Voting Results Posted - Rebranding & Modernizing Peercoin's Logo!

I vote for #2.

I think #4 could be good too, but maybe would look better with different shades in the gradient. Having a single colour in the logo is probably easier, though.

my vote, old logo,

the new design is very simple.
forever the old logo

#2 looks good to me ;D

I half-agree with levent. I think the old logo looks dated because Peercoiners have been staring at it so long. But thatā€™s only usā€¦

While itā€™s true that a more simple logo shrinks better, thatā€™s specific to coinmarketcap.com only, and I donā€™t think shrinking your logo to fit better on a particular website is the right reason.

HOWEVER

I half-agree with the majority in here. #2 does look new and fresh. But how often are we doing to change to something new and fresh before we no longer become recognizable anymore.

If you look at major brands, pepsi, coke, etc. Yes, they change their marketing literature all the time, but their color schemes, font uses, and logoā€™s stay pretty much intact.

Now Iā€™m going to contradict myself. What I said isnā€™t fully true:

http://blog.uprinting.com/the-evolution-of-coca-cola-and-pepsi-logos/

So letā€™s look at that link, and see what we can learn from it. :slight_smile:

One thing I did learn from that link, is that Coke-a-cola, which is larger in marketshare, changed their logo overall ā€œvery littleā€ over the years in contrast to Pepsi.

But truth be told, Coca-Cola has won the cola war. Coke controls 42% of the total carbonated soft drink market, compared with Pepsi's 30%, according to Beverage Digest.Mar 24, 2014

source: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/coke-vs-pepsi-by-the-numbers-cm337909

[quote=ā€œppcman, post:25, topic:4044ā€]I half-agree with levent. I think the old logo looks dated because Peercoiners have been staring at it so long. But thatā€™s only usā€¦

While itā€™s true that a more simple logo shrinks better, thatā€™s specific to coinmarketcap.com only, and I donā€™t think shrinking your logo to fit better on a particular website is the right reason.[/quote]

Looking better on CMC is not the only reason. Peercoin is a digital currency, so it needs to look good at a reduced size on phone apps, where it will end up being used a lot. At a reduced size, most detail is lost. The separation between the double P vanishes and it looks like a single P. The leaf inside the P ends up looking like a green dot. Iā€™ve even tried reducing less detailed flat color versions of the same logo and itā€™s the same problem. Itā€™s just too complex the way itā€™s designed right now. While the fake plastic look of the gold color could be improved with a more detailed version, I donā€™t think that is going to help fix the size issues mentioned. The complexity is not only an issue in sizing down, it is an issue in itself. I feel a cleaner, simpler logo is more appealing to the eye. What we have now is just too complicated looking and at this point, it just appears outdated.

[quote=ā€œppcman, post:25, topic:4044ā€]HOWEVER

I half-agree with the majority in here. #2 does look new and fresh. But how often are we doing to change to something new and fresh before we no longer become recognizable anymore.[/quote]

While itā€™s true we would be losing the double P symbol, our green leaf has been used in our marketing by itself for years now. Itā€™s on all our logos, specifically Peerbox and PeerKeeper where it is more in focus. It appears as the main banner on our Twitter page. It appears all over our forum. Itā€™s on CMC. And most importantly, I mentioned that the leaf icon seems to have taken on a significant adoption level compared with the official double P logo. You can see this in the apps and websites that only use the leaf symbol, rather than the main logo. It is highly adopted already and very recognizable as part of Peercoinā€™s brand. All weā€™re doing here is putting into greater focus a symbol that has already become adopted and associated with Peercoin. I would even go as far as saying that this transition to using only the leaf has been in the making for the last couple years now, with each year seeing increased use of the symbol. Itā€™s about time we make the jump and go all the way.

I see this as a symbol more akin to Appleā€™s logo, something very simple in design which doesnā€™t need to be changed in the future. I donā€™t think we could be expected to nail the logo on the very first try back in 2013. It was great for a first try, but not something that should have been considered final. This new version takes an aspect from the original that was great and puts it into full focus and I feel itā€™s about as close to something as long-term and final as weā€™re going to get.

[quote=ā€œppcman, post:25, topic:4044ā€]If you look at major brands, pepsi, coke, etc. Yes, they change their marketing literature all the time, but their color schemes, font uses, and logoā€™s stay pretty much intact.

Now Iā€™m going to contradict myself. What I said isnā€™t fully true:

http://blog.uprinting.com/the-evolution-of-coca-cola-and-pepsi-logos/

So letā€™s look at that link, and see what we can learn from it. :slight_smile:

One thing I did learn from that link, is that Coke-a-cola, which is larger in marketshare, changed their logo overall ā€œvery littleā€ over the years in contrast to Pepsi.

