Voting Results Posted - Rebranding & Modernizing Peercoin's Logo!

Here are the results from voting…

#1 Received - 0 Votes
#2 Received - 14 Votes
#3 Received - 1 Vote
#4 Received - 4 Votes

• An interesting fact. All members of our new active development team voted for #2.
  • 1-2 people didn’t meet the minimum requirements for voting and were not included in the tally.
  • 3-4 people didn’t think the leaf should be the main focus of the logo.
  • 1 Person voted for the old logo.

#2 wins by 10 votes over the competition.

I will now take the next steps, which is to have my designer develop a full set for #2, just as he did for the previous logo. This will end up costing me a couple hundred dollars, so Peercoin donations are appreciated to help me pay for it. My PPC address is in my signature. Thanks to anyone that helps out!

For the past month we have been working on something very special on Peercoin’s new chat room. Let me go into some background detail first. Please take a look at Peercoin’s current logo…

For those who remember, back in 2013 I held a contest on 99designs to have this logo designed for Peercoin. A lot of people outside our community don’t seem to realize this, but the logo doesn’t use a single P. It uses a double P symbol with a currency line connecting them at the bottom. There are two P’s because it symbolizes the name Peer to Peer Cryptocurrency, or Peercoin for short. The green leaf also symbolizes the energy efficient nature of Peercoin.

This logo has served us well for the past 3 years, however several of us noticed recently that it’s starting to show some age. The logo is much too complicated. Because of this, it looks awful when reduced in size, something which is necessary for sites like Coinmarketcap.com and mobile apps where the logo appears on a small screen. Peercoin’s logo needs to look good no matter what size it is. That is currently an impossibility given how complex the design currently is. Much detail is lost in a reduced state and it’s hard to tell what you’re looking at. In a 16x16 icon for example, the leaf inside the P is too small to be visible. The gold in particular looks fake and has a cheap plastic feel to it, not something we want people to associate with Peercoin.

Peercoin is currently going through a period of rebirth. What better way to symbolize this than with a visual rebranding? So a bunch of us got together on Peercoin’s new chat room about a month ago to start discussing this. Some involved include myself, Saeveritt, hrobeers, peerchemist and river. What we noticed is that the wider crypto community hasn’t really been using Peercoin’s official logo as shown above. Many phone apps and exchanges have been using just the leaf. Even our icon on Coinmarketcap.com only uses the leaf, since our main logo doesn’t look good enough to display on a 16x16 icon. So we started discussing the possibility of dropping the double P symbol altogether and using the leaf as a way to represent Peercoin. Then Saeveritt found this group of flat colored cryptocurrency icons and noticed how amazing the leaf icon looked by itself…

Using this, I drew some inspiration from MasterCard’s new logo and put something together for everyone to look at. It was a very simple, minimalist design with flat colors and all lowercased letters like most logo design is done now. Everyone loved it, however it was using the same blueish green turquoise color you see in the image above. A lot of people liked the turquoise, but I tried to explain that Peercoin carries the theme of energy efficiency, which is represented by a more natural green color. I don’t believe turquoise is able to effectively symbolize the theme of energy efficiency.

Another problem is that on peercoin.net, our color scheme is white, dark gray, light gray, gold and green. If we were to use turquoise, our color scheme would need to be changed and green would need to be replaced. For example, all the green buttons and images on the website would need to be replaced to match the turquoise color of the new logo. You can’t have a turquoise logo and green buttons on the page. It’s a mismatch and just doesn’t look right. So I worked with my designer Lightning (the same designer who created all Peercoin’s logos) and we came up with some color options to choose from.

Voting Rules:
There are 3 options to choose from. Please post #1, #2 or #3 depending on which color you think should be picked. Your membership on this forum must be at least a week old and have at least 2 posts prior to the beginning of voting. This is to prevent fake accounts from affecting the voting. Voting will end shortly after it tapers off. Please keep in mind that you should not just pick which color you like most. Think about how it affects the overall color scheme and whether it fits with Peercoin’s theme of energy efficiency.

Notes:

• For each color I will post two images. The first is a sample image with the logo over different backgrounds, black, white and dark gray. The second is an altered version of peercoin.net’s home page using the new logo/color.
  • This does not mean peercoin.net will end up looking like what is in the concept images. Peercoin.net will most likely be redesigned at a later date. It’s only shown here as a sample to give you an idea of how the chosen color would affect the overall color scheme.
  • The images are too large to display full-size within this thread, so please click on the full-size links and zoom up if you need to in order to see the detail.

Color Sample #1:

This is the same color green that is currently used on peercoin.net. You can see it used on the buttons on the website. Out of the 3 color options, this is the darkest green. In my opinion it looks a little dull on darker backgrounds.

- Full-Size: http://i.imgur.com/rIRAM4b.png

- Full-Size: http://i.imgur.com/0XWUgsq.png

Color Sample #2:

This is a brighter/lighter green color. It stands out a little bit more on darker backgrounds compared with the previous darker green.

