Peercoin on Raspberry Pi

edit: on second thought, don’t do this. I’m already running nodes. Use these coins to entice new people. Sorry for the spam.

Any chance you’d extend the bounty to people that run full nodes on other hardware? I run full nodes for ppc and other coins on virtuals on a smartos box. It’s currently down because smartos smartmachines are based on solaris and bitcoin (and thus ppcoind) needs some extra love to build on solaris and I’ve been dragging my feet with getting 0.4.0 built.

No hard feelings either way. I’ll get my node back up and running. I just thought I’d try to claim some free coins in the process!

Congratulations penzoiders! I sent you the tip.

Not that I know of. Everyone seems to be having problems with that site.

[quote=“multimode, post:61, topic:2353”]edit: on second thought, don’t do this. I’m already running nodes. Use these coins to entice new people. Sorry for the spam.

Any chance you’d extend the bounty to people that run full nodes on other hardware? I run full nodes for ppc and other coins on virtuals on a smartos box. It’s currently down because smartos smartmachines are based on solaris and bitcoin (and thus ppcoind) needs some extra love to build on solaris and I’ve been dragging my feet with getting 0.4.0 built.

No hard feelings either way. I’ll get my node back up and running. I just thought I’d try to claim some free coins in the process! [/quote]

No problem, feel free to post it if you want, I’m happy to send you the tip.

Thanks for running the nodes! I’m not sure about extending the bounty. I wouldn’t have a problem with it but it would need a solid method of verifying the node, and maybe a setup guide. NewMoneyEra would also have to agree to it as he has donated the funds.

My PPC address is PCs6naWWDtE7b37T3qKc8PQtbWkRyLWmCm Thanks.

Latest news about my Raspberry Pi full node : we reached 65 connections today.

top data : ~30% CPU / ~31% MEM for ppcoin-qt process.

Network stats for yesterday :

[tt] rx | tx | total | avg. rate
------------------------±------------±------------±--------------
yesterday 9.97 MiB | 50.27 MiB | 60.24 MiB | 5.71 kbit/s[/tt]

For those interested, here is the geolocated map of all the peers connected to my Raspberry Pi:

http://batchgeo.com/map/810eca6ff87edf21b0eaaf5251fc5fb1

[quote=“mably, post:65, topic:2353”]Latest news about my Raspberry Pi full node : we reached 65 connections today.

yesterday 9.97 MiB | 50.27 MiB | 60.24 MiB | 5.71 kbit/s[/tt][/quote]

[quote=“mably, post:66, topic:2353”]For those interested, here is the geolocated map of all the peers connected to my Raspberry Pi:

http://batchgeo.com/map/810eca6ff87edf21b0eaaf5251fc5fb1[/quote]

Hey Thanks Mably :slight_smile:

I applaud you for all the great feedback you are giving.

NewMoneyEra :slight_smile:

It took 48 hours to setup and update but finally working :slight_smile:

Address: PWHgQc4ATzmxPiFNx28M7irAX5amniwfXG

Do we get a tip on each node we setup ? :stuck_out_tongue: … I have a couple of RPis laying around and might put them to good use to run as full nodes under different ports or more likely will set them up at my friends’ places.

[quote=“mably, post:65, topic:2353”]Latest news about my Raspberry Pi full node : we reached 65 connections today.

can you tell me which tool you used to print these info?
I’ll share mine too. just converted to full shell node and configured memory split to 16 to free more resources.

I wanted to analyze the daily traffic.

thanks

[quote=“penzoiders, post:69, topic:2353”][quote=“mably, post:65, topic:2353”]Latest news about my Raspberry Pi full node : we reached 65 connections today.

can you tell me which tool you used to print these info?
I’ll share mine too. just converted to full shell node and configured memory split to 16 to free more resources.

I wanted to analyze the daily traffic.

thanks[/quote]

I’m using the top command for CPU and MEM usage and the vnstat app to monitor bandwith usage.

Check this page for installation and usage information :
http://humanlanguage.wordpress.com/2009/01/12/install-bandwidth-monitor-vnstat-on-ubuntu/

[quote=“mably, post:70, topic:2353”]I’m using the top command for CPU and MEM usage and the vnstat app to monitor bandwith usage.

Check this page for installation and usage information :
http://humanlanguage.wordpress.com/2009/01/12/install-bandwidth-monitor-vnstat-on-ubuntu/[/quote]

thanks, I missed vnstat, now I’ll take a look.
can I ask you also how you how you extract data to paste them in batchgeo.com?

