Peercoin.net: Headers & Footers

[quote=“RobertLloyd, post:40, topic:2812”]At the top menu, we have “Wallet”

Should this not read “Wallets”? Plural is accurate, and sounds more dynamic[/quote]
How about “Downloads”?

I think we are safer with Wallets - simply because they are wallets

Edit: if the website offers other things (Peerbox?) then “downloads” would probably be better

[quote=“RobertLloyd, post:42, topic:2812”]I think we are safer with Wallets - simply because they are wallets

Edit: if the website offers other things (Peerbox?) then “downloads” would probably be better[/quote]
I’m fine with “Downloads” or “Wallets”. The homepage has a big “Download Wallet” button, so visitors searching for wallets will not have trouble finding them, either way. Let’s go with “Downloads” since it’s a common menu heading, unless we hear from people who strongly prefer the other. Anyone else want to chime in?

I would say wallets as well. We can always change it if we decide to offer other downloads.

Fine with me. “Wallets” it is. TWH, make it so!

I forgot Peerunity. That should be highlighted as well, since it’s always in active development.

TWH, here are the different logos again for each project…

Peerunity: http://www.mediafire.com/download/b7zrummbf57a30u/Peerunity_Logo_Files.zip
Peershares: http://www.mediafire.com/download/tds8wezrgusfkrs/Peershares_Logo_Files.zip
NuBits: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/Sentinelrv/Other-Images/NuBitsNewsletterClip2.png~original

For Peerbox, we’re in the middle of choosing a logo. It’s most likely going to be this one, but I’d wait until it’s official. After that I’ll have the graphics package made up.[/quote]

Ok, here are the logos for Peerbox to be included on the development page…

http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=3317.msg31797#msg31797

[quote=“Chronos, post:43, topic:2812”][quote=“RobertLloyd, post:42, topic:2812”]I think we are safer with Wallets - simply because they are wallets

Edit: if the website offers other things (Peerbox?) then “downloads” would probably be better[/quote]
I’m fine with “Downloads” or “Wallets”. The homepage has a big “Download Wallet” button, so visitors searching for wallets will not have trouble finding them, either way. Let’s go with “Downloads” since it’s a common menu heading, unless we hear from people who strongly prefer the other. Anyone else want to chime in?[/quote]

When I woke up this morning, I thought of a new way of approaching this: Resources

Resources would replace Wallets on the header menu, and be a drop-down. Wallets would become the first option under Resources. The second option would be a new page called Tools, which would include links to online tools (e.g. block explorers) and downloads other than wallets.

A tools page is something the website lacks, and this arrangement would resolve that. It would also give us flexibility for the future, since if we develop entirely new facilities, beyond wallets and tools, we can add a further option under Resources

A minor point, but I also think it would be pleasing aesthetically to have drop-downs for all the header menus - at the moment, Wallet sits by itself as a single button

A Tools page would mean some more work for Chronos, as each link/download would need a sentence introducing/describing it

A disadvantage is that we lose the visibility of the direct wallet button but, as Chronos points out, we still have one at the top of the Homepage

[quote=“RobertLloyd, post:47, topic:2812”][quote=“Chronos, post:43, topic:2812”][quote=“RobertLloyd, post:42, topic:2812”]I think we are safer with Wallets - simply because they are wallets

I’m fine with “Downloads” or “Wallets”. The homepage has a big “Download Wallet” button, so visitors searching for wallets will not have trouble finding them, either way. Let’s go with “Downloads” since it’s a common menu heading, unless we hear from people who strongly prefer the other. Anyone else want to chime in?[/quote]

When I woke up this morning, I thought of a new way of approaching this: Resources

Resources would replace Wallets on the header menu, and be a drop-down. Wallets would become the first option under Resources. The second option would be a new page called Tools, which would include links to online tools (e.g. block explorers) and downloads other than wallets.

A tools page is something the website lacks, and this arrangement would resolve that. It would also give us flexibility for the future, since if we develop entirely new facilities, beyond wallets and tools, we can add a further option under Resources

A minor point, but I also think it would be pleasing aesthetically to have drop-downs for all the header menus - at the moment, Wallet sits by itself as a single button

A Tools page would mean some more work for Chronos, as each link/download would need a sentence introducing/describing it

A disadvantage is that we lose the visibility of the direct wallet button but, as Chronos points out, we still have one at the top of the Homepage[/quote]

I was about to post a thread about needing a Resources page for tools like Peerchain, but you beat me to it. This sounds great.

