[MF] Videos and Content for peercoin.net

Hi, Chronos
What is the relationship between the videos proposed here, and those proposed on the other thread?
Thanks

The conversation at Next Steps for Chronos Crypto Youtube Channel is simply a casual discussion about what videos might be useful to the Peercoin community, in the future. It is not an official proposal for any video or set of videos.

This thread, however, outlines a concrete plan for a specific set of content for the new Peercoin.net website, which will be produced if approved by the community.

With regards to the webpages, we get a chance to review and critique

The videos, however, can’t be reviewed (otherwise, they would have to be done twice). Can you draw up a skeleton plan of each video. Nothing major, just a paragraph

Having said that, I suppose they will follow the content of your written pieces?

Certainly. A general outline of each video will be posted for community review, along with the written content.

Thanks @chronos for the clarifying answers to my questions.

I’ve asked @super3 for his thoughts about the best way to fund your proposal assuming the community vote for it.

I also like to determine the day the discussion on this proposal ends and the voting starts.
I suggest this will be on 31 July 12.00 UTC allowing for a total of 2 weeks of discussion. I suggest the voting can still happen within 3 days ending 2 August.

Regarding RobertLloyd’s question, I think he is asking for an outline in advance, so it can be part of the discussion of the proposal. I would appreciate that anyway if possible.

BTW My account is working again as you can see :slight_smile:

[quote=“Chronos, post:20, topic:2686”]Super3,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I’m glad this can be sorted out. I appreciate the job you’re doing as fund manager, and I apologize for implying a potential mishandling.

Can you please outline the total amount of publicly-owned PPC designated for Peercoin.net, and how it has been spent over the past month? It’s not clear to me whether the address in your linked document is associated with the totals on Peer4Commit.

It would also be great to hear your thoughts on using the Peercoin.net funds on the proposal in the opening post of this thread.

Thank you![/quote]This is why I was moving the funds to another wallet, so I could prepare a clear account of fund usage which could be verified by a simple look at a block explorer. Seems like there was a bunch of mis-communication in this, so all the funds were sent back to the Peercoin.net repo. I propose we do a full stop on development for Peercoin.net and any content. We seem to be creating all these “things” but with no clear goals or objectives.

Notice how things were developed for http://storj.io. The clear goals are to go to the crowdsale or sign up for the invite. On the Peercoin.net site we have way too many buttons and places. TheWhildHorses design simplified that a bit, but its far from fixed.

I think the only clear goal is to get people to download the wallet, and receive/send any amount of Peercoin. After that there should be a clear resource pages, then a guide for mining/minting. The stats speak for themselves:

[quote=“super3, post:26, topic:2686”]I propose we do a full stop on development for Peercoin.net and any content. We seem to be creating all these “things” but with no clear goals or objectives.

Notice how things were developed for http://storj.io. The clear goals are to go to the crowdsale or sign up for the invite. On the Peercoin.net site we have way too many buttons and places. TheWhildHorses design simplified that a bit, but its far from fixed.

I think the only clear goal is to get people to download the wallet, and receive/send any amount of Peercoin. After that there should be a clear resource pages, then a guide for mining/minting. The stats speak for themselves:[/quote]

I agree these are important, but what I’m concerned about is whether we’re able to use the website to communicate why they should be downloading our wallet in the first place. Maybe some of the extras can be cut, but we need to make sure there is well designed content in place that explains what Peercoin is, what makes it better/different and why they should care.

Thanks for doing this. We still have funds at the peercoin_website_old repo at http://peer4commit.com/projects/2 – is this intended, or are they on the way out?

[quote=“Cybnate, post:25, topic:2686”]I also like to determine the day the discussion on this proposal ends and the voting starts.
I suggest this will be on 31 July 12.00 UTC allowing for a total of 2 weeks of discussion. I suggest the voting can still happen within 3 days ending 2 August.[/quote]
Sounds like a plan. I have updated the project deadlines in the opening post to reflect these dates.

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:27, topic:2686”][quote=“super3, post:26, topic:2686”]I propose we do a full stop on development for Peercoin.net and any content. We seem to be creating all these “things” but with no clear goals or objectives.

