[MF] Peercoin Advertising on Reddit

I’ll vote for this to go ahead :slight_smile:

Fuzzybear

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Fuzzy is back! :pbjt:

[quote=“FuzzyBear, post:41, topic:2722”]I’ll vote for this to go ahead :slight_smile:

Fuzzybear[/quote]

[size=14pt][font=comic sans ms]+1 WE LOVE YOU FUZZY! +1[/font][/size] ;D

:pbjt::pbjt::pbjt::pbjt::pbjt::pbjt::pbjt::pbjt::pbjt:

He’s been back for a couple weeks now, mainly posting in chat though. Maybe you didn’t know that.

And the dancing banana is back too, cool :slight_smile:

And the dancing banana is back too, cool :-)[/quote]

It never left :wink:

And the dancing banana is back too, cool :-)[/quote]

It never left ;)[/quote]

But he was hiding, the little rascal :slight_smile:

Here is what makes him come out of hiding:

:pbjt:

Hey guys,

Just about 12 hours left to vote on this proposal. Don’t miss your chance!

I vote Yes.

I will vote yes for this, but we need to do some things before starting. First, I’ve been meaning to create a brand new Welcome sticky thread for /r/peercoin. I’ll need to take the original thread that has already been linked here and expand it. Can you guys help me with this by posting things that you believe should be added or changed? Once finished and posted, we can use this thread to advertise from.

[quote=“river333, post:19, topic:2722”]I think if we can just update the minting guide, then the website will be good enough for a small advertising push. I’m not really sure why it can’t just be changed now, even if Chronos’ proposal goes ahead. It should be a high priority item; it would even be better if the page was just deleted now, rather than constantly giving people incorrect information. I raised the issue on github a couple of months ago: https://github.com/super3/peercoin.net/issues/123 and gave a quick sample guide that would still be considerably better than what we have now.

All it needs is for someone to submit a pull request and super3 to accept it. It’s getting to the stage where I would personally pay someone to do this, if they can’t be paid out of the peer4commit funds.[/quote]

River, you know about making sure these guides are accurate. Can you PM TheWildHorse and provide him with updated minting instructions, so he can temporarily replace the content on the current minting page until the website is finished being redesigned? I think we’ve let it sit like this for long enough.

Here’s the newest minting guide that River has been distributing: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kCGTeppPkVOKczLXEJKjOJwreeBPFlpCywqXGDoCtkM

One way of doing it is to have two brief guides: one for Peerunity and one for the v0.4 reference client. There no longer needs to be separate guides for Windows, Mac, and Linux as it is the same process for all. One problem with this is that Peerunity is not mentioned anywhere else on the website, so there needs to either be a link to downloads and the launch thread, or just have instructions for v0.4 (which is also valid for Peerunity, but more complicated than necessary).

It is probably more accurate to call it something like “How to unlock your client for minting” rather than a minting guide, since a full guide would include more information and discussion on security and the mechanics, at least when we are doing the redesign. It would be better for someone more knowledgeable than me to write that information. I’m also thinking whether it would be better to have two separate pages - one with the basics and another with the details - as throwing more information than necessary at the average person might discourage minting.

Anyway, at this stage it is good just to get anything up there, rather than continue with completely outdated stuff. So for now we could retain all the text above “How to start minting?” and replace the part below it with something like this:

[hr]

Guide for Peercoin v0.4 client:

Encrypt your wallet with a good passphrase. Write this down and keep it somewhere safe; if you forget the passphrase you will lose your coins. The wallet encryption option can be found under the settings tab in the Peercoin-Qt wallet program.

To start minting go to help -> debug window -> console and enter:

walletpassphrase abc 999999 true

where “abc” is your passphrase and “999999” is the time you want to mint for in seconds. You can change the amount of time to whatever you like, but it is usually easiest just to set it at a very high number. If your passphrase has spaces then enclose it in quotation marks.

Clear your passphrase by pressing Ctrl-L.

