Peercoin Video by OverkillCoin

I see what you mean. The way it is now it kind of looks like it is not decentralized. I think this can be fixed by the cross not appearing first, but as a integrated part of the circle. It might also help with another colour than red, but I don’t think that is necessary.

Let me know your decisions on that red cross by the way guys, as there’s a sound effect associated with it that might need resyncing or removal if it’s changed.

@Overkillcoin made a nice gesture yesterday and accepting the remaining PPC in the fund as payment. As 99% of his work is now done and we are just waiting for the final edit and audio mixing, he has asked for a 3rd installment. This would be about 480 PPC, almost $700 at current rate.

Given the quality of the work we have seen till date I recommend to transfer the 3rd installment by tomorrow. In return we will have the sources to date uploaded at a location I would have access to.

Please let me know here or via PM if you think there are issues with this. When no replies or endorsements only I will continue as per my recommendation.

Cybnate, I have been very impressed with his work, and it’s clear that the video is almost finished. I endorse this decision.

Update, stayed up last night and now all the sound effects are created and synced. I’m going to get a mix on them with the vocals then send over for peer review just after lunch. After it’s sent I’ll start work on the background music while you guys are (hopefully) approving the other work XD

Afternoon Peercoin peeps :smiley:

I’ve created, synced and mixed the sound effects to my own taste and adjusted the vocal-sfx ratio to a better mix (used the Bitcoin vid as reference). There are 2 videos for you here. The first is with vocals and sound effects, so you can hear it all in context (minus the music), then the second is just the sound effects. You can use these to check the syncing.

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/ym21j76k9k07460/PeerCoinVid(withSFX).avi
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/lsauiii24ftdwbc/PeerCoinVid(withSFX_OffVocal).avi

Note: The streaming quality of Mediafire video is terrible, so I suggest downloading for a better idea of how it looks/sounds.

Here are the audio files too for better comparison of the actual sound. The streaming quality is still not great though, so I again recommend downloading (these files are much smaller though :D).

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/6z9riq4ridenco9/PeerCoinVid(withSFX).wav
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/sockxqblb4kkzcb/PeerCoinVid(withSFX_OffVocal).wav

Let me know if there are any sound effects too loud or quiet, or ones you hate (though I’ll have to have a community decision on that), and how the vocal to sfx sounds to you guys now. Also if there are any that you think are missing.

With regards possible changes I can hear immediately, There’s that red X with the decentralized stamp which I need to know whether it’ll be removed or changed in the animation so I can fix or remove the sound (I saw the discussions yesterday). Also I noticed some hiss on the spinning coin before the pig/safe, but that doesn’t seem noticeable once the voice is there too, so I’ll try and tame it, but I don’t think it’s a big issue.

The beginning and end of the videos are quite bare because I intend there to be denser music there (with less music in the middle of the vid). I’ll make a start on that after lunch :3

On a side note, you’ll notice the video is pretty quiet at the moment. I’ll make it louder during the mastering process, it just makes sense to have the larger headroom when mixing (turn everything down so you have room to turn some things up, then turn everything up at the end). Speaking of which, how loud do you want the video? After a certain point, making it “appear” louder will start to effect the general audio quality, but it depends on how much that bothers you considering it’s an advert video rather than a piece of music (It’s not going to lose punch over loudness like music can). I’m going to aim for the same RMS loudness as the Bitcoin vid, though I’ll let you know if I run into problems when it comes to mastering (just planning ahead).

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the videos and let me know your thoughts :smiley:

Listening to the Bitcoin vid, there isn’t much music in there at all; it really does just fill in the gaps. I’m going to try something like that and see how it sounds. The video already has a lot of sound effects.

I fixed that hiss in the coin too. Sounds a lot better :smiley:

@Jabun
wow i really like it - great work! only a couple i didn’t like:
00:17 —> guy with looking glass - sigh
01:28 —> piggy bank grunt noise

and just one suggestion:
00:49 —> just wondered if a 4th noise up the centralization steps would work - i was kind of expecting one

sounds amazing though… nice one

@r00tsical
Thanks for the praise, and fair comments. With regards the sigh and pig, would these be removal or replacement? I don’t imagine replacing the sigh’s going to do much, but I should be able to find another pig sound somewhere :smiley: Also lets get a general consensus on that :3 @Everyone Who else wants these effects changed/removed? I vote +1 on changing the pig if I can find a replacement sound. I don’t know any pigs I could ask to make sounds for me to record ;D

I had another look at the centralization steps, but to me it seems weird to have a sound with no corresponding visuals going on… I’m not even sure what sound I’d put there to be honest ???

Music actually didn’t take as long as I thought to make (once I’d experimented a bit). It’s all composed now, but I just need to mix it. I ended up going for minimal music sort of like the Bitcoin vid, just jazz drums and double bass, but for surprising little I think it’s really suiting the voice and fitting the mood :smiley: I hope to upload a demo for you guys by tonight.

There is one more sound effect I’m going to add though. After the chimes from the Pig and the safe, I’m going to add another one with the banner, since I ended up playing off it with the music.

At this rate, I think I might be able to get this all finished by the time I go on Sunday, or at least to a point where it’s complete and you guys can mull over it while I’m away for a few days. That all depends on changes and you guys though :3

I’ll get mixing and see if I can find anymore pig sound effects too.

