Peershares - 1st public alpha test release for Windows and Linux

it would be great to have a qt-client with an [b]IPO button[/b] that also manages MANY shares types. This is the sort of use case that some of the color coin wallets have captured. Most likely this client would be used by investors who speculate and hold a diversified portfolio of different share types.

That’s in the plans, for sure, but the decision was made early on to make sure the protocol worked correctly, before attacking the problem of configuring the wallet to handle multiple Peershares block chains at once.

I am a C++ developer so it is possible for me to get involved at that level.

If you are interested in getting involved, I recommend sending Jordan Lee a note via Bitmessage (his address is BM-2cXS5ezep1jUqeu8CwC6M4aTmMSxcFEHNN).

[quote=“Ben, post:41, topic:2248”]

it would be great to have a qt-client with an IPO button that also manages MANY shares types. This is the sort of use case that some of the color coin wallets have captured. Most likely this client would be used by investors who speculate and hold a diversified portfolio of different share types.

That’s in the plans, for sure, but the decision was made early on to make sure the protocol worked correctly, before attacking the problem of configuring the wallet to handle multiple Peershares block chains at once.[/quote]

great!

sounds like a good tactic. :slight_smile:

-jmz

E5uswXijDLRDu6bokgq2UyWbjCNxCunzaL

Well Done!

I cannot believe how fast you are moving on the development of this project.

There are so many applications for this project and I’m glad I came across it an could provide some testing.

I’ll send a bitmessage to Jordan as well.

Cheers and Bravo!!

Status: 1/unconfirmed Date: 21/04/2014 19:00 From: unknown To: E5uswXijDLRDu6bokgq2UyWbjCNxCunzaL (yours, label: testnet default address) Credit: 10.00 shares Net amount: +10.00 shares Transaction ID: 161c452c2608d3bc404dc061aa3fdffaf1033ec947d864c5f5dab73034280538

Peercoin client is just syncing on testnet and then I’ll do the export keys bit :slight_smile:

awesome awesome.

edit: Peercoin is setup on the testnet and peershare exported the key to it fine. I’ll post when I receive dividends to the address.

E7FepE3Qf9AryKhyFiR7cwb5AQyumC3W98 :-* :-* :-*

Impressive how things move forward!
I have downloaded Peershares and want to start playing with it.
My Peershares address is Dv2MaB3tPAqBhPHm45nTpMkDruNPny1NZs

And btw. - I had some trouble trying to let Peershares run with an alternative datadir on Win7 64 bit.
For portability reasons of my installations I prefer having the appdata directory together with the application.
That works great with Peercoin.
But trying to get Peershares started always creates an error message:
error

This is different from the error message that occured when first starting peershares-qt (because of the missing conf file…)
After having copied the peershares.conf to the appdata folder peershares-qt started and synced the testnet block chain.
I moved that appdata folder and adjusted the start sequence of peershares (“peershares-qt.exe -datadir=.\appdata -conf=.\peershares.conf -peercoinconf=…\PPCoin\appdata\ppcoin.conf”).
But peershares-qt is unable to start.
If I use the standard appdata folder everything is fine.
Am I just doing something wrong or can anybody reproduce this behaviour?

[edit]
It seems that the testnet block chain sync of Peercoin gets stuck at block 79663. Restarting Peercoin didn’t help.
[/edit]

[edit2]
Ok, after it was stuck for some time it went on. Syncing is very slow, but I’m at block 79917 already (where it seems to be stuck again…)
[/edit2]

ECk1864C74szU1HNNkw6CQPjD8RzgnFwxi Thanks!

Status: 87 confirmations Date: 22.04.2014 15:06 From: unknown To: Dt5qCXtGq5aQUKdgsWu5Ad7QqvRuuLChFe (yours) Credit: 10.00 shares Net amount: +10.00 shares Transaction ID: ed9bf256a16e9c7f7ba0005d5daa4a7b0d0c328ed27864b4f0b7fc57ee6c9325

Everything seems to work fine!

