ASIC Blade Erupters for PPC?

Hello everyone. I can see that this is a great PPC community.

Here is my question: Has anyone tried using ASIC Blade erupters to mine PPC? Has anyone been successful? If so could you post your guides?

Any other suggestions are welcome as well. I really believe this can be done but not alone. So i ask the PPC community to jump in start rolling out ideas.

Thanks

just configure the block erupters to mine at a ppc pool, works fine

Hey, Yea the block erupter i got it done fine. its the Blade erupters, the ones that mine at 10 Gh/s that im having tough time setting up.

This is going to be a hot topic VERY soon. I could also benefit from a point A-Z guide. Any takers?

Yea i know, Ive been searching almost everywhere, could not find anything. I do not also believe that some has not already tried it. just need them to share it. :slight_smile:

You need to set them up to mine through a stratum proxy, essentially just like bitcoin. So on the computer you have the proxy run (if you want to use d7):
mining_proxy.exe -o stratum.d7.lt -q
and on the blade screen setup your computer’s ip as a server and worker pointing to D7. That’s all there is to it.

Well theres a start. ok i setup the proxy somewhat but always says clean_jobs=false…i did a port forward on my router for the pc’s ip address. i did both udp and tcp ranges from 3000-9000, but im still getting the clean_jobs=false message occasionally i will get true but majority is false.

any advice?

Have a look - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=352658 - ASICMiner cube setup guide

Maybe you can post screenshots of your blade setup and the proxy after you run it?

I’d be willing to do that, the ASIC miner I ordered will be here in a day or so. Setting up the proxy seems straight-forward enough.

Well here is the screen shot of the proxy im running, though its not working. i used command window then typed mining_proxy.exe -o ppc.fixx.ru -sp 8437 -gp 8437 -cu xxxx -cp xxxx. im not sure if this correct syntax. any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: for some reason it would let me upload the attachmant. any suggestions?

EDIT #2: More like an update, anyway i got the blades working after so much headache. heres how i ran the mining proxy on win7 ultimate that worked.

1. open command prompt.
  2. navigate to where the mining proxy file is located. I put it on desktop to make it easy to find.
  3. Run it like this C:\ …\desktop\mining_proxy.exe -o ppc.fixx.ru -sp 3333 -gp 8437. (since i use ppc.fixx as my pool. you will replaces it with your pool, and ports)
    4.go to your blades config page, and point to your pc running the proxy. there plenty of guides out there that show how to this.

and thats it. you should see on the blade config page the mhs ramping up. and you can make sure at your pool as well.

Happy mining!

Thanks for posting your experiences with the miner_proxy.exe… I was hoping to be up and running myself this past weekend, but my hardware has been delayed due to the ice storm we had here over the weekend. Hoping to have everything here and up and going within the next 48 hrs. If I discover any other useful info, I’ll post it here.

Great. Happy to share the experience.

Everyone should post their experience here. It will be Useful for the not so tech ready people out their. :slight_smile:

So I have finally been able to start mining PPC and get things figured out. This would have been sooner, except for an ice storm that came through last weekend which caused hardware shipment delays and subsequent power outages. Fun :slight_smile: Anyways…

What mohammadnaeem posted for a command line is correct. (This is for windows users) Instead of having to open up a cmd window and typing in the pool you want to mine against, just make a simple .bat file, place it in the same directory as the mining_proxy.exe, make a shortcut to the .bat on your desktop (or wherever) and you’re good to go. You’ll be able to watch the asicminer cube working via the web interface. Contents of the .bat file:

mining_proxy.exe -o ppc.fixx.ru -sp 3333 -gp 8437

-o is the pool you want to mine with
the domain is the address of the pool itself (I use Fixx’s pool also)
-sp is the port of the stratum pool you’re using
-gp is the port that the asicminer cube uses to interact with the mining_proxy executable and vice versa. By default it’s 8330, but you can set this to anything you want so long as it does not conflict with any other programs

Here’s a breakdown of the available switches for the mining executable:

… and a detailed listing of each cmdline switch:

The -nm (no midstate) switch did not work for me. The cubes would mine, but nothing was being passed on to the pool. You can run in quiet mode (-q) but if you do you wont see a lot of important information verifying that your cube is communicating correctly with the mining proxy.

Now, as far as setting up the cube goes - first off, follow the guide that was posted earlier in this thread. Make damn sure you have a strong enough power supply to run these thing, especially if you overclock it. A dedicated 12 volt rail that can handle at a minimum a 50+ ampere load is a good idea. I’m powering two of these cubes using one power supply (Corsair TX850W) - I have plenty of overhead remaining. Best to run a PSU that has enough power to spare instead of running one to it’s maximum limit and risk frying the components or worse.

