The alt-coins war is raging, will Peercoin survive?

buy low
sell high

everyone agree this is the case right? so are you buying or selling?

EDIT: for the record, I bought ppcbtc at 0.0031

I’m HODLing and not planning on selling anything within a year or 2. Or maybe 3, or 5. :whistle:

Selling PPC at those levels is very risky imo, only for pro traders.

A LOT is riding on PeerShares…
And whether it’s the right Gen 2.0 element that solidifies PPC in the Top 3.

My general feeling is that Sunny has thought this through…
And will create a relatively simple ecosystem with Crypto Assets…
While others get too complicated… and end up like Ripple.

Certainly a lot is riding on Peershares and although the concept is great, we don’t know much on where it is at. I suspect we are at least 6 months from release which is a long time in crypto land.

We do have peer4commit.com which hopefully creates a bit of a market for projects and jobs required.

I think that we also need to start working on infrastructure to support the Peershares concept, like decentral exchange to trade the Peershares and Peercoin. Instead of building that ourselves we should join initiatives like mastercoins have. By supporting their infra we can have a win-win in my opinion. They will get more market and we get relatively easy access to a decentralised exchange. My hands are itching to get such a thing going (tried before with omniwallet which can be the first step to join mastercoin ecosystem, I think maidsafecoin already went in BTW, but it is not too late!)

In general I think the time has come to look at where we can join other projects which can be mutually beneficial instead of trying to create infrastructure for Peercoin only. Just as strategic partnerships but without giving up autonomy.

Pros:

• more active nodes than NXT (don’t know how to check DRK)
  • fully open-source (both NXT andDRK have part/full closed sources) [not counting checkpoint system, it’s SK’s backdoor OS ;)]
  • proven( 20mo ?)
  • tradable directly for $
  • clear rules, bright future
    Cons:
  • low active stake
  • deposits on exchanges

TODO:

• mint for f#$*@n sake, mint with 20-30% of your stake, we’ve lost more 1/3 in relation to BTC in a week - no other than leaving $ on a street
  • we don’t need more exchanges to trade PPC, we need them to change their deposit systems to use multisig and move, at least part of, our coins to exchanges where those standards will be implemented first to encourage others

SUMMARY: keep calm, we’re here to stay, mint and… have fun? :slight_smile:

Don’t know what is demand for anonymity here? Simple question, do you want to participate in f.e. weekly PPC CoinJoin party? Do you use I2P? Would you use I2P to mix? If yes, it maybe worth to create such project.

Nice to hear you guys are pro-active. I’m still dreaming about OT (OpenTranscations, my darling I guess) but actually I think that the more places you can trade Peershares on, the more different currencies you can use to trade Peershares for, the better it is.

If other networks (counter, OT, master, etc) want to get some free promotion for their network, they could just put Peershares in there and perhaps get a bounty for it via peer4commit or similar.

I figure that they know the best how to implement it in there technology.

If peer people have to contribute code, I guess it’s a good thing to singe out which next gen is the best. I don’t know. Perhaps an existing one? Maybe NXT? They seem to be open minded, run PoS and actually have something running already. Counterparty is also up an running.

Seriously? Where did you have that piece of information from?

I look forward to hearing of them.

@ChuckOne
Part of opinions here are result of closed source NXT release, part are related to coins distribution.
You may not agree but distribution of NXT coins, thus also minting/mining/forging power, was highly centralized.
All coins have some flaws, bottlenecks, limits, unresolved issues - we’re in crypto-infancy.

Let’s all chill out, PPC and NXT are targeting different, not colliding(in theory :wink: ), parts of the market( but competition in mkt cap is real as hell :smiley: ).

@kac-
Sure. It is just that I do not like the attitude of dumping unqualified and uninformed pieces of data into a thread of serious discussion.

Therefore, I demanded some clarifications of these claims.

I will explain you why PPC is loosing ground:

http://coinmarketcap.com/volume.html#ppc

PPC is mostly traded on BTC-E which is loosing ground, other exchanges getting more popular, and there is planty of other coins on BTC-E competitors. And above all BTC is popular in China.

http://postimg.org/image/4li8ylck3/

There is more and more cryptos on mintpal and cryptsy, so they take the atraction from well known BTC,LTC,NMC,PPC…

BTC-E is losing ground against other big players, and BTC-E is greatest PPC seller.

Now because people see BTC is more avaiable and is going faster then LTC and PPC, people start to sell LTC and PPC for BTC.

Summary: PPC needs a PR actions in other exchanges then BTC-E, maybe even separate Chinese adds and promo videos and so on. People don’t really know what is the real value of projects and comunity behind PPC. There is no adds about differences between PPC and other Cryptos. There should be a table which shows in which feature PPC is better then other TOP 10 cryptos. And this must be advertised in other biggest exchanges and even translated to Chinese.