irritant EDu3BFQeQ8cWMVkwdqerPsoTa3ZPZQx52X khitan E3k4eY6DWEuWQngmWkAXFu4zRvabKLC8vK rise P9pXKyzYFBNei44cqKuZXcSMibDahEvF2W kenny E38zQZ74pyGVgTN6D6TKEBH5YEipoNJEey mhps ECv3ec3PzpMaB7XWgB2tcbngy78AQMuzrs RobertLloyd DxYZWkkn4284ZXaMn9eyAB7s3jTZWPsNd6 Sebsebzen EAYutndTHVDVyk4qywgHT4fh66eiVpP8zj drduke Dt5qCXtGq5aQUKdgsWu5Ad7QqvRuuLChFe jmzeidner E9TGHTtCH5MfNtfx6AYg7pE7Gsv1JZLzRQ JohnnyCryptoCoin E5uswXijDLRDu6bokgq2UyWbjCNxCunzaL jacksonhuangaimeliz E7FepE3Qf9AryKhyFiR7cwb5AQyumC3W98 masterOfDisaster Dv2MaB3tPAqBhPHm45nTpMkDruNPny1NZs andricor ECk1864C74szU1HNNkw6CQPjD8RzgnFwxi

Current list of testers and their Peershares addresses.

Status: 0/unconfirmed, broadcast through 3 nodes Date: 22/04/2014 13:03 To: Sebsebzen EAYutndTHVDVyk4qywgHT4fh66eiVpP8zj Debit: -0.25 shares To: andricor ECk1864C74szU1HNNkw6CQPjD8RzgnFwxi Debit: -0.25 shares To: drduke Dt5qCXtGq5aQUKdgsWu5Ad7QqvRuuLChFe Debit: -0.25 shares To: irritant EDu3BFQeQ8cWMVkwdqerPsoTa3ZPZQx52X Debit: -0.25 shares To: jacksonhuangaimeliz E7FepE3Qf9AryKhyFiR7cwb5AQyumC3W98 Debit: -0.25 shares To: jmzeidner E9TGHTtCH5MfNtfx6AYg7pE7Gsv1JZLzRQ Debit: -0.25 shares To: kenny E38zQZ74pyGVgTN6D6TKEBH5YEipoNJEey Debit: -0.25 shares To: khitan E3k4eY6DWEuWQngmWkAXFu4zRvabKLC8vK Debit: -0.25 shares To: masterOfDisaster Dv2MaB3tPAqBhPHm45nTpMkDruNPny1NZs Dv2MaB3tPAqBhPHm45nTpMkDruNPny1NZs Debit: -0.25 shares To: mhps ECv3ec3PzpMaB7XWgB2tcbngy78AQMuzrs Debit: -0.25 shares To: RobertLloyd DxYZWkkn4284ZXaMn9eyAB7s3jTZWPsNd6 Debit: -0.25 shares Transaction fee: -0.01 shares Net amount: -2.76 shares Transaction ID: 5803908d55aef870a65a0eed4da651d04402d43683ca22455ed79e1501ef890f

I sent all 11 testers 0.25, and costing 0 .01 shares for going over the tx limit but not sure what the limit is.

I noticed we can’t set a tx fee either, assuming that is on purpose.

Check your clients and let’s start sending shares around the network.

@Devs:

What type of testing do you want right now and any guides for them? (i.e. double spend attacks stuff like that)

Cheers!

What type of testing do you want right now and any guides for them? (i.e. double spend attacks stuff like that)

If you can devise a double-spend attack (or any other vector, for that matter), go ahead and give it a try. If it’s successful, I’d like to ask that you send us a note first, so we can validate what you are seeing, before announcing it publicly. This is not to “sweep it under the rug,” but rather, so we can confirm that it is/was a problem, and notify any other development teams that may have a similar vulnerability – I’d rather not have there be a rush to judgement about the security or stability of Peershares based on an incomplete or off-hand comment.

Should the possibility of an attack be legitimate, the details of such, and the steps we’ll take (or, took) to close the vector will be made public.

Sooo not qualified for that haha, cool :slight_smile:

The testing you are looking for is more end user testing of the client/protocol rather than the underlying architecture.

I’ll leave security to the experts on that.

Cheers

The testing you are looking for is more end user testing of the client/protocol rather than the underlying architecture.

Yup :slight_smile: We’re looking to see if we missed anything (labels, graphics, functionality, controls, etc.), or if during standard usage you’re able to break something. Also, any feedback about how the client works, including areas, functions, or workflows that you think need to be refined is very helpful.