I think the only clear goal is to get people to download the wallet, and receive/send any amount of Peercoin. After that there should be a clear resource pages, then a guide for mining/minting. The stats speak for themselves:[/quote]

I agree these are important, but what I’m concerned about is whether we’re able to use the website to communicate why they should be downloading our wallet in the first place. Maybe some of the extras can be cut, but we need to make sure there is well designed content in place that explains what Peercoin is, what makes it better/different and why they should care.[/quote]

Super, you’re kind of dropping a bomb on us here, so before we continue down this path, I first want to make sure you are up to date on our progress and understand what we’re trying to do. I know you’ve been busy with Storj, so you probably haven’t had a chance to keep up. First, please look over this document if you haven’t already, as it details the structure of the website that we already have planned…

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16393012/Peercoin-content.pdf

Now please look at this concept image, which is the latest version of the home page design…

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/Sentinelrv/Other-Images/PeercoinnetRedesign4.png~original

The first thing to note is that the 3 features listed need to be changed to Peercoin related features, as well as all of the icons. Right now they’re all temporary placeholders. Now if you’ve already looked over the document above, you’ll see on the concept image that there is a “Why Peercoin?” button in the logo banner and the 3 “Learn More” buttons under each main feature. All 4 of these buttons will link the user to the same page, which is a general info page explaining what Peercoin is, what makes it better/different and why they should care. It will include short text blurbs for different subjects, imagery that explains concepts visually and a video that Chronos will make that will go over the entire page, maybe even the new animated video as well. The purpose of this page is to get the user excited about Peercoin. Then at the end/bottom of the page we stick the link to the download wallet page.

Your stated goal for the entire website is to get people to download and use the wallet. So when they load up the website they immediately see 2 green buttons under the logos. One button is for downloading the wallet. If they came to the website just to download, there is the link for that. The second button will take them as I said to this general information page. It’s basically a sales page with the purpose of building interest and excitement in Peercoin. This page eventually leads them to the wallet download link.

Now if for some reason the user got to the home page and didn’t click either of those 2 buttons, if they scroll down the page just a little bit, they’ll be greeted by 3 feature teasers. If they finally click one of the buttons here to learn more, they will again be taken to the same sales page, which will build excitement and lead them to the wallet download page. So as you should see, everything on the home page so far is laid out to take the user to a sales page, which is designed to build interest so that they hit that download link. So far I think the intended layout accomplishes your goal of getting people to download the wallet.

Now, this next portion of the website is where I think it moves away from your intended goal. If you go back to the home page and look below the 3 feature teasers, you’ll see 4 user types. If you look at the document linked above, you’ll see this will be expanded to 5 user types, Saver, Consumer, Merchant, Developer and Miner. Each of these user type pages will contain helpful (but limited) information that applies specifically to that type of person. For example, Saver will most likely explain how Peercoin is a great store of wealth, how to keep your coins safe and it will contain links to the minting guide, so they can get started with that. The Consumer page will explain how to send and receive coins and pay for things. The Merchant page will explain how to accept Peercoin as payment. The Developer page will serve as a portal to get people started on the Peercoin projects currently listed on Peer4commit. And finally, the Miner page will most likely link to the mining explanation page and guide.

So the top half of the home page is dedicated to leading the viewer to a page that sells them on Peercoin and gets them to download the wallet. The lower half of the home page is designed to meet the needs of specific types of people that are visiting the website for information. I personally think this is a great setup, however I’m not a web designer, so maybe you know something I don’t. If you wanted to simplify the website even further than this and you needed to remove something, I would say the user type pages could be removed, but everything else is vital. What do you think about all this? Does it make sense to you or no? Please let us know, because we need to make some decisions here soon.

Sentinel summed up my plan pretty well. Bitcoin.org does something similar.

Basically, the goal is to have a quick start guide for every type of user, without bugging him about unnecessary details, and letting him jump right in. And if they want to learn more, there will be detailed content on each topic.

[quote=“TheWildHorse, post:30, topic:2686”]Sentinel summed up my plan pretty well. Bitcoin.org does something similar.

Basically, the goal is to have a quick start guide for every type of user, without bugging him about unnecessary details, and letting him jump right in. And if they want to learn more, there will be detailed content on each topic.[/quote]

The most important page on the website I would say though is the general info/sales page for Peercoin in which half the links on the home page bring people to. That needs to be top notch and offer compelling arguments/reasons for why Peercoin is special. I’m going to email Super3 to read my reply, so we can see what he says.

Earlier in the thread, I suggested an outline/planning stage. I meant this to be after the vote - but there is no reason why we cannot have it sooner, and overspill after the vote (if need be)

I thought it might help to have a diagram of TheWildHorse’s word document outlining the website plan, so I drew one up.

So as to not jump the gun, or preempt anything, I have copied it exactly as TheWildHorse has described it. The symbols are merely illustrative:

http://i.imgur.com/nnRZVW4.png

Edit: actually, I did add a bit - these are the four wallets in the wallet box. Strictly speaking, the online wallet should not be there, as a dedicated PPC online wallet has not be created yet.

I have posted my ideas regarding content for the homepage. If voters approve this [MF] proposal, you can expect content to be published in a similar fashion, for community discussion, to populate all of the webpages in TheWildHorse’s outline.

