Future Web Development - Content & Themes

(This topic was split. Sorry for any inconsistencies) - Sentinelrv

This is what I noted from your response:

Simpler icon set - this one is all over the place, without a set “pattern”, I have to find a set that looks uniformed and that isn’t colorful and buy it
Cheap - change to low cost - will fix this one, no problem
More green on top - I got an idea for a bit different header, I will make it and post an image to see if you like it better
Language selector on top - I will put a small dropdown on top to select languages, putting the languages on top as they are now in the footer would be space consuming
Obstructed logo - Like I said, I have an idea for a bit different header, you might like it, will implement it and show you the result
Miner to the “types” of user - Will add this, a great idea
Simplify - will try to do this as much as I can, but the front page needs to give some regular info

Now this is an important thing you want to decide:
Do you want the frontpage to cater to people with no crypto experience, or to people that already know bitcoin and such?
My personal opinion (could be wrong) is that if you want more people to use it and learn about it, you have to cater to everyone, not expect them to have to learn bitcoin first to use your currency. Because then you are just another alt-coin, and want to be in the background as such for eternity, ie. giving bitcoin the throne, and you just holding onto his belt. Instead, you should be independent.

I think the site target should be primarily non-bitcoiners. They still vastly outnumber the bitcoiners of the world. :slight_smile:

I think we should have a beginners corner or something like that. But it probably needs its own page with step-by-step plan to setup wallet etc. I don’t think it should be on the front-page though as website should be a portal for all.

I hope we can encourage someone to gather or create some Peercoin for beginners material together and pull up a page we can reference to from the portal. Good proposals might be able to get a few PPC from the Marketing Fund once established-

[quote=“TheWildHorse, post:1, topic:2586”]Now this is an important thing you want to decide:
Do you want the frontpage to cater to people with no crypto experience, or to people that already know bitcoin and such?
My personal opinion (could be wrong) is that if you want more people to use it and learn about it, you have to cater to everyone, not expect them to have to learn bitcoin first to use your currency. Because then you are just another alt-coin, and want to be in the background as such for eternity, ie. giving bitcoin the throne, and you just holding onto his belt. Instead, you should be independent.[/quote]

There was a discussion in chat about this. I’ll post a transcript later tonight when I have some time.

On http://i.imgur.com/L4fHjJ0.png

Though I think it is decent, this is not sufficient to attract either people that dont know about cryptos or ppl already familiar with bitcoin because it does not emphasize on the uniqueness of Peercoin.

I am going to develop further my comments, but basically my thinking is that you cannot put the carriage before the horses: first come the concepts, the pitch, the marketing message, then come the design, color palette and other layout.

To me, the uniqueness of peercoin is: Because it can run on low grade devices, peercoin is the only truly (or the MOST) decentralized (crypto) currency.

If the community chooses such a central value, then I think it should be cohesively reflected on every marketing tool beginning by the website.

Now, this central value can be conveyed either directly or indirectly according to whom you are targeting ( peercoin.com : merchants / peercoin.org: more techies)

I think peershares.net layout and way of doing (to the point, economical) is quite sufficient.
Perhaps unifying peercoin.net style with peershares.net could be suitable.

This marketing deck is a solid basis from which to work: http://imgur.com/a/dG66c
Reformatting and reformulating the messages and expressions can, I think, appeal to the average joe that don’t know much or nothing about cryptos. (<— peercoin.com)

Re-using them directly should appeal to ppl already familiar to cryptos (<-- peercoin.org)

By the way, who is in charge of generating a marketing pitch for new website to come?

Sorry @TheWildHorse, I got delayed in posting this…

Sentinelrv: Cybnate or anyone that didn’t see already, our web designer is asking us an important question here: http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2946.msg27987#msg27987

Sentinelrv: “Do you want the frontpage to cater to people with no crypto experience, or to people that already know bitcoin and such?”

river333: I was going to reply but I’m not sure. Looking at other cryptos’ websites, they are mostly aimed at people without crypto experience. But at the same time I think it makes sense to try and integrate Peercoin into the Bitcoin ecosystem instead of trying to create our own from scratch.

