Rumor: Peercoin Partnership With Tesla?

Hurray, then my comment had some value after all :))

I’ve never communicated with Todd.

Though baked into the pie from the moment PoW was implemented, I think Bitcoin have a long way to go before the flaws will surface. When they do, the trust in the network could evaporate over night. Why am I so certain about this? Because when it comes to weaknesses and flaws, ignorant users will ignore the dangers until it hits them in the face. An example of this is MtGox. No matter how many warnings, people kept using it. Same thing will happen with Bitcoin, hence it will keep on running until it don’t. In the case with Ripple, people use it even though their funds can be frozen at any moment. Same as true for much of legacy banking, still people continue to use these services. Peercoin is a longer-term play and only when issues becomes REALLY apparent, like 51% attack on Bitcoin or what not, then Peercoin will be able to compete with Bitcoin on Bitcoins terms.

That’s how I see it. If the Peercoin ecosystem continues to grow, it will gain market share on its own terms. I think that is good enough. If it eventually out-compete Bitcoin too, that’s also nice for me, because I own some peercoins.

Yea, I’ve been talking a whole lot about OT because that was the only really good off-blockchain alternative that I knew of and from the very start, I’ve been convinced that off-blockchain transactions are vital for Peercoin and for all other blockchains too. Too bad nothing much seems to happen with it. The Lightningsnetwork is only in its cradle and its totally Bitcoin driven. If Peercoin was able to research and design and implement it first, Bitcoin would still be able to fork it. I guess we could do the same when they do it.

I’ve not read to much about the the Lightningnetwork, but it sounds like a really good solution. In many ways even better then OT, but OT have additional features that Lightningnetwork does not, so it’s not a fair comparison in that sense. More about it here: https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/epicenter-bitcoin-joseph-poon-and-tadge-dryja-scalability-and-the-lightning-network

You wrote earlier that you’re holding a lot of coins. Do you know other people that also do and is this the people you’re referring to when you write “we’ve”? Not that it matters, but I’m curious :smiley:

Oh and thanks for promoting Peercoin. :-*

Pillow, Jordan said

The Open Transactions project was started in 2011 and has been months away from release for years. I took a look at their source code some time ago and was quite unimpressed with their architecture. Their code was extremely verbose and repetitive. They seemed to not make good use of core programming concepts such as inheritance, overrides and abstract classes. Chris Odom is the original developer of Open Transactions, but stepped down from his role as CTO at Monetas (the company developing Open Transactions) two months ago. What is it that makes you think the release of Open Transactions is near?[b] I hope they succeed, but my guess is it will never be released. I have said before I wouldn't want to be tasked with building Open Transactions because I don't know how to implement the specifications. I don't see any reason to think anyone else knows how to either. [/b] Ethereum is making better progress toward release, but is there any reason to think it will be an effective competitor of B&C Exchange? Looking at the Ethereum subreddit, I found this discussion of a decentralized exchange to be hosted on Ethereum:

There, I found the following comments:

seven7hwave:

EtherEx is strictly for trading crypto-assets based on Ethereum. However, there should be similar projects in the not-too-distant future that facilitate fiat-to-ether (and Ethereum-based assets).

alsomahler:

It only allows the exchange of digital tokens created on the Ethereum platform

You will not be able to use Ethereum to trade native cryptoassets. Proxy assets may be employed, like BitBTC on Bitshares. That is not at all the same as trading native Bitcoin for native Bitshares, which B&C Exchange will allow users to do and is what users want to do. B&C Exchange is a groundbreaking design that meets needs no competitor can.

Ethereum is based on the notion that one blockchain can rule them all, or that a cleverly built blockchain can serve a wide variety of business models simultaneously. My guess is that it will not optimally serve any business model. The Peershare philosophy is quite different. It employs separate blockchains with diverse protocols for diverse business models. Each Peershare doesn’t do everything, but each one does something very well. As a group, they can serve a wide variety of business models.

interesting discussion although OT, so I’ll get back to the point with another question:

is Tesla going to make an investment in PPC eventually? cause as far as I’m concerned the best marketing is price and PPC price has been stagnating for quite a while with people losing interest. Now I believe that in order to relaunch this coin and give it a chance to seriously compete with bitcoin as the main POS alternative, an investment of at least 1m dollar is required. For a company like TESLA it’s peanuts, but I wonder whether they may even consider such a thing. 1$m investment would easily push the price above 0.002 btc and jump start a new bull market on ppc.

This is the primary focus here. The off-shoot products @Sentinelrv mentioned which have been developed to support the Peercoin brand show commitment to the community. That is why we’re here today.