Great work, I left a reply.

So I’ve emailed Super3 twice now about the post I made describing our plan for the website. I haven’t received a response yet. I assume he’s busy with Storj or something else. I don’t like the situation we’re in right now where we’re dependent on somebody who isn’t an active contributing member. I’m not trying to criticize Super3, since I know he only has so much time in the day and this project probably isn’t a priority for him. It’s a priority for us though. Many other advertising projects are being held up because this website isn’t finished yet, so we’re wasting valuable time waiting around, meanwhile the price keeps going down. :-\

According to the Peer4commit project page, Ben, Fuzzy, Super3 and TheWildHorse have access to the peercoin.net funds. If Super3 isn’t going to be active enough to deal with these things, maybe we should think about asking him to add Cybnate or River as a fundraiser on the project, so we can be more responsive. I just hate sitting around when we should be getting things done.

To get a head start on the content, I’ve made a temporary loan to Chronos until we can get this sorted out. if I didn’t do this, we wouldn’t be working on the content for the home page right now. What do you all think?

BTW, TheWildHorse mentioned in chat that he’s not absent – he’s just waiting for clarity on this topic.

In my opinion, it makes more sense to use Peercoin.net dedicated funds than to use Peercoin marketing funds for this project, since the content is clearly intended for the website. However, as Cybnate mentioned, the MF charter clearly outlines how to approve its usage, which makes it an “easier” candidate.

At this point, the number of community members who have replied to this thread is indicative that the project may only barely get enough “Peervotes” to be approved, if all are in favor (see the MF charter for details on large proposals). I don’t know what kind of approval it would require to allocate Peer4Commit funds towards this.

The decision is ultimately up to the community.

Open to everyone’s thoughts.

Yes, here was his reply…

So is TWH waiting for an update from Super3 on this thread, or something else? And it seems he has been busy with Storj then. If it’s going to be like this all the time, I still think he should delegate the responsibility of the peercoin.net funds to somebody else, so we don’t have to wait around all the time. Let’s see what he says first.

I think so as well now. I just checked and we currently have 4,546 PPC on hand, plus another 451 PPC in the deprecated fund. This is plenty to fund both design and conent. All we need right now is Super3 here to approve of our plan, or to delegate responsibility if he’s going to be absent most of the time.

I don’t think this is true. I think people are just waiting for the voting process to begin. I haven’t really seen any opposition to the idea, just confusion about where the money is coming from. If it comes out of the marketing fund, we can make sure to let people know to vote when the time comes. If it comes out of the Peer4commit fund, Super3 will have to approve the project. I think we’ve made a good case for it.

If neither wants to fund this then I will. This website needs to be done as soon as possible. It’s holding up too many other projects. It’s pointless to go on an advertising/marketing spree if our website is outdated and contains old information and guides. We need to boost our image first and make it easier for newbies to get started before trying to recruit new people through advertising efforts.

Well, I still respond directly to him, and he said something about freezing the project. I want to get that cleared out of the way before I start clocking any more hours in, an invoice is already outstanding, and clocking more hours with talks of stopping this is irresponsible on my part.

Second thing I need to discuss is the technical issue I mentioned in the Future web development topic, if we do go forward, we have to figure out a way to get that sorted so I can start working on the blog while waiting for content to be created.

[quote=“TheWildHorse, post:38, topic:2686”]Well, I still respond directly to him, and he said something about freezing the project. I want to get that cleared out of the way before I start clocking any more hours in, an invoice is already outstanding, and clocking more hours with talks of stopping this is irresponsible on my part.

Second thing I need to discuss is the technical issue I mentioned in the Future web development topic, if we do go forward, we have to figure out a way to get that sorted so I can start working on the blog while waiting for content to be created.[/quote]

We understand. Unfortunately, there’s nothing any of us can really do about it but wait. :frowning:

I haven’t had a reply to my email and PM to super3. I still hope he replies over the weekend.

Given all the plans and having two qualified people waiting, I will definitely support @chronos with his proposal, even if we have to pay the whole amount from the Marketing Fund. We can still deal with fund transfers later.

However when it is true that @super3 is stopping the funding of @thewildhorse then I’m not sure if it makes sense to continue. We really need clarity about that before the voting starts and I would consider postponing voting if there is no clarity in this area by next week. To me it won’t make sense to have @chronos running and @thewildhorse waiting. They need to work together on a common plan. I think the plan which has been floated is excellent and can still be tweaked if required.

Regarding participation, I think it is important to continue to have mock-ups of ideas as not many people can easily digest concepts. But once visualized it starts to live for most people and you are more likely to get feedback.