Status of Peercoin development

Just looking at the peercoin source code and I notice that there has been no updates in 7 months! Has Sunny abandoned Peercoin in favor of Primecoin which appears to have much more active development.

Version 0.4 is coming soon. I think Sunny is taking the Apple approach and letting anticipation build rather than announcing everything in advance.

I’m in frequent contact with Sunny through email lately, he’s continuing to push forward. I’m meeting with him tomorrow, I’ll dig up as much as possible. :slight_smile:

There’s so much to do and not enough active volunpeers (yet) to get it all done. In the next few weeks, I want to help create an initiative to help add development support for Peercoin. It’s not going to happen unless we make it so as a community.

Hi,

I started to to merge and update some commits from bitcoin, branch 0.7.2, into a fork from ppc master branch. I sent a pull request, would be nice to know if there is something being done on a private repository, which we cannot see, or if I can continue to do it.

my pull request: https://github.com/ppcoin/ppcoin/pull/23

Im sure Sunny already invested much time in merging the bitcoin 0.8 code in PPC 0.4 in his private repository. So you are probably doing this owrk again. You should contact Sunny to ask him where you can help. I very much appreciate you want to help out at the development.

[quote=“vpereira, post:5, topic:860”]Hi,

I started to to merge and update some commits from bitcoin, branch 0.7.2, into a fork from ppc master branch. I sent a pull request, would be nice to know if there is something being done on a private repository, which we cannot see, or if I can continue to do it.

my pull request: https://github.com/ppcoin/ppcoin/pull/23[/quote]

Good work! Peercoin can never get too many developers :slight_smile:

@sunny : how are things going? Could you please give some sort of feedback regarding the new wallet 0.4? What is already included? What is todo? Do you have a timeframe in mind?

Yes an update would be good as I’m starting to look at the code now and I would like to understand if there are things that need doing/are pointless doing right now.

really looking forward to Version 0.4.
the traders in my whatsapp group are really happy with the rising price of PPC.

hm, no update? I see that primecoin still active tough… for example last commit was 15 days ago… so any idea when we will be able to contribute with ppcoin? will Sunny open his private repository, even as experimental branch, with tickets to be done? I can help him to manage git pulls x open tickets x feature requests, etc

I see this request, I’m working as quickly as possible over the holiday. I’m hoping to touch base with Sunny by tomorrow. I know this important, we’ll get it straightened out.

Any updates on adding cold-locked transactions and coin control? We need these if peercoin is going to compete with the proof of work coins in security.

Sorry to keep you guys waiting, yes peercoin v0.4 has been in the works, once the merge with bitcoin v0.8 is reasonably stabilized I would push a v0.4 branch on the repo so interested developers can try it out. Hopefully in one or two weeks.

Cold-locked transaction feature might be or might not be in v0.4, I haven’t decided yet. If not it would be in v0.5. Coin control wouldn’t be in v0.4, we’ll first see what bitcoin v0.9 does with it.

I appreciate the interest in participating ppc development. Expanding ppc core dev team is one of my top priorities in 2014, so yes, all of you are valuable members to the community :slight_smile:

That’s awesome :slight_smile: Can’t wait to try it. I also think coin control would be neat - just the other day I sent 1 PPC somewhere and it moved all my coins :confused:

Thanks for the update Sunny, appreciate the work you’re putting in.

** Personally ** I rather see development push a bit to make sure the cold-locked transaction feature makes it into v0.4.

** Personally ** I rather see development push a bit to make sure the cold-locked transaction feature makes it into v0.4.[/quote]

+1 Cold-locked will certainly make the idea of PoS more attractive and helps with the network effects.

Pls add console on 0.4 ,just like Bitcoin-qt,Litcoin-qt did .

[quote=“Sunny King, post:14, topic:860”]Sorry to keep you guys waiting, yes peercoin v0.4 has been in the works, once the merge with bitcoin v0.8 is reasonably stabilized I would push a v0.4 branch on the repo so interested developers can try it out. Hopefully in one or two weeks.

Cold-locked transaction feature might be or might not be in v0.4, I haven’t decided yet. If not it would be in v0.5. Coin control wouldn’t be in v0.4, we’ll first see what bitcoin v0.9 does with it.

I appreciate the interest in participating ppc development. Expanding ppc core dev team is one of my top priorities in 2014, so yes, all of you are valuable members to the community :)[/quote]

Sunny, great news. I foresee the price of PPC rising dramatically in 2014 thanks to your great contributions. Rock on.