Status of Peercoin development

I had seen the update, but I was hoping for details about what was being tested and the rough timeline for getting access to the branch.

Hmm…but as he will release a v0.3.1 I assume testing for v0.4 will take some more time. Otherwise the realease of v0.3.1 whould not make sense :-\

That’s part of my concern, too – on the other hand, v0.3.1 fixes a potentially critical vulnerability (though very limited in the scope of those who could be affected) that was patched, so the decision to release it may have been made knowing that the rest of the testing for v0.4 was already going forward in parallel.

I’ll sum up my concerns about transparency with a simple statement:

Information voids lead to speculation, speculation leads to fear, uncertainty and doubt. There is far too much money, time and effort involved in the Peercoin network and community at this point for development to continue to be opaque, regardless of Sunny’s good intentions.

Information voids lead to speculation, speculation leads to fear, uncertainty and doubt. There is far too much money, time and effort involved in the Peercoin network and community at this point for development to continue to be opaque, regardless of Sunny’s good intentions.[/quote]

It skews expectations too. I’ve seen several people assume that the increased time it’s taken for 0.4 means there may be extra/surprise features.

Is Sunny testing minting? The test of minting will take months!

If I’ve learned anything investing, it’s that markets do not like surprises.

v0.3.1 is a non-impact, it’s a one liner fix.

Information voids lead to speculation, speculation leads to fear, uncertainty and doubt. There is far too much money, time and effort involved in the Peercoin network and community at this point for development to continue to be opaque, regardless of Sunny’s good intentions.[/quote]

It skews expectations too. I’ve seen several people assume that the increased time it’s taken for 0.4 means there may be extra/surprise features.[/quote]

Have to admit, I’ve been part of that and hopefully for the good. Just trying to increase morale. The risk is that the disillusion will be far bigger.

I still think and hope that Sunny actually has some new developments for us, even if it was only to keep us in the same game as other coins. :-
Better scenario would be that there is some real innovation pending (please have some 2nd generation metadata added to blockchain, trust models, email or alternative blockchains stuff for us). :stuck_out_tongue:
Worst case scenario is that he has been doing other things (ethereum?) and just gets a maintenance update out to keep us sweet for a while :cry:

Whatever comes out, we will need to pick up the game and start contributing as a community pretty soon. Please all clear your calendars 8)

For now keeping my fingers crossed and turning my Peercoins around every day :o for Florida meeting announcements.

+1

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

That’s it. Nothing more to say.

Some of the greatest pieces of software have been delayed… Even GTA V was delayed. :slight_smile:

Creating a new piece of software is uncharted territory, you can only guess how long it will take without being fully sure.

You can either:

1. Release something that “sort of works” and send out multiple “security updates” like Microsoft Windows does all the time

(HORRIBLE IDEA. I wish Microsoft would stop releasing operating systems that are so alpha and beta like that)

OR

1. Release something that is tested, proven, and true. What Sunny King is trying to do…

[unintended rhyme] :slight_smile:

This gap between investors and the actual programmers of an IT department continually exists in most companies. You often have programmers trying to perfect their code, while the marketing department is screaming in their ear to hurry up.

Rush too fast, you get an inferior product. Do it right, you’ll be pleased with the results.

Sunny is making a digital wallet, to hold value. If he wants to test how secure the newest version of the wallet is… I encourage it.

If Sunny feels more time is needed, I support that 100%. Once the code for 0.4 is released, I would love to see him create a blog to see what progress is being made. The more communication we can facilitate, the better.

I want to make sure it’s clear that I’m not uneasy because of the time it has taken to release v0.4. I work in the software industry, so I know how long it takes to put out a polished version of a product that is ready for “prime time”.

What I don’t like is that, to date, development on Peercoin is “black box”. The community is busting it’s ass daily to promote the product, build interest and engage the community, but has no idea where the protocol is going, or what to expect for the future. This makes it very difficult to correctly build the messaging and tools needed for the product to succeed.

Sunny wrote the protocol, and gave Peercoin life, but it’s because of the work that people do here, and in other Peercoin hubs around the Web, that Peercoin has been as successful as it has been to date.

[quote=“Ben, post:53, topic:860”]I want to make sure it’s clear that I’m not uneasy because of the time it has taken to release v0.4. I work in the software industry, so I know how long it takes to put out a polished version of a product that is ready for “prime time”.

What I don’t like is that, to date, development on Peercoin is “black box”. The community is busting it’s ass daily to promote the product, build interest and engage the community, but has no idea where the protocol is going, or what to expect for the future. This makes it very difficult to correctly build the messaging and tools needed for the product to succeed.

Sunny wrote the protocol, and gave Peercoin life, but it’s because of the work that people do here, and in other Peercoin hubs around the Web, that Peercoin has been as successful as it has been to date.[/quote]

I would have to agree with this. We can’t even fix the checkpoint info on the website because Sunny is unavailalbe for questioning, so it’s hard to answer people’s questions on the issue when we don’t even know the correct answers ourselves. I trust Sunny, but we desperately need more communication with him if we’re to do our jobs properly.

I’m hoping that after 0.4 gets released, Sunny opens up the development process so we can get more of a back and forth dialog and answers to common questions and get him the help he needs to expand the dev team to speed things up.

If he made a blog then it should be on the website. Somebody would have to set it up for him and give him access to it.

[quote=“Ben, post:53, topic:860”]I want to make sure it’s clear that I’m not uneasy because of the time it has taken to release v0.4. I work in the software industry, so I know how long it takes to put out a polished version of a product that is ready for “prime time”.

Sunny wrote the protocol, and gave Peercoin life, but it’s because of the work that people do here, and in other Peercoin hubs around the Web, that Peercoin has been as successful as it has been to date.[/quote]

+1 . Spot On Ben

sorry if it has been asked before.
what a bout a second security layer in ppc wallet?
i mean every one that runs qt in his rig he has the wallet unlocked in order to make use of PoS
(this is true for every PoS coin)
if someone can get control of this rig then he can get all the ppc.
if we had 2 passwords, one for unlock wallet and the other to sent a transaction?

@seki: This issue should be resolved by the “cold-locked transaction” feature which is actually in development and will hopefully be released with 0.4.

Cold-locked transactions allow you to send coins to a hot wallet without a possibility for them to be stolen, because you can restrict them to a specific destination address which will be the only one where you can send them from your hot wallet. Transactions to other addresses would not be allowed and be ignored by the system, so if a hacker gets access to the private key of the “minting wallet” he can’t do anything usefull with it.

So you can mint with your hot wallet without risk and store the private key of the wallet with this destination address in a safe place (offline paperwallet etc.).

I think this is really a killer feature and so I hope it gets released fast :slight_smile:

I think once a refurbished Peercoin v0.4 is released with some surprise features, everyone who is capable of doing so should dig into the code, understand it and try to improve the code.
Sunny King should not have to do all the programming work, but right now, him having the most up to date source code not publicly available, I don’t want to code on ideas or issues possibly already coded.

Once 0.4 is publicly available I’d love to see some community coding going on.