Cybnate: it is a fundamental question, ideally he is right, the question is whether the timing is right to do so

Chronos: I think it should target non-bitcoiners.

Cybnate: I think target group is more crypto educated people at the moment, but we shouldn’t leave beginners in the dark. Not sure what is the right balance

Cybnate: We need them both

Chronos: posted in the thread. I agree with Cybnate

Cybnate: Maybe we should invest in a separate starting page for beginners and link to that from homepage

Chronos: agreed.

river333: I don’'t think we can compete with Bitcoin. We should work on getting Bitcoiners to see Peercoin as they see Namecoin, as a complementary rather than alternative

Sentinelrv: Our marketing video in production is currently geared more toward the person that already has experience with cryptos.

Sentinelrv: They’re the people we need to convince about proof-of-stake.

Sentinelrv: Does anyone else feel it would be easier converting people already in cryptos, rather than people who don’t know anything about it?

Chronos: yes. Anyone who is not in crypto, if you talked about Peercoin, would first ask, “but what about Bitcoin?”

Sentinelrv: Yes, because we’re not important yet. Why would they want to use us?

Sentinelrv: People already in Bitcoin can be convinced that proof-of-work isn’t sustainable long-term. Pillow is a great example of that.

Sentinelrv: If we mainly focus on these people, I think we can covert a lot of them to our side.

Sentinelrv: Maybe we should make the front page like 75% crypto people and 25% beginner.

Sentinelrv: Then in the future as we get more popular we start to focus more on attracting people outside the crypto scene.

Sentinelrv: Like Bitcoin currently is.

river333: Yeah I doubt anyone stumbles across Peercoin without going through Bitcoin first

Cybnate: I did :wink: never owned Bitcoin, only to exchange to PPC in early days.

river333: well actually Peercoin was the first crypto I ever owned :stuck_out_tongue:

river333: but I first researched Bitcoin

Cybnate: But that’s because they have more generic information available and better marketing

Cybnate: and they are on top of charts

Cybnate: if Peercoin was on top of chart and had all the information, then you would have different focus

Sentinelrv: Converting Bitcoiners first is a great way to build our community with a lot of new supporters. Then once Peercoin gets to a serious enough level, our large community (By then) will be able to work on attracting the non-crypto people.

river333: but we’re not at top of charts. At the consumer level, there’s no reason to use Peercoin over Bitcoin. There’s actually lots of reasons not to use it at the moment

Sentinelrv: I think we’ll have a hard time if we try to market to non-crypto people right now. Our community isn’t a large enough force yet to tackle that.

Sentinelrv: At least that’s what I think.

Cybnate: Agree with focus, but happy to support beginner’s corner. @river333 that is very true

river333: We can’t compete with Bitcoin as the “payment processor” that they are, for some reason, attempting to be. We have to find a niche within the existing ecosystem

Cybnate: But we can compete them as a heaven and savings account for those in countries with inflationary currencies

Chronos: i’d rather call it a haven. Promising a heaven is a little over the top :slight_smile:

Sentinelrv: Does that sound about right? 75% crypto people, 25% non-crypto for the home page? If so, how could the designer go about setting it up like that?

Cybnate: And there are many beginners… But as said agree with focus 75% / 25% as we can’t take it on all

river333: haven makes it sounds like dodging tax though :wink:

Cybnate: Thanks Chronos

Sentinelrv: We need to provide enough of a way for the beginner to get started.

river333: we can target non-crypto people, just not for “fast and cheap transactions”

Sentinelrv: The 75% I assume would be info about Peercoin’s specific features. What would the 25% consist of?

Cybnate: Provide a few beginner specific links, wallet download, how to get coins, how to mint. As said ideally I would like to see a separate page

Cybnate: @river333, we will find a way for those fast and cheap transactions. Needs a bit more time and some developements. So yes, too early to target

river333: I suppose secure savings account, without the need for a bank?

river333: You are in complete control of your savings

Sentinelrv: I’m probably going to make a copy of this chat and post it in the website design thread when we’re done so he can read it.

