Peercoin v0.10 (Codename Scarab) Released

Peercoin v0.10 Released!

We are pleased to announce the release of Peercoin v0.10 (Codename Scarab). Look below for more details concerning this release.

Changelog

• Rebase to Bitcoin Core 0.20.2 Codebase
  • Scarab Splash Screen
  • Bugfixes and polish

Summary

As part of our endeavor to modernize Peercoin’s codebase, we are releasing Peercoin v0.10, a simple, optional, and non-breaking upgrade. It is an updated client running the v0.9 protocol. This new version includes all the fresh goodies from upstream Bitcoin-core, but is stripped of all elements which make no sense in the context of Peercoin.

Upgrading is optional. If you run some mission critical deployment like a mining pool or an exchange, it is best that you continue deploying v0.9.

Contributors

Big thanks to volunteers who have made this release possible:

Upgrade Instructions

Before installation, make sure to backup your wallet from the main menu.

The v0.10 client can be downloaded from the wallets page of peercoin.net. For existing users upgrading from v0.9, upgrade instructions can also be found on that page. If you need help with installation, leave a comment below.

New v0.10 splash screen:

Download

Support

To stay informed, you can follow the latest Peercoin news on our forum, our Twitter, or Reddit. If you want to come chat or need help, come say hi to our team and community on Telegram/Discord.

Donate

Remember that these developments are sponsored by the Peercoin Foundation, which in turn is sponsored by generous community donations. PPC, BTC, and Fiat can be donated at peercoin.net/foundation.

Future Developments

You can also preview our upcoming developments for the next major release (Peercoin v0.11) in our 2021 Roadmap.

Retweet

https://twitter.com/peercoinppc/status/1392540434593771520?s=21

14 Likes

Thanks for the work.
I installed it on my old mac (OS X El Capitan) but it could not open it. Is my OS too old for this new version (v0.9 works fine)? Is it time to move my wallet to a newer computer?

If I remember correctly I think Bitcoin removed some support for older Mac OS X, and then those changes are in Peercoin v0.10.0 as well.

You’re right. I just saw it now: “From Bitcoin Core 0.20.0 onwards, macOS versions earlier than 10.12 are no longer supported.”

2 Likes

Gracias.

I’ve been away from peercoin since 2019 and just read up on the new PoS reward scheme. Now if i understand correctly this means the new mint rate is 3%/yr (vs old 1%) + extra 3% based on minting participation rate of network.

So if a node were to mint with PoS network participation at 50% the rate of interest on minted coins would be 4.5%? Is this correct?

Periodic minters can earn about 3% per year from the coinage based reward. Then you have the new static reward, which tracks with the overall coin supply. This favors people who mint continuously. So if you leave your node minting 24/7 all year around, you can boost that 3% up to around 5%. Every new block minted gives you extra PPC from the static portion of the reward, so the more blocks you mint, the more of the static reward you will earn. Periodic minters lose out on the static reward since they are not minting many blocks.

Periodic minters can earn about 3% per year from the coinage based reward. Then you have the new static reward, which tracks with the overall coin supply. This favors people who mint continuously. So if you leave your node minting 24/7 all year around, you can boost that 3% up to around 5%. Every new block minted gives you extra PPC from the static portion of the reward, so the more blocks you mint, the more of the static reward you will earn. Periodic minters lose out on the static reward since they are not minting many blocks.

Ok got it. Also i just updated from V0.7 to the new 0.10 client and cant find the minting tab. Was it removed?

If you resize the window to the right can you see it?

Yes it is there now didnt know you had to resize the window to see it

It was thought to be fixed, but I guess something is still wrong.

Hi,

is peercoin-0.10.0-arm-linux-gnueabihf.tar.gz the version to be installed on a Pi Zero?

Regards
AB3D

Hi, I installed this tarball on my Rpi 4B and its working fine, as expected.

I’ll update the deb repo soon.

3 Likes

Thanks, but as I’ve learned in the past, the release running on Pi2(?) and newer is not compatible with Pi Zero.

Ohkay, didn’t know that. Do you know why?

What I remember is, that there is a different understanding of armhf for Debian and Raspian.

Yes.

As I understand it, it is 0.25% (flat rate) plus 3% based on minting participation. So, if 20% of coins are minting, that would be 0.85% POS inflation (i.e. 20% of 3%, plus 0.25%). That 0.85% would be received only by those who are minting, so the minting reward will average out at 4.25%.