sub-pages there might be

I also think the community review period (4-11 August) is too short. Please consider allowing for at least two weeks, perhaps three.[/quote]
That’s excellent feedback. I have adjusted the schedule from one week of discussion, to two. These dates may also be moved out by a lengthened voting schedule, as River333 proposes.

Based on the updated request and the details provided by Chronos, I would like to cast a vote of YES for this proposal.

A lot of money is being requested here, but I feel it’s totally worth it. This is going to be a lot of work for Chronos. This website needs to be completed as soon as possible. Once it’s done, it will allow us to do many things. We’ll be able to have a dedicated place for advertising our animated video. We’ll have different informative pages that we can send people to learn more, plus instructional videos for installing and using the 2 wallets. We’ll have a news blog to keep people coming back to the website. We’ll finally have a newsletter setup where people can receive news via email. We’ll also finally be able to post a new official thread for Peercoin on BitcoinTalk. River made a new one, but I’ve been holding off on posting it until we had our animated video and website complete, Peerunity 0.2 release and possibly even NuBits. We want to look as good as possible when reintroducing ourselves back into the conversation on BitcoinTalk.

So the website being completed is a HUGE deal. We have a designer. We just need somebody to take the lead on content creation. Chronos can help move this project along to completion, so I vote YES!

Just want to say thanks to Chronos to take the time to post this interesting proposal.

I like to say that I also not sure about using the Marketing Fund for this as there is already a dedicated website fund. I don’t want to default to the Marketing Fund just because we have more responsive fundmanagers and a clear process for it.

I like to understand better how @thewildhorse is currently been funded and for how long. If this does exhaust the website fund in the short term, then I would consider using the Marketing Fund. I just don’t want to muddle the waters between the two too much.

An other option is that the remaining website funds are transferred to the Marketing Fund. A variation on this could be to transfer it to a separate Marketing Fund with dedicated website development funds but adhering to the same rules as the Marketing Fund. This will need to be discussed with @super3 who is currently the fund manager for the website.

I support the 1 week extension for discussion as asked by river333 given the above and the size of the request.

@Ben and Sentinelrv, voting only starts after the discussion. I appreciate to know that you support it though.

[sub]Cybnate here: I’m using this account as my Cybnate account is currently unable to post or chat. The forum administrator is looking into this, but it seems to be hard to fix. Please send a PM to Cybnate if you like to verify this account as I CAN send and receive PMs. River333 and sentinelrv will also be able to confirm this[/sub]

I believe Super said he had enough funds for a couple months worth of work and that’s when the price was still around $2. If that’s true then paying Chronos out of that fund as well would most likely empty it. I figured we could just pay the actual web design out of that fund and the content out of the marketing fund. The informational pages and videos will be a great resource to send people to learn more.

We should see exactly how much is in the web design fund though.

Even tho I don’t have much say in this, sentinel requested me to share my opinion on the subject.

The current Peer4Commit (atleast that’s what it says) on the Peercoin.net project is estimated at around $3593 USD.
Which means that after Chronos finishes the project, the project will have around $1898 in the bank.

To my eye, this should cover my expenses, but I am not sure how much work will all of this content require to be reintroduced to the site. And we also have some a bit “heavier” features such as a blog system integration to put in. That being said, and while I think it is enough personally, you risk of getting the Peercoin.net project pretty dried up for any future changes after we are done with the overhaul…

I would maybe look into financing a quarter of it from the MF and then the rest from the website fund, but again, I am no really a person that you should listen to, just wanted to throw a bug in your ear so you see that there is a third way.

I am also curious about the Peer4Commit fund. On July 12, we learned of an invoice:

Then on July 13, it was paid:

[quote=“TheWildHorse, post:108, topic:2499”][quote=“Sentinelrv, post:107, topic:2499”][quote=“super3, post:106, topic:2499”]I apologize for the delay. My fault entirely. Was finishing up my last college credits, and had exams on Weds. I’m now full time Bitcoin, and working on catching up with everything, so I will be a bit more active soon.

Syncing my hotwallet now. Will send you the PPC when its done + a little bonus from me for the delay[/quote]

That’s good to hear. :)[/quote]
It is all sorted![/quote]
Was this paid out of the Peer4Commit fund? According to the fund page at http://peer4commit.com/projects/50, the only distribution made to TheWildHorse at that time was 7.93 PPC for an XSS exploit fix (see http://peer4commit.com/projects/50/distributions/282).