I suppose something starting as:

netstat -A inet -n -p | egrep '*:9901'

if you scripted a command to clean the output I’d like to use it (yes, I know I’m lazy ;))

Hi IndigoMan,

Congratulations! ;D on creating your Peercoin on Raspberry Pi node! ;D

We currently have a one person one tip policy, but, if you were to help your friends set up RPi Peercoin nodes at their places and become members of the forum here, then that should qualify for a tip for each of them.

If you really want to help your friends you can explain to them how Bitcoin was only $2 just a couple of years ago and since Peercoin is a more advanced design, the long term prospects for Peercoin are very promising. It’s like a super magical whiz-bang new high-tech future piggy bank. Peercoin may provide their retirement? Stranger things have happened.

You perhaps could tell your friends that getting some Peercoin now is like investing in Microsoft in 1980 before investors were allowed. It’s like investing in the Internet in 1990 before hardly anyone knew about it, and before it became what it is today. It’s like investing in Google, or Facebook, before their IPOs. And, what does this remarkable investment cost? Almost nothing.

You might get your friends so interested that they will buy your Raspberry Pi’s from you so you can use that money to buy a couple more! Rinse and Repeat! :wink: ;D

Again, Congratulations to you on earning your tip! :slight_smile:

NewMoneyEra

P.S. Today Peercoin roughly reminds me of when Gavin Andresen bought 10,000 BTC for $50 dollars and started the first faucet to give BTC away because people did not yet understand its value :wink:

Nice to see lots of new nodes still springing up. I’ll have the tips sent out in a few hours, just away from my computer at the moment.

I have setup a simple static page to extract using javascript all the IP addresses from the getpeerinfo JSON output:

http://cryptocities.appspot.com/extractpeerinfoip.html

The mandatory screenshot:

Hope it helps.

To get a list of IP addresses your Peercoin daemon is currently connected to, you could run from terminal:

ppcoind getpeerinfo | sed -n 's/^.*"addr" : "\([^:]*\):.*".*$/\1/p'

Next, head over to http://batchgeo.com/ or use geoiplookup.

Congratulations to esuncloud and IndigoMan, your tips have been sent.

I think that makes 13 tips in total so far ;D

[quote=“river333, post:76, topic:2353”]Congratulations to esuncloud and IndigoMan, your tips have been sent.

I think that makes 13 tips in total so far ;D[/quote]

Thank you river333 … I confirm receiving the tip :slight_smile:

Hi IndigoMan,

Congratulations! ;D on creating your Peercoin on Raspberry Pi node! ;D

We currently have a one person one tip policy, but, if you were to help your friends set up RPi Peercoin nodes at their places and become members of the forum here, then that should qualify for a tip for each of them.

If you really want to help your friends you can explain to them how Bitcoin was only $2 just a couple of years ago and since Peercoin is a more advanced design, the long term prospects for Peercoin are very promising. It’s like a super magical whiz-bang new high-tech future piggy bank. Peercoin may provide their retirement? Stranger things have happened.

You perhaps could tell your friends that getting some Peercoin now is like investing in Microsoft in 1980 before investors were allowed. It’s like investing in the Internet in 1990 before hardly anyone knew about it, and before it became what it is today. It’s like investing in Google, or Facebook, before their IPOs. And, what does this remarkable investment cost? Almost nothing.

You might get your friends so interested that they will buy your Raspberry Pi’s from you so you can use that money to buy a couple more! Rinse and Repeat! :wink: ;D

Again, Congratulations to you on earning your tip! :slight_smile:

NewMoneyEra

P.S. Today Peercoin roughly reminds me of when Gavin Andresen bought 10,000 BTC for $50 dollars and started the first faucet to give BTC away because people did not yet understand its value ;)[/quote]

It’ll be difficult to introduce them to cryptocurrency but i’ll try. Worst case scenario, i’ll just simplfy and tell them invest in a raspberry pi and the 10 PPC tip that i’ll set up and hold for them and then they come to me for return on investment a year later or whenever they want to cash out lol

I came by this about a week ago and did more research on peercoin. I’m glad this oppurtnity is still open. This is the coin to invest in IMO and if it only takes a pi to both start an investment and to support the network. then here you go :dance:

P8dSsNkpReBgjvz6qn2KTaYkk1DFbcKoiC

I wish there was more marketing though. I had to dig most of the stuff i read from various places. The point that attracted me the most and what I think should be the focus of marketing is the word Backbone currency. I believe that’s what needs to be highlighted over and over and repeated and explained to the average joe.

Best of luck everyone.

Great, your tip has been sent. Congratulations :pbjt:

Yes, marketing is a problem. Hopefully things are improving a bit now with the video etc. but more active contributors are still needed. Thanks for the suggestion.