PPC balance incorrect

Have you identified any suspicious transactions related to your address?

And it definitely looks like you sent some funds to this address (change address) as clearly shown here:

Check the wallet.dat file you were using in september 2014, it looks like you are minting with this address (latest july 2).

Anyway, coins don’t disappear from the blockchain, so unless someone stole them with your private keys, they are still there.

This link may be helpful for you:

[quote=“mably, post:21, topic:3579”]Have you identified any suspicious transactions related to your address?

And it definitely looks like you sent some funds to this address (change address) as clearly shown here:

Check the wallet.dat file you were using in september 2014, it looks like you are minting with this address (latest july 2).

Anyway, coins don’t disappear from the blockchain, so unless someone stole them with your private keys, they are still there.[/quote]

Maybe that was the address of an exchange. How can you be sure i am in control of that address?

Anyway i don’t have the private key of that address i only have the private key of PCNc1nPveSv2q2sJ27jvdxSZcSVbxfxEHE and i still can’t understand why the wallet was including the balance of that address in my total balance.

[quote=“LeChatNoir, post:23, topic:3579”][quote=“mably, post:21, topic:3579”]Have you identified any suspicious transactions related to your address?

Anyway, coins don’t disappear from the blockchain, so unless someone stole them with your private keys, they are still there.[/quote]

Maybe that was the address of an exchange. How can you be sure i am in control of that address?

Anyway i don’t have the private key of that address i only have the private key of PCNc1nPveSv2q2sJ27jvdxSZcSVbxfxEHE and i still can’t understand why the wallet was including the balance of that address in my total balance.[/quote]

It could be a possibility for sure, but it would be surprising for an exchange to mint with such an address. Anyway this transaction is probably too old and not related to your problem. It’s just the balance that got us confused I guess.

I give up.
Thank you everybody for helping me.

[member=31886]LeChatNoir[/member] , have you recently created a new wallet where you imported the private key for your PCNc1nPveSv2q2sJ27jvdxSZcSVbxfxEHE address?

If you did, that could explain why you don’t see all the coins that where in the change addresses of your previous wallet (change addresses are not listed in the table of the ‘receive coins’ tab; and the PGLcwUa4dT9aaW9UPTTF3SSNFNDSyGUvrx address of transaction cb5ea4d6727c436d367037fe963d8c67889a97fb340217766cc245077c06e41e really looks like a change address).

Ok i succesfully recovered the PGLcwUa4dT9aaW9UPTTF3SSNFNDSyGUvrx private key and my balance is correct now.
TY again.

[quote=“LeChatNoir, post:27, topic:3579”]Ok i succesfully recovered the PGLcwUa4dT9aaW9UPTTF3SSNFNDSyGUvrx private key and my balance is correct now.
TY again.[/quote]

If it was a change address issue you could have seen the address with coincontrol, and used “validateaddress ADDRESS” in the command window to check if you own the address.

[quote=“LeChatNoir, post:27, topic:3579”]Ok i succesfully recovered the PGLcwUa4dT9aaW9UPTTF3SSNFNDSyGUvrx private key and my balance is correct now.
TY again.[/quote]

That’s great. So there’s no problem with the wallet displaying the balance, correct?

The active development is a concern of mine. I don’t understand why Sunny King doesn’t express any desire to expand the number of developers working on the protocol. A team under his management is what I personally want, but he continues to work alone with almost no word on what is happening behind the scenes. He hasn’t forgot about cold minting, that much I know from an email conversation with him, but it seems to have been pushed back to v0.6 due to the upcoming v0.5 intermediary release. More developers would help our pace, but we would need to communicate that to Sunny and find out how it can happen.

Edit: Also, removing checkpoints should not be done until we can increase minting participation, which is why we need cold minting implemented.

I always import private key and use PCNc1nPveSv2q2sJ27jvdxSZcSVbxfxEHE in my wallet.

Last year i mistakenly sent 5000 ppc to PGLcwUa4dT9aaW9UPTTF3SSNFNDSyGUvrx which was the other address created by default when you launch peercoin software the first time.

I didn’t realize that until now because the balance of both addresses was summed up in the wallet’s main window and for all the time i’ve been thinking the entire balance was belonged to PCNc1nPveSv2q2sJ27jvdxSZcSVbxfxEHE.

One week ago i made a 80k ppc transaction and something went wrong, i received an error message that i was trying to spend some outputs that were not mine, i cannot remember exactly what the issue was but the 80k have been taken from my balance while the transaction was not succesfull.

I think the software was trying to spend some of the coins in PGLcwUa4dT9aaW9UPTTF3SSNFNDSyGUvrx, but even if its balance was still considered in the total wallet balance that address somehow was not visible in the receive coin window anymore and that caused the error i guess.

After that i decided to delete the entire blockchain and the wallet, i reimported the PCNc1nPveSv2q2sJ27jvdxSZcSVbxfxEHE private key only and when the blockchain finished to download i was obviously missing those 3600 ppc from PGLcwUa4dT9aaW9UPTTF3SSNFNDSyGUvrx address which i didn’t reimport.

I got lucky the old wallet was still in my recycle bin so today i was able to recover PGLcwUa4dT9aaW9UPTTF3SSNFNDSyGUvrx private key.

Never delete wallets. Always use coincontrol when sending in an important transaction.

Sunny is sitting there, watching, thinking and coding!