Sentinelrv: I have heard concerns that focusing on the savings account end will make people think you can’t use it as a checking account as well.

Cybnate: @river333 Yes that would appeal for those not in US$ or Euro country

river333: Your 2 in 1 checking and savings account

Sentinelrv: If you did it that way, it would need to be made clear that Peercoins can be spent as well. They’re not just for holding.

Cybnate: Yes, we need spending and the volatility

river333: The only cryptocurrency that can be used for spending AND saving

Cybnate: Again striking a balance, not easy

Sentinelrv: “Your 2 in 1 checking and savings account” I like that. I wonder what other people think though.

river333: just don’t use “checking” account. North America only I think

river333: spending and saving

Sentinelrv: Oh really?

Cybnate: Yes, doesn’t ring a bell to me

river333: current account

Cybnate: I think we have the right tune, just the wording now

Sentinelrv: In the US at least, we have checking for drawing money out and savings for letting your money sit and accruing interest, while the bank uses it to loan out. Is this not the same in other countries?

Sentinelrv: Or are you saying other countries don’t use the word “Checking”?

river333: checking=current in some European countries. just a different name

Cybnate: Yes, but we don’t call it a checking account

Cybnate: Current or main account is more common

Sentinelrv: Ok, so “Your 2 in 1 spending & savings account”

river333: The “complete” currency. All your needs rolled into one

Cybnate: Like it, but a bit over the top @river333

river333: *if your needs include massive volatility

river333: (but don’t mention that)

Sentinelrv: Whatever comes before or after, I think it needs to include the wording “Spending & Savings Account” That makes it pretty clear that it’s a combined approach.

river333: yeah it is a bit over the top, but that doesn’t seem to stop all the other coins :wink:

Cybnate: Like your 2 in 1 spending and savings account, but delivering on that is harder. One of my items in wallet dream thread was to have multiple accounts in wallet. I think we would need that first.

Sentinelrv: Although it’s not actually an “account,” since nobody but you controls it. There is no 3rd party.

Cybnate: @river333, you are right, but I don’t think we want to look like them

river333: the currency with built-in savings

Cybnate: Instead of account you can use store, but it is not very common language

Cybnate: in context of account

Sentinelrv: Do you think calling it an account would be a problem? Would people think we’re holding their money for them or something? Or would people understand that there is no 3rd party and the funds are completely controlled by the owner?

river333: You’re right, we might have to stick with currency then

Sentinelrv: I guess if we’re marketing 75% to crypto people, they’d understand what we meant.

river333: the currency that also rewards you for owning it

Cybnate: Crypto account?

Cybnate: Your 2-1 spending and saving crypto account

Cybnate: savings

Sentinelrv: I need to get back to work. You guys can keep trying to hash this out if you want. I’ll post the transcript for TheWildHorse later.

Cybnate: crypto store? This is hard

Sentinelrv: That sounds like a place to buy things with cryptos.

river333: I don’t like calling it currency but I’m not sure if there is anything else we can use. It has already become accepted for crypto

Cybnate: commodity

Cybnate: but I don’t like that either

river333: coin

Sentinelrv: In our slogan we used cryptocoin to sound less specific for this very reason.

river333: spending and savings coin

river333: your 2 in 1 spending and savings coin

river333: sounds strange

Cybnate: cryptocoin

river333: yeah that’s better

Cybnate: Also have to do some work now. Sure we will have more of this later

Sentinelrv: I would use the & symbol instead.

Sentinelrv: “Your 2 in 1 Spending & Savings Cryptocoin”

river333: I’ll go watch Mad Men for inspiration

Sentinelrv: Yeah, I really need to leave now, lol, see ya later.

Some time passes…

Sentinelrv: So I was taking a closer look at the concept image: http://i.imgur.com/L4fHjJ0.png If we went for the focus on Bitcoiners and crypto people like we discussed earlier, I imagine the top 3 points are a given to most people, therefore they’d need to be replaced with Peercoin specific information, for example one about energy efficiency, one about proof-of-stake security and one about using it as a combined spending and savings account because of the interest reward holding PPC and minting. We were having trouble figuring out what to call it. When I looked again at the concept art, I noticed the titles under each info point are pretty short. I’m thinking it might be better to just make the title “Combined Spending & Savings” due to the length limitation and then expand upon that in the blurb below it.

