Peercoin Video by OverkillCoin

How come the newsletter sent say : “We have a new Peercoin Video!!” ?

I think Fuzzy said he didn’t want to scare people away by asking for money in the newsletter, but still wanted people to see what we’re working on. He probably shouldn’t have worded the newsletter that way, but there’s nothing we can do about it now. In any case, we will have a new Peercoin video as soon as it’s finished.

[quote=“overkillcoin, post:40, topic:2095”]Let’s start to nail down an idea for a script.

Since PPC doesn’t have any viable intro as of yet, would you agree that it’s best to make a general intro that sums things up for novices?

I’ll begin with a script in an outline form to save time. This is a stage where I’ll need the heaviest concentration of comments/feedback. I do plan to do research, however you’ll all have the final say.

Planning to start tomorrow (tuesday)[/quote]
Thanks Overkillcoin, good to hear you want to start. With the fundraiser just over halfway, we have to be a bit careful to commit to any of your work.
But great if you are willing to take the risk to start with a script for a 30 second video at this stage. If the fundraiser does well we can add messages to it in a modular way as you did with the demo posted in this thread. Or maybe just completely standalone and as suggested in this thread a small series.

With the risk of creating a lot of discussion, I think it is good that you start with a script from your experience. It is also good to know that we don’t have one leader who decides.

Therefore I’m just going to test the waters, please let us know what you think.

I don’t think our aim is to target people who don’t know anything about crypto coins. I think it is safe to say that we target groups who have already looked into either Bitcoins, Litecoins or Dogecoins to some extend and are aware of the basics, but happy to stand corrected in this thread. I think we need to have at least some agreement of the focus group we targeting before we start. If this results in a lot of discussion, we may have to vote on focus groups in a separate thread.

I agree with this and I believe ppcman said the same thing. The main people that will be interested in Peercoin are the people that are already into Bitcoin and know what it is and how to use it. When we get much bigger in the future, that would be a better time to market to newbies.

What we need to do now is focus on explaining what makes Peercoin better/different/more secure/sustainable than the competition. The question I have is should we specifically name Bitcoin in the video in order to provide contrast or should we not name it and try to only focus on Peercoin’s benefits?

We may not have enough time. They are two different concepts, and therefore would require 2 different 30-90 second videos.

Video #1: Peercoin’s benefits and purpose (Proof of stake, backbone & Peershares mentioned, 1% interest, small blockchain, etc)
Video #2: How Peercoin is complimentary to (and not in competition with) Bitcoin & Litecoin, etc.

the Peershares project should also be considering saving some funds for creating a Peershares video that fits into this model with the same video artist if the 1st one is a success. That gives us another “already funded” video if the Peershares funding allows for it.

My take is explain Peercoin for what it is. I say don’t muddle the water with, “The other guy”.

We need to show what this coin does that sets it apart. We are always touting that Peercoin is a backbone, is a store of share, has a fixed fee…etc, etc.

First and Foremost:

Why Peercoin?

What does Peercoin do?

Why would I use Peercoin, how would I use Peercoin?

Is Peercoin safe?

Why is it better than Xcoin?

Is Peercoin independent or does it rely on Xcoin?

How are you a backbone (Using the age old store of share argument doesn’t seem to take too well either, check some of Reddits threads on those discussions)

I believe we need to address this as an outsider looking in and explaining their perspective(in a sense). If the wrong perspective is approached it’s just a copy and paste
from the peercoin website.

I think explain the basics, and then switch gears.

Just my thoughts.

How about the word “backbone” vs “complimentary”?

“From my point of view, I think the cryptocurrency movement needs at least one ‘backbone’ currency, or more, that maintains high degree of decentralization, maintains high level of security, but not necessarily providing high volume of transactions. Thinking of savings accounts and gold coins, you don’t transact them at high velocity but they form the backbone of the monetary systems” — Sunny King

I always saw this a a very strong feature and point of Peercoin.

[quote=“blockmines, post:47, topic:2095”]How about the word “backbone” vs “complimentary”?