Accessing the cube - once the cube is up and running and connected to your network, point your browser to 192.168.1.254:8000, you’ll see this window:

If you plan on running more than one of these, change the IP for obvious reasons. You can leave the Mask and Gateway settings alone, as well as the WEB Port (unless you need to change it to avoid a conflict on your network). Primary DNS is what your router is probably already set to, but you can change as necessary. Secondary DNS you should be able to leave alone (by default it’s set to 8.8.8.8 which is one of google’s DNS servers). Pool ports by default or 8330, but again you can change as you see fit (list twice, comma separated). The Pool Addresses will be the IP address of the computer that mining_proxy.exe is running on (again, list twice, comma separated). The miners user:pass will be the workers username:password that you setup with whatever pool you’re mining with. The cube will pass this info to the mining proxy executable. Once you’re comfortable with your settings, click on the update/restart button and then refresh your browser window to the new IP address you set.

Nominally each cube will reach upwards of 30 Gh/s. If you switch the clock from low to high, it will overclock the cube and reach as high as 38 Gh/s. Refresh is self-explanatory. The pools and mode buttons - I believe these are only necessary if you plan on mining multiple pools. I don’t change these settings with my setup.

Also, one instance of mining_proxy.exe running can handle multiple cubes running simultaneously. The only difference in setup between the first cube and the second in my setup, is the on the second cube, it’s a different IP address (x.x.x.210 vs 200) and I have a second worker setup for it. In the mining_proxy window you’ll see the requests from the different workers scroll by.

It takes a little while for each cube to get up to speed, usually within 30-45 minutes or so. I also recommend doing a ‘burn-in’ period and let each cube run for a solid 24 hours or more before overclocking it.

[quote=“k2_1971, post:14, topic:1167”]So I have finally been able to start mining PPC and get things figured out. This would have been sooner, except for an ice storm that came through last weekend which caused hardware shipment delays and subsequent power outages. Fun :slight_smile: Anyways…

What mohammadnaeem posted for a command line is correct. (This is for windows users) Instead of having to open up a cmd window and typing in the pool you want to mine against, just make a simple .bat file, place it in the same directory as the mining_proxy.exe, make a shortcut to the .bat on your desktop (or wherever) and you’re good to go. You’ll be able to watch the asicminer cube working via the web interface. Contents of the .bat file:

mining_proxy.exe -o ppc.fixx.ru -sp 3333 -gp 8437

-o is the pool you want to mine with
the domain is the address of the pool itself (I use Fixx’s pool also)
-sp is the port of the stratum pool you’re using
-gp is the port that the asicminer cube uses to interact with the mining_proxy executable and vice versa. By default it’s 8330, but you can set this to anything you want so long as it does not conflict with any other programs

Here’s a breakdown of the available switches for the mining executable:

… and a detailed listing of each cmdline switch:

The -nm (no midstate) switch did not work for me. The cubes would mine, but nothing was being passed on to the pool. You can run in quiet mode (-q) but if you do you wont see a lot of important information verifying that your cube is communicating correctly with the mining proxy.

Now, as far as setting up the cube goes - first off, follow the guide that was posted earlier in this thread. Make damn sure you have a strong enough power supply to run these thing, especially if you overclock it. A dedicated 12 volt rail that can handle at a minimum a 50+ ampere load is a good idea. I’m powering two of these cubes using one power supply (Corsair TX850W) - I have plenty of overhead remaining. Best to run a PSU that has enough power to spare instead of running one to it’s maximum limit and risk frying the components or worse.

Accessing the cube - once the cube is up and running and connected to your network, point your browser to 192.168.1.254:8000, you’ll see this window:

If you plan on running more than one of these, change the IP for obvious reasons. You can leave the Mask and Gateway settings alone, as well as the WEB Port (unless you need to change it to avoid a conflict on your network). Primary DNS is what your router is probably already set to, but you can change as necessary. Secondary DNS you should be able to leave alone (by default it’s set to 8.8.8.8 which is one of google’s DNS servers). Pool ports by default or 8330, but again you can change as you see fit (list twice, comma separated). The Pool Addresses will be the IP address of the computer that mining_proxy.exe is running on (again, list twice, comma separated). The miners user:pass will be the workers username:password that you setup with whatever pool you’re mining with. The cube will pass this info to the mining proxy executable. Once you’re comfortable with your settings, click on the update/restart button and then refresh your browser window to the new IP address you set.