Hey guys, I sold my ~1k PPC at -33% yesterday, as I lost hope of PPC recovering anytime soon. That was a valuable though expensive lesson, for which I thank you. Two things about Peercoin worry me so much I decided to take my loss:

[ol][li]The first is the low daily volumes. Yes, I realize it’s one of the ideas behind Peercoin that there shouldn’t be a lot of transactions bloating the chain. However, it’s getting a bit too low to make me feel comfortable with it. It feels to me like people are losing interest and it´s all downhill from here. Though I love the idea of Peercoin, I think that my contribution to the cause has been more than enough at this point.[/li]
[li]It seems to me that Peercoin has a lot of potential whereas Primecoin has pretty much none. For my taste, there is far too much effort being invested in Primecoin which could have been used to improve Peercoin. IMHO Primecoin is great from an academic perspective, but as long as the creation of these prime chains doesn´t add value which flows back to the miners and/or holders somehow it´s pointless from an economical perspective.[/li][/ol]

Take hope in the obvious possibility that I’m completely wrong, as obviously I’m not a very savvy investor… :wink:
And with that, dear Peercoin community, I bid you adieu.

Best of luck in the future!

[quote=“Jazzer, post:32, topic:2418”]Hey guys, I sold my ~1k PPC at -33% yesterday, as I lost hope of PPC recovering anytime soon. That was a valuable though expensive lesson, for which I thank you. Two things about Peercoin worry me so much I decided to take my loss:

[ol][li]The first is the low daily volumes. Yes, I realize it’s one of the ideas behind Peercoin that there shouldn’t be a lot of transactions bloating the chain. However, it’s getting a bit too low to make me feel comfortable with it. It feels to me like people are losing interest and it´s all downhill from here. Though I love the idea of Peercoin, I think that my contribution to the cause has been more than enough at this point.[/li]
[li]It seems to me that Peercoin has a lot of potential whereas Primecoin has pretty much none. For my taste, there is far too much effort being invested in Primecoin which could have been used to improve Peercoin. IMHO Primecoin is great from an academic perspective, but as long as the creation of these prime chains doesn´t add value which flows back to the miners and/or holders somehow it´s pointless from an economical perspective.[/li][/ol]

Take hope in the obvious possibility that I’m completely wrong, as obviously I’m not a very savvy investor… :wink:
And with that, dear Peercoin community, I bid you adieu.

Best of luck in the future![/quote]

If you feel that getting out is the right thing for you to do, you should definitely do so. Personally I’m raising the stakes. Why? Because the only reason the price spiked up earlier, was because all the alts was on fire. Now just about all of them have fallen deeper and harder then bitcoins. AltCoins are generally speaking an option on bitcoins. Actually bitcoins is contrary to what some news outlets wants us to believe, a super small almost non-existent currency. The only reason there is so much talk about it, is because it is fringe and the first real invention to money since man discovered gold so to speak (trustless and decentralized).

When bitcoins catch on fire, a huge amount of fiat will be flowing into many altcoins as well. All the big altcoins will get a price boost. Smart hedge fund investors will see through gimmicky coins and bet on what they expect long lasting real deal - that’s what Peercoin is all about. Also keep in mind, Peercoin will shine in its own right when Bitcoin starts to seriously fail. Some things takes time. I’ve got a whole lot of minting to do before then.

Oh and yes. I got in at bitcoin at $10 and everyone told me I was stupid back then and nobody understood my analysis about bitcoins. Same thing with litecoins, I was one of the earliest. Everybody said I was crazy back then too. Why would it be any different this time (besides I feel like a newcomer compared to you guys - but I’m not that smart)? :slight_smile:

Wow, that’s pretty amazing! I missed Bitcoin, but got into Litecoin at $1 and Peercoin at .15 cents, now solely in Peercoin. I like your track record. Just curious, are they still calling you nuts even though your investments have paid off big time?

[quote=“pillow, post:33, topic:2418”]If you feel that getting out is the right thing for you to do, you should definitely do so. Personally I’m raising the stakes. Why? Because the only reason the price spiked up earlier, was because all the alts was on fire. Now just about all of them have fallen deeper and harder then bitcoins. AltCoins are generally speaking an option on bitcoins. Actually bitcoins is contrary to what some news outlets wants us to believe, a super small almost non-existent currency. The only reason there is so much talk about it, is because it is fringe and the first real invention to money since man discovered gold so to speak (trustless and decentralized).

When bitcoins catch on fire, a huge amount of fiat will be flowing into many altcoins as well. All the big altcoins will get a price boost. Smart hedge fund investors will see through gimmicky coins and bet on what they expect long lasting real deal - that’s what Peercoin is all about. Also keep in mind, Peercoin will shine in its own right when Bitcoin starts to seriously fail. Some things takes time. I’ve got a whole lot of minting to do before then.

Oh and yes. I got in at bitcoin at $10 and everyone told me I was stupid back then and nobody understood my analysis about bitcoins. Same thing with litecoins, I was one of the earliest. Everybody said I was crazy back then too. Why would it be any different this time (besides I feel like a newcomer compared to you guys - but I’m not that smart)? :)[/quote]
Thanks for buying my coins then, pleasure doing business with you! :slight_smile:

I fully agree that Peercoin will outlast Bitcoin in the long run, as obviously Bitcoin is not sustainable (or least will have very high upkeep cost). However, by the time this happens I think that there will be alternatives available which have a technological edge on Peercoin. Already NXT is better, though that coin has far too much bad karma. I’m sure there will be legitimate coins in the future which do away with PoW entirely.

