PeerMessage Beta

This weekend, I intend on opening up PeerMessage for private beta testing to our community.

Requirements:

• Must be a member in good standing of peercointalk / peercoin community
  • Must have a github account
  • Must know your way around a terminal / how to run a python script.
  • Must have Bitcoin Core 0.9.3 installed, and a few dollars in bitcoins.

What I hope to get from it:

• Bug reports
  • Feature / usability suggestions
  • Pull requests

If interested in joining the private beta test and if you meet the above requirements, please either post here (or pm me) your github username.

—Q&A—
What is Peermessage?
See here: http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=3773.0

In short, it’s a way of distributing encrypted messages via a blockchain, without bloating the blockchain, and with the receiver being anonymous.

How will this private beta work?
I’ll invite you to a private github repository. You’ll download the code, and execute the python script locally. This will launch the app.

Bitcoin Core? Why not Peercoin Core?
Peercoin Core will be merging in op_return from Bitcoin Core in v0.5 - which is not yet ready. For the purposes of this app, it can technically run on any blockchain that supports op_return - and so we’ll test it and iterate on it on the Bitcoin blockchain until Peercoin is ready.

If it’s open source, why a private beta?
I am pro-cryptocurrency. The cryptocurrency community needs to work together and not be so divisive. As a general rule, I’m of the opinion that developers should join an existing coin and improve its app ecosystem, rather than starting yet another new, cloned altcoin.

With that in mind, I chose Peercoin as the coin I’m going to build my apps on. I hope my apps get converted, and run on other altcoins as well (such as Nubits), but I will only develop and support them for Peercoin, and I want Peercoin to have first crack at them. That’s the purpose of this private beta.

If the beta is running on Bitcoin, how can you say Peercoin will get the first crack at this app?
It’s not realistic for your average joe to run this app on Bitcoin. A user has to have the full Bitcoin client, with the full 28gb blockchain, and run with txindex=1, which means they also must run a reindex which will take a couple days and use up more space on their harddrive. Unrealistic expectations for anything other than a beta.

What if someone in the Beta releases the source code early, allowing another altcoin to jump on this before we launch it for Peercoin?
While I’d prefer if this didn’t happen, it’s really no big deal. Don’t forget this is just the first step in a larger app, and I will only be developing for Peercoin.

I sent you my github username. What can I do to get prepared for the beta?
Ensure you have the entire bitcoin blockchain downloaded. In your bitcoin.conf, set txindex=1 AND reindex=1. Close and re-open Bitcoin Core to trigger the reindex, and once triggered go back to bitcoin.conf and remove reindex=1. This reindex may take a couple days. If you don’t know how to do this, don’t sweat it - there will be a button you can click in the app to do it for you (you’ll just have to wait until the reindex is finished to use the app).

I’m in the beta. Where do I post suggestions / questions / etc?
Please use the github issue tracker. You are also welcome to post them here, but they may fall through the cracks if not stuck in the issue tracker.

interested to see this, github username is fuzzybearbtc https://github.com/FuzzyBearBTC

Interested: Github Thireus (https://github.com/Thireus) :slight_smile:

Excited to know.
I have an old empty bitcoin wallet. Updating the blockchain may take a day or more. Why does it need a bitcoin client instead of a peercoin client?

I have github account. I am also traveling in the next few days so I may not be able to try soon.

[quote=“mhps, post:4, topic:3296”]Excited to know.
I have an old empty bitcoin wallet. Updating the blockchain may take a day or more. Why does it need a bitcoin client instead of a peercoin client?

I have github account. I am also traveling in the next few days so I may not be able to try soon.[/quote]
Quote from OP:

Bitcoin Core? Why not Peercoin Core? Peercoin Core will be merging in op_return from Bitcoin Core in v0.5 - which is not yet ready. For the purposes of this app, it can technically run on any blockchain that supports op_return - and so we'll test it and iterate on it on the Bitcoin blockchain until Peercoin is ready.

Unfortunately I cannot commit to this as I have too much else going on, might jump in later if you still need people at that time.

Ouch. Thanks Cybnate.

Hey!
Great to see that evolve into a beta!
I’m willing to contribute, but I need to confess that I have only little time.
I will install Bitcoin and start to sync that behemoth of block chain, though, just to be prepared.
How much BTC are needed for testing?

It costs the bitcoin tx fee (0.00011 btc) per message sent. So $1 would get you plenty of messages for testing.

Thanks @ everyone above. Doing some cleanup and testing, expectation the invitation on Sunday.

My PeerMessage beta address is 1Bz2zpFpnDaVeGSkFy3wnP8gFEwjkzfxWv. I’ll add it to my signature. (You can setup yours in advance as well, it’s just a bitcoin address I dedicated to the purpose of sending/receiving PeerMessages).

So. This is a Peercoin application, that runs on Bitcoin infrastructure?

I’m interested. but dubious.
Github: SigmundAlpha

[quote=“SigmundAlpha, post:9, topic:3296”]So. This is a Peercoin application, that runs on Bitcoin infrastructure?