@Jabun
i was thinking of getting rid completely for the sigh and pig. as for centralization steps i have no idea it was just a thought so don’t worry. double bass sounds promising - looking forward to it.

What if we use the 4 first seconds of this video as the “centralization sound”?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZVWNQdCxbo

Yo peeps,

I’ve made some simple music for the vid and am posting up a demo vid and the audio file (for clarity). Same comments as before with regards mediafire streaming quality; download for the best representation.

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/1l7wua9zb75galw/PeerCoinAdvert(withsomemusic).avi
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/y9mowl86x742xam/PeerCoinAdvert(withsomemusic).wav

There are a few of things I need your opinions on:

1. Do you guys think there should be a few sound effects at the beginning of the video (before “send, receive, store”), or do you think it sounds good as it is?

2. I’ve added some scene punctuation music (4 clips) between the intro and outro music. After hearing them with the video I’m not too keen on some of them, but wanted to know your opinion(s) on them before I remove them.

3. Also, I’ve muted the “sigh” and “pig”, for this so you have a comparison for with and without, but I still need a consensus on whether or not you want to keep or change them. My opinion is to keep but find a better pig sound. I think it looks strange with the movement of the characters but no sound.

4. How do you like the music generally?

5. General mix of music in the background, right level of double-bass/drums compared to vocals+sfx?

I can’t keep recomposing/performing/mixing the music, as it’s very time-consuming and creatively difficult to think up of and create a perfectly synced soundtrack to a free-time animation. If you can suggest improvements, I can consider them, but if you want something completely different, please find a piece of music you’d like and I’ll try to implement it as background music.

@sandakersmann
I actually think that piece is really cool sounding, but I don’t think it really fits with the animation style… Also, I find it weird to have a sound without any animation trigger. Thanks for the suggestion though :3

Hope you enjoy the music and animation and let me know your thoughts :3

Found some alternative pig sounds too. I think these’d be better:

Thoughts? I was thinking 2 or 3 grunts

@Jabun
really nice track - i think it fits real nice. however i much prefer the 2nd section when the music is constantly playing in the background… cool!

Cheers r00tsical :smiley: I thought it suited the voice well

I found there were a lot more sound effects in the first half generally, then towards the end the sound effects get sparser. I didn’t particularly want to put too much music in the first half since there were more louder/bassier sounds going on. Also what were your thoughts on the music punctuation bits in the first half? Yay or nay? I’m really not sure :-\

Forgot to add in the last long post. I didn’t want to put all in for the music until I knew whether people liked the general idea/groove, but if people like it, how would they feel about me adding a simple piano part? Do you guys think it needs it or is fine without; will it really add much? I’m really not sure, though I’d usually go for less rather than more approach.

I’m gonna take a break until I have few more opinions in, but I’d like to continue working tomorrow :3

@Jabun
i personally didn’t like the music punctuation bits in the first half. keys might work but i can’t think in my head whether they would work with the voice and whether piano, rhodes or some organ would work best…

@r00tsical
Cool I’ll remove the musical punctuation bits (just needed clarification that someone else didn’t like them either XD)

Before I finished the drums and bass I tried rhodes, but it didn’t have the clarity I wanted… (too mellow) I quite like the idea of a percussive bright sound like a piano. I’ll give it a shot tomorrow :3

Oh! Correction. I’ll give it a shot once I’ve had more confirmations on the musical direction.

Afternoon Peercoiners!

Did some more work on the audio today and apart from possible tweaks it’s pretty much ready for delivery :smiley: I’ve done a mastering test for you guys so you’ll hear it in the same way it’ll appear in the finished product. I’ve added some midrange to match the style of the Bitcoin vid, added some top end sparkle for a polished sound then bumped up the volume and warmed the sound with some compression. Here’s a demo: (again with the streaming quality remarks)

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/jg1w7la75sx1ax7/PeerCoinAdvertMasteringTest1.wav

How is the general sound/balance/clarity for you guys?

I’ve also made a few edits.

1. Took out the scene punctuation music
  2. Turned down the sigh sound (I’d prefer to have it in there, but we’ll leave it to peer review)
  3. Replaced the pig grunt with a single oink (Again, same comment as above)
  4. Added a whoosh sound effect at the beginning as the camera zooms from space to the people on earth.

With regards the possibility of adding piano (or another instrument), I had a think and a play around and think it’s probably better without. The bass lies below the Vocal range, but the piano would sit on top of it and might bring about issues with the vocal clarity (without just having it pointlessly quiet). Unless anyone thinks it really needs it, I’d say just keep it d’n’b.

With regards other possible edits, I still need to know whether or not the decentralized stamp will be changed. Other than that i think it’s mainly just down to mix/mastering taste (easy tweaks).

Let me know what you guys think and hope you enjoy the audio (I didn’t bother putting up video, because of upload times, quality and you already know what it looks like XD)

Enjoy ;D

Sounds great :slight_smile:

The decentralized stamp is something I can live with in it’s current form, and it seems that people don’t have strong opinions on it since only NewMoneyEra and I have commented on it. Anyone else that want to weigh in on this?