Interesting. To extend this idea …

• Every Tesla car computer (or an embedded peerbox) has a pre-installed green point wallet (implemented as tailored peershares) pre-charged with, say, 10,000 green points.
  • When the car is driven, the wallet mints new green points. Minting difficulty can be tied to inverse speed – the more you drive, the more you use green enerygy, the more you mint.
  • Green points can be redeemed, like airliner mileage, by green point program partners for charging, servicing etc.
  • Partners will send the collected green points back to Tesla for a green point program reward.
  • Green points can be traded like a cryptocoin by users so Tesla is not burdened with users’ accounting, although by examining the block chain Tesla could know how every point was spent (which partner collected how much).
  • Green points can be recycled and colored. Your wallet could be having a point used to belong to, or minted by, Elon.[/quote]
    Have you managed to hack yourself into some recent whiteboarding sessions? [emoji6]

Interesting. To extend this idea …

• Every Tesla car computer (or an embedded peerbox) has a pre-installed green point wallet (implemented as tailored peershares) pre-charged with, say, 10,000 green points.
  • When the car is driven, the wallet mints new green points. Minting difficulty can be tied to inverse speed – the more you drive, the more you use green enerygy, the more you mint.
  • Green points can be redeemed, like airliner mileage, by green point program partners for charging, servicing etc.
  • Partners will send the collected green points back to Tesla for a green point program reward.
  • Green points can be traded like a cryptocoin by users so Tesla is not burdened with users’ accounting, although by examining the block chain Tesla could know how every point was spent (which partner collected how much).
  • Green points can be recycled and colored. Your wallet could be having a point used to belong to, or minted by, Elon.[/quote]
    Have you managed to hack yourself into some recent whiteboarding sessions? [emoji6][/quote]
    Amazing :slight_smile: I was very keen to see your thoughts on mph comments as I really hoped your concepts were along these lines. It would appear at this point in time the lovely people at Tesla are discussing the right topics for peercoin integration / collaboration.
    Better start saving so I can buy my peercoin Tesla when its released!!

Lots of other ideas and questions on this project but am little busy at the moment but hopefully will be able to input more soon.

Fuzzybear

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

[quote=“RobertLloyd, post:39, topic:3530”][quote=“Alloy, post:5, topic:3530”]Tesla is currently in discussions about implementing Bitcoin to offer it at the consumer level. Early adopters were the ones suggesting Peercoin as a complementing option.

This may just be the first phase. If Tesla doesn’t request exclusive licensing, we can offer it to other eco-friendly automotive manufacturers too. This will broaden the marketshare even further.[/quote]

Hi, Alloy

This is fascinating.

Regarding your opening post, can you explain more about who you mean by “early adopters”. I don’t mean names of individuals, but adopters of what - PPC or BTC?

Also, can you explain who you mean by “we” - who/what do you represent?

Thank you[/quote]
RobertLlyod,

Hello. My reference to “early adopters” is toward digital currency as a whole; Peercoin/PPC was actually the first crypto mention when discussions with Tesla Motors first commenced.

When I speak about specifics of “we”, I am referring to my business partners. We represent at small team whose interest is in the Internet of Things, Cryptocurrency (Peercoin/PPC amongst others), and energy-efficient related technologies and concepts.

Thank you,
Alloy

Oops if Tesla opereated like Job’s Apple, anything like what I wrote would be thrown off the table as it is public. :-/

You might find this article interesting:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bengaluru/SMS-for-solar-energy-then-own-your-panels/articleshow/11658598.cms:

A Gujarati family landed in Basaveshwaranagar... could not access electricity because they couldn't [b]provide a clear identity proof[/b]. Today, this family runs a successful... business, and they have... solar panels...

…ThoughtWorks and Simpa Networks brought the idea of bringing solar power close to the people: deposit Rs 1,000 and then start accessing power by sending SMS through pre-paid mode… The consumer gets free power supply and pays only for the equipment.

About the example mhps posted, how would that directly help Peercoin? As far as I understand, that would be a separate Peershares instance without the PPC dividends. I think it would only help if the points/assets were managed on the Peercoin blockchain itself, rather than something separate.

This reminds me of something I read in chat a couple days ago about light bulbs minting Peercoins. With 21 planning on installing mining chips in devices, Peercoin could become the inexpensive option by inserting Peerbox software into devices, which would require much less power consumption to mint.

It’s the thought-tree my friendly sarcasm was suggesting, as @mhps suggested the main space we are focused on. I’ll give you a hint…

…think modular solutions. Blocks is an excellent example. Now, if any progress for standardized components falls under process. Another example: IEEE

Again, it’s the dedicated vision and development of the Peercoin community which sparked mine (personally) and our (professionally) interest.

