V0.4.0 (previously v0.3.1) Plan

[quote=“FuzzyBear, post:59, topic:1829”][quote=“deliciousowl, post:58, topic:1829”]We need simplicity… Everything about peercoin is explained in very complex terms. The general public doesn’t want to deal with technobabble, they have no time to think about everything. In a strive for innovation maybe we should look a step back and focus on being user friendly.

First of all, Peercoin needs one button minting, and maybe some infographics in the wallet.

PS: It would also sound better if it was “Peercoin Wallet” instead of “PPCoin wallet”. That looks like Pee pee coin.[/quote]
yup have to agree that would be pretty useful… will look into it :)[/quote]

Thank you, and I say this with deep sincerity: your reply gives me a lot of faith in the future of peercoin.

And I know this has probably been addressed, but the scariest part about the Peercoin Wallet at the moment is this:
Receive coins -> “These are your Bitcoin addresses for receiving payments. You may want to give a different one to each sender so you can keep track of who is paying you.”

Quote from: Sebsebzen on January 27, 2014, 10:58:47 am Will there be further development on Primecoin/XPM as well?

Why not? :wink: But right now Peercoin has higher priority.

Good to hear that! However, I am a bit worried that Primecoin is losing momentum , especially if there is no dev work going on. I know it’s a moot point, but maybe a more extended dev team and even some kind of Foundation in the widest sense would help. At the same time, that would leave more room to focus on Peercoin / Peershare.

Lack of dev’s and central coordination makes it easy to “hi-jack” your ideas and possibly harm the community. One example is that peercoin.org and peercoin.com have been taken over by the people affiliated with Litecoin. I really feel that is unfair, but then I kind of blame ourselves for not being faster. Part of it is because there is no coordinated effort / organization. Throughout history that seems to be a common pattern though, think of big inventions and who profited commercially from them in the end (Tesla vs. Edison).

In my view the Foundation could be fully anonymous with a loose hierarchy. It’s main purpose would not be to represent Peercoin outwards, but to protect the project’s integrity from hostile take overs, as well as ensure that key elements, back ups and access codes are kept safe and not just with one person.

Just my two cents.

[quote=“deliciousowl, post:61, topic:1829”][quote=“FuzzyBear, post:59, topic:1829”][quote=“deliciousowl, post:58, topic:1829”]We need simplicity… Everything about peercoin is explained in very complex terms. The general public doesn’t want to deal with technobabble, they have no time to think about everything. In a strive for innovation maybe we should look a step back and focus on being user friendly.

First of all, Peercoin needs one button minting, and maybe some infographics in the wallet.

PS: It would also sound better if it was “Peercoin Wallet” instead of “PPCoin wallet”. That looks like Pee pee coin.[/quote]

Thank you, and I say this with deep sincerity: your reply gives me a lot of faith in the future of peercoin.

And I know this has probably been addressed, but the scariest part about the Peercoin Wallet at the moment is this:
Receive coins -> “These are your Bitcoin addresses for receiving payments. You may want to give a different one to each sender so you can keep track of who is paying you.”[/quote]

Are you using the latest 0.3.2 builds from me?? this has been updated :slight_smile:

Fuzzybear

Sebsebzen

I agree strongly with your concern that Peercoin should protect itself, but what would formal trappings of a Foundation provide that we do not already have with this Forum?

With this Forum, we have people from all over the planet communicating directly with key activists, co-ordination of volunteers, and constructive review of each other’s efforts. A Foundation can bring status, but the downside is that we could spend more time running the Foundation, than running Peercoin

(apologies for taking the thread off-topic)

RobertLloyd, it would be more organized and clearer who has which responsibilities, for example who pays the webhosting bills. More hierarchical organizations tend to work better in times of crisis. Ideally, what I envision is some sort of Distributed Autonomous Corporation (DAC) that manages a Peercoin/Primecoin fund. I will elaborate that in a separate thread. Sorry, for off-topic.

[quote=“FuzzyBear, post:63, topic:1829”][quote=“deliciousowl, post:61, topic:1829”][quote=“FuzzyBear, post:59, topic:1829”][quote=“deliciousowl, post:58, topic:1829”]We need simplicity… Everything about peercoin is explained in very complex terms. The general public doesn’t want to deal with technobabble, they have no time to think about everything. In a strive for innovation maybe we should look a step back and focus on being user friendly.

