I know some of you are eagerly waiting for the new release. However remember both peercoin and primecoin are handled as mission critical software so there is a high standard of testing involved. The release candidate of v0.4 has completed testing. I will cut the release candidate tomorrow and then official build will be started.
v0.4 upgrade schedule has been fixed as following:
Release candidate for distribution - this week (expect 2~3 days)
2014-MAR-24 Testnet upgrade deadline and testnet protocol switch
2014-APR-05 Official v0.4 release for distribution
2014-MAY-05 v0.4 upgrade deadline and network protocol switch
v0.4 release includes UI usability features, protocol adjustment for possible future p2pool support and bug fixes. Upgrade is mandatory.
Update: Release candidate 1 is ready and uploaded for deployment on testnet. Official build includes linux and windows binaries. Please note release candidate is intended for testnet deployment, the main release is scheduled for around April 5 if testnet upgrade goes smoothly.
Release candidate 1 can be downloaded from:
Source code and tag updated on github to RC1:
Gitian signatures for the builds at:
Upgrade Instructions: Timely upgrade does not require blockchain redownload. Only need to uninstall previous client and install new client. Always remember to backup wallet before performing upgrade. Wallet backup should be done through UI menu or the backupwallet command. Directly copying wallet.dat file is not a 100% safe backup.
Update (March 24): Testnet protocol is switching today. Late upgrade would require redownloading testnet blockchain.
Update (April 6): Release build completed and under final validation. Expect announcement soon.
Update (April 6):
What’s included in v0.4.0:
- Debug window console support in Qt, easier to get to command line e.g. unlock wallet for minting (if you enter wallet passphrase in the console please remember to use the clear button to clear it).
- Protocol adjustment required for future p2pool support. Protocol switch scheduled for May 5th.
- Experimental getblocktemplate support
- getpeerinfo support
- Bug fixes
- Mandatory upgrade release, upgrade deadline May 4th.
Official builds for linux and windows
Links to builds for OS X
Gitian signatures of release builds
[b]Upgrade instructions from v0.3.0:
- Backup wallet from qt menu or ‘backupwallet’ command. Please note directly copying wallet.dat file is not a 100% safe backup.
- Write down your wallet balance/newmint/stake.
- Shutdown and uninstall v0.3.0 client
- Download and install v0.4.0 client
- Start up v0.4.0 client, verify your wallet balance/newmint/stake
- Verify in the About dialog or getinfo output that your client version is v0.4.0ppc.[/b]
Please upgrade before May 4th 14:00 UTC (one day before protocol switch time on May 5th), otherwise blockchain redownload would be required for the client to work properly.
Update (May 5)
Okay, I know, so you’ve missed the upgrade deadline. Don’t panick yet
I cannot stress this enough, back up your wallet before panicking. And either use the UI menu or ‘backupwallet’ command to backup. Copying the wallet file is not a 100% safe backup.
If you missed the deadline, your upgraded client would display an error message saying blockchain redownload is required. So here is the instruction to redownload blockchain:
[b]Blockchain redownload involves:
- Backup wallet.
- Note down balance/stake amount.
- Shutdown client.
- Removing all files/subdirectories in the wallet directory except for wallet.dat and ppcoin.conf
- Start up client
- Once blockchain sync completes verify balance/stake amount matches the previous noted value. It’s possible the sum gets bigger if you generate stake during this period. [/b]
(Mod edit: Links to OS X builds added to post because people weren’t seeing it and assuming that they didn’t exist - Ben)