- Full-Size: http://i.imgur.com/zst9r7W.png

- Full-Size: http://i.imgur.com/oSRcUzB.png

Color Sample #3:

This is the original turquoise color. You can now see how turquoise would completely change our current color scheme on peercoin.net.

- Full-Size: http://i.imgur.com/Y81HiBO.png

- Full-Size: http://i.imgur.com/FnVINtz.png

Color Sample #4:

This is a late addition made by irritant. It uses a gradient rather than a flat color. You are allowed to change your vote to this if you already voted.

- Full-Size: https://i.imgur.com/UlzGjdt.jpg

- Full-Size: http://i.imgur.com/XKs2rlo.png

I vote for #2.

While #1 is the color currently used on peercoin.net, it looks a little bit too dull looking. # 2 stands out a lot more on a dark background. #3 while I like the logo itself more than the normal green, turquoise just doesn’t come to mind when thinking about going green. That and it changes our color scheme too drastically.

That’s what I vote

I also favor #2 above all others with respects to color scheme. As for the peercoin.net sample layout, I believe we could arrange it in a more appealing fashion.

Just wanted to clear this up. As I said in the OP, the peercoin.net sample does not mean that is what peercoin.net would look like in the end. The only reason I provided those samples is to give people an idea of how the chosen color would affect the overall color scheme on the website. Peercoin.net would most likely be redesigned at a later date to take advantage of the new logo and adjust content based on what we’ve learned in the past couple years since the last redesign was done.

I vote for #4 , the design suggestion which has been strategically been left out to manipulate the voting result

single color design looks cheap in my opinion, this adds a little more depth, more dynamic feeling

not that this is going to be the winner because people already voted and they were not aware of this, not that I care too much about this, making a single color logo that looks like a cheap stamp is not something very special, and it will not change anything, for all intentions we could just as well keep everything the same, other developments are more interesting

Are you serious? I posted this peercoin.net sample in chat for you and asked multiple times if you still wanted me to include it, but didn’t receive an answer. Why would you make an accusation like this?

I added it in as a late addition. People are allowed to change their vote if they wish.

I will add my comments on it however…

• As you can see from the peercoin.net sample, the gradient of the logo and the flat color of the buttons don’t mesh well together, at least in my opinion.
  • It makes it more consistent and simple looking when a specific color is used across all our websites.
  • While the turquoise is minimal now, it is still there and as I explained above I don’t think it fits well with Peercoin’s theme of energy efficiency.
  • I also feel the change of color from top to bottom is too drastic.

I have included previews for every image in the OP, however the forum software will shrink the image, so I have included full-size links for all. Please don’t fully judge them until you look at the full-size images.

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:1, topic:4044”]Voting Rules:
There are 3 options to choose from. Please post #1, #2 or #3 depending on which color you think should be picked. Your membership on this forum must be at least a week old and have a post count of 20. This is to prevent fake accounts from affecting the voting. Voting will end shortly after it tapers off.[/quote]

Who made this rule? What’s the threshold for passing?

It looks the best imo 8)

Also it fits best with Peercoin brand and value proposition of energy efficiency

[quote=“marloon, post:11, topic:4044”][quote=“Sentinelrv, post:1, topic:4044”]Voting Rules:
There are 3 options to choose from. Please post #1, #2 or #3 depending on which color you think should be picked. Your membership on this forum must be at least a week old and have a post count of 20. This is to prevent fake accounts from affecting the voting. Voting will end shortly after it tapers off.[/quote]

Who made this rule? What’s the threshold for passing?[/quote]

I see you only have 3 posts. Are you talking about the 20 post count rule? I was afraid there might be people who had previouisly created sock puppet accounts, but never used them for posting yet. This rule is to prevent the possibility of voting from these old, but fake sock puppet accounts. I tried to set the post count limit low, but I guess I didn’t set it low enough. I will reset it to 2 posts. Please let me know if anyone has any issues with the new number.

You can vote now. Here is what the updated rule text says…

3 - three

I don’t like anything with turquoise in it. Reminds me of the flame logo used by natural gas utilities:

So I’ll go with 2 too.

I’m new but I’ll vote anyways, I would go with #2, definitely not the turquoise.

[quote=“kschneezy, post:12, topic:4044”]#2

It looks the best imo 8)

Also it fits best with Peercoin brand and value proposition of energy efficiency[/quote]

On the contrary I can see a case for the turquoise. Take a look at coinmarketcap and you will notice 11 of the top 20 coins have blue-ish logos. Yes this is likely just a coincidence. Also, a blue logo takes the form of many large banking institutions. Blue signals trust. Colors have an impact on how people react to things. Moreover, the green we have currently for environmentally friendly still applies to blues as it is the color of the sky and ocean. And yes turquoise is only a shade of Blue.

Another way to look at this is that #2 isn’t much of a change. People likely will not notice the difference. Maybe a change in color will lead to more clicks to the forum to see the reason why the Peercoin logo changed. It signals change in what some people view as a dying coin.

Maybe I am over thinking all of this? lol

With all that said I will change my vote to #4

#2 looks great, thank you for your work!

I vote for #2

I choose №4, so all shades of green with time fade to that color. All stickers and banners are just like that.