Anyway, good luck with my coins, I’ll check back here in a few months to share an e-beer and see how we did.

@Jazzer Good luck man! :slight_smile:

Any ideas why so low volume on NXT, looks like kite-war-machine?

[quote=“kac-, post:36, topic:2418”]@Jazzer Good luck man! :slight_smile:

Any ideas why so low volume on NXT, looks like kite-war-machine?[/quote]
Well the key shareholders are holding, no new coins are mined and their new exchange attracts new users, so their price goes up until main shareholders decide to take some profit.

We’ve got the reverse where main shareholders are holding, but there are no new users buying while new coins are still being mined and minted. It is really time to educate users that investing in Bitcoin, Litecoin is really even more riskier. And show what is underway. Today is a good day to start with release of Peerunity, but we also need Peer4commit and Peershares to deliver to create demand for the coin.

it looks like people really get nervous. for some days i myself check by here daily to find a hint on whats going on thats causing such a decline in exchange rate lately. it seemed like every time btc rose and ppc should have profited automagically (because its measured relative to btc) most of the time, someone used the possibility to sell huge amounts of ppc without depressing the exchange rate compared to USD. No matter what happened to BTC, PPC went down to $2 and stayed there.

Now its going under this bottom. that could be due too the fact that long term holders get nervous as they feel that they have been waiting long enough for things to evolve. or maybe because initial stakeholders of nxt coins used their wealth previously to buy up ppc and now sell them to keep the market cap of nxt over the level of ppc to finally establish nxt as the leader in the PoS field of cryptos. the same thing could be done with any of these pre mined cryptos.

at least i am sure that the price of ppc is manipulated in the one or other way. of the top 3 established cryptos it was still a relatively easy target to leave behind for any new competitor, since the market cap of ltc was about 10 times that of ppc and btc was 20 times that of ltc during the last couple of months.

funny dogecoin nearly overtook ppc position, ripple was the second largest crypto for a while according to market cap, auroracoin passed ppc for some weeks and all of them fell down again. same thing will happen to darkcoin when people realize that the legal frameworks in place for bitcoin that allow businesses to accept it as payment, will never be applied to dark coin as they require a transparent public ledger. dark coin will be declared illegal for sure almost everywhere.

about nxt i’m not completely sure yet. the only reason why its considered evil seems to be the initial distribution. my personal complaint is that it has as today 2/3 the transaction volume of ppc at 1.5 the market cap. so if ppc would have the same market cap, it would have roughly 2.25 times the transaction volume of nxt. i’m sure that it’s neither fair nor accurate to calculate like this, but the volume on nxt seems exceptionally (artificially) low to me at this point, what naturally contributes to rising prices.

last but not least, what do we have? i can remember the days when there have been a handful of posts on these forums. i studied the code of the client on github because i felt like i have to answer the questions according to the selfish miner scheme since nobody else had answers. sunny was developing alone and busy with primecoin. suddenly there was a wave of marketing guys and i really felt what difference it can make to post comments under newspaper articles. the names of the new forum members (me.being.awesome, justabitoftime) alone spread this amazing optimism that lacked here for quite some time among the techies that didn’t understand why nobody else seemed to value their ingenious toy. before we did our best to defend ppc (and by that time PoS) against all the criticism in discussion threads over at bitcointalk, but until justabitoftime we made no progress. suddenly it was fun and the future was bright. this was also the only time when ppc have been explicitly mentioned in news. now news are back to mention btc, ltc and the current favorite hype coin.

i think we are now in the same process of doing our best to defend our beloved toy. and we at least tenfolded in size till then. people don’t speak out and show their support openly, but they still state consistently that ppc is their favorite PoS alt coin in the bitcointalk discussions. they again lack arguments to counter the newest thread called nxt. and in the meantime they engage to correct flaws e.g. by setting up full nodes on raspberry pies, because they feel thats the least they can do to maintain the chance to change the world to the better.

and this is what counts. ppc supporters are here to stand up for the right thing.

We just need to release the coldlock minting, and the price will be back up. Last time ppl were waiting for the feature to come with 0.4. It didnt happened and we lost momentum right there, but looking at the bright side, coldlocking never left the table and getting more refined by sk and the community, we also have raspberry node/minting going, peershare, peerunity, and more community involvement. So fundamentally we are way better than when we were at the ath.

Anyway this is the bitcoin rally of the year( many predicted it should peak before aug )folks who have too much stake in ppc are trying not to miss the boat.

But hey theres a time when btc kept on rally and ltc’d been dropping to 0.002, ppl decided that should be the bottom and panic bot them to 0.03. If fundamental is not poo, youll never know what would come next.

Quarterly price actions are 60% caused by whales and trend followers, 30% by PR, 10% by development.
Five yearly price actions are 60% caused by development, 30% by whales and trend followers, 10% by PR.