Peercoin value - I dont get it

I really am confused why PPC seems to be losing market share (its been out of the top 100 coins now for a few months) and why its value is so ridiculously low. I’m putting my money where my mouth is and continue to buy/invest in PPC, but I’m really at a loss why this coin just doesnt seem to be in demand despite everything positive going for it (active, proficient dev team, stable long term coin, recent upgrade (I really thought 0.6 would rekindle it)).

Does anyone have some constructive observations? Presumably we all want this coin to succeed - what needs to be done?

1 Like

In terms of top “coins” it’s still ranks #63 right now.

Remeber that Peercoin was $0.20 on Dec 22nd, 2016.

There is a paradigm shift happening against Proof of Work that is only starting to be realized.
These type of shifts in mindset don’t happen overnight. Take a look at the interest in Proof of Stake and the trend
that is forming.

In just the past two months I see Peercoin being discussed and brought up in popular reddit posts about Bitcoin’s energy consumption and alternative solutions. I’m not sure why everyone is so impatient with the general public. In my opinon there will be a massive transfer of wealth in crypto from Proof of Work coins to Proof of Stake coins in 2018-2020.

9 Likes

On CoinGecko.com Peercoin is ranked #45. I’ve recently ran across this website, become somewhat fond of the layout, simplicity and well the green gecko of course. :dragon_face:

But in regards to @Zangy’s questions, here’s something to consider. I’ll use my case as an example, I have an organic coffee farm in Puerto Rico, all that is destroyed now but eventually I would like to sell my coffee out of my own coffee shop. I fully intend to accept PPC as payment in the same way merchants accept BTC in order to undercut some of the fee’s associated with credit cards. But aside from the physical transactions in person, I would also like to sell online. Which brings me to my observation. Go to Peercoin.com -> Get Started -> Merchants …

This page is great, because I like what I see, it’s relevant to me as a merchant, great! Now how do I make this happen? Click Payment Integration Guide and ok, hold up, this is where I have a little trouble wrapping my head around all this. Essentially, my observation is this, merchants would like to use Peercoin but I feel that we can do more to walk through or FAQ to make it easier on how to make it happen. Personally I feel if we beefed up information on how to for merchants we can see growth in use cases.

After a little digging through in the forums I found a link to this page and eventually what I’m trying to say is it be a benefit to get to something like this as seen here https://gourl.io/lib/examples/pay-per-product.php?gourlcryptocoin=peercoin . If we had a kind of complete walk through from start to finish on how to add Peercoin as payment to your online store, I think this would be very useful. Now I’m sure I can just use the gourl.io Peercoin Payment API but thats kind of sidetracking the point I would like to make.

I think this will aid in helping Peercoin grow in value. If more merchants are using it the better! Perhaps we can have a listing to merchants online and offline that accept PPC?

Organic cup of coffee paid for in PPC? :coffee::grin:

2 Likes

A guide like this would be best hosted on our documentation website that Kazzkiq setup. We have yet to make it to the point of setting this up and writing content due to the recent focus on the v0.6 release. Now may be a good time to get this setup so people can contribute.

2 Likes

The inside value is not so clear for the peercoin, you know guys, that the platform was banned in China for coins’ market trade, So the BTC38 got a new website: www. AEX.com, but after several weeks, the peercoin was stopped for trade in the new website. I ask the reason, the reply is the peercoin had so little trade, the new platform believe this is a waste of resource of platform,so i was also confused…

Zangy, these are questions people asked about Bitcoin too.

Why is bitcoin’s value so ridiculously low? Only $75/coin (this was July 2013 which is only a little over 4 years ago)

At that time people could have said:

I’m really at a loss why [Bitcoin] just doesnt seem to be in demand despite everything positive going for it (active, proficient dev team, stable long term coin, recent upgrade

Those that hold long term deserve the extreme riches they get, because they weather the time.

Those that want extreme riches “in a week” or “in a month”, don’t deserve it, so don’t expect that…

Peercoin is quite healthy and will continue to be healthy. Just enjoy the ride, you’ll get there.

1 Like

Your points were valid back in July 2013, but we are in Nov 2017 where crypto’s has effectively exploded and left Peercoin for dust (not withstanding the huge gains today).

I’m just looking for a bit more depth of analysis rather than just the superficial (albeit positive) shallow outlook

left Peercoin for dust… you have such a way with words.

1 Like

I try :slight_smile:

I believe in PPC wholeheartedly… I have exchanged quite a few BTC for PPC and hold a fairly substantial amount of PPC and I intend to hold it long term…

I’m pleased to see some promotional activity kicking off as well, lets hope it gives PPC the much needed boost it so thoroughly deserves

2 Likes

low price equal to health coin? no ico team or illegal team uses it equal to ppc advantage? if all you guys close your doors and mask your ears in your own world, ppc will die definitely,as i known, a good project,must have good team, good VC, lots users and good application, ppc only has a good dev. team. lets cheer for first pos coin and ignore the fast carry iterative network.

What ppc needs is user community. People need to use it in their day to day lives for the coin to ultimately succeed.

If a service like bitpay existed for peercoin i think it would go a long way towards mass adoption.

1 Like

Marketing. How did you discover PPC?

$300b+ in digital currencies yet $80m in PPC. The bulk of the $ is in BTC and ETH, both of which are fundamentally not as sound as PPC.

Most of the people who hold BTC or other coins don’t even understand the block chain or know what a fork is, even why it’s called a fork.

When digital currencies become much more well understood by the general public (I myself included), then PPC will naturally stand out - either through research or by marketing.

$5 on Wex. Clearly I spoke too soon… well done Peercoin team

1 Like

Honestly 5$ is just an arbitrary number, compared to the rest of the crypto market it’s clearly undervalued.

1 Like

True but it shows that the market is reacting in the right direction.

1 Like

Seems that people is realizing the potential of PPC. #USD10Today

2 Likes

You are right. The price is not all, but it can reflect the belief of users

An important point to remember is that most people who buy bitcoin, litecoin and Ether don’t actually want those coins - they want dollars, pounds, euros, etc.

It is the same with peercoin, but not to the same extent. There is a greater proportion of people interested in PPC/XPC itself, rather than in converting to dollars as soon as the price jumps up. This is a good culture for development, but also frustrating in terms of competition.

But the careful development of PPC/XPC should pay dividends in the medium to long-term when the problems of PoW become apparent (fingers crossed).

2 Likes

Well said!

If don’t compare and exchange with fiat money, there is no PPC payment channel and application related with PPC, then what’s the use? Just for development? then please make the PPC price to 0, or just announce: All PPCoin just for development purpose,the money all you would pay for the PPcoin is just for donation of the great PPCoin innovation, It doesn’t mean any value compared with fiat money.