Sentinelrv: Either “Combined” or “Spending & Savings” would be highlighted like in the concept art.

tastycrumpet: Agree with that, the top three are largely generic to most coins.

tastycrumpet: I mean, let’s face it, most of the time if they are on the site they already have a concept of a coin. So then we need to sell them on Peercoin

Sentinelrv: The “Energy Efficiency” info point can talk about the ability of the entire network to be run on low-grade hardware. The symbol above it could also be the little Peercoin leaf separated from the gold P, like what we have on the right side of our subreddit.

crypto_coiner: I agree

Sentinelrv: So I was taking a closer look at the concept image: http://i.imgur.com/L4fHjJ0.png If we went for the focus on Bitcoiners and crypto people like we discussed earlier, I imagine the top 3 points are a given to most people, therefore they'd need to be replaced with Peercoin specific information, for example one about energy efficiency, one about proof-of-stake security and one about using it as a combined spending and savings account because of the interest reward holding PPC and minting. We were having trouble figuring out what to call it. When I looked again at the concept art, I noticed the titles under each info point are pretty short. I'm thinking it might be better to just make the title "Combined Spending & Savings" due to the length limitation and then expand upon that in the blurb below it.

Sentinelrv: Either “Combined” or “Spending & Savings” would be highlighted like in the concept art.

tastycrumpet: Agree with that, the top three are largely generic to most coins.

tastycrumpet: I mean, let’s face it, most of the time if they are on the site they already have a concept of a coin. So then we need to sell them on Peercoin

Sentinelrv: The “Energy Efficiency” info point can talk about the ability of the entire network to be run on low-grade hardware. The symbol above it could also be the little Peercoin leaf separated from the gold P, like what we have on the right side of our subreddit.

crypto_coiner: I agree

I would agree with that. It might be possible to include the word “decentralized” with the low grade hardware/energy efficiency part.

Maybe “Spending & Saving Combined” might sound better, or something with “Spend & Save” instead to make it shorter. I’ll think about it.

For security, I like the sound of “The cryptocurrency that takes security seriously” or something like that.

Really quick mock-up but you get the idea: http://i.imgur.com/1yN2gda.png

This is just my thoughts but I’m not a designer or anything so take it with a pinch of salt.

Nice work, I like it, maybe leave out the ‘combined’ and bold the saving instead.

Also noticed the txt under merchants says teaching. Sounds a bit paternalistic, maybe better use helping or supporting instead.

@river333 txs for your new mock-up

I have several remarks:

• the absence of a powerful big tag line that attracts and hooks ppl up:
    “secure. sustainable. peercoin is here”
    —>this tagline is underestimating peercoin values and does not convey much info.

Why not having in big and bold: peercoin is the only decentralized crypto currency.

This by itself is very remarkable and memorable. Ppl will repeat and spread and visit the site.

• why using a .net domain? that sounds like peercoin is an association of amateur ppl or stud.
    Let us use a .com!

• I agree it is hard to target ppl non familiar to cryptos.
    I mean how can u sell a prius hybrid to someone that used to ride horse carriage if he does not know about cars or have one already?

• layout and palette: why the yellow? why the logo is covered by the tag line?
    I think we need to call upon a mktg agency using the mktg fund to create a site that rocks asap

• mktg plan: who is in charge?

[quote=“crypto_coiner, post:10, topic:2586”]- why using a .net domain? that sounds like peercoin is an association of amateur ppl or stud.
Let us use a .com![/quote]

There’s nothing we can do about this. Peercoin.com is owned by Litecoin people.

[quote=“crypto_coiner, post:10, topic:2586”]- the absence of a powerful big tag line that attracts and hooks ppl up:
“secure. sustainable. peercoin is here”
—>this tagline is underestimating peercoin values and does not convey much info.

Why not having in big and bold: peercoin is the only decentralized crypto currency.

