Peercoin.net: Headers & Footers

[quote=“RobertLloyd, post:20, topic:2812”]Won’t Peerunity confuse the issue? The Core Protocol is Sunny’s client and (I presume) important developments will be transferred across

Localised Peerunity development is covered on the Wallet page[/quote]

The point of including it here would be to first explain what Peerunity is and then to direct potential interested developers to the Peerunity board so they can get involved.

Remember how hard it was to get anything updated before current initiative by chronos? Unless there is a long-term mechanism implemented – using wiki, assigning someone to periodically update, using dynamic contents etc. – contents describing activities will fall out of date as quickly as activity happens. These outdated contents become an eyesore to otherwise nice pages, and shows that these pages were’t build to last.

Peer4commit itself, Peerunity, Android wallet … if the page can be updated.

I am thinking getting peer4commit.com to add a recent activity information page, e.g. top 5 most active projects, and display that dynamic information in a subframe box. Ideally it shows projects big and small, in various stages.

Remember how hard it was to get anything updated before current initiative by chronos? Unless there is a long-term mechanism implemented – using wiki, assigning someone to periodically update, using dynamic contents etc. – contents describing activities will fall out of date as quickly as activity happens. These outdated contents become an eyesore to otherwise nice pages, and shows that these pages were’t build to last.[/quote]

The reason we had such a hard time though is because everyone knew it was going to be a massive undertaking to completely revamp the site and all of the content on every page. The only way we could get it done quickly was to offer payment. Once the entire revamp is complete though, most of the hard work will be behind us and keeping track of the latest activities and updating one or two pages from time to time shouldn’t be a big deal.

I agree we do need a wiki though.

All due respect to members of the Nubits team whom I personally admire.

Look I don’t want to be a negative nanny, but Nubits is an undisclosed process that it is claimed will be the most revolutionary thing since Bitcoin itself or some extraordinary claim like that and it supposedly will temper volatility itself. A natural market dynamic. These are giant claims and extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence, of which to date there is zero.

Why would you want to tie Peercoin’s time proven hard won dependable image to such a grandiose-claiming, undisclosed and unproven process?

If you permanently tie Nubits image to Peercoin and it turns out Nubits is an ill-conceived flop and a dud, then what will be the negative impact on Peercoin?

I personally wish Nubits every success, but I think it should make its own way.

I think NME makes a fair point, and share the view that NuBits should not be included for now. I also think, though, that when we know more about NuBits, we should make a re-evaluation

Yes, this sounds fine, I agree.

I semi-agree with the removal of the footer. We should not remove it altogether, but instead work to make it a bit thinner, maybe some social links and that is it.

Did you read here what I said about that? I don’t think just the social links are reason enough to keep it around. I’m in favor of all of it staying. It’s not really hurting anything. Many people won’t even travel to the bottom of the page to see it. I don’t see the harm in leaving it as it is.

I have a hunch that the “fat footer” is a web design trend that is no longer in style. I’d like to see a sample of the site without it, just to compare our options.

I can cut down the footer in the next revision just so you can see how it looks, how does that sound?

Sure. I don’t know about the recent styles in web design, but we can see how it looks I guess.

I shortened the footer, leaving only social icons and languages on the bottom, if you want, I can replace the languages with something else since we already have them in the header, so they are a bit redundant.

I do like the new small footer at http://igor-rinkovec.from.hr/clients/peercoin/. I kind of like leaving the languages bar, though, since it gives the footer a nicer size, and the alternative icon in the upper-right isn’t immediately obvious. Anyone else want to chime in?

EDIT: Please sort the Learn header menu by length of text title. (Exchanges first, FAQ last.)

I was originally opposed to a footer menu, but I really like the footer menu TheWildHorse has done - it frames each webpage nicely

My feeling is the other way around; that the language options at the bottom replace the icon at the top. I have seen other websites put languages at the bottom, for example:

Maybe it is just me, but the “swiveling book” does not seem to fit in with the overall look of the website.

Good thinking. I agree.

That is the international symbol for translation, It is hard to choose an icon for languages/translation so thought that would be the best fit.

I would disagree from removing it from the header, footer is the last thing the person sees, so they maybe won’t even realise there is a translation in their language when looking at the page, but keeping the menu in the footer is a good idea.

Might as well leave it in both places, then. The book in the upper-right isn’t really harming the header.

Yes please keep the language selection in the header. Many people don’t even scroll to the bottom of the page, so they won’t know it’s there.

Also, the footer as it is now is better than nothing I guess. I still don’t really like it though. It just somehow makes the whole page look incomplete. Maybe it’s just me? I still don’t see what it’s harming just to leave the whole thing, especially since many people won’t scroll all the way down. It’s up to you guys though if you feel this looks better.

The problem, as I see it, with the current footer menu is that it represents “odds and ends”, providing links for where the website did not have a dedicated link. The paper wallet link is an example. It is there because it is nowhere else

Another issue is the list of exchanges. There are currently five on the list, but how do we justify that selection when there are so many others? The current footer menu is just too random

If we were to have a footer menu beyond what THW proposes, I feel it would require a fundamental rethink. It would need its own logic. My own view is that peercoin.net site is too compact to require more links at the footer - but I am not against us revisiting this in the future

Chronos

At the top menu, we have “Wallet”

Should this not read “Wallets”? Plural is accurate, and sounds more dynamic