The reason I mentioned peershares instead of peercoin is that consumer products demand fast delivery of rich features such as quick confirmation at charge station, micropayments, modified difficulty, colored coin, even different tx structure that IDs program partners… it’s hard to imagine devs and the community will allow these to happen peercoin.

If a peershares implementation is made with all above features, I think due to license terms (can someone confirm?), the changes paid by big companies will be in public and useful features (and bug fixes) could be merged to the peershares template and even to peercoin itself. The company might pay peercoin/peershare devs to do development works, train other devs in the team, helping to increase peercoin developer base.

Of course there is the huge PR benefit.

Oops if Tesla opereated like Job’s Apple, anything like what I wrote would be thrown off the table as it is public. :-/[/quote]
Thankfully, we’re currently not dealing with Jobs (RIP) or Apple.

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:51, topic:3530”]About the example mhps posted, how would that directly help Peercoin? As far as I understand, that would be a separate Peershares instance without the PPC dividends. I think it would only help if the points/assets were managed on the Peercoin blockchain itself, rather than something separate.

This reminds me of something I read in chat a couple days ago about light bulbs minting Peercoins. With 21 planning on installing mining chips in devices, Peercoin could become the inexpensive option by inserting Peerbox software into devices, which would require much less power consumption to mint.[/quote]
This is something we’ve discussed and have looked at certain instances where the next generation ASIC chips (16nm 3D) will assist with this. And if our predictions are correct for this next release, we will see power-consumption concerns accommodate the network, not the other way around; as I don’t see any sustainable energy integrations (device embedded) in the near future.

[quote=“arbitrageur, post:44, topic:3530”]interesting discussion although OT, so I’ll get back to the point with another question:

is Tesla going to make an investment in PPC eventually? cause as far as I’m concerned the best marketing is price and PPC price has been stagnating for quite a while with people losing interest. Now I believe that in order to relaunch this coin and give it a chance to seriously compete with bitcoin as the main POS alternative, an investment of at least 1m dollar is required. For a company like TESLA it’s peanuts, but I wonder whether they may even consider such a thing. 1$m investment would easily push the price above 0.002 btc and jump start a new bull market on ppc.[/quote]
I want to answer most of your questions, but due to an existing Agreement, I am unable to at this time. Please respect this.

On the contrary, I promised you that I would be fair to you. So please allow me to do something I don’t normally do… answer a question with a question:

Do you want to see Tesla invest in the Peercoin Foundation/Platform?

If so, who would you like to see facilitate with?

At what level would you like to see Tesla’s engagement withing the Peercoin Community?

If you could pick an ideal time for this to happen, when would you like to see it materialize?

With regard to the official announcement, when would you like to see this happen?

And last but not least… how would you like to see the future partnership between Tesla and Peercoin evolve for the better of the community?

Thank you in advance.

[quote=“Alloy, post:56, topic:3530”][quote=“arbitrageur, post:44, topic:3530”]interesting discussion although OT, so I’ll get back to the point with another question:

is Tesla going to make an investment in PPC eventually? cause as far as I’m concerned the best marketing is price and PPC price has been stagnating for quite a while with people losing interest. Now I believe that in order to relaunch this coin and give it a chance to seriously compete with bitcoin as the main POS alternative, an investment of at least 1m dollar is required. For a company like TESLA it’s peanuts, but I wonder whether they may even consider such a thing. 1$m investment would easily push the price above 0.002 btc and jump start a new bull market on ppc.[/quote]
I want to answer most of your questions, but due to an existing Agreement, I am unable to at this time. Please respect this.

On the contrary, I promised you that I would be fair to you. So please allow me to do something I don’t normally do… answer a question with a question:

Do you want to see Tesla invest in the Peercoin Foundation/Platform?

If so, who would you like to see facilitate with?

At what level would you like to see Tesla’s engagement withing the Peercoin Community?

If you could pick an ideal time for this to happen, when would you like to see it materialize?

With regard to the official announcement, when would you like to see this happen?

And last but not least… how would you like to see the future partnership between Tesla and Peercoin evolve for the better of the community?

Thank you in advance.[/quote]

I’m coming into this a bit late but I would like to state my opinion. First of all, I really don’t care about the price at the moment. All I care about is the utility and Peercoin has plenty of potential in that area.
I’m not a huge holder. I’ve been steadily increasing my hold since I’ve heard of Peercoin but I stray away from time to time. About every 6 months, I rediscover Peercoin and am amazed by it’s potential.
I honestly believe Peercoin has one of the best chance to be the most decentralized cryptocurrency. If somehow Bitcoin would have failed in the (very) early days, I feel Peercoin would have been the next logical choice. It’s efficient and arguably fixes the centralization tendencies of Bitcoin. It still has more room for development and I hope to see more in the upcoming years.
Enough preaching.

