Guide for CPU and GPU Peercoin Mining on Mac OS X - Tested

I worked with OSX 10.6.8, 10.8.5 and 10.9. I could not get anything to work on 10.6.8 and I did not try 10.7. Also, I didn’t try solo mining. I used ppcoin.d7.lt pool mining.

Open an account at D7 and configure your CPU/GPU worker.

If you are GPU mining on an iMac computer, you want to download Macs Fan Control from:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/47386/macs-fan-control
And set the ODD fan (closer to GPU) to “Sensor-based value” to GPU Diode and to start increasing speed at 60C degrees to a max. of 75C degrees. On my Imac, when I let the OSX system control the fan, the GPU Diode temp shoots up to 80C degrees and after enabling Macs Fan Control app the GPU Diode temp drops down to 64 degrees immediately.

If you are running OSX 10.6.8 you need to upgrade to OS X Mavericks 10.9, it’s free from the Mac App Store. If you are running 10.7 or 10.8 you may not need to upgrade at all.

[size=14pt]CPU mining:[/size]
Download MacMiner version 1.5.4 (or experiment with a newer version if available) from http://fabulouspanda.co.uk/macminer/downloads/ you MUST keep the App in the Applications folder.

Every time you open MacMiner, by default it opens the BFG miner, make sure you CLOSE IT every time and go to View menu --> Show CPUMiner. Once the small window opens, click on the gear button. On the following window, click the button “Edit pool settings” empty all the fields but fill out the LTC fields with the pool url of your choice, enter your user name and password or instead use the default in-app options and instructions given --> hit Save & start button to close this window. Now click on Start button and it should start CPU mining now.

[size=14pt]GPU mining:[/size]
Download the full package of cgminer for Mac OS X version 3.7.2 from http://spaceman.ca/cgminer/

When you unzip the downloaded file, it gives you a folder that we don’t need. Just move the App cgminer for Mac OS X to the Applications folder and DO NOT RENAME IT.

You MUST keep the App in the Applications folder and DO NOT OPEN THIS APP. It’s not necessary and it didn’t work for me anyways, we need the files only, not the interface.
Now control+click (right click) the app cgminer for Mac OS X and click --> Show Package Contents. Now navigate to Contents --> Resources folder and here you’ll see a bunch of files, one of them being cgminer.

In this Resources folder, create a text file named mine with the extension .sh (mine.sh). You can use TextEdit.app for this. Inside the mine.sh file you will paste the following:

#!/bin/sh
export DISPLAY=:0
export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1
./cgminer -g 1 -o stratum+tcp://stratum.d7.lt:3333 -u YOURpoolUSERNAME -p YOURpoolPASSWORD --failover-only --intensity=0

If you know the shader value of your GPU then add it. I’m doing fine without it. Leave intensity at 0 to start, you can test higher values later.

Make sure that this mine.sh is saved in the Resources folder.

Now go to the Terminal.app (It’s located in Applications/Utilities folder) and run the following command:

cd /
(hit enter)

Navigate to the Resources folder with this command:
cd ./Applications/cgminer\ for\ Mac\ OS\ X.app/Contents/Resources/
(hit enter)

Assign executable permissions to the file mine.sh with the following command:
chmod a+xrw mine.sh
(hit enter)

And finally run cgminer with this command:
./mine.sh
(hit enter)

Mining will begin as long as you have a decent GPU that supports Open CL.

Best,
Alejandro Scotti

Nice work, Scottialex.

I’l give this setup a try tomorrow on the MacMini that I’ve got sitting in the basement. Glad to see more Mac tutorials for Peercoin :slight_smile:

I just hope that I can help out a little since I’m getting a lot of help from many of you.

GPU mining on my brand new MacMini Server didn’t work, not a usable device. CPU worked fine :slight_smile:

i want to try this out but im runnig 10.6.8 :-\

are u sure that we still can use CPU to mine Peer coin,if Yes, can i rent amazon 3Xlarge computer to mine the peer coin? thanks

Thanks! Got CPU mining on the D7 pool up and working on my macbook pro. Now to see if anything comes of it.