It makes sense to me to use the Peer4Commit funds for this project, since they are earmarked for peercoin.net, and that is the primary purpose of this work. However, it’s not clear to me how such an arrangement would be made, logistically speaking.

The fund page, http://peer4commit.com/projects/50, lists Ben, Fuzzybear, Super3, and TheWildHorse as the fundraisers. Does this mean that any one of them can pay out from the fund? If so, could TheWildHorse have fulfilled his own invoice with the fund? As you can see, I have a lot to learn. :slight_smile:

I am probably listed as a fundraiser because I have write access to the peercoin.net GitHub repo.
I do not intend to make any withdrawals myself, even if it is possible (honestly haven’t even looked into that, simply because I don’t care). My costs have, and always will be covered by Super3 as that is the agreement we had when I started this project. At least until we make different arrangements.

@super3 has been withdrawing large amounts from the second peercoin.net fund lately. http://peer4commit.com/projects/2. I suspect that he has been paying @thewildhorse from this fund. He is paying this into his own account first for some reason. In this fund is still 500 PPC left as we speak.

To me this and based on the other replies, it shows that there are adequate and designated funds for peercoin.net to proceed with @Chronos proposal. However, I do struggle with this as websites are usually an integrated part of Marketing. I hope we can get some other people to chime in with their opinions in the next week or so before we vote. The last thing I want is holding up this work because we can’t agree where it needs to be paid from.

Maybe it is best to continue with the process and getting as much understanding and clarity from @chronos so we can vote on his proposal. River333 or I (Cybnate) can try to contact @super3 and see whether he is willing to pay @chronos either partially or fully from the peercoin.net fund.

@thewildhorse, @chronos yes, @thewildhorse could technically pay himself, but we would all be able to see that at least. This is an unfortunate result from a peer4commit.com migration of user data a while ago. At present only the initial creator of a github account would become fundraiser. I know that Sigmike will be working soon on functionality to add and remove fundraisers as this is high on the priority list for needed features.

[quote=“PPC Marketing Fund, post:13, topic:2686”]@super3 has been withdrawing large amounts from the second peercoin.net fund lately. http://peer4commit.com/projects/2. I suspect that he has been paying @thewildhorse from this fund. He is paying this into his own account first for some reason. In this fund is still 500 PPC left as we speak.

To me this and based on the other replies, it shows that there are adequate and designated funds for peercoin.net to proceed with @Chronos proposal. However, I do struggle with this as websites are usually an integrated part of Marketing. I hope we can get some other people to chime in with their opinions in the next week or so before we vote. The last thing I want is holding up this work because we can’t agree where it needs to be paid from.

Maybe it is best to continue with the process and getting as much understanding and clarity from @chronos so we can vote on his proposal. River333 or I (Cybnate) can try to contact @super3 and see whether he is willing to pay @chronos either partially or fully from the peercoin.net fund.

@thewildhorse, @chronos yes, @thewildhorse could technically pay himself, but we would all be able to see that at least. This is an unfortunate result from a peer4commit.com migration of user data a while ago. At present only the initial creator of a github account would become fundraiser. I know that Sigmike will be working soon on functionality to add and remove fundraisers as this is high on the priority list for needed features.[/quote]
Just a quick note, I see that there were 2 withdrawals of 1000PPC from that fund. I wanted to take note that I have aquired only 200PPC from this project so far, so this is not going into my pocket. Just wanted to make that clear.

@Chronos, with the only metric basically being completion, can you tell us a bit more about each of the seven videos:

1. the average length of each video
  2. the license
  3. type of video (e.g. similar to your earlier work, number of animations, number of original illustrations, sound, music)
  4. Voice (assuming yourself)
  5. Involvement of others in content creation/development except @thewildhorse which you mentioned.
    (is that the same as iterative community feedback?)

Can you elaborate on how you would go with the iterative community feedback? Would you proceed similar to what @sentinelrv has been doing, but just making a call on your experience if there is no adequate feedback after a few days?

@thewildhorse, it is all right and thanks for clarifying. It is @super3 responsibility to clarify what he is doing with the funds.
It is a bit unfortunate that there currently appears to be a lack of transparency on this. He might have exchanged and hedged some PPC to US$ in order to ensure he is able to pay you. One can add descriptions to fund transfers in peer4commit, but this hasn’t been done. But again, his responsibility.