I’m interested. but dubious.
Github: https://github.com/SigmundAlpha[/quote]

Bitcoin Core? Why not Peercoin Core? Peercoin Core will be merging in op_return from Bitcoin Core in v0.5 - which is not yet ready. For the purposes of this app, it can technically run on any blockchain that supports op_return - and so we'll test it and iterate on it on the Bitcoin blockchain until Peercoin is ready.

Hopefully it’ll encourage Sunny King (and sigmike) to continue pushing forward on the Peercoin v0.5 release. If they are anything like me, money isn’t particularly motivating, but seeing people building off your work and exploring new areas is!

I thought about just sitting on this silently until Peercoin v0.5 was ready, but discarded that idea.

The beta is now launched, and all who requested have received invites (except for mhps - you didn’t post your github username yet!).

Keep in mind, the app says in a bunch of places “Peercoin Wallet”, “Peercoin blockchain”, etc. Even though it says that, it’s really using the Bitcoin blockchain for now. Don’t let that confuse you.

You can look at the issues tab to see the next 7 things I intend on working on.

Please open up issues in github if you run into problems with installation - I know there’s a bunch of steps in the installation currently, but that will be simplified with time. Also feel free to post here any questions, comments, screenshots, whatever.

Pull requests are welcome, as are new feature ideas / bug reports!

My PeerMessage Beta address is 1Bz2zpFpnDaVeGSkFy3wnP8gFEwjkzfxWv. Shoot me a message, and I’ll shoot you one back!

Thanks all,
emeth

Why don’t use Primecoin blockchain?

You can read all emeth’s posts to understand what emeth is thinking and working on: Cryptoblog - notícias sobre bitcoin e criptomoedas!

You can read all emeth’s posts to understand what emeth is thinking and working on: Cryptoblog - notícias sobre bitcoin e criptomoedas!

I mean instead of Bitcoin blockchain for testing purposes.

I will answer myself. Primecoin is merged with Bitcoin Core v0.8.6 but OP_RETURN is added in the 0.9.0 release of Bitcoin Core, so Primecoin is not suitable. Sorry guys.

New release pushed. Renamed overall framework to “PeerApps”. Contains two apps currently, PeerMessage and PeerBlogs.

PeerBlogs was included in this release.

• Allows you to see a directory of all blogs on the network, # of posts they made and most recent posts, let’s you “glance” at their latest post.
  • Allows you to subscribe to any blog. Shows posts from all subscribed blogs in a subscribed feed.
  • Allows you to create blog posts yourself.

[quote=“emeth, post:11, topic:3296”]The beta is now launched, and all who requested have received invites (except for mhps - you didn’t post your github username yet!).

Keep in mind, the app says in a bunch of places “Peercoin Wallet”, “Peercoin blockchain”, etc. Even though it says that, it’s really using the Bitcoin blockchain for now. Don’t let that confuse you.

You can look at the issues tab to see the next 7 things I intend on working on.

Please open up issues in github if you run into problems with installation - I know there’s a bunch of steps in the installation currently, but that will be simplified with time. Also feel free to post here any questions, comments, screenshots, whatever.

Pull requests are welcome, as are new feature ideas / bug reports!

My PeerMessage Beta address is 1Bz2zpFpnDaVeGSkFy3wnP8gFEwjkzfxWv. Shoot me a message, and I’ll shoot you one back!

Thanks all,
emeth[/quote]
Hi emeth,

either I’ve overlooked the invitation or I haven’t received an invitation. Would you mind sending me one or telling me where to find it?

Kind regards
mOD

[quote=“emeth, post:16, topic:3296”]New release pushed. Renamed overall framework to “PeerApps”. Contains two apps currently, PeerMessage and PeerBlogs.

PeerBlogs was included in this release.

• Allows you to see a directory of all blogs on the network, # of posts they made and most recent posts, let’s you “glance” at their latest post.
  • Allows you to subscribe to any blog. Shows posts from all subscribed blogs in a subscribed feed.
  • Allows you to create blog posts yourself.[/quote]

Impressive!
What’s the difference between peerblog and twister?

[quote=“redlee, post:18, topic:3296”]Impressive!
What’s the difference between peerblog and twister?[/quote]

Thanks for the tip about Twister - hadn’t run into them before. I’m stoked to see people pushing on this front!

Peerblog meets the same basic use-cases as Twister - though Twister is far more feature-complete compared to centralized solutions, and I like Twister’s usage of Bittorrent over parasitic data storage.

Peerapps is more in line with something like retroshare than Twister, though. It’s attempting to create an ecosystem of decentralized data apps, not merely a single one.

The biggest difference I’d point out between Twister and Peerblog is where they live.

If I understand correctly, Twister is not tied to a cryptocurrency but has its own blockchain, and incentivizes miners by giving them advertising in the client. It stores the bulk of its data in a DHT / bittorrent-like protocol.

Peerblog (and all Peerapps) live off the Peercoin blockchain, and uses the financial side of peercoins as a security mechanism against both spam and sybil attacks (which isn’t as big of a deal in Peerblog itself, but plays a more prominent role in other apps built on this platform). The bulk of its data is currently stored in parasitic data storage of cloud services (tinyurl for example), but eventually that will only be a backup / for bootstrapping, and the bulk of data storage/access will occur from sidechains.

Aw man did I miss this? I would love to get involved. https://github.com/coingame