Peercoin.net: Homepage

For some reason, I cannot upload the image, but I hope my above description is sufficient

The green buttons under Consumers, Investors, Merchants, etc. say “get started” - I am wondering whether they should say “learn more”. It seems premature to say “get started” on the home page. We must assume visitors are newcomers

Thanks for the feedback, will try to address all of those issues in the next version. I will start on it now.

Ok, I think I addressed everything, if I forgot something, I blame the neighbour that decided to use his weed whacker on a Sunday morning.
Please note that this is a responsive website, so making anything pixel perfect is nearly impossible, the goal here is to make the site look good on all screen sizes.

http://igor-rinkovec.from.hr/clients/peercoin/

My two cents:

Left-align the leaves? Note that I am looking at the mobile version for these recommendations. Leaves already left-aligned on desktop mode.

Vertical-align the “Why Peercoin” description text. Now that it’s one line, it’s too high.

Are the five “Consumers” etc. points going to have images? Also, Consumers and Investors text are running into each other.

All the buttons say “Learn More.” Maybe the 5 at the bottom should say “Get Started.”

Remove “Peercoin is” from below Built to Last. Sentinel was right about it being too long.

Leaf #2 is going to be too long as well. Let’s try this text:

Fair Distribution
Announced 9 days before launch.

I think 4 leaves is looking good. Open to feedback on the content, as well. I think we’re getting closer!

If they do have icons, I feel they should be gray.

I believe this was changed because of Robert’s comments above. They actually did say “Get Started” before they were changed.

I agree that it looks better with 4, but I still feel 5 would be perfect, since there’s still a little bit of space left. If one more was to be added, the energy efficient subtitle should be changed to refer to specifically to energy. I like this…

Energy Efficient
Network can run on low-grade hardware.

Truly Decentralized
Mint Peercoins on any type of device.

I feel these two points go better when used together. It’s truly decentralized because the network can be run on low-grade hardware, allowing you to mint Peercoins on any type of device. I’ve seen people saying that they could care less about energy efficiency. Somehow they don’t make the connection that this allows the network to be more decentralized. I feel using these two points back to back will help them make that connection more easily. I also changed the subtitle to “Mint Peercoins on any type of device.” to make it a little bit longer, so it would fit the length of the other subtitles. What do you think of this Chronos?

TheWildHorse, “protocol” needs to be capitalized. Also, is it possible to move the Peercoin text and subtitle down a tad closer to the green buttons? Or maybe the gold coin needs to be moved up? Not sure. Something just seems too high or low there.

To save TheWildHorse a headache, if me and Chronos differ, go with what Chronos says

If I feel strongly, I will come back and ask Chronos to take a second look

In the meantime, Chronos, check out my thoughts, earlier in this thread, about the “Get started” labels. It sounds like I am splitting hairs, but how about “Getting started”?

The requested changes will be done in revision V2.0. When the revision batch is complete it will be posted as a new topic in this subforum.
ETA: +4 hours after this post

I really like the additional “leaf point” about fair distribution and think it’s a very important distinguishing feature to highlight:

Fair Distribution Announced 9 days before launch.

However, I wonder if newcomers will appreciate the significance of the announcement timing in it’s historical context. Compared to the explosion of insta-mine altcoins in the early days, I think the standard for legitimate new coins these days has risen considerably. A newcomer may interpret “9 days” as incredibly short and “unfair” compared to the widely promoted crowdsales occurring more recently.

As an alternative, I think this would be an excellent opportunity to suggest the fairness of PoW over other forms distribution. Perhaps the wording could be changed to:

Fair Distribution No insider presale or instant mining

You’re right about the “9 days” part. Changed to, “No insider pre-sale or instant mining.”

TWH, the Fair Distribution text is ready to be updated (see previous post).

Also, should the price ticker be working on staging? I can’t think of a reason that we shouldn’t wire it up now.

Next, the horizontal spacing between Newcomers and Investors is too little, and the words are running into each other.

The “Learn More” button should lead to the Investors page.

The “Why Peercoin?” button should lead to the Investors page.

The “Miners” button should lead to the Mining page.

Does the newsletter signup button do anything, yet?

Lastly, Can we vertically align the “Get Started” buttons? The “Developers” tagline is three lines in the desktop view, which puts it lower than the other buttons.

Thanks!

Hi, TheWildHorse

When I have my window maximised, so it fills up my monitor screen, the homepage looks as you likely intend - but when I have my window not filling up the while screen (so I can see icons and other applications behind, etc.), the peercoin video doubles in size and becomes too big to sit to the right of the “leaf” bullet points (which is where it sits when my window is maximised).

Is it possible to “fix” the size of the video, so it remains in place?

To give you an idea of what I see, when my screen is maximised, the video is 6 by 4 inches. When I “de-maximise” my window, so I have an inch of so of “space” around it, the video increases to about 10 by 6 inches.

Regarding the black (or dark grey) horizontal bar on home page, which features the gold logo, the Peercoin name, and market data, I think it would look better if the word “Peercoin” was in the centre (with “The secure & sustainable cryptocoin” and two green buttons underneath, as at present), flanked on the left by the gold logo (as it currently is) and flanked on the right, by the market data

This would keep the word “Peercoin” in the centre and balance it, on the left and right respectively, by the logo and market data

It would also have the advantage of reducing the vertical depth of the black bar, and so bring the rest of the page up a bit

[quote=“RobertLloyd, post:33, topic:2716”]Is it possible to “fix” the size of the video, so it remains in place?

To give you an idea of what I see, when my screen is maximised, the video is 6 by 4 inches. When I “de-maximise” my window, so I have an inch of so of “space” around it, the video increases to about 10 by 6 inches.[/quote]
The purpose of the resizing video is to present an optimal experience for users on tablets and mobile phones.

When the video becomes huge, that’s because it moves down below the four leaf points. Perhaps the threshold for “too squeezed, move down” should just be reduced.

The title Development has gone back to Developers. It should be “Development”.

The problem with “Developers” is that it suggests that the page is for developers, but that page should be for everyone. We need all users to see it, to know Peercoin has a future

“Development” is inclusive and will lure everybody in, both developers and non-developers, but “Developers” risks acting as a no entry sign, to anyone is not a developer

[quote=“RobertLloyd, post:36, topic:2716”]The title Development has gone back to Developers. It should be “Development”.

The problem with “Developers” is that it suggests that the page is for developers, but that page should be for everyone. We need all users to see it, to know Peercoin has a future

“Development” is inclusive and will lure everybody in, both developers and non-developers, but “Developers” risks acting as a no entry sign, to anyone is not a developer[/quote]
On this point, I disagree. “Developers” is congruent with the other titles, since it’s a user group. It’s the only grammatically-consistent option. If the visitor is interested in current development, I think they’ll probably visit this page no matter which title it has.

I lowered the responsiveness threshold for the video and bullets as much as I could.

I also fixed those few text errors and the texts overlapping in user types.

Do you want me to create some icons for each user type?

If you do, I’d make sure they’re all one color, maybe gray or green.

I’m going to implement the blog first, if you have any ideas for them, leave them below and I’ll get on it.