[quote=“Ben, post:53, topic:2248”]

Yup :slight_smile: We’re looking to see if we missed anything (labels, graphics, functionality, controls, etc.), or if during standard usage you’re able to break something. Also, any feedback about how the client works, including areas, functions, or workflows that you think need to be refined is very helpful.[/quote]

so I just received 0.25 shares unexpectedly.

was this a dividend? if so the client does not make that clear.

great job guys. -jmz

[quote=“jmzeidner, post:54, topic:2248”][quote=“Ben, post:53, topic:2248”]

Yup :slight_smile: We’re looking to see if we missed anything (labels, graphics, functionality, controls, etc.), or if during standard usage you’re able to break something. Also, any feedback about how the client works, including areas, functions, or workflows that you think need to be refined is very helpful.[/quote]

great job guys. -jmz[/quote]

to me it is clear: the dividends are received in your peerunity client (not peershares), i guess it was to test sending partial shares (0.25), have received them too

[quote=“irritant, post:55, topic:2248”][quote=“jmzeidner, post:54, topic:2248”][quote=“Ben, post:53, topic:2248”]

to me it is clear: the dividends are received in your peercoin client (not peershares), i guess it was to test sending partial shares (0.25), have received them too[/quote]

ah ok, so this won’t really be much of a chore in PeerUnity because the wallets are consolidated… -jmz

[quote=“Ben, post:53, topic:2248”]

1. In the console window, the command “getpeercoinaddress” perhaps should be “getpeershareaddress”. It gives both peershareaddress and the dividend peercoinaddress.

2. I haven’t found a way to get a complete list of command line options of peershares. “peershares-qt -?” will trigger an error message with command line help but the window is truncated by screen size.

3. Is it possible to make -debug work for peershares-qt?

[quote=“JohnnyCryptoCoin, post:50, topic:2248”]Status: 0/unconfirmed, broadcast through 3 nodes Date: 22/04/2014 13:03 To: Sebsebzen EAYutndTHVDVyk4qywgHT4fh66eiVpP8zj Debit: -0.25 shares To: andricor ECk1864C74szU1HNNkw6CQPjD8RzgnFwxi Debit: -0.25 shares To: drduke Dt5qCXtGq5aQUKdgsWu5Ad7QqvRuuLChFe Debit: -0.25 shares To: irritant EDu3BFQeQ8cWMVkwdqerPsoTa3ZPZQx52X Debit: -0.25 shares To: jacksonhuangaimeliz E7FepE3Qf9AryKhyFiR7cwb5AQyumC3W98 Debit: -0.25 shares To: jmzeidner E9TGHTtCH5MfNtfx6AYg7pE7Gsv1JZLzRQ Debit: -0.25 shares To: kenny E38zQZ74pyGVgTN6D6TKEBH5YEipoNJEey Debit: -0.25 shares To: khitan E3k4eY6DWEuWQngmWkAXFu4zRvabKLC8vK Debit: -0.25 shares To: masterOfDisaster Dv2MaB3tPAqBhPHm45nTpMkDruNPny1NZs Dv2MaB3tPAqBhPHm45nTpMkDruNPny1NZs Debit: -0.25 shares To: mhps ECv3ec3PzpMaB7XWgB2tcbngy78AQMuzrs Debit: -0.25 shares To: RobertLloyd DxYZWkkn4284ZXaMn9eyAB7s3jTZWPsNd6 Debit: -0.25 shares Transaction fee: -0.01 shares Net amount: -2.76 shares Transaction ID: 5803908d55aef870a65a0eed4da651d04402d43683ca22455ed79e1501ef890f

I sent all 11 testers 0.25, and costing 0 .01 shares for going over the tx limit but not sure what the limit is.

I noticed we can’t set a tx fee either, assuming that is on purpose.

Check your clients and let’s start sending shares around the network.

@Devs:

Cheers![/quote]

That was ME!!!

I sent all 11 people that posted addresses 0.25 Peershare to test having 11 inputs in a single transaction. It trigger the cost threshold of 0.01 peershares to send it. Part of what they need us doing is using the network to send shares back and forth and test the basic functionality.

Dividends are received, and paid in, Peercoin. That is why you need to import the Peercoin address into your PPC wallet.