But truth be told, Coca-Cola has won the cola war. Coke controls 42% of the total carbonated soft drink market, compared with Pepsi's 30%, according to Beverage Digest.Mar 24, 2014

source: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/coke-vs-pepsi-by-the-numbers-cm337909

[/quote]

While the changes to the logo probably had some effect, I donā€™t think we can exactly say that is the only reason. For example, Iā€™d rather drink Coke because Pepsi leaves a sugary coating on my teeth that I can feel and I hate it, but thatā€™s just me. Just an example that there could be other reasons behind why Coke does better. I mentioned in the OP, but I actually drew a lot of inspiration from MasterCard, which just updated their logo. MasterCard is a top company which saw the benefit in modernizing and simplifying their image.

And as Iā€™ve already mentioned, weā€™re still retaining a symbol which is known and recognizable as being associated with Peercoin. Iā€™ve been pushing people to vote for #2 over something like turquoise so that we can keep our overall color scheme as consistent as possible to what it has been in the past. From this you can see that Iā€™m not trying to change everything, mainly the complexity of the symbol that represents us.

So once again, I see the original logo as something that we tried in the very beginning without completely realizing what we were doing. We created something cool looking that worked out great for a while, but over time we realized that it wasnā€™t ideal and that we needed something more simple and clean looking.

Thankfully, we donā€™t need to throw everything out, as the original logo has a very recognizable aspect to it that we can keep. The leaf as it is shown here in the new design in my opinion is something that could last a very very long time, much longer than our original attempt ever could. To be clear, I have no desire to keep doing logo refreshes like this every so often just to help generate more interest in Peercoin. My ultimate goal here is to find a symbol that can represent Peercoin for as long as possible, just like Coke or Apple.

Voting for #4. Still like the current logo, but if we need to change than #4 stands out for me.

No more votes in around 24 hours now. Should I start to wind this down? How long should I give as a final call for voting? Another 24 hours? Feedback please.

Two. #2

Symbol P is officially assigned to the Russian ruble which does not shine on the currency market. I believe it is necessary to move away from the image.

Good. Keep it simple, change it one more time. ā€¦and if I hear anyone talking about it again in the next year or two, Iā€™m going to freak out. lol

Good. Keep it simple, change it one more time. ā€¦and if I hear anyone talking about it again in the next year or two, Iā€™m going to freak out. lol[/quote]

I will be there to freak out with you, lol. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, in your last post you mentioned #2. Is that an official vote, because to me it wasnā€™t exactly clear, so I will disregard it until you clarify in this thread.

Yes #2

However, I donā€™t think we should use the new logo until weā€™re ready to launch something significant.

(Like discourse) or v0.6 or some other major change.

[quote=ā€œppcman, post:33, topic:4044ā€]Yes #2

However, I donā€™t think we should use the new logo until weā€™re ready to launch something significant.

(Like discourse) or v0.6 or some other major change.[/quote]

I was going to ask about this. Once voting is over, I was going to have a set made up like our existing set. But I wasnā€™t sure when we should start using it. Social media avatars and banners on Twitter and Facebook are easy, but changing it on the main website, Reddit and the clients will take a lot more time.

Sunny has given no indication when v0.6 will be ready, so that is an unknown. I personally think use of the logo should be centered around a revamp of the main website, as it shouldnā€™t be used anywhere unless the change is reflected there first.

Ok, so voting has slowed to a crawl, so unless somebody wants us to extend voting, I say we should give about 24 more hours and then shut it down. So this is your final notice. Please vote if you havenā€™t already done so.

Another vote for number 2! :slight_smile:

Logoā€™s change over time, thatā€™s the way it is.
Most logos change subtly over time with fast iterations, but our current one is way too complex, so I am fully supporting this major redesign!

I feel the leaf may become overused. I like the leaf a lot as an accent and I agree with having a logo that either scales better or a standard alternative for smaller formats. Still, I think the current logo looks better overall than these. Itā€™s in the top 3 of all cryptocurrencies in my mind.

I vote neither or #4. Iā€™m not sure about the color in any of these, but #4 is least plain. I havenā€™t seen any such flat cryptocurrency logo that looks good.

Making the leaf our main logo further pushes the environmental aspect that I think people ultimately donā€™t care about. It matches the other logos more, but is that an improvement? Changing our brand font and going lowercase are two additional changes. I donā€™t know the extent of its use beyond Peercoin, Peercointalk, and Peer4commit, but I want a consistently branded ecosystem.

I think itā€™s a mistake to rebrand, but I would support modernising the current logo.

what jooize said. why change?