You can check you are minting by looking at the little padlock in the bottom right corner of the client. After a few moments it should become unlocked. If you hover your mouse over it, it should say “Wallet is encypted and currently unlocked for block minting only”.

[hr]

Guide for Peerunity:

Peerunity is a client developed by the Peercoin community. It has more features than the standard Peercoin v0.4 client, and also has an easier method for minting. It is available for Windows, Linux, and OS X. You can download it here and view the launch thread here.

Encrypt your wallet with a good passphrase. Write this down and keep it somewhere safe; if you forget the passphrase you will lose your coins. The wallet encryption option can be found under the settings tab in Peerunity.

To start minting, simply press the “Unlock Wallet for Minting Only” button, enter your passphrase and press OK.

You can check you are minting by looking at the little padlock in the bottom right corner of the client. After a few moments it should become unlocked. If you hover your mouse over it, it should say “Wallet is encypted and currently unlocked for block minting only”.

[hr]

This is just a quick guide, make some changes if you want. I’ll PM TheWildHorse now with a link to this post.

Voting is closed. 10 valid yes votes. 0 no votes. Proposal is successful and will receive funding.

Ok, the minting page is now updated, thanks River and TheWildHorse…

http://www.peercoin.net/minting

Now I just need to make a new sticky thread for /r/peercoin. I’ll try to work on that tonight.

What’s the status on this? Do we have dates for when the ads will go up, and when they’ll go down?

I’m sorry, it’s just taking me a little longer than usual to finish up this sticky thread that will be used for advertising. There’s a lot of stuff to include and I’ve been slammed at work, so I haven’t had time to finish it. Once that’s done you guys can continue on with this advertisining campaign.

Again, I wanted to apologize. I didn’t realize this was going to be such a massive undertaking. You can follow my progress here…

http://www.reddit.com/r/peercoin/comments/22xdr0/please_vote_for_peercoin_to_be_added_to_altoutlet/cgrjm6f

There’s still a lot to change and add and I only have so much time in the day. It might take me until Saturday to finish.

Hey Sentinelrv, can you make a new post with all your new edits? I would like to be able to forward the ads to a post instead of a comment.

Also I made a project on Peer4commit. The link is http://peer4commit.com/projects/126.

Once we have a post, I will make a test ad on some subreddit. (With my own money.) It looks like most of the bigger cryptocurrency subreddits are full, ad-wise, for the next few days. So I might just go with a not-so-great one for the test.

[quote=“Hibero, post:58, topic:2722”]Hey Sentinelrv, can you make a new post with all your new edits? I would like to be able to forward the ads to a post instead of a comment.

Also I made a project on Peer4commit. The link is http://peer4commit.com/projects/126.

Once we have a post, I will make a test ad on some subreddit. (With my own money.) It looks like most of the bigger cryptocurrency subreddits are full, ad-wise, for the next few days. So I might just go with a not-so-great one for the test.[/quote]

Hibero, I’m currently working on it, should hopefully be able to finish it sometime tonight. I planned on finishing it last Saturday as I mentioned in my post above, but SigmundAlpha needed me to work on concept art for the different tabs of Peerunity, which took all weekend. I don’t have enough time to work on it during the weekdays, so only the weekends allow me enough time to get anything done. I’ll post it here either tonight or early tomorrow morning once it’s done.

I’ve finished the entire intro to Peercoin. Please read up to the end of the section on microtransactions if you want to give any feedback. RobertLloyd helped me with editing the first half of it, so hopefully he’ll help me with the rest. I still need to finish the bottom half (including all the links for everything), which hopefully shouldn’t be as hard. The difficult part is over now that the explanations are out of the way. I’ll try if I can to finish it before I go to work tomorrow, but I need to get some sleep right now. Here is the post again if you want to look through the intro text…

http://www.reddit.com/r/peercoin/comments/22xdr0/please_vote_for_peercoin_to_be_added_to_altoutlet/cgrjm6f