The alt-coins war is raging, will Peercoin survive?

I don’t know if I can agree with that. I could be wrong but I think it works like this:

Step 1
BTCUSD goes up, so people sell there PPC to buy BTC. PPCBTC ratio dropping creates bigger supply of floating peercoins and downward pressure on PPCUSD. We see the same kind of thing for other coins as well, altcoins sell during the BTCUSD bullish rally, as all crypto currency enthusiast scrambles for increasing there bitcoins position, liquidating whatever other assets they hold on their hands.

Step 2
An increase in BTCUSD creates headlines in mainstream media. The imagination in the general public is sparked by sci-fi sounding technologies, that “only Marc Andreesen, and the likes of him seem to understand”. As BTCUSD creates all-time high, everyone makes money. The euphoria creeps in and when it suddenly dawns on people that it is “impossible to loose money” on bitcoins, because it is “different this time, because its about buying into the ‘new financial system’” people will be panic buying, afraid that will never be able to get coins as cheap.

Step 3
Older crypto currency enthusiasts have been there and done that quite a few times already. Seeing the price sky rocket, they take profit and diverse their holdings into altcoins. They know, that altcoins is a leveraged play in bitcoins, because altcoins can appreciate as only “penny-coins” can and you never know if the coin is going to make it into the big league or even replace Bitcoin.

Step 4
This time “everybody knows what bitcoins is”, but in the media there is talk about the “new financial system” and “decentralized stock and derivatives markets”. The rally is fueled be the excitement and big money will find the “next generation cryptos” as the most exiting play. I believe that marketwatch will write little about XxxCoins and more about things like etherium, mastercoin etc. This is where Peershares can shine and take spotlight.

Step 5
BTCUSD finally crashes, at least 50% from its high. Then rebounds in a few hours/days and then crashes again. The major correction causes panic and everyone starts to liquidate their holdings. Since there are no circuit breaks as in the stock market, the market sell-off as fast as and violent as they can. This is part of the free market. Everything sells off and the only good currency to hold at this point is USD.

Right now we’re still in the BTCUSD going up phase and therefor hedge funds and other professional traders are un-interested in peercoins. People who really believe in Peercoin have already bought all the peercoins they can afford and the only participants are only sellers in the market (note the difference to other new coins, that are still in the early distribution phase). Well… there are also those with a longer timeframe in mind, welcoming this opportunity to establish a greater position in peercoins. I belong to this group. This people accumulate slowly and are “reading the tape carefully”.

What “we” are looking for, is a jigsaw like price pattern where the price becomes very volatile, the volume increases and a bottom is created. The thing is, we could have one of those legs set already:
http://imgur.com/IrZMbWz

Technical analysis is not about predicting the future it is about calculating betting odds, i.e. limiting downside risk and maximizing return.

Marketing
I definitely think that Peershares should be marketed, targeting not only the “usual crypto crowd” but actually the established financial industry. Journalists writing for marketwatch, Marc Andreesen, these kind of people. Or why not trying to get the attention from the under banked people of the world, that actually could benefit the most from this technology? I think this is our target audience (not the trollbox in whatever exchange or IRC channel just to pump prices). My guess is that the Peershares team already have these kinds of plans. (Right?)

Had same thoughts, not quite sure if it’s true but that is exactly what I would do if I were one of them :slight_smile:

I have the impression that the long term surviving coins are the ones with both original technology and strong dev teams. Since not too long there is a very strong team working on both peershares and peercoin (instead of one strong dev), but I don’t think this is common knowledge beyond this forum… So possibly a lot of people are still thinking that Peercoin is maintained by ‘just one guy’.

Would it be a good idea to have a section on peercoin.net with some information on the dev team?

And maybe a section with a graphic overview of the ‘current projects’ so it’s more clear what’s happening in Peercoin world (0.5 development, peershares, peerunity). The peercoin.net/projects is currently under menu ‘contribute’, people might not click on that on their first visit.

Thank you pillow for sharing your view on this. I can imagine that it’s just the way you point it out. Especially the part with peer shares as contender in the second generation crypto competition instead of refinements like NXT that I thought might be the next generation.

Bitcoin brought the disruptive change and now everything is about incremental development and moving upmarket. That means using the disruptive technology to neighboring markets that are big enough for the new technology to grow but to small for the current industry to aggressively defend their market share.

This is exactly what peershares are doing: help peercoin to move upmarket. Now we have to see what current applications are the next gen cryptos are just good enough for to become the natural fit and take over the lead. Probably in the first step that will not be “replacing money and banks as a whole”.

There is a good chance that real world applications are not really interested in the enhancements that NXT or DRK and the like have to offer.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

Had same thoughts, not quite sure if it’s true but that is exactly what I would do if I were one of them :)[/quote]

They have been doing dirty trick.

Had same thoughts, not quite sure if it’s true but that is exactly what I would do if I were one of them :)[/quote]

They have been doing dirty trick.[/quote]
You don’t know that, do you? Even if so, doing the reverse would also be possible. And it won’t last that long. Only as long as they can keep on selling PPC. I don’t buy it though, all altcoins are down. They just launched a new application, Peercoin will see the same effect when Peershares goes live.