Hi,

New here and interested in mining PPC on my imac. Thx for the guide.

Question: is it better to use CPU or GPU power?

Thx

scottialex,

Thx for the guide. Helped a bunch.

Although I’m able to get 2kh/s with just the default settings compared to 600 mh/s running your custom mine.sh

i5 imac mid 2011 with Radeon 6750m

good guide made topic sticky and changed PPCoin to Peercoin

Fuzzybear

Just a question. When I change the address url to the D7 mining pool I and hit start and save it says that it’s configured but then when I start the miner it says this: The primary pool is set to http://pool.fabulouspanda.co.uk:9327 and the user is set to kazem666.1 Is that the way it is suppose to be?

Ok. I see what I did wrong. I downloaded the wrong version of MacMiner (1.5 instead of 1.4.2.) Seems to be working fine. Time will tell.

Thanks.

you can use the bfgminer window in MacMiner for GPU mining and the latest version only doesn’t support CPU/GPU mining in cgminer, but you can still mine in cpuminer (which uses minerd) and bfgminer in the latest versions on CPU/GPU

to use the bfgminer window click the settings button and make sure enable gpu mining is checked before you start mining

If you DO download the old 1.4.20 version you can use the included cgminer window for GPU mining

To use bfgminer and cgminer you must set up your Peercoin pool as a BTC pool in pool settings and for cpuminer set it up as a litecoin pool, as cpuminer assumes you’re mining litecoin despite PPC’s sha-256 algorithm

You can also use the included bfgminer, cpuminer and in 1.4.20 cgminer binaries at the command line, like so:

cd /Applications/MacMiner.app/Contents/Resources/bfgminer/bin
./bfgminer -g 1 -o stratum+tcp://stratum.d7.lt:3333 -u YOURpoolUSERNAME -p YOURpoolPASSWORD

or
cd /Applications/MacMiner.app/Contents/Resources/cgminer/bin
./cgminer -g 1 -o stratum+tcp://stratum.d7.lt:3333 -u YOURpoolUSERNAME -p YOURpoolPASSWORD

or
cd /Applications/MacMiner.app/Contents/Resources/
./minerd -o stratum+tcp://stratum.d7.lt:3333 -u YOURpoolUSERNAME -p YOURpoolPASSWORD

MacMiner works with 10.7+ and there’s an old version for 10.6

Hi Panda, I got CGminer in your version 1.4.2 to work but it was giving me faulty results, unstable, with errors and the pool wasn’t receiving any data. And the few times that I accidentally used BFGminer I was getting the same faulty results.

I haven’t tried your latest version since you released it after I posted this initial guide.

Are you sure that your post is correct and tested? I know it may sound like a stupid questions since you made the app, but I wasn’t able to reproduce it.

Thanks,
Alejandro

I tested the latest 1.5.3 version with peer coin on bfgminer and it works fine for me, just need to set the BTC pool up the same way you set the LTC pool up

If you let me know what errors you were getting I can help troubleshoot that for you!

Panda, I will try out your newest version and update my guide as necessary. Happy holidays!

Thanks scottialex, you too!

I ordered a new Mac Pro with dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each. It ships in February and I will post hashrate as soon as I get it.

Alejandro

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie here :slight_smile: Can somebody deposit some PPC in my wallet to help get started please?

PHhLtUYVhbhnuMeJJ6fKP826Yff62bthrP

Thank you in advance and Happy new Year!!

Disclosure: I’m very new.
I want to do CPU miner.

I need a bit of help setting up the pool information.
I have set up an account with d7.
my username is sastreen.1.

Where it says “enter your LTC address for rewards here”, what do I put?

What do I put below LTC above username?

Thanks guys.

Hi, when using MacMiner you use the LTC fields to specify the values for CPUminer even if you’re mining Peercoin.

That said, for D7 pool you would enter the following:

Address: stratum+tcp://stratum.d7.lt:3333
User: Your username (sastreen) followed by a . (dot) then your worker name. So it will look like this “sastreen.yourworker”
Password: Your worker password.

Alejandro