I posted a link to my google doc in the Peershare testing subforum ( https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/13MuKDXQkkVQ1gr7h1JETjDP1btSnU-H2f06r9XwfArQ/edit?usp=sharing )

Send me a BitMessage (it’s direct easy to use, I store the binary in my Google drive folder and run it from there but it can be stored on a USB key as well), I’m loving it…so spam free :slight_smile:

peersharesd.exe /? >> peershares.txt

[code]Peershares version v0.1.0.0-unk-beta

Usage:
peersharesd [options]
peersharesd [options] [params] Send command to -server or peershare
sd
peersharesd [options] help List commands
peersharesd [options] help Get help for a command
Options:
-conf= Specify configuration file (default: peersharesd.conf)
-pid= Specify pid file (default: peersharesd.pid)
-gen Generate coins
-gen=0 Don’t generate coins
-min Start minimized
-splash Show splash screen on startup (default: 1)
-datadir= Specify data directory
-dbcache= Set database cache size in megabytes (default: 25)
-dblogsize= Set database disk log size in megabytes (default: 100)
-timeout= Specify connection timeout (in milliseconds)
-proxy=ip:port Connect through socks4 proxy
-dns Allow DNS lookups for addnode and connect
-port= Listen for connections on (default: 9901 or testnet: 47891)
-maxconnections= Maintain at most connections to peers (default: 125)
-addnode= Add a node to connect to and attempt to keep the connection open
-connect= Connect only to the specified node
-listen Accept connections from outside (default: 1)
-dnsseed Find peers using DNS lookup (default: 1)
-banscore= Threshold for disconnecting misbehaving peers (default: 100)
-bantime= Number of seconds to keep misbehaving peers from reconnecting (default: 86400)
-maxreceivebuffer= Maximum per-connection receive buffer, *1000 bytes (default: 10000)
-maxsendbuffer= Maximum per-connection send buffer, *1000 bytes (default: 10000)
-upnp Use Universal Plug and Play to map the listening port (default: 0)
-detachdb Detach block and address databases. Increases shutdown time(default: 0)
-paytxfee= Fee per KB to add to transactions you send
-testnet Use the test network
-debug Output extra debugging information
-logtimestamps Prepend debug output with timestamp
-printtoconsole Send trace/debug info to console instead of debug.log file
-printtodebugger Send trace/debug info to debugger
-rpcuser= Username for JSON-RPC connections
-rpcpassword= Password for JSON-RPC connections
-rpcport= Listen for JSON-RPC connections on (default: 47892)
-rpcallowip= Allow JSON-RPC connections from specified IP address
-rpcconnect= Send commands to node running on (default: 127.0.0.1)
-blocknotify= Execute command when the best block changes (%s in cmd is replaced by block hash)
-upgradewallet Upgrade wallet to latest format
-keypool= Set key pool size to (default: 100)
-rescan Rescan the block chain for missing wallet transactions
-checkblocks= How many blocks to check at startup (default: 2500, 0 = all)
-checklevel= How thorough the block verification is (0-6, default: 1)

SSL options: (see the Peershares Wiki for SSL setup instructions)
-rpcssl Use OpenSSL (https) for JSON-RPC connections
-rpcsslcertificatechainfile=<file.cert> Server certificate file (default: server.cert)
-rpcsslprivatekeyfile=<file.pem> Server private key (default: server.pem)
-rpcsslciphers= Acceptable ciphers (default: TLSv1+HIGH:!SSLv2:!aNULL:!eNULL:!AH:!3DES:@STRENGTH)
-? This help message[/code]

peersharesd.exe /? >> peershares.txt

funny enough that did NOT pipe it to a text file but to the console window itself, I copied and pasted it there.

cheers!

[quote=“jmzeidner, post:56, topic:2248”][quote=“irritant, post:55, topic:2248”][quote=“jmzeidner, post:54, topic:2248”][quote=“Ben, post:53, topic:2248”]

to me it is clear: the dividends are received in your peercoin client (not peershares), i guess it was to test sending partial shares (0.25), have received them too[/quote]

ah ok, so this won’t really be much of a chore in PeerUnity because the wallets are consolidated… -jmz[/quote]

I sent you another 0.24 of a share :slight_smile: