Peercoin Proof of Stake Minting Setup Guide

Wow, thanks for the quick reply Ben!
I’m in no huge rush… I’m stepping out for a bit but I’ll be back later tonight. :slight_smile:

I’m back- any thoughts on what might be wrong?

While you are in that folder, type: ls -al

You will find there is no file named “ppcoind” in that folder. That is why ./ppcoind (which tries to run that file) says it does not exist.

You’re in the wrong folder while typing “./ppcoind anything”

I don’t have a Mac, so I’m not sure where ppcoind lives on the hard drive, but it obviously isn’t there.

[quote=“ppcman, post:63, topic:93”]While you are in that folder, type: ls -al

You will find there is no file named “ppcoind” in that folder. That is why ./ppcoind (which tries to run that file) says it does not exist.

You’re in the wrong folder while typing “./ppcoind anything”

I don’t have a Mac, so I’m not sure where ppcoind lives on the hard drive, but it obviously isn’t there.[/quote]

When I type “ls -al”, I get a list of everything in that folder including the ppcoind.conf, wallet.dat, start.sh, et. so I know I’m in the right folder. But when I try to run any of the files (/.ppcoind and /.start.sh) it tells me “Permission denied”, despite all being listed as rw-r–r--.

You may have a lot of files in that folder.

Do you have one file specifically named just: ppcoind

If not, then it is located somewhere else. I thought that folder was the DATA folder, and ppcoind isn’t there.

By the way:

[size=12pt]/.ppcoind[/size] is incorrect, the dot is in the wrong place.

If you ls -al and see ppcoind in the same folder, then you should run:[size=12pt] ./ppcoind help[/size] (to see a list of commands for instance)

A file with rw-r–r-- means it can be READ and WRITTEN, but not EXECUTED OR HAVE THE PROGRAM RUN

It should be: rwxr-xr-x

Otherwise you could run it as: sh ./start.sh (because I’m sure that “sh” is already set to execute permissions)

We’re getting closer! Now it says:

make sure you've started ppcoin-qt first. Enter ppcoin wallet passphrase : starting ppcoind with stake mining enabled ./start.sh: line 5: ./ppcoind: Permission denied

Is your .conf file called ppcoin.conf or ppcoind.conf?

It should be the first one, not the second.

hmm
this is still very badr I think on the wallet
you should be able to simply click unencrypt wallet from functions, enter password and that frees up wallet and starts minting

but you can’t

is there still this crazy process to do this?
thanks for any help
haven’t ben around since the early days 8)

Agreed, it’s something that we recognize needs to be improved.

I’m in the process of working on a wallet interface concept, and PoS will be integrated in with it.

Make sure you have a firewall on your Linux PC
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UncomplicatedFirewall

[quote=“Ben, post:69, topic:93”]Agreed, it’s something that we recognize needs to be improved.

I’m in the process of working on a wallet interface concept, and PoS will be integrated in with it.[/quote]

that will be awesome, keep us updated, we are from bitcoinmalaysia.com

[quote=“Ben, post:69, topic:93”]Agreed, it’s something that we recognize needs to be improved.

I’m in the process of working on a wallet interface concept, and PoS will be integrated in with it.[/quote]

great
good to hear, needs coming soon

as peercoin is a truly great coin, great logo, great rename, great community
but has possibly worst wallet in existence

doesnt inspire confidence and as people SEE the wallet, at least , at the very least needs to be functional rather than just a bitcoin bodge
how about some eye candy?

look at the megacoin wallet for example. it’s outstanding
http://www.megacoin.co.nz/guides

I’ll definitely check out the Megacoin wallet, thanks for the heads up.

Guido is the same person that tried to sell peercoin.com to Sunny King (look at his past post), so he’s a little sore that he didn’t get paid for it. Originally the rumor was he wanted 300,000 PPC. Now he wants 50 BTC as of Oct 28th. That’s $40,000 USD with BTC at $800

Guido is now talking about a different coin’s wallet. Sounds like spam and his post should be moderated out of the discussion in my opinion.

Back to the original issue.

I tested my 0.30 beta wallet on Windows, and yes, when it is unlocked for minting, it is also unlocked for transfers too.

