Peercoin Slogan Discussion Thread

NOTE: This was originally a voting thread, but it seems we need more time to discuss the issue.

EDIT: We could always keep the current slogan also. Whatever you guys decide.

In this thread we talked about the need for a new slogan which conveys the central idea behind Peercoin. For those who don’t know already, Peercoin was specifically designed to be a stable, sustainable and secure way to store wealth long-term, much like gold or a reserve currency for crypto. This is a thread to discuss the issue further. All of the following slogans were pulled from the previous thread…

• The Gold Standard of Cryptocurrency - Sentinelrv
  • The Green & Gold Standard of Cryptocurrency - Locomocco
  • The Platinum Standard of Cryptocurrency - Ben
  • The Gold Standard for Sustainable Cryptocurrency - Monocle
  • The Sustainable Gold Standard for Cryptocurrency - Monocle
  • The Gold Standard for Green Cryptocurrency - Monocle
  • The Green-Gold Standard for Cryptocurrency - Monocle
  • The Green Gold of Cryptocurrency - Monocle
  • The Green Reserve Cryptocurrency - Monocle
  • The World’s Green Reserve Cryptocurrency - Monocle

I’m voting for A. It’s a simple slogan that I think will stand the test of time. Peercoin is attempting to achieve exactly what the slogan states, so I think it’s a perfect fit.

Voting A ^^^ Short and sweet. It’s the Gold that you hold.

I kind of gotten used to the slogan on /r/Peercoin, “The sustainable and secure cryptocurrency”. Maybe we can incorporate the word “Sustainable” into one of the slogans somehow?

How about: “The World’s Sustainable Reserve Cryptocurrency

EDIT: I also dislike the use of word “Gold” - I think the slogan shouldn’t be tied to a specific currency or metal, to make it timeless :slight_smile:

Hate gold/silver references… that’s just me. If we’re not pushing our green brand, we’re essentially branding around Bitcoin. I understand the logic, just not a fan.

I

Sentinelrv, you are a libertarian. The Gold Standard reference is the most appealing to libertarians and fans of the Austrian School. This is worth taking into account, of course. There is an entire segment of gold-bugs that are looking into cryptos – the same segment that follows Doug Casey, et al., and subscribes to offshore investment newsletters. Many of these guys care less about green and more about gold.

I’m not sure I like any of the tags I came up with – but I would very careful in doing away with the green or sustainable reference.

Perhaps a two part tag.

The World’s Green Standard. Something that references gold.
The Gold Standard of Cryptocurrency. Something that references sustainability.

I will need to put more thought into this before I make a choice.

I actually like our current slogan but I think it sounds more fluid saying “The secure and sustainable cryptocurrency.” than “The sustainable and secure cryptocurrency.” We could switch “sustainable” and “secure” to make it sound better. I also do not like the mention of a metal because it may create differences in opinion about gold. The current slogan is simple and straightforward. Just show what this cryptocurrency offers and let the people decide what it is for them so we don’t create different views.

If anybody thinks I posted this voting thread too fast, I can change it to a discussion thread about the slogan and we can talk about it and come up with some more variations. We can then do the voting later. Let me know. It doesn’t have to be any of these.

“The World’s First Green Currency… and we don’t mean the color”

I like H and I.

I agree. I like the current one better than any other suggested so far.

I actually do like it better switched around. It doesn’t mention being green though.

I think we need to figure out what the main message is we want to communicate about the coin. Once we know what we want people to know, then we can come up with some more options.

Do we want them to know it’s secure and sustainable? Do we want them to know it’s green? Do we want them to know it’s a long-term store of value like gold or a reserve currency? There are too many messages to fit into the slogan so we need to pick which message will impact the most amount of people.

The future of secure and sustainable cryptocurrency.

The world’s most secure and sustainable cryptocurrency.

I actually do like it better switched around. It doesn’t mention being green though.[/quote]

I thought that’s what sustainable was touching on?

I actually do like it better switched around. It doesn’t mention being green though.[/quote]

I thought that’s what sustainable was touching on?[/quote]

Yes, but newbies won’t know that unless it says green in the slogan or they read about it first.

Hey Folks

I vote for the current slogan with swapped words. I played with both secure and sustainable, vs sustainable and secure during the initial drafting, and I personally preferred the former but I think I remember a couple of others preferring the latter so that is why it is as it is now. My vote is for “secure and sustainable”

“Secure” and “sustainable” capture the entire universe of what PPC does/stands for. These two simple words together open the door to the larger discussions we are referring to without ALSO invoking the emotional baggage that terms like “gold standard” carry for many people (baggage being positive or negative.)

Secure - can refer to both ‘military security’ (eg resistance to >50% attack), also refers to the ‘trustworthiness’ of the tech, and the community (secure = trust) etc etc

Sustainable - refers to the green nature (sustainable resource use) and can also refer to the need for a reserve currency to stand the test of time. Anything that is sustainable lasts etc etc

I could say more, however I’m sure we can all see other ways to tie these two words to our core values. These two concepts together can be used by anyone to capture/explaining the essence of PPC .

Finally, lets not invite arguments that don’t further our ultimate cause. We gain nothing from inviting arguments over Keynes or the austrain school, all of that really would distract from getting folks to just try out and use the coin. This is what phrases like “gold standard” invoke. The troll box is real, the troll mentality is real, and we need to stay focused and avoid distracting arguments.

So lets keep it simple, lets use these broad enough words that capture everything we might mean, and lets band together to tell the world about PPC!

[quote=“iheartcryptocoin, post:17, topic:1044”]Hey Folks

I vote for the current slogan with swapped words. I played with both secure and sustainable, vs sustainable and secure during the initial drafting, and I personally preferred the former but I think I remember a couple of others preferring the latter so that is why it is as it is now. My vote is for “secure and sustainable”

“Secure” and “sustainable” capture the entire universe of what PPC does/stands for. These two simple words together open the door to the larger discussions we are referring to without ALSO invoking the emotional baggage that terms like “gold standard” carry for many people (baggage being positive or negative.)

Secure - can refer to both ‘military security’ (eg resistance to >50% attack), also refers to the ‘trustworthiness’ of the tech, and the community (secure = trust) etc etc

Sustainable - refers to the green nature (sustainable resource use) and can also refer to the need for a reserve currency to stand the test of time. Anything that is sustainable lasts etc etc

I could say more, however I’m sure we can all see other ways to tie these two words to our core values. These two concepts together can be used by anyone to capture/explaining the essence of PPC .

Finally, lets not invite arguments that don’t further our ultimate cause. We gain nothing from inviting arguments over Keynes or the austrain school, all of that really would distract from getting folks to just try out and use the coin. This is what phrases like “gold standard” invoke. The troll box is real, the troll mentality is real, and we need to stay focused and avoid distracting arguments.

So lets keep it simple, lets use these broad enough words that capture everything we might mean, and lets band together to tell the world about PPC![/quote]

Great arguments! I think you’ve sold me. That makes perfect sense. If everyone agrees, all we need to do is switch around sustainable and secure in our current graphics.

[quote=“iheartcryptocoin, post:17, topic:1044”]Hey Folks

So lets keep it simple, lets use these broad enough words that capture everything we might mean, and lets band together to tell the world about PPC![/quote]

+1

Here’s a crazy idea.

Cryptocurrency is too long of a word. I kind of like calling them cc’s.

If that ever catches on, we could call it.

Peercoin- The Green CC

It sort of rhymes. 8)