Peercoin Logo Design Contest (Give Designers Feedback Here!)

You mean like a limited edition coin that is unique looking from the main design?[/quote]

Yes, exactly. For example, there could be a limited edition of GameKyuubi’s best design, and other designers in the community.

[quote=“GameKyuubi, post:80, topic:165”][quote=“Sentinelrv, post:76, topic:165”]I think this looks much better. I just wish I could see a version of this using the exact same style in the image I posted. The style you’re using here is different somehow. I’m not a designer, so I can’t really explain it. Here they are side by side and you can see the difference…

Edit: Maybe the difference is that your design looks more like it’s 3D where the other one isn’t? I’m not sure.

[url=http://[/url] [url=[/url][/quote]

Maybe the type of reflection I’m using?

[/quote]

GameKyuubi, to me your designs looks great. For me personally, what makes submission #48 a little bit better is the level of detail. I’ll try to post a side-by-side in a second so I can explain what I see…

It seems like different people want different colors and shadings, which is no big deal. It’s just some sliders I play with lol.

GameKyuubi, until I saw design 48, I liked your design the best. But when I saw 48, it just has a lot more detail. Here is a side by side:
[table]
[tr]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Don’t get me wrong, both designs look fantastic! But, to me, the one on the left looks a little bit more detailed, and more polished, especially if you compare the leaf areas. Look at the nice gradient from dark to light in the various areas of the leaf on the left. There is just a lot more going on in the left design. Some people don’t like that. I just happen to be one of those people that likes detail.

I was on a forum where people were arguing about proposed designs for Physical Litecoins, and I heard arguments both ways: some people said they hated a particular design because it had too much detail. They wanted something simpler. From what I have seen so far, the design on the left strikes the perfect balance. My only criticism of this particular version is that it seems like the designer got a little bit lazy in the lower right hand corner/bottom. Your design has better depth and detail in the lower right corner/bottom.

[quote=“GameKyuubi, post:83, topic:165”]It seems like different people want different colors and shadings, which is no big deal. It’s just some sliders I play with lol.

[/quote]

Yes, I think this may be what I was looking for. Do you have a larger version of this? I don’t see it posted on the contest page yet. I also agree with Philogus about there being much more detail in design 48. Not sure yet if this version helps that since it’s too small to see clearly.

It’s up.

One concern I do have is, say 4-5 years from now energy intensive coins are fading from the scene and energy efficient coins become the norm. I’ve argued this before, but if energy efficient coins become the norm in the future, there would really be no point in conveying that feature through the logo. The leaf imagery would become pretty meaningless, since it has already become the norm, not something that really needs to be advertised anymore.

If this happens, we could always just remove the leaf from the logo in the future when it’s not needed anymore. We can do that easily with design #48 because the leaf is in the background. The PP symbol would still remain intact with the removal of the leaf. But with your design, the leaf is part of the PP symbol and can’t be removed. The only way to do it would be to change the symbol that everyone has already become used to. This may not seem relevant right now, but it could be 4-5 years from now. I think it’s worth noting.

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:87, topic:165”]One concern I do have is, say 4-5 years from now energy intensive coins are fading from the scene and energy efficient coins become the norm. I’ve argued this before, but if energy efficient coins become the norm in the future, there would really be no point in conveying that feature through the logo. The leaf imagery would become pretty meaningless, since it has already become the norm, not something that really needs to be advertised anymore.

If this happens, we could always just remove the leaf from the logo in the future when it’s not needed anymore. We can do that easily with design #48 because the leaf is in the background. The PP symbol would still remain intact with the removal of the leaf. But with your design, the leaf is part of the PP symbol and can’t be removed. The only way to do it would be to change the symbol that everyone has already become used to. This may not seem relevant right now, but it could be 4-5 years from now. I think it’s worth noting.[/quote]

Hah, I didn’t even think about that, but it’s for that exact reason I don’t like the original leaf design too much. It seems less iconic and integrated. With the leaf as part of the P, the logo accomplishes the same thing while maintaining the simplicity of a single letter stamped on a coin, like the BTC logo. The leaf being in the background is a bit too busy for my taste.

I’m not completely convinced that will become an issue though. Because of the way coin distribution works, it seems like there HAS to be an initial proof-of-work phase before you get to the proof-of-stake phase, so even if energy efficient crypto becomes the norm, PPC will still probably be more energy efficient than currencies started after it, and thus the leaf may still be relevant.

Slightly different take on the leaf, doing experiments.

Alright, laid off the gloss a bit. How’s this?

Edit: Nudged a little bit right.

[quote=“GameKyuubi, post:90, topic:165”]Alright, laid off the gloss a bit. How’s this?

Edit: Nudged a little bit right.

[/quote]

Yep, that accomplished it. Looks far more balanced now. This one’s my favourite so far.

Here it is at a few different brightness levels.

I know some people here don’t like the darker gold background (as in the first of the three of GK’s above), but I think it works great for two reasons.

First, it presents more of a contrast for the dual P’s. With the extremely light gold background, the P’s tend to blend in to the background. We want our letter to be easily recognizable even in small avatar logos on message boards.

Second, it actually creates a subtle environmental message on a deeper level. The green leaf almost looks as if it is sprouting from the brown/mud/darkness below, which is an interesting way to think of PPC (and PoS’s energy benefits) relative to BTC (and PoW’s energy intensiveness).

If the voting were held today, it would get my vote!

Also as a minor point - what would the logo look like without that little dark green sliver in the middle of the P’s? (ie. if it was changed to the gold background).

I’m not sure if anyone else notices it, or if I’m just getting distracted because I’ve stared at the logo too long.

I was just coming here to point that out. I really like the new version. I think I may be changing my mind.

[quote=“Excelsior”]If I’m not mistaken, Sunny King didn’t like 48 at all. I think we should avoid it then.

That said, GameKyuubi, I think yours is looking great. Plus, it’s one Sunny liked.

Can we see the latest one you just posted with a little less ‘shine’? If you look at my avatar, it seems to be a bit overpowered by gloss differentials.

But do keep the angle of the gloss where you now have it… it looks better at an angle then when you had it horizontal. It’s an improvement.

Another thing… can you cheat the ‘pp’ symbol to the right just a little? I know it’s probably centered right now, but in my experience there’s situations where the overall weight of an image needs a slight cheat to look, psychologically, centered. My point is, it looks a tad too much to the left. If you slightly move it to the right, it might look better. But mind you, it needs to be a slight cheat… it shouldn’t be noticeable.

P.S. Nature never goes out of style. I wouldn’t worry about it being passe in the future. :)[/quote]

Yeah, I didn’t realize that Sunny hates #48 so much. That being the case, GameKyuubi latest design looks awesome. I can throw my full weight behind it.

The question is, once that little dark sliver is removed, does it look better with the leaf separated like in the first couple designs or connected like it is now?

We’ve been working with that design for a while now. I wonder why he didn’t say anything about it until now.

Sunny liked a similar one, but I’m not really feeling the placement of the leaf there.

I like the separation of the vertical bars and the leaf too, as opposed to it all being connected.