Yah, just don’t ever delete a wallet. They take up a paltry amount of space, there’s no reason to outright delete it. Rename it and drop it in a backup folder somewhere.

A year ago I thought I had lost some btc (way less though), but after some time I found out that it was change that had been sent to a new address in my wallet. It’s explained here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Change . The same goes for ppc.

So if you send 5 ppc to another address, your client will look for an unspent input transaction to use. It might find a 100 ppc input transaction. 5 ppc is sent to the address, and 95 ppc is sent to a newly generated address inside your own wallet.dat. So be sure to backup your wallet.dat regularly!

[quote=“Tea42, post:34, topic:3579”]A year ago I thought I had lost some btc (way less though), but after some time I found out that it was change that had been sent to a new address in my wallet. It’s explained here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Change . The same goes for ppc.

So if you send 5 ppc to another address, your client will look for an unspent input transaction to use. It might find a 100 ppc input transaction. 5 ppc is sent to the address, and 95 ppc is sent to a newly generated address inside your own wallet.dat. So be sure to backup your wallet.dat regularly![/quote]

Oh wait.
You mean that if i have in my wallet 2 addresses, address A with 100 ppc and address B with 0 ppc, and i send 20 ppc from A to address C, i might get some ppc back in my B address so that A balance + B balance becomes 80 ppc with B balance > 0?

[quote=“LeChatNoir, post:35, topic:3579”][quote=“Tea42, post:34, topic:3579”]A year ago I thought I had lost some btc (way less though), but after some time I found out that it was change that had been sent to a new address in my wallet. It’s explained here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Change . The same goes for ppc.

So if you send 5 ppc to another address, your client will look for an unspent input transaction to use. It might find a 100 ppc input transaction. 5 ppc is sent to the address, and 95 ppc is sent to a newly generated address inside your own wallet.dat. So be sure to backup your wallet.dat regularly![/quote]

Oh wait.
You mean that if i have in my wallet 2 addresses, address A with 100 ppc and address B with 0 ppc, and i send 20 ppc from A to address C, i might get some ppc back in my B address so that A balance + B balance becomes 80 ppc with B balance > 0?[/quote]

Yes, in both btc and ppc your wallet.dat when initially loaded will generate 100 addresses to use. You may use address A to receive all coins from exchange say, but when u send your 100 ppc as example from this address I would expect you to have 0 ppc of that transaction left in address A and to have 80 ppc sent to the address B or your change address.

Thus if u import a private key into a wallet, make a transaction or two, I would advise you backup the wallet.dat file at this point to ensure you do jot loose your change.

Fuzzybear

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

I’ve always used one address with my btc electrum, ltc electrum and ppc core wallet, both for sending and receiving and after a transaction i’ve never noticed random amount of coins being sent back to another change address randomly generated by the wallet.
And why isn’t address A used also as change address?
Is all this confusion really necessary?

Is the following transaction a valid example of this mechanism?
http://ppc.blockr.io/tx/info/cb5ea4d6727c436d367037fe963d8c67889a97fb340217766cc245077c06e41e

I was trying to send 5000 ppc from PCNc1nPveSv2q2sJ27jvdxSZcSVbxfxEHE (my wallet) to P8fopVfvUryXnUSm4L4vhj6kA1Lkkd3R1Q (btce).
10000 ppc were taken from PCNc1nPveSv2q2sJ27jvdxSZcSVbxfxEHE (my wallet), 5000 sent to P8fopVfvUryXnUSm4L4vhj6kA1Lkkd3R1Q (btce) and 5000 to PGLcwUa4dT9aaW9UPTTF3SSNFNDSyGUvrx (change address)?

I was feeling safe owning PCNc1nPveSv2q2sJ27jvdxSZcSVbxfxEHE (my wallet) private key only and i was about to lose 3600 ppc because of this trick I can’t believe this shit!

[quote=“LeChatNoir, post:37, topic:3579”]And why isn’t address A used also as change address?
Is all this confusion really necessary?[/quote]

I think the idea is to increase privacy:

You can use a Bitcoin client like Bitcoin Core that makes it difficult to track your transactions by creating a new change address each time you send a payment. For example, if you receive 5 BTC on address A, and you later send 2 BTC to address B, the remaining change must be sent back to you. Some Bitcoin clients are designed to send the change to a new address C in such a way that it becomes difficult to know if you own Bitcoin address B or C.

It is definitely confusing though, I have no idea why the default GUI doesn’t show you what addresses you own unless you are familiar with coin control. It would be nice to have Peerunity lead the way in making cryptocurrency easier to use; maybe something like a quick-glance status section of the wallet would be possible that shows you which addresses have a balance, as well as whether you are currently a full node, have minting enabled etc.

Only on mobile at moment so can’t look too deeply but yes everything u saying about that ppc transaction sounds like the change address being used.

As I said it does it in btc to as I had about 10btc go missing from one address but were in another address linked in the wallet.dat

Reasons why this change address is used… I believe it is to protect the user and give them annominity on the network, if all coins were sent back to the same address then it becomes much easier to track activities of a user by the single address.

There are many articles and posts I have read where the recommendation is to generate a new address for each new recipient of coins, some say each new transaction. Not only does this make u harder to identify (as a whale with lots in one address) but also spreads your risk should that master private key ever get compromised. Each time u import the private key into new wallets to make a transaction you risk a keylogger or other malicious software stealing your single private key.

Fuzzybear

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Does Peercoin support avatar mode?

(Input address = Change address)