I agree. Like all of the implementations of platforms on the free market so early on in this decentralised public ledger technology revolution, it is natural for volatility, and to blame nxt stakeholders is a very far fetched, unbacked, unfair accusation.
For the last 1.5 years, I’ve only ever truly believed in 3 platforms, bitcoin, peercoin and nxt. I’m a decent stakeholder in the last 2. With bitcoin, I was too blinded by the price and made some bad sells…
Future innovations to look out for are skycoin, eMunie and ethereum. I think at the start of next year, these 6 will all be fighting in the top 8 on marketcap.

Peercoin definitely needs to pick up its marketing though, what happened to that video? And there activity on twitter isn’t the best.

The important thing is not marketing, it is a solid infrastructure at the moment. Does NXT have a solid infrastructure? I would like to see NXT ruined by itself.

The video is being animated as we speak. There was some delay because the voice guy had allergies, but everything is back on track now. Also, do you feel our Facebook page activity is good? I manage that and try to keep it up to date. David manages Twitter, but I know he’s been strapped for time lately.

[quote=“lovely89, post:47, topic:2418”]I agree. Like all of the implementations of platforms on the free market so early on in this decentralised public ledger technology revolution, it is natural for volatility, and to blame nxt stakeholders is a very far fetched, unbacked, unfair accusation.
For the last 1.5 years, I’ve only ever truly believed in 3 platforms, bitcoin, peercoin and nxt. I’m a decent stakeholder in the last 2. With bitcoin, I was too blinded by the price and made some bad sells…
Future innovations to look out for are skycoin, eMunie and ethereum. I think at the start of next year, these 6 will all be fighting in the top 8 on marketcap.

Peercoin definitely needs to pick up its marketing though, what happened to that video? And there activity on twitter isn’t the best.[/quote]

eMunie is still a thing? I haven’t heard about that in months. Thought it died

Never heard of skycoin ether thats interesting

BTC-E is the most important exchange for PPC.

In PPC/USD there is 3 times more sell orders then buy… :confused:
In PPC/BTC about 2x more sell then buy.

is my imagination or PPC and NMC are always together up or down and they are always close in value!
i wonder what would be the benefits if PPC was PoW merged mined with BTC but keeping also the PoS :wink:

I’m not too worried:-)

The true strategy should be only long term. For peercoin, that should be “a coin as secure as possible”. The goal is to give individuals a choice to put their life savings there. As this is an important thing in economy.

With the NuBits announcement today, we just have further strengthened our position in what OP calls the alt-coins war.

Here is the announcement in case you missed it: http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2923.0

PeerCoin is the only coin dedicated to long term high value storage. There are no other contenders in this market, more or less becuase most people are blinded by plascraptic stuff sold in retailers like ebay and amazon, low value deprecating assets.

[1] holding peercoin back are inmho, a secure minting button in the client and the confusion arounf how to mint and if it is secure…

[2] not expanding the offical peercoin dev team.

[quote=“jubalix, post:55, topic:2418”]PeerCoin is the only coin dedicated to long term high value storage. There are no other contenders in this market, more or less becuase most people are blinded by plascraptic stuff sold in retailers like ebay and amazon, low value deprecating assets.

[1] holding peercoin back are inmho, a secure minting button in the client and the confusion arounf how to mint and if it is secure…

[2] not expanding the offical peercoin dev team.[/quote]

You might have missed the announcement of Peerunity a few days ago. Peerunity has all offical wallet functionalities AND GUI-based minting (not a button tho), among other things. With the announcement the team is mentioned, too.

It puzzles me why the release is so low key. Nothing posted on bitcointalk.org. I was thinking of copying the announcement over but why the devs don’t do it? Letting PPC price to drop further to get cheap coins?

It was posted on BitcoinTalk…

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=636751.msg7099277#msg7099277

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=636751.msg7099277#msg7099277[/quote]

Thanks. It won’t get nearly as many readers as a post in the original PPC announcement thread. The announcement board of the altcoin section is so busy your post will be on page 3 in no time.

I think it would be good to see peercoin reiterating reasons why peercoin is a solid long term store of value, it’s set inflation, it’s small blockchain, reasons for the set fee, eco friendly pos, first pos movement, new devs, each update point instead of a link to sunny kings updates, then retweet reddit posts, interesting ppc talk posts. I’d like to see countdowns to things like the peerunity client, peershare releases and even if a little overshot, one for the video release. But also, rotate all of these over a few weeks, as people like to be reminded why peercoin is so great and alot will he missed if posted infrequently. Posting about cryptocurrencys in general too, just to see more peercoin involvement. Just some food for thought. :slight_smile:

That’s good about the video but I find it difficult to find this information sometimes, usually hidden in forum posts. I like the Facebook page, been following for about 6 months :slight_smile:
But I don’t think Facebook needs as much activity as twitter, As it can achieve more per post.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=636751.msg7099277#msg7099277[/quote]

Thanks. It won’t get nearly as many readers as a post in the original PPC announcement thread. The announcement board of the altcoin section is so busy your post will be on page 3 in no time.[/quote]

Do people still use that thread? The last time I looked at it was probably October 2013.