This file has been truncated. show original
# Unspendable Zero Outputs
- Status: proposed
- Type: bugfix (memory leak)
- Related components: `protocol`
- Start Date: 20-November-2017
- Discussion: (fill me in with link to RFC discussion - shepherd will complete this)
- Supersedes: (fill me in with a link to RFC this supersedes - if applicable)
- Superseded by: (fill me in with a link to RFC this is superseded by - if applicable)
- Author: hrobeers
Peercoin requires outputs to have a value of at least 0.01 PPC.
It's unclear to the author why this value has been chosen, but it seems a reasonable dust prevention measure.
However, there is one exception to this rule, 0 PPC outputs are allowed.
Such zero-value outputs can have some useful applications laid out below, but an unfortunate side-effect is that they take up memory in the node's UTXO table forever, increasing it's memory usage.
This RFC proposes a solution that fixes this memory leak without changing the rules for output values.