Now before everyone jumps to conclusions, READ what it actually says:

“Wallet is encrypted and currently unlocked for block minting purposes only”

The problem here, is that it shouldn’t say “only”. It should say:

“Wallet is encrypted and currently unlocked. Block minting enabled”

So yes, while you are minting, your wallet is unlocked. But the only thing that can transfer your coins is some running process on your computer. You shouldn’t have any malware on your computer in the first place.

Let’s say your wallet.dat is encrypted, locked, and you are not minting.

Someone gets into your computer, and installs malware or a rootkit that:

a) Records your keystrokes (keylogger)
b) a copy of your encrypted wallet.dat file sent to them.

Then of course they could steal your coins, with a locked wallet or not. This is true with ALL COINS, including Bitcoin, Litecoin, ANY COIN

Please people, stop freaking out just because your wallet is unlocked while minting. The point, is that your wallet is still encrypted. If you believe that someone has your passphrase because of a keylogger, it is already too late. Leaving your wallet locked isn’t going to help you much if someone has your passphrase to your secret key and access to your hard drive files.

Perhaps Sunny King might have something new for the 0.4 release he’s in the middle of finishing. I don’t know. But believe me, all coins have this same vulnerability.

…and to Guido, please stop spamming the forums recommending other coins on posts. Try to stay on topic about the discussion at hand and not find ways to promote your other holdings in different coins.

In Guido’s defense, the suggestion to review Megacoin’s wallet was a good one, because they have made improvements over the bitcoin-qt and similar forked clients. I learned a few things and have additional information to throw at the design problem that I’ve taken on.

Re:, PoS unlocking: I don’t agree that it’s just a labeling issue – that may be a way to make it more clear, temporarily, but I see no reason that PoS mining should affect wallet transfers.

You are right, if your system is secure, this isn’t a major concern. On the other hand, crypto right now suffers from a number of myths and fallacies, many of them centered on “hackers who are going to steal your coins out from under you”. You may know that this isn’t a likely scenario and I may know the same, but as Peercoin gains a larger audience, if we want it to succeed, we’re going to need to do everything in our power to assure people that it’s safe to use.

The jury is still out if their wallet is secure in the long term.

Most programmers will tell you, the more features you add, the more opportunities for bugs to creep up and exist.

I took a look, and could imagine what possibilities lie ahead for Peercoin too. But it immediately hit me. It could be just a matter of time before their wallet is exploited in one way or another.

I know it’s open source, but sometimes exploits are not reported by black hat people who discover and then use them. Bug in their wallet could totally kill that other coin. Time will see. Give it 6 months to a year to find out.

Sunny is aware of the issues discussed and is working on them.

I could go on and on about why PPC’s network is better than that other coin, but this isn’t the place for that type of debate.

We could also go on and on a feature comparison between wallets, but this isn’t the place for that either.

This topic post is titled “Peercoin Proof of Stake Minting Setup Guide”

…Not… “Why XYZ’s wallet looks prettier and has more functions than Peercoin”

You are right, for that discussion, kindly visit this topic:

Now to return you to you regularly scheduled setup guide topic.

[quote=“brenzi, post:16, topic:93”]please don’t supply your passphrase on the command line! Your terminal will remember the command for a while.

I use a little bash script that slightly improves this security hole:

#!/bin/bash
echo "make sure you've started ppcoin-qt first."
read -s -p "Enter ppcoin wallet passphrase  : " passphrase
echo "starting ppcoind with stake mining enabled"
ppcoind walletpassphrase $passphrase 9999999 true

and make sure you’ve created the ppcoin.conf file as described earlier.

enjoy stake minting[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, Brenzi. I would like to add that users may have difficulty with this script if their passphrases contain spaces in them, though. By adding quotation marks around the variable $passphrase, this problem should go away:

#!/bin/bash
echo "make sure you've started ppcoin-qt first."
read -s -p "Enter ppcoin wallet passphrase  : " passphrase
echo "starting ppcoind with stake mining enabled"
ppcoind walletpassphrase "$passphrase" 9999999 true

Is there a mirror for the PoS setup on windows?
I see bitcointalk is down, I’ll search around on these forums, I’d assume there would be a version here since it’s about peercoin :slight_smile:

thanks

Hi,

I am minting my wallet for some 2 days now but I see nothing in the stake balance and there is no such thing as a meter or anything. For how long should I mint / how do I know its enough? When I see stake generated?

thanks