Peercoin Proof of Stake Minting Setup Guide

[quote=“arisg, post:80, topic:93”]Hi,

I am minting my wallet for some 2 days now but I see nothing in the stake balance and there is no such thing as a meter or anything. For how long should I mint / how do I know its enough? When I see stake generated?

thanks[/quote]
I have this same problem. Over 48 hours of minting, no results, and I have many years of coin-age. Hovering over the lock icon shows, “wallet is encrypted and currently unlocked for block minting only.” Any ideas?

It takes patience, as it’s somewhat random. Finally got 0.25PPC last night via minting and it’s taken a fair bit of time.

Now that bitcoin talk is back up I was able to figure out the PoS mining.
So if I just make sure I open the wallet up once every 30 days or show, I’ll get the benefits and help the network at the same time?

Hello everyone. I have up and running unlocked ppcoind, my last transaction was at block 79359 http://ppc.cryptocoinexplorer.com/block/1115fea8852e1a70bd85dbd9adad6b278a08af83e3de1a91264a6926ff6b7d9e but

“newmint” : 0.00000000,
“stake” : 0.00000000,

What should I check to get PoS minting started?

The ‘stake’ field in the ppcoin getinfo output shows the currency amount you’ve currently staked to protect the network. This amount is subject to a holding period of a 520-block maturity window before you can use it again (i.e. returns to your balance after 520 new blocks).

Should I use reservebalance command to start minting?

Set reserve amount not participating in network protection.

Ok. I shouldn’t. But why do my stake field is 0.00000000? How do I make a stake, which according to help will return to me after 520 blocks?

I’m on linux with only ppcoind daemon, if that does matters.

Tried to run ppcoind with -daemon -debug -printcoinstake -printtoconsole got some info but still don’t understand what’s going on. What nMaxClockDrift and nStakeSplitAge variables are used for? Halp.

[quote=“Ben, post:49, topic:93”]Oh, and one other thing, I ran into the issue where I kept getting an error when I had to enter my passphrase. It turns out that ppcoind doesn’t like it when you have special characters or spaces in your passphrase, so if you have anything unique in yours, you may want to replace it with something that isn’t a special character or a space.

Let me know how it goes. :)[/quote]

hey ben, if you use the start bash script, posted later in this thread, it solves that problem.

Also that can be solved by putting a \ in front of the special character.

Thanks, Merockstar. I’ll update the Mac tutorial and correct that in the start script.

the start script is fine as is.

but if you do it from a command line without the start script, put the \ in front of special characters

[quote=“lofty, post:58, topic:93”]after running $pwd I get: /Library/Application Support/PPCoin

then after $ ls -la:

drwxr-xr-x 4 ~~~ admin 136 Nov 15 10:03 .
drwxr-xr-x 24 root admin 816 Nov 15 09:58 …
-rw-r–r--@ 1 ~~~ admin 6148 Nov 15 06:25 .DS_Store
-rw-r–r--@ 1 ~~~ staff 154 Nov 15 10:03 ppcoin.conf

I’ve only covered the name of the machine - not even sure if that matters. Ben do you ever sleep? ;)[/quote]

Hey Lofty,

I had the same issue with the PPCoin.conf file. All the changes given where performed and was not able to keep the wallet encrypted and minting at the same time.

An easy solution was found:

1. The main issue was the .CONF file being read as .TXT. Did try to save it as CONF but still being recognized and TXT.
  2. Look for another .CONF file from any other application. i.e. Volumen.conf
  3. Opened the PPCOIN.CONF (the one with the problem as TXT) and used the other file i.e. Volumen.conf (as “bait”) to save as the PPCOIN.CONF under the name of “Volumen.conf” within the folder %appdata% /ppcoin.
  4. This will result on having two files:
    ppcoin.conf (the TXT one)
    Volumen.conf (a real conf one)
  5. Rename the Volumen.conf to ppcoin.conf
  6. Now you have two files called ppcoin.conf (one is a real CONF file and the other is TXT). You can keep both, or delete the TXT one.
  7. Run again your wallet and the minting bath file after.

This will do the trick (did it on my wallet).

Any question, send me a reply.

Happy minting.

My understanding is that I need to post replies twice before I can post a thread to the forum. I’m currently running PPCoin-Qt and the lock icon is showing as my wallet is encrypted. If I hover over the lock icon I get the message “Wallet is encrypted and currently unlocked for block minting only.” ppcoind is not running currently. My peercoins are freshly mined and only recently transferred to my wallet. My stake shows as 0.00 in the wallet. How “old” do my coins need to be to start minting? Does ppcoind need to be running to mint? I used the .conf file listed as an example in the OS X set up listed elsewhere on the forum. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

30 days. If you see “Wallet is encrypted and currently unlocked for block minting only” you have done everything right and just have to wait.

Thanks. I figured but I couldn’t find anything that stated that clearly.

Thanks for this post, fricken difficult to understand the whole minting process but I’m setting up the conf file now.

Maybe I’ll see some interest in a few weeks…or months haha

Guys, I’m new to this type of coin.

I picked encrypt wallet and now it says “Minting suspended due to locked wallet”

Does this mean I can’t recieve or send ppcoins?

I just bought some coins and just want to it to be there and get some intrest, do I have to do anything additional perhaps do this minting process?

Thanks for all the help

[quote=“Baltsar, post:93, topic:93”]Guys, I’m new to this type of coin.

I picked encrypt wallet and now it says “Minting suspended due to locked wallet”

Does this mean I can’t recieve or send ppcoins?

I just bought some coins and just want to it to be there and get some intrest, do I have to do anything additional perhaps do this minting process?

Thanks for all the help[/quote]
You can still receive and send PPCs but minting is not active, see here: http://peercoin.net/minting and this very thread. There are good hints here already. In short: unlock it for minting with the “ppcoind walletpassphrase” way, then wait >=30 days.

For the majority of users, the best option for a Peercoin wallet is now Peerunity. It has more features than the standard client, and is also much easier to use (especially for minting).

Download it here: http://peercoin.net/download-peerunity

Read about Peerunity and FAQs: http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2902.0

To mint using Peerunity:

Minting is now very easy. All you need to do is enable it in your client, and leave your client running with a connection to the Peercoin network. To start with, make sure you have encrypted your client with a strong passphrase that you will not lose. You will now need to get some coins in your wallet!

Then simply press the “Unlock Wallet for Minting Only” button, enter your passphrase and press OK.

You can check you are minting by looking at the little padlock in the bottom right corner of the client. It should now be unlocked. If you hover your mouse over it, it should say “Wallet is encypted and currently unlocked for block minting only”.

How long it takes you to mint a block will depend on how many coins you have. Here’s a handy tool to work out your chances: http://poscalculator.peercointalk.org/ (The current POS difficulty can be found by entering the command [font=courier]getdifficulty[/font] into the debug console of Peerunity…go to help -> debug window -> console).

Hi

Was wondering if it is possible to mint using the Android app or with an Android phone?

Thanks

[quote=“peritonlogon, post:96, topic:93”]Hi

Was wondering if it is possible to mint using the Android app or with an Android phone?

Thanks[/quote]

No.

If and how it could be implemented is currently beeing discussed in this thread:

Ok got a question re this. I have a few hundred PPC smallest Coinday is 59 and highest is 172. I have followed the conf instructions and Wallet has been unlocked for minting but have never managed to get a stake even though some coins were mined about 2 years ago - what am I doing wrong? (I am using PeerUnity)

if your outputs are over 59 days old you can use

I think findstakejs.peercointalk.org

to get the exact time when a future mint will occur

You simply don’t have enough coins. Get yourself 1,000 PPC now :).