Alloy, I wouldn’t want to see a direct investment. Other than possibly creating development funds for Sunny King and Sigmike. We need them focused on Peercoin. There would be no reason to market Peercoin itself though. Tesla would be marketing it without ever needing to say much about it since they would be using it. Devs of projects are the only people we need to market to. Remember, cryptocurrencies can be used as commodities but they are protocols. Only their usage matters and it will be the only thing that can bring them true value.

I would like to see companies using a form of Peerbox in their hardware. 21 Inc. is laughable to me because the next logical step for Peerbox completely out-competes them. Why put an expensive ASIC to mine Bitcoins instead of using a cheap single board computer with some Peercoins and mint. It’s more energy efficient and you’ll certainly get more “tokens”.
We could have thousands of nodes that are minting for a much lower cost and providing the same service.

I would like to see a finished product before announcing. Something like, “Hey, with this new software patch we will be introducing ‘Green Stars’. With Green Stars, you can etc. etc. and will be generated on your Tesla vehicle and Powerwall. This is secured on a blockchain technology similar to Bitcoin but is much more energy-efficient.” You could say Peercoin, you could not. I really don’t care. I just want to see Peercoin being used. The word will get out either way and honestly, the general public won’t care which coin it is. They will just know that it is more energy efficient and that is what matters.

Tesla’s engagement can be however they want. This is all open source software and I believe we all generally have the same goals, so lets do it!

I think Peercoin should be mentioned in any marketing, because network effects are needed to help establish peercoins as a store of value. I’m personally against an official Bitcoin like foundation because it centralizes power and I would much rather have several Peercoin non-profit associations that share and help each other out when they can. No member fees. Instead capital can be raised in a peer4commit like way.

Voting etc
A separate blockchain that is secured by Peercoin could be created. This blockchain could then be used for voting and other stuff that requires storing data in a distributed way, that would be beneficial to the Peercoin network. Token on this chain wouldn’t necessarily be worth anything at all, instead it would be a 100% data chain and fully secured by peercoins minting on it. People would help secure it because it costs them little and would be of great benefit to the community and their own investment.

We don’t have a Foundation. When you say platform, do you mean the blockchain itself, and its various developments/applications? The prospect of outside investment is exciting - but I think Peercoin developers may also enjoy their independence, so there would need to be an exchange of views on whether Telsa wants control/influence, etc., or whether it wants to co-operate in the fluid way that we usually operate (i.e. open source)

I guess that would be Sunny himself, or Sigmike, in the first instance. There are various initiatives (e.g. Peerbox) which are pursued by other individuals (e.g. Peerchemist) so I guess direct contact with them, as well

Non-technical people also contribute to the Peercoin ecosystem, so general transparency is desirable (see next answer)

Announcements in this forum, via a dedicated thread. Possibly an occasional online chat, similar to the ones Sentinel arranges with Sunny. It would be good for someone from Tesla to visit and introduce themselves. It would be good to see a reference to Peercoin on the Tesla website

Engagement should happen as soon as possible. But it depends on what yourself and Telsa have in mind, and how solid your plans are, and what Peercoin’s developers think, etc.

As soon as there is something concrete to announce. It would be nice for the Community here to have a heads up, so we feel involved, or contribute in some way

Ultimately, the good of the community rests on the good of Peercoin. I think I can safely speak for everyone when saying we want to see Peercoin break out of crypto-related circles, and launch into real world applications

Most of us have bought Peercoin, so naturally want it to become successful for financial reasons. But we also believe in Satoshi’s vision of a decentralised/trustless society, and regard that Peercoin is the best, most flexible and secure blockchain out there to achieve that. Peercoin should be identified in any Telsa initiative

Alloy, I don’t believe it’s healthy for our community to focus so much attention on something like this unless we know there is something to it, which is why I’ve posted reminders on our Twitter and Facebook that this is so far only a rumor.

What I would love to see is the official @TeslaMotors Twitter account tweet a shoutout to the Peercoin community. The tweet wouldn’t need to reveal anything that is being worked on. It would simply need to be a message containing the word Peercoin in it so we all have some assurance here that this is real. I don’t feel comfortable posting anymore about it on social media until I see something from an official source, but non-revealing like this. Is this something that could possibly be arranged?