Roll your own DAC?

How about a peershares utility to roll your own DAC?

Asks for a few variables, press a button, and boom, peershares chain ready to go.

Of course it wouldn’t be able to handle anything you could dream up, but a few basic template installations, and of course the utility could be revised and upgraded from there…

I personally only know how to make this happen conceptually, but we need to be able to get peershares out there to some average people. Right now, you don’t necessarily have to be a C++ dev to get a basic install up, but it is pretty daunting.

We’ve had Peershares sitting around almost all year and it’s really great that the Nubits team ran with it and helped make it what it is today, but even Sunny is looking for other implementations of it. We are letting one of our best assets sit there unnoticed and unused. Nubits is a great example of it in action, but unfortunately Nubits is pretty controversial and people don’t see Peershares under it unless they really look.

I would get behind this with some Peercoin to help make it happen, who’s with me?

teek

I’ve got 2000 peercoin to add to an tool implementation like the one Teek describes.

Well that’s an incentive for sure.

With regards to a DAC, I often hear this term loosely thrown around in crypto, so we should be specific about some example DACS.

I’m familiar with what Bitshares thinks a DAC is, and NXT’s Asset Exchange for tradeable virtual assets.

Or is this more of an ethereum style DAC with programmable code that defines the DAC automagically?

One question I’m unsure of is if Peershares is designed to have an Asset Exchange like NXT has, or does it? I’m still learning about it all.

Edit (2 minutes later)

NuShares is considered a DAC that fulfilled a purpose of creating Nubits. It used the Peershares infrastructure and modified the code for it’s own purpose of making it’s own DAC using the same library routines for Peershares, etc.

This was a roll-your-own-DAC-the-hard-way, which was made easier by the fact that the same people that worked on Peershares also produced NuShares.

So to clarify, we’re looking for a plug-and-play type option, where all you do is fill out the DAC details into a DAC creator tool from Peershares. This tool will automatically produces a tradeable DAC, with it’s own wallet (I’m guessing) which is makes its own virtual Asset for shares.

Ben, you have a solid understanding of this stuff more than I do, am I on the right track, and is there a better way to explain it?

Go for it! I think years from now what peershares will have enabled would dawf its first application (Nu) by a long shot. The only thing about current peershares I am not totally sure about is that every application has to get its own network running smoothly by the application community itself, it seems. Will a couple of nodes do it? Can a few peersharesbox do it?

Can many applications pool their nodes? This doesn’t have to involve protocol change on the peercoin side, although I vaguely think sidechain will solve the problem in some elegant way. Before sideschains come online, if peershares allow several startups to share networkd infrastructure it would greatly lower the entry steps for adopters.

You can launch a Peershares network with two nodes. There are no multiple blockchain implementations at this point because the system was designed to be as distributed possible.

Can many applications pool their nodes? This doesn't have to involve protocol change on the peercoin side, although I vaguely think sidechain will solve the problem in some elegant way. Before sideschains come online, if peershares allow several startups to share networkd infrastructure it would greatly lower the entry steps for adopters.

I really hope this is true. Has there been anything other than Sunny King’s comment about going down that path?

Not that I remember.

Anyway, to take matter in our own hands …
To make securing the network easier, it would be good if the startup company can directly pay to have more minters minting for it. This is an idea:

Create minters who are not shareholders, but minter-for-profit. Peershares minting rewards are not only given in shares, as it does now, but also in a minting credit, which has a low difficulty. Everyone who looks for a block can get one easily. Every month the company distribute minting reward in PPC according to minting credit, in exactly the same way it distributes dividends.

I second @teek project - I am excited about it

That may explain the recent Sunny King declaration about working with the peershares team: peershares + sidechains = perfect match?

I am interested in the project, is there any further explanation ?

The lead dev of peershares is Jordan Lee so you should contact him to join in the team. Of course you could also commit to the github repo w/o becoming a team member. Most of the peershares team members are busy with nubits.

That may explain the recent Sunny King declaration about working with the peershares team: peershares + sidechains = perfect match?[/quote]

I am not aware of any in-progress collaborations between the Peershares team and Sunny King.

While unlikely, it is possible there may be other conversations that I’m not aware of, but until you see an affirmative from Jordan Lee, SigMike, or Sunny King directly, be skeptical of any rumors describing collaborative sidechain development.

That may explain the recent Sunny King declaration about working with the peershares team: peershares + sidechains = perfect match?[/quote]

I am not aware of any in-progress collaborations between the Peershares team and Sunny King.

While unlikely, it is possible there may be other conversations that I’m not aware of, but until you see an affirmative from Jordan Lee, SigMike, or Sunny King directly, be skeptical of any rumors describing collaborative sidechain development.[/quote]
No collaboration indeed, but SK describes in the 3rd bullet that he is looking into Peershares: Cryptoblog - notícias sobre bitcoin e criptomoedas!. That is a good start I would say.

I have been thinking about this for a while now. Already developed some prototypes. I am looking for someone who would take care of design/marketing.

Anyone here interested?

[quote=“ttutdxh, post:14, topic:3187”]I have been thinking about this for a while now. Already developed some prototypes. I am looking for someone who would take care of design/marketing.

Anyone here interested?[/quote]

me is

In general, there is http://peershares.net and the open source repository: GitHub - Peershares/Peershares: Peershares Template
Looking for anything specific?

I posted this in the chatbox, and thought i would drop here to show you what I am working on. Very much work in progress not up and running yet but suggestions etc all welcome

http://dac.peercointalk.org/

Fuzzybear

[quote=“FuzzyBear, post:17, topic:3187”]I posted this in the chatbox, and thought i would drop here to show you what I am working on. Very much work in progress not up and running yet but suggestions etc all welcome

Fuzzybear[/quote]

I think many of us waited for a software like this for a long time!
Compiling Peershares with your own chain is quite time expensive, so keep up the good work!!

[quote=“FuzzyBear, post:17, topic:3187”]I posted this in the chatbox, and thought i would drop here to show you what I am working on. Very much work in progress not up and running yet but suggestions etc all welcome

Fuzzybear[/quote]

Awesome!!

couple suggestions from me:

hard settable fee amount
a toggle for fee destroyed / re-distributed

these would be useful in certain cases, ie: the peershares chain units represent a piece of / are pegged too units of an overall larger ledger (ie: think each share = a share of GOOG)

[quote=“teek, post:19, topic:3187”][quote=“FuzzyBear, post:17, topic:3187”]I posted this in the chatbox, and thought i would drop here to show you what I am working on. Very much work in progress not up and running yet but suggestions etc all welcome

Fuzzybear[/quote]

Awesome!!

couple suggestions from me:

hard settable fee amount
a toggle for fee destroyed / re-distributed

these would be useful in certain cases, ie: the peershares chain units represent a piece of / are pegged too units of an overall larger ledger (ie: think each share = a share of GOOG)[/quote]

Ok cool i’ll look to get the parameters sorted and these will def be in there.

I have made a peer4commit project to raise funds for this development here http://peer4commit.com/projects/147

Any donations will greatly speed up the development process as I will foccus on this if enough funds are raised, I have some code that does something similar but I will need to spend time porting it to peershares and setting up the output of the custom DAC.

Fuzzybear