Nominally each cube will reach upwards of 30 Gh/s. If you switch the clock from low to high, it will overclock the cube and reach as high as 38 Gh/s. Refresh is self-explanatory. The pools and mode buttons - I believe these are only necessary if you plan on mining multiple pools. I don’t change these settings with my setup.

Also, one instance of mining_proxy.exe running can handle multiple cubes running simultaneously. The only difference in setup between the first cube and the second in my setup, is the on the second cube, it’s a different IP address (x.x.x.210 vs 200) and I have a second worker setup for it. In the mining_proxy window you’ll see the requests from the different workers scroll by.

It takes a little while for each cube to get up to speed, usually within 30-45 minutes or so. I also recommend doing a ‘burn-in’ period and let each cube run for a solid 24 hours or more before overclocking it.[/quote]

Excellent Work k2_1971. Good to see someone else benefit from my struggles, hassle free i hope (fingers crossed).

Happy to see you mine it away :).

Lastly I could not have said, explained any better myself Great detailed explanation.

Good luck!!!

Thanks! So far so good. One of my cubes has some bad chips on one of the blades. I took it apart and tried reseating everything, which seemed to help… all the little x’s went away in the web portal, but as soon as I would try to overclock the hash rate would decline. Turned it off, then back on, now the bad chips are showing again but I can OC it to about 35 Gh/s. Go figure.

I will say that there is some risk in purchasing these - you have no idea if you’ll get a good batch or not. I would recommend going through a retailer like amazon.com so you can have a chance of getting a refund/replacement if you do get a bad one.

I may try and play around with BFGminer next, I understand it can also act as a proxy, and its interface is much like cgminer. We’ll see.

Something else to take note of if you decide to mine with these cubes - they use more power than advertised. I have a kill-o-watt meter, so I can see exactly how many volt-ampere’s (watts) are being pulled directly from the wall from any device plugged into it. Almost every advertisement I’ve seen says these cubes pull 200W at 30Gh/s and 260W oc’ed at 38 Gh/s. Realistically it’s closer to 220W and 330W oc’ed. Definitely do not skimp on the power supply for these. I’m also grabbing a heavy duty surge protector (3840 joules rated) to plug these into, especially since we’ve been having a couple power outages and (even worse) a few brown outs lately.

Hey thanks for the heads up. i might get surge protector also, have the blades already hooked on one gonna get for my cube coming by next week friday.

I went back to the guide I linked to on the bitcointalk forum, re-read the entire thread to see if there were any other tips I could pick up. Seems the three most common problems with these cubes are 1) parts being loose when shipped which can contribute to 2) overheating, and 3) people not using the right kind of power supply. I’m confident I have the PSU issue nailed down, no problems on that front. I do think I can cool these more efficiently, which may resolve the x’s I am seeing on my 2nd cube, and it may also address why both cubes will sometimes revert from being OC’ed to just normal operation.

I’ve ordered some better 120mm cooling fans to replace the stock ones, as well as some high-end thermal paste… gonna take off the heat sinks on each blade and inspect how well the heat sink is making contact with the chips, re-apply with the better thermal compound. If possible, I want to put mini heat sinks on the back-ends of the chips also. Will depend on how much room is available. All of these steps can be done on the cheap.

Mohammadnaeem, you may wanna take a look at this - http://www.gekkoscience.com/be_ins/blade_ins.html - guy made an OC kit for his blades, also goes in-depth about how he improved cooling.

If we’re gonna push these things at full load OC’ed 24/7, it would make sense to ensure they are cooled as best as we can manage. When I start the process, I’ll take pics of the process and post them here. Figure about a week from now.

Hey thanks for the info, i did come across something like that about the cubes of which two stood out:

1. Cooling
    and

2. power supply.

For the cooling I am going to inspect the cooling on the stock sytem. I might just build my own liquid cooling rig for it. Or perhaps replace the regular stock fan with a corsair H80 colling system use for PCs with some modification or I might just use Car antifreeze in the custom setup. I will post my finding here for everyone.

Power supply is not that big of an issue, 850W should be fine for 2 cubes, as ther are rated for 850W continuous. Just one to make sure is that the PSU is atleast 80+ certified, it will save on electricity bill. Ideal would be 80+ gold, but silver or bronze will do better that regular PSUs.

the X on the chips are suppose to say that the chip is bad. Were they X from the time when you started to mine? it could mean you received a bad cube. better make sure of that.

Happy Mining!