This by itself is very remarkable and memorable. Ppl will repeat and spread and visit the site.[/quote]

Peercoin’s main slogan has been “The Secure & Sustainable Cryptocoin” for a while now. I personally don’t like the “Peercoin is Here” bit though. I don’t even understand what that’s supposed to mean. It’s been here for almost 2 years. As for your suggestion, I realize we’re aiming to be the most decentralized crypto network, but I’m not sure if we can really claim that title yet, since we still have centralized checkpoints. Sunny needs to phase them out first I think

[quote=“TheWildHorse, post:1, topic:2586”]Now this is an important thing you want to decide:
Do you want the frontpage to cater to people with no crypto experience, or to people that already know bitcoin and such?[/quote]

I agree this is a key question. I suggest the website should follow two basic principles:

1. Assume the visitor already knows what a crypto currency is (otherwise they would not be visiting peercoin.net)

2. Assume the visitor knows nothing of peercoin

In my view, explaining cryptocurrency will be a distraction. What visitors need to know about is peercoin. By way of comparison, a bank website does not explain banking - their emphasis is on explaining their own facilities and why a customer should want them. To answer wildhorse’s earlier question, therefore, I would keep the idea of “Average Joe” and “Merchant” audiences, but eliminate “Cryptofreak”.

Perhaps we could have a link saying “New to Peercoin? Start here” and give people a road map

Spending & Saving

I don’t agree with dual marketing such as “Spending & Saving Combined” because it suggests we are trying to be best at both things. I believe that such an approach will fail because peercoin is not primarily a spending coin, and giving this equal emphasis will compromise the saving element. In short, we will fall down the middle

To be clear, I am not saying the website should not contain information and facilities for spending and merchants, of course it should, but I believe the website’s “culture” or “mission” should be on what Peercoin is primarily designed for, which is saving/stability/security. Perhaps what the website needs is a “mission statement” that expands on the slogan “The Secure & Sustainable Cryptocoin”. Perhaps along the lines of:

Peercoin is a crypto-currency, like bitcoin. Peercoin, like other crypto-currencies, can be spent online and in shops, but whereas other coins are designed for buying speed, peercoin’s mission is to provide a vehicle for saving. Peercoin: a safe storage of wealth in unsafe times.

I am sure this statement can be much improved upon, but my point is that we can acknowledge spending while putting safely/storage upfront and visible. Keep in mind the unresolved problems in the banking system, Cyprus, Euro, etc. Peercoin can provide a real service simply by being stable.

To sell the stability/safety aspect, we can explain PoS, the small blockchain, efficiency, etc. but the key is to do it from a safety/savings perspective, not a technical one. This is why we do not need to distinguish between Ave Joe and Cryptofreak, because Ave Joe still wants to know why he should place his confidence (and savings) in peercoin

Let me share my two personal lessons from visiting crypto-coin websites:

1. The first question in my mind is: why should I be interested in this particular coin

2. The second question is, if I buy these coins with fiat, how do I (a) store them safely and (b) how do I convert them back again?

Highlighting peercoin as a vehicle for saving and safe storage answers these questions, and thus gives us an edge over spending coins

How we buy and spend (in a retail context) are secondary questions, more likely to be considered only once the questions of safe storage and exit are addressed

The topic has been split…

Future Web Development - Appearance & Visuals

It would be perfect if you guys could create some content for those 3 highlights on top:

I could write it myself, but you guys know a lot more than me on the subject and have an idea of what features you want to show off.

Basically if someone could propose an idea for those, and lets modify them until we have established a quorum with most of the active community in this topic.

Anyone with any progress on this?

Sorry, I just informed some people in chat that we need to start focusing more on the content. It’s just been so busy here lately. It’s hard to keep up with all the different projects. For now I think we’ll be using Proof of Stake Security and Energy Efficiency, not sure about the 3rd title yet, maybe something about saving and minting to earn 1%. We also need to figure out the descriptions below the titles.

I made a Google Docs table with the wanted contents. It is free to edit, so someone just fill the missing stuff with general idea so we can collectively do small fixes and reword things.