“From my point of view, I think the cryptocurrency movement needs at least one ‘backbone’ currency, or more, that maintains high degree of decentralization, maintains high level of security, but not necessarily providing high volume of transactions. Thinking of savings accounts and gold coins, you don’t transact them at high velocity but they form the backbone of the monetary systems” — Sunny King

I always saw this a a very strong feature and point of Peercoin. [/quote]

Yes, Sunny said it best. He should know. He created Peercoin, and I’ve always agreed with that mind set. Nice find blockmines…

I haven’t read through this entire thread but has anyone mentioned whether or not Peershares should be mentioned in the video? Jordan would probably have to comment his thoughts.

Peershares would probably be saved for its own video and Jordan could probably fund its development. I’m not sure if he’s ready for exposure like this yet though.

We may not have enough time. They are two different concepts, and therefore would require 2 different 30-90 second videos.

Video #1: Peercoin’s benefits and purpose (Proof of stake, backbone & Peershares mentioned, 1% interest, small blockchain, etc)
Video #2: How Peercoin is complimentary to (and not in competition with) Bitcoin & Litecoin, etc.

the Peershares project should also be considering saving some funds for creating a Peershares video that fits into this model with the same video artist if the 1st one is a success. That gives us another “already funded” video if the Peershares funding allows for it.[/quote]
Now we have reached the target and already have some spare we can probably aim for a 90 second video. I noticed that @overkillcoin made his demo video modular. This means it is easy to edit sections in and out. Given we have not that much time I would still go for at least two sections, so we have some variation to show. But that’s just my opinion.

Regarding Peershares, I think it is a bit too early for that, but if Jordan thinks it is ok we can mention it as exciting future developments or something like that. When they officially launch they probably would have their own video.

@overkillcoin,
I think we are ready for some advice on what would work better, separate videos with different messages or one video with multiple messages in sections, we can split up ourselves?

Do you think you are ready to post a first outline of a script or do you need more information from us regarding scope? There has been some good suggestions in this thread. I think we need a bit of Q & A to work through this as you suggested. Please let us know when we can expect something. We are ready for it, but please take the time you need to make this a great video

re: 30 seconds, 90 seconds, or even 2 minutes

The original overkillcoin video was 2 minutes. Granted, there was a lot of animation in it, which shows it the amount of work required.

There were moments though, where there was nothing more than a static image on the screen for a second, while the narrator took time to speak.

I fully believe that based on the script, and the amount of animation required, that overkill coin could easily expand our video to 90 seconds to 2 minutes with simple narration in certain parts without needing a lot of work for cartoon animation.

The import part here is the script. I think if we’re paying overkillcoin in PPC, and this video gets released, he is more apt to holding his PPC while our price increases anyway. So he’ll do the video justice.

If there is a single segment of the video that lasts 10-15 seconds long, where the speaker is talking, with a Peercoin logo on the screen, from the production standpoint “that is cheap and easy to do”, so I doubt he’d bill that into the cost of production the same way as if he had cartoon images flipping at 30 frames /second.

So the video could be stretched with some non-animation parts, with simple voice overs, lasting 10 seconds or so, bringing our timeline a little longer.

@overkillcoin,

If overkillcoin is reading this, and gets what I’m trying to explain, please hop in and mention so?

By the way, I know there is a careful balance between “information overload”, where you put down too many points, and confuse the viewer, and the opposite “the video is too quick, and its hard to learn or grasp any concepts because they flip by so fast”

We don’t want a video too quick, or too long. LOL.

In the video production industry, it is actually harder to shoot a 30 second commercial than it is to shoot a 10 minute short believe it or not. When you’re playing with 1/2 seconds on the timeline for a commercial, it can be an editing nightmare to get it so the jumpcuts make sense.

I know these were posted already, but I just want to make sure Overkillcoin has used them in his research. The information in these links are of paramount importance in terms of understanding Peercoin, especially from the developer’s perspective. Peercoin has a very unique purpose and it’s easy to overlook it and lop it in with the other coins. As you look deeper, you’ll start to realize that Sunny King has a grand vision for Peercoin, which came about through his foresight and long-term thinking. Can anyone think of anymore resources we can give him to help him better understand it?

