Peercoin v0.4.0 Released - Please Upgrade Before May 4th 14:00 UTC

reinstalled 0.3.0 just to make a screenshot ;D

What the alert message told us? I got the following log from debug.log file:

“accepted alert 3, AppliesToMe()=1”

Just updated wallet via website. Windows version in “About PPCoin” says “PPCoin version v0.4.0ppc-beta”
Is this the released version?
TIA.

slick

Short answer:yes

Posted using Tapatalk for Android.

I apologize in advance if this has been asked or if I’m just blind, but is there a mac wallet for the 0.4 version yet?

Not yet. I’ve run into a few challenges getting it to compile on 10.9.

Until then, the best I have is the updated daemon: http://www.reddit.com/r/peercoin/comments/22ecc0/v04_released/cgr9qeb?context=3

Thanks for the update and no rush, I can wait to update my mac :D. Just wanted to make sure I didn’t miss it.

new peercoin 0.4 community Windows Qt binaries available from http://builds.peercointalk.org/

any problems let me know.

These will use the same peercoin directory for the storing of the blockchain like the previous community versions, so if you have used these builds before you should be fine running the new client with no changes, if you have not used these before then

Back up your wallet.dat file
close any ppcoind or ppcoinQt you may be running
open a windows explorer and type %appdata% in the address bar
rename the directory “ppcoin” to “peercoin”
open that directory and rename your ppcoin.conf to peercoin.conf
start the new binary and u are good to go :slight_smile:

Let me know of any issues, concerns or requests

Fuzzybear

Hey,
I am trying to install the new version, but I always get the error message “Error opening file for writing: …”

Anybody an idea what’s wrong?

I am running this on my Windows 7 (64 bit) machine, previous version of PPCoin is running fine…

could your download have been corrupted? have you tried downloading a fresh copy and tried again?

Yes, I did that several times indeed…

I also deinstalled the previous version before installing the new one

Now I have installed v0.3.0 again and it runs fine…

[quote=“sebaldrian, post:131, topic:1778”]Yes, I did that several times indeed…

I also deinstalled the previous version before installing the new one

Now I have installed v0.3.0 again and it runs fine…[/quote]

I had the exact same problem, turned out I hadn’t properly closed PPCoin before uninstalling it but the uninstaller hadn’t flagged it and ppcoin-qt 0.3.0 was still happily running. I forgot I set it to minimize on close.

Yeah need to make sure v0.3.0 client is properly shut down first. Otherwise you might see such error.

Hm,
thanks for the input.

It still does not work…I closed the client and then I shut down the PPCoin Process in the task manager, then unsinstalled v0.3.0, restarted the machine… Result is still the same error message while installing… :frowning:

I installed the new version on a different machine though without any problems… wouldn’t it be enough to just overwrite the ppcoin-qt in the v0.3 folder with the ppcoin-qt v.0.4 from the other machine?

Oki, problem solved. I just did the replacement and now version 0.4.0 is running fine.

Regarding the OS X version, is it likely there will be one before May 4th? I’m not impatient but I am getting a little nervous that I’ll be left high and dry.

I certainly hope so. I can’t stress enough how much of a priority it is for me to get resolved, and I’m disappointed that it has taken this long. Many apologies to all of the OS X users out there :frowning:

Update: I’ve been able to build Peerunity for OSX, and am about to try it with Peercoin v0.4. I don’t have the “pretty” .dmg build yet, but I’m optimistic now that I’ve been able to get it to compile. I’ll provide an update this evening, hopefully with a link.

[quote=“FuzzyBear, post:128, topic:1778”]new peercoin 0.4 community Windows Qt binaries available from http://builds.peercointalk.org/

any problems let me know.

These will use the same peercoin directory for the storing of the blockchain like the previous community versions, so if you have used these builds before you should be fine running the new client with no changes, if you have not used these before then

Back up your wallet.dat file
close any ppcoind or ppcoinQt you may be running
open a windows explorer and type %appdata% in the address bar
rename the directory “ppcoin” to “peercoin”
open that directory and rename your ppcoin.conf to peercoin.conf
start the new binary and u are good to go :slight_smile:

Let me know of any issues, concerns or requests

Fuzzybear[/quote]
Do we also need to upgrade the daemon with the official built. Or is just applying the QT built enough? Interestingly the message to upgrade the wallet doesn’t show any more after upgrading the Qt…

If you use the daemon, then yes, you’ll need to upgrade it, too. If you don’t do anything from the command line, directly, then you don’t need to worry about it.

During the initialization of the Qt client, if needed, it updates the wallet.dat, block index and block databases to the new protocol standards.

As long as you’ve updated the client to v0.4 before the timestamp defined in kernel.cpp, the message goes away:

Note once the protocol switches on May 5th, accidentally opening your old v0.3 client could mess up your client transaction database, which would require a blockchain redownload to fix. It is strongly recommended to completely remove v0.3 client binaries from your system.

For Windows users this is less of an issue, due to the required installation.