Wildhorse,

Thank you for your work so far on upgrading the website. I am afraid we have been distracted the last day or two by NuBits

I am presently looking at the “wide” version here - http://i.imgur.com/L4fHjJ0.png
And the “long” version here - http://igor-rinkovec.from.hr/peercoin/

With regards to the seven main symbols that form the “centrepiece” of the website, I do not yet think we have the balance right in terms of their headings, and therefore content. One heading is Fast and Cheap transactions, another is on Individuals (and refers to sending money), and a third refers to Merchants. Thus, three of seven refer to spending or transferring money.

None of the seven headings refers to savings or safe storage which, presumably, is Peercoin’s raison d’etre as a “backbone currency”

As a result, there is nothing to distinguish peercoin from any other reputable coin - we ALL boast inexpensive and near instantaneous transactions. The benefit of peercoin - being secure and sustainable, and therefore ideal for the safe long-term storage of value - is not evident from the present symbol themes

I want to propose that we rename the seven symbols. Presently, they are as follows:

Digital cryptocurrency
Fast & cheap Transactions
Available 24/7
Individual
Merchant
Developer
Miner

Rather than beat about the bush, I thought I would say what I think the headings should be, and then explain my reasoning:

Peercoin: cryptocurrency for secure savings
Saver
Consumer
Merchant
How to obtain peercoins
Developments
FAQ

My reasoning is as follows:

Peercoin: cryptocurrency for secure savings
This kills two birds with one stone. Rather than explaining cryptocurrency in general terms, which can be technical and offputting, we explain cryptocurrency specifically relating to Peercoin’s purpose as a backbone currency: reduced blockchain, efficiency, the deflation/inflation balance, etc. This would absorb the “Available 24/7” heading

Saver
I propose splitting “Individual” into Saver and Consumer. The Saver section would deal with storing PPC, minting, paper wallets, how to use a block viewer, and security, etc

Consumer
This can deal with how to spend peercoins, online and in shops, etc, using mobile phones & QR codes to transact. Safety. This would absorb the present “Fast & Cheap Transactions” heading

Merchant
As proposed at present

How to obtain peercoins
This is already under the menu at the top of the page, but is so important it seems perverse not to include it as a main heading. This would cover exchanges and mining (thus absorbing the current “Mining” heading). In due course, ATMs would go here

Developments
I suggest broadening Developers to Developments. This is more appealing to general visitors. This is not something that needs updating frequently, more a statement of goals and challenges for the foreseeable future. In effect, PPC’s “road map”. It would include the invitation for Developers

FAQ
Finally, a list of queries that visitors might have

Comments from the community are welcome.

Another thing to be borne in mind is how these headings coordinate with the drop-down menus at the top of the page

There are no 7 “features”, but 3. The top three are the ones that will try to “sell” the concept of peercoin to people. To write content for those 3, please check my previous post.

The bottom 4 are the “types” of users, so they can get started and get info that is most important to them shown.

[quote=“TheWildHorse, post:19, topic:2586”]There are no 7 “features”, but 3. The top three are the ones that will try to “sell” the concept of peercoin to people. To write content for those 3, please check my previous post.

The bottom 4 are the “types” of users, so they can get started and get info that is most important to them shown.[/quote]

So just to make sure, to conform Robert’s ideas to your structure, saver, consumer and how to get peercoins would all be information that is listed in “Individual.” Merchant is for all the info needed for people to accept Peercoin as payment. Developer explains Peercoin at a much deeper technical level (Not for the average user). And miner is for showing people everything about how to mine Peercoins. And all the info in these pages should be interlinked, for example info in the miner page might be linked from individual. Correct?

The top 3 should be reserved for features about Peercoin, like I’ve mentioned before, Proof of Stake Security, Energy Efficiency (Network is sustainable on low-grade hardware) and Saving (Minting for 1% reward). There are a lot more features, but the most important ones are listed here. When you click on the “learn more” buttons below each feature, where will they take you, to separate pages with only info on that specific feature, or to a general page that lays out all these topics/features and more for the average person (As non-technical of an explanation as possible.)? This would be Robert’s “cryptocurrency for secure savings” heading, a page that lays it all out in an easy to understand way.