Peercoin.net: Headers & Footers

Use this thread to give feedback on the site navigation header, or the footer, of the new website. See the staging website.

For starters, TWH, we need to remove “Contribute” and “Why Peercoin” (since Investors is the same page) from the header, and “Myths” from the Links section of the footer.

Are all the mining pools in the footer still active?

Should the YouTube link now connect to the brand channel, instead of to Rootsical’s video series?

I am keen on the following ideas, relating to the “header” menu:

i) The header menu (presently in the light grey horizontal bar) should be moved up into the white bar, thereby making use of the space. Thus, the menu options will share this bar with the word “Peercoin”, which is to the left. This will eliminate the need for the grey bar, and move the rest of the page “up”

ii) This horizontal menu should be a fixed feature of all webpages, not just the homepage. This will create consistency, and keep the menu in view.

With regards to the “footer” menu, I am inclined to remove it, lock, stock and barrel. This is because the header menu, properly constituted, should accommodate most of these links, and the various webpages should have the rest.

For example, of the footer links, “Forum” now exists in the Header menu under “Community”. “Myths” (now redefined as FAQ) exists under “Learn”, etc.

The exchanges on the footer are, or will be, listed under the webpage devoted to Exchanges.

Ditto, the Mining links: they should hang off the Mining page

The only group of footer links that might not be presently covered are the Tools - but this is best resolved by adding to the header menu

In my view, the Header menu should be the ultimate place for visitors to go - I see no value in dividing up the menu between the top and bottom of the webpages

I think I strongly agree. I would have to see the website this way to make sure.

Would it be a good idea to add, at the bottom of each page (footer?), a “comment on this page” link that points to respective peercointalk thread ?

Yes, this needs to be done. The main channel url is https://www.youtube.com/user/peercoin.

[quote=“RobertLloyd, post:2, topic:2812”]I am keen on the following ideas, relating to the “header” menu:

i) The header menu (presently in the light grey horizontal bar) should be moved up into the white bar, thereby making use of the space. Thus, the menu options will share this bar with the word “Peercoin”, which is to the left. This will eliminate the need for the grey bar, and move the rest of the page “up”

ii) This horizontal menu should be a fixed feature of all webpages, not just the homepage. This will create consistency, and keep the menu in view.[/quote]

I don’t understand what you mean by all of this. The upper horizontal navigation bar is already a fixed feature on every page of the site. Are you viewing the website on something other than a desktop or laptop? I’m on a laptop, so maybe it’s different looking if you’re using something else.

I agree that as much of the content as possible in the footer should be reachable through the links in the header, but I highly disagree with removing the footer completely. I see no reason why this needs to be done as long as the links aren’t being divided between the two. Even if all this information can be linked to from the header, the footer allows all of it to be laid out in one organized place. It provides a way to quickly find important links from any page without having to travel from the header to a specific page first. Also, the footer provides a visual foundation for the page. It’s not just about content. It’s about appearance as well.

To help move more of the content from the footer, we should have a “Tools” drop down menu in the header. Some of these tools need to be changed or added to anyway. Peerchain isn’t listed yet.

Also, if we’re going to remove the contribute link in the header, I think we should replace it with something like a “Team” page. I’ve heard it said that people still think that Sunny is the only one working on Peercoin. They don’t know about Sigmike or any of the other people working on Peercoin, like me and you guys, etc… We should have a page that recognizes all the people that help out in different roles, core developers, forum operator, social media, marketing fund keepers, web design, etc… I don’t think we need to write up descriptions for all these people, but we should list their user names and titles (If they have one) and an email address if they want to be contacted. Here is how the NuBits page did it.

One other thing that could be added to the header is a drop down menu for “Other Projects.” The drop down menu would link to websites for Peershares, NuBits and Peerbox, plus more if any other project is started.

Sentinel, this is what I see, from my desktop at work: http://imgur.com/a/MFwZp

TWH, it looks like the threshold for tablet “optimization” is too high. :))

Or, we could have a separate page made up and linked to from somewhere in the navigation that features the different projects. Each project on the page would feature its logo and a description next to it, plus a link to its website. I personally like this option a lot better than including yet another dropdown box. Currently the only place to find out about Peerbox, Peershares and NuBits is from reading the forum. This info needs to be on the website as well.

Or, we could have a separate page made up and linked to from somewhere in the navigation that features the different projects. Each project on the page would feature its logo and a description next to it, plus a link to its website. I personally like this option a lot better than including yet another dropdown box. Currently the only place to find out about Peerbox, Peershares and NuBits is from reading the forum. This info needs to be on the website as well.[/quote]

Perhaps this could be added to the Development page?

Development is constantly changing. Unless someone is going to maintain it I am for pointing to peer4commit pages.

Maybe somehow peer4commit can have a summary sheet displayed here without manual updating e.g. in a frame.

[quote=“mhps, post:12, topic:2812”]Development is constantly changing. Unless someone is going to maintain it I am for pointing to peer4commit pages.

Maybe somehow peer4commit can have a summary sheet displayed here without manual updating e.g. in a frame.[/quote]

I don’t think it’s that big a deal. 3 major projects that need to be listed that have started within the last year or 2.

The page need to be updated from time to time, but the Developers/Development page will need updates anyway, such as when Sunny releases v5, or if he announces development on sidechains, etc.

Besides, we want Development to be bustling. That is where people will go, if they want to know what we are doing in the future.

They all started within a year. Seeing how often web pages actually get updated after initial enthusiasm fades, I am not convinced this one will be much different. There IS a centralized place to see what is going on in realitime already. That is peer4commit linked to github.

Peer4commit is already highlighted on the development page. That’s not going anywhere…

http://igor-rinkovec.from.hr/clients/peercoin/developer

I don’t see what’s wrong with highlighting our major projects on this page. It’s not that hard to update, just add a description paragraph, some links and a logo. Peer4commit is great for laying out lots of different projects, but many of them are smaller in scale. I don’t think we should expect non-developers to search through this list to find out what’s going on. A quick feature of each major project currently being worked on along with impressive logo graphics will show non-developers just passing by that there’s lots of stuff going on.

The problem with peer4commit and github is that you need to be familiar with them, and this can act as a barrier to the uninitiated. The Development page is a midway post that explains things in layman’s terms

The previous website was static, granted, but the community is much stronger and active now. Many of us have a financial interest in Peercoin succeeding, so we won’t let it slip

So, Peerbox, Peershares, and Nubits. Any other projects we want to highlight on the website?

I forgot Peerunity. That should be highlighted as well, since it’s always in active development.

TWH, here are the different logos again for each project…

Peerunity: http://www.mediafire.com/download/b7zrummbf57a30u/Peerunity_Logo_Files.zip
Peershares: http://www.mediafire.com/download/tds8wezrgusfkrs/Peershares_Logo_Files.zip
NuBits: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/Sentinelrv/Other-Images/NuBitsNewsletterClip2.png~original

For Peerbox, we’re in the middle of choosing a logo. It’s most likely going to be this one, but I’d wait until it’s official. After that I’ll have the graphics package made up.

Won’t Peerunity confuse the issue? The Core Protocol is Sunny’s client and (I presume) important developments will be transferred across

Localised Peerunity development is covered on the Wallet page