Receive coins -> “These are your Bitcoin addresses for receiving payments. You may want to give a different one to each sender so you can keep track of who is paying you.”[/quote]

Are you using the latest 0.3.2 builds from me?? this has been updated :slight_smile:

Fuzzybear[/quote]

Ah, I had just downloaded the official downloads at the top right of this page.

I compiled the latest ppcoin-qt binary on Linux Mint x64. I took the source from FuzzyBearBTC’s qithub repository. Version still says v0.3.0ppc-beta, so I am not sure if everything worked correctly.

What has been changed from 0.3.0 to 0.3.2? ppcoin-qt still looks the same.

[quote=“lacksfish, post:67, topic:1829”]I compiled the latest ppcoin-qt binary on Linux Mint x64. I took the source from FuzzyBearBTC’s qithub repository. Version still says v0.3.0ppc-beta, so I am not sure if everything worked correctly.

What has been changed from 0.3.0 to 0.3.2? ppcoin-qt still looks the same.[/quote]
Did you take the Fuzzybear branch not the master branch of my FuzzybearBTC github repo?

[quote=“RobertLloyd, post:64, topic:1829”]Sebsebzen

I agree strongly with your concern that Peercoin should protect itself, but what would formal trappings of a Foundation provide that we do not already have with this Forum?

With this Forum, we have people from all over the planet communicating directly with key activists, co-ordination of volunteers, and constructive review of each other’s efforts. A Foundation can bring status, but the downside is that we could spend more time running the Foundation, than running Peercoin

(apologies for taking the thread off-topic)[/quote]

Kinda have to agree, we are a peer foundation anyway and should remain that way…opt in opt out, we all stand on our merits/meritiocracy

Nope, I didn’t. Silly me :smiley:

I compiled the peercoin-qt binary successfully under Linux Mint x64. Should I share the binary? It should be Ubuntu x64 compatible.

Looks awesome!

What is the actual plan for official (sunny) release of 0.4?

Posted using Tapatalk for Android.

Update: v0.3.1 is renamed to v0.4.0, previous v0.4 development is renamed to v0.5 development.

good thinking

Any news here?

Any News?

Depends on what news you are after. v0.4 is in repo and FB compiled a Win version including some njce icons. Ben is still battling to compile a OSX version as far as I’m aware. Haven’t seen anyone compiling a Linux version though.
Missing is a 0.4 official compiled release if such a version will ever exist.

V0.5 is the next version according to SK’s OP. No news on that one as far as I’m aware.

Depends on what news you are after. v0.4 is in repo and FB compiled a Win version including some njce icons. Ben is still battling to compile a OSX version as far as I’m aware. Haven’t seen anyone compiling a Linux version though.
Missing is a 0.4 official compiled release if such a version will ever exist.

V0.5 is the next version according to SK’s OP. No news on that one as far as I’m aware.[/quote]

According to SK’s updates, as of last week he was ‘wrapping up’ v0.4’s release. So there is an official planned release of it. However today he said nothing about it… people are starting to get frustrated.

I assume you’re talking about this thread?

[b]http://www.reddit.com/r/peercoin/comments/1xmwfe/here_comes_dogecoin_a_well_organized_team_and/[/b]

I saw Sunny’s update and Peercoin wasn’t mentioned at all. I was like Nooooooo…

It it truly a shame that inferior coins are gaining the upper hand. I sold all my xpm’s and put that money in addition to my previous ppc’s, now i’m beginning to think that was a mistake. I truly hope something will change.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I am also getting a little bit frustrated on communication politic. I read for month now , that the new release is ready and there has to be some testing. But still no official release.

Even the “quick” release 0.4 is now in the pipeline for some weeks. I understand that peercoin is a lot of work for one person and sunny is most likely also active in other projects, but I cannot understand why he is not getting more developers on board. We had several offers of devs to support peercoin in the past weeks/month

[quote=“pvox, post:78, topic:1829”]It it truly a shame that inferior coins are gaining the upper hand. I sold all my xpm’s and put that money in addition to my previous ppc’s, now i’m beginning to think that was a mistake. I truly hope something will change.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk[/quote]
That’s the problem with geniuses, they live in their own little world and it is hard to get them out of there…