Status of Peercoin development

I also think that cold-locked transactions is a very important feature and would love to see it in 0.4. It will allow large PPC holders to participate in PoS minting without the risks of actual hot wallets.

Sunny, Is it possible for you release a screenshot of the cold-locked feature?

I have been asked repeatedly by PoS miners on the security concern of running hot wallets online. BTW, the QQ group members grows to 320+.

I will start PoS minting when cold-locked transactions are implemented :slight_smile:

am i wrong or on monday we will have two weeks since sunny announcement for new release?

On the issue of coin control not being in 0.4, I don’t think that’s a big deal. Given how the coin control addon of the last few Bitcoin releases has been developed, I’m sure it would be easy enough for someone knowledgeable with the code to create PPC+Control releases based on the BTC 0.8 addon until it becomes an official feature in the future.

That said, cold-locked transactions seems like an important enough feature to squeeze into 0.4. We’ve already waited this long for 0.4, a bit more time to get CLT in shouldn’t be an issue!

Sunny, thanks for the update. While I see coin control as an important feature, I think v0.4 without cold-locked transactions is an absolute nogo.

I´m sure this is the main feature everyone who holds (or is planning to hold) bigger ammounts of Peercoin is waiting for. I really hope you do not release v0.4 without cold-locked transactions. v0.4 is now awaited by everymone since month. Shouldn´t be a problem to wait a few more weeks.

i believe that as soon as he open the branch 0.4, even without some features, it makes the opportunity that people come aboard and implement it, with sunny supervising the implementation.

[quote=“MUTO, post:26, topic:860”]Sunny, thanks for the update. While I see coin control as an important feature, I think v0.4 without cold-locked transactions is an absolute nogo.

I´m sure this is the main feature everyone who holds (or is planning to hold) bigger ammounts of Peercoin is waiting for. I really hope you do not release v0.4 without cold-locked transactions. v0.4 is now awaited by everymone since month. Shouldn´t be a problem to wait a few more weeks.[/quote]

I’d have to agree with this. I don’t want to expose my coins to that much risk. If that feature is implemented then I’d feel much better about enabling proof of stake minting.

Any updates on the new version? Is there a list of changes out for 0.4 yet? What can we expect once it’s finished?

I’m sure it won’t be much longer. Better to be patient and let Sunny King create a big major update.

But I have to agree, I can’t wait for a new Wallet with the Logo update, the Name improvement and maybe even minting with a locked wallet. Crazy times for Peercoin this year. :slight_smile:

I think either he ran into some unforeseen issues or he’s probably taking the extra time to implement cold-locked transactions, since everybody here said they’d rather wait for that feature.

I really wish we had a more open development process. If changes were pushed out to github on a more regular basis it would d be easier for others to step up and help. For example, there are several changes I would like to implement to improve the Mac wallet, but the code on github is 5 months old. samilaine also has a pull request for some changes to make the client more compatible with OS X 10.9. I’m a huge fan of sunny’s work, it’s just a little frustrating not being able to do anything. :confused:

Yes, I appreciate waiting a bit longer to implement cold-locked transactions.

Also I do agree with poster above that a bit more transparency might be appropriate. Understand that you don’t want to over promise as that would create disappointments and unnecessary lengthy discussions, but letting seep through some items would be nice. Even Apple does that :wink:

Regarding outside contributions in development I really hope that things are more opened up once 0.4 is released. I can imagine that given the constraint resources but also for quality control outside contributions are frozen during sometime before release. But I think we need to leverage on the power of open source development. However, we still need to find a way to ensure developer’s time is not wasted with low value contributions. Quality control can be quite time consuming. Therefore I can imagine that a team wants to work with a core group of trusted coders/developers/testers. So there need to be a way where wannabee developers/testers can gain credits (including stakes) over time to join inner core development and contribute. Full transparency is important though to sustain trust by other stakeholders.

The issue of transparent trusted developers is tricky though, as it goes against the distributed principles cryptos work. It might be regarded as a vulnerability. And security by obscurity is not the way to deal with it. However transparency seem to be the best for now, when it comes to necessary central activities.
Over time development should probably be done by DACs (look here for some good reading to start with: http://bitcoinmagazine.com/7050/bootstrapping-a-decentralized-autonomous-corporation-part-i/) but we are clearly not there yet.

Just my thoughts

Edit: changed decentral in distributed

i would give bounties for PeerCoin dev…i have metioned this before a PeerCoin Fund

I know that a more transparent development cycle would make me more secure in my support of the protocol. It’s not that I don’t trust Sunny’s vision and dev skills, but rather, I dislike the feeling that the community is holding it’s collective breath until a major unveiling is finally deemed ready.

Single developers make not a distributed system.

[quote=“Ben, post:35, topic:860”]I know that a more transparent development cycle would make me more secure in my support of the protocol. It’s not that I don’t trust Sunny’s vision and dev skills, but rather, I dislike the feeling that the community is holding it’s collective breath until a major unveiling is finally deemed ready.

Single developers make not a distributed system.[/quote]+1
I think it will change after 0.4-alpha release, by this time any community efforts related to merging with 0.8x would be waste of time. I’d prefer to get 0.4 asap, even w/o additional features because:

• cold-locked txs are interesting but I don’t consider them as fundamental to Peercoin network
  • coin control is easily achievable by using RPC, there is no reason to put it in the client’s core
    I just can’t wait for 0.4, hope that next weekly update will contain ETA

More frequent/transparent updates would definitely help morale around here.

So, how are things looking in development land? Any updates on version 0.4 regarding functionality or timeline?

Sunny King’s Weekly Updates #73 - 01/14/14

• Due to the bug affecting Peercoin minters using Qt with minting only unlock mode, I would release a v0.3.1 bug fix builds for these users. No need to upgrade if you don’t use this feature.
• Peercoin v0.4 is still under testing. I will push a development branch once testing is complete.
• Check out gpool.net, another relatively new primecoin mining pool. I didn’t realize primecoin has a few more forks now Wink

Have fun!

So he’s no longer developing it. He’s in the testing phase now.