Cybnate, if you need to contact Super about the funds, he usually answers his email address more than his PM’s. Try him here: me [at] super3.org.

Hedging the funds against USD is well outside the responsibilities of the fund manager. I hate to say this, but withdrawing 1000 PPC at a time, without the recipient noted in these forums or in the transfer comments, smells of fraud. I say this very reluctantly, because I know Super3 is a respected member of the community. I sincerely hope there is a simple explanation. Can the rest of the funds he controls on Peer4Commit be frozen until he is able to be reached?

Anyway, to answer Cybnate’s questions:

[quote=“PPC Marketing Fund, post:15, topic:2686”]@Chronos, with the only metric basically being completion, can you tell us a bit more about each of the seven videos:

1. the average length of each video[/quote]
    This will vary, depending on the content. More complex videos (minting, for example) may reach or exceed 10 minutes, while simple ones would be 2 to 3 minutes. I would estimate the average length to be 5 minutes. (I severely underestimated the length of the Intro to Peercoin video, so this may be on the low side.)

This would be the same as the Intro to Peercoin video. The videos would be hosted at the Chronos Crypto channel, and be free to use for the promotion of Peercoin by the entire Peercoin community.

Similar to my earlier work. Sound and music are not currently my forte (haha pun), so you can expect something similar to the Intro to Peercoin video.

That’s correct – my voice, obscured by less water drinking than ever before! :wink:

[quote=“PPC Marketing Fund, post:15, topic:2686”]5) Involvement of others in content creation/development except @thewildhorse which you mentioned.

Can you elaborate on how you would go with the iterative community feedback?[/quote]
Sure thing. This plan comes partly from Sentinelrv’s request to keep the development process public. Here’s a breakdown of the project schedule:

[ol][li]The written content of all site pages will be posted on these forums by a certain deadline. The exact date depends on when the project is approved.[/li]
[li]Over the following two weeks, community members will be able to discuss, critique, suggest changes, etc., which will be worked into further written drafts. This is the two-week “iterative feedback” phase, during which time I will work with everyone to finalize content that best reflects the desires of the community. The content of the associated videos will also be discussed during this time.[/li]
[li]After this two-week phase, the written content will be final, and the video content will be planned. I will produce the video content during a final one-week phase, after which the project will be complete.[/li][/ol]

Thank you for your questions!

Just a quick note, I see that there were 2 withdrawals of 1000PPC from that fund. I wanted to take note that I have aquired only 200PPC from this project so far, so this is not going into my pocket. Just wanted to make that clear.[/quote]

[quote=“PPC Marketing Fund, post:15, topic:2686”]@thewildhorse, it is all right and thanks for clarifying. It is @super3 responsibility to clarify what he is doing with the funds.
It is a bit unfortunate that there currently appears to be a lack of transparency on this. He might have exchanged and hedged some PPC to US$ in order to ensure he is able to pay you. One can add descriptions to fund transfers in peer4commit, but this hasn’t been done. But again, his responsibility.[/quote]

Hello Super3, 20 July 2014

I am sending you this message both by PM on the peercointalk.org forum and by email at this address: me@super3.org.

I have included the above quotes of concern about your management of funds that are not your personal funds.

It is in your personal best interests to address clearly and in detail the concern expressed in the above quotes.

NewMoneyEra

Edit: The entire above message with quotes which contain this thread address have been sent by PM and email with IMPORTANT! in the subject line.

Sorry for not being communicative about funds. I was taking out the funds in the old unused repo, and moving it into a a wallet for web funds. Now that I’m full time Bitcoin, I’m working on some of my plans for Peercoin.

I was preparing a document for the addresses and fund usage. If I’m hiring freelancers like TheWildHorse, I need to be up front about how much he is being paid etc. I spent too much time trying to set up scripting with Blockr to finish it, and had to fly out the Chicago conference. I have to get back to Atlanta before I can finish it up.

The document is here:

Sorry again for not being communicative.

Super3,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I’m glad this can be sorted out. I appreciate the job you’re doing as fund manager, and I apologize for implying a potential mishandling.

Can you please outline the total amount of publicly-owned PPC designated for Peercoin.net, and how it has been spent over the past month? It’s not clear to me whether the address in your linked document is associated with the totals on Peer4Commit.

It would also be great to hear your thoughts on using the Peercoin.net funds on the proposal in the opening post of this thread.

Thank you!