Sunny King Community Interview #1
http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2216.0

Sunny King Community Interview #2
http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2218.0

Cointrader Article:
http://cointrader.org/peercoin-proof-of-stake-and-bitcoin/

Here is quick update. We haven’t forgotten about the video. @River333 had brief contact with @Overkillcoin 2 days ago. He indicated that he will check this video thread so please keep on posting good ideas while he is working on the script/video.

I hope he can come back with at least an outline script in the next couple of days, but I don’t have any commitment from him at the moment.

I cut and pasted this info and I’m reviewing it. Beginning today. I’ll post progress here unless otherwise notified.

Thank you!

This is a framework of the information I’ve gathered. Given a longer version of this, you may want to have more “lead-in” text. For example, introductory information that helps novices ready themselves for the more involved info.

You could potentially cut out "while maintaining strong security and energy efficiency. " and add info elsewhere, since the following line discusses the same thing. Perhaps elaborate proof of stake/checkpoints.

I appreciate your comments. I think the next version will be a little less ‘vanilla’, being a draft, it needs some more effort.

Why Peercoin?

00:00 - 00:07
Peercoin stands out as a innovative crypto-currency for transferring and storing wealth while maintaining strong security and energy efficiency.

00:07 - 00:17
Peercoin transactions rely on the Proof-of-stake algorithm, rewarding holders and staying sustainable. Its network uses “checkpoints” to ensure superior security.

00:17 - 00:27
Peercoin serves as a stable, complementary “backbone” currency, used as a store of value - like a savings account or gold. 1% interest is gained yearly.

00:27 - end
For more information or to get started, please visit peercoin.net

I’m busy at work at the moment, but here is one initial thought. I don’t think we should be advertising the checkpoint system in the video. In fact, that’s one of the major complaints people have about Peercoin. The checkpoints are there to protect the network in its beginning stages, but will be phased out in the future once the network matures and more people are minting stake. Eventually, proof-of-stake will be able to protect the network from attack by itself without the checkpoints. Many people here are waiting for the day when it’s removed, but that can’t happen until the network is ready and mature enough.

Maybe more on how proof-of-stake secures the network? It’s possible we may need to expand to the 1 minute mark in order to explain how proof-of-stake provides security for Peercoin, accompanied by some animated representation of the explanation. What are some thoughts from others?

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:57, topic:2095”]I’m busy at work at the moment, but here is one initial thought. I don’t think we should be advertising the checkpoint system in the video. In fact, that’s one of the major complaints people have about Peercoin. The checkpoints are there to protect the network in its beginning stages, but will be phased out in the future once the network matures and more people are minting stake. Eventually, proof-of-stake will be able to protect the network from attack by itself without the checkpoints. Many people here are waiting for the day when it’s removed, but that can’t happen until the network is ready and mature enough.

Maybe more on how proof-of-stake secures the network? It’s possible we may need to expand to the 1 minute mark in order to explain how proof-of-stake provides security for Peercoin, accompanied by some animated representation of the explanation. What are some thoughts from others?[/quote]

Agree about the checkpoints, if they are removed in the future then the video would no longer be accurate.

I think it looks good overall. It gives a good introduction to the main points of Peercoin. We might need a slightly longer video to fill out the points a little bit.

Like Sentinel said, instead of checkpointing we could mention how PoS prevents centralization from mining pools, decreasing the risk of 51% attack (maybe with some cool animation showing the miners taking over the network).

I know some people dislike the term “interest”, so maybe it could be changed to something like “reward” for securing the network?

I think we are aiming for people who are already familiar with Bitcoin.

Agreed. The checkpoint issue is relatively minor and shouldn’t be in there nor should the 1% interest. I’m not sure how one does it in 30 seconds, but I think the main message should be the superiority of Proof-of-Stake compared to Proof-of-Work.

Another thing, to future-proof it should we say something like “check out our website” and show the website on the screen? Just in case we ever end up getting the .org or .com? Just a thought.

Also, the term “crypto-currency” is fine with me, but do others want to use “crypto-coin” instead like in the slogan? I’m not sure what the consensus is on this…