Hm, good idea. I think this could be worth the extra effort.

What about a Resources dropdown with these links? Each of the below would be its own page.

[ul][li]Wallets – current wallets page[/li]
[li]Block Explorers – A page describing what a block explorer is, with links to blockr.io, peerchain.net, etc.[/li]
[li]Peerbox – a page describing Peerbox, with a link to http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2932.0 (later, to its dedicated website, once that is available)[/li][/ul]

Thoughts?

Adding Peerbox is an excellent idea - a link to peerchemist’s thread is a good workaround

Regarding block explorers, the two that come to my mind are peerchain.co (a dedicated PPC block explorer) and blockr.io (which accommodates other coins)

And peerchain.net for people wanting a wider view of the block chain

There are also other tools that are linked from this thread…

http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=4.0

Not everything is a block explorer, so I don’t think we should have a specific page just for that. Here is just one example of a different tool. I was thinking maybe having a “Tools” page like Robert said and set it up like the resources page on the current website with different categories for related tools and places to get information like prices or network statistics. Each category could have its own description and all the related links listed underneath that.

The new page would exclude everything that is covered on other pages, for example info about exchanges and mining pools. We also don’t want to keep the retailer list here, because it’s not fair to the ones who aren’t listed. The retailer list will become too large to manage anyway.

Here is another idea. I think the “Community” drop down menu should only display the PeercoinTalk forum and Reddit, since they’re both communities. Everything else listed there doesn’t fit. Instead, another drop down menu should be created called “Media.” This should contain places to get Peercoin news, which includes our social media accounts, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and YouTube. When the news blog is implemented, that can be included in this drop down menu.

I would like a new page as well under this drop down menu for “Articles & Interviews.” This would contain Peercoin specific articles, like the one from Cointrader. It would also contain the interviews we have with Sunny. These interviews are gold, especially the 2nd one. It would be great for visitors to be able to read the thoughts of the architect and his reasons for designing the coin the way he did. I’m not sure if the interviews should be transferred to the website, or if they should just link to the forum threads.

One other idea is something ppcman originally wanted, which is a press kit for news organizations looking to do a story. I don’t know what this would consist of though. Any ideas? How does the press contact us for interviews and such. So far they’ve messaged the Facebook account, Twitter or contacted Sunny directly. Maybe we should make it easier though, something directly on the website like an email address for the press, not sure.

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:51, topic:2812”]There are also other tools that are linked from this thread…

http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=4.0

Not everything is a block explorer, so I don’t think we should have a specific page just for that. Here is just one example of a different tool. I was thinking maybe having a “Tools” page like Robert said and set it up like the resources page on the current website with different categories for related tools and places to get information like prices or network statistics. Each category could have its own description and all the related links listed underneath that.

The new page would exclude everything that is covered on other pages, for example info about exchanges and mining pools. We also don’t want to keep the retailer list here, because it’s not fair to the ones who aren’t listed. The retailer list will become too large to manage anyway.[/quote]

Besides the stuff in that link, we could also put the marketing tools on this page, logo files, business cards, the conference presentation Chronos made, etc… These could probably just link to the forum threads that are linked to from this thread…

http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2885.0

I think Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, etc. are best positioned under “Community”, because they are social media. They form a social collective. To me, “media” is more formal - the press, TV, news websites, etc.

I think the News Blog could perhaps have its own standalone button, since that will be the main draw for non-forum people to revisit the site.

I agree with a press kit, but think this should be an option under “Learn More”

I agree with the title “Tools” rather than “Block Explorers”, in case we want to include other things, like the Faucet, etc

What about the articles and interviews page I mentioned? Or maybe call it Press & Interviews? Besides Sunny’s interviews, we’ve been talked about by mainstream press like the New York Times and other publications. I know other websites have something dedicated to show they’re serious and being talked about by the media. We don’t really have dedicated articles yet though, except for the Cointrader one. We have articles that talk more about Bitcoin’s competition and mention us.

+1 for a press kit.

If I look for a list of places where I can spend my peercoins, where do I go? Consumers (Beginners?) or Merchants?
The staging site gives 404 now.