[MF] Peercoin Advertising on Reddit

@Hibero, can you post an example of the advertisement you think you would go with? Or at least text or links it would contain?

Yes, that 's a good idea.

My last ad just directed here. I thought it was pretty well put together.

http://www.reddit.com/r/peercoin/comments/1s9nte/welcome_to_rpeercoin_quick_intro_inside/

http://www.reddit.com/r/peercoin/comments/1s9nte/welcome_to_rpeercoin_quick_intro_inside/[/quote]
Well I’m impressed with that one. It is a neat Peercoin startup guide. Hope that this convinces others to vote for this proposal when voting starts.

http://www.reddit.com/r/peercoin/comments/1s9nte/welcome_to_rpeercoin_quick_intro_inside/[/quote]

Yes that looks good. The wallet downloads link to v0.3 though, that would need to be updated.

@hibero, I assume one advertising cyclus for this proposal or do you like to have people voting for e.g. 3 or more cycles of advertising. I’m asking this because MF charter doesn’t allow resubmitting similar requests within short time frames. The reason for that is to reduce the burden of voting.

We could do e.g. release funding for first cycle and assess whether this is value for money. This can just be a discussion in this thread or based on a performance indicator to be defined as part of the proposal and then release two or more other cycles of advertising (number should be capped).

Keen to hear your (Hibero) and other opinions on this as this is the first ‘repeatable’ submission.

I do not think the Charter need disallow proposals for additional adverts, since the Charter’s restriction on similar proposals is surely intended to prevent failed applications from being resubmitted over and over?

If we agree in principle four adverts in, say, one month, I would argue that it is within the terms of the Charter that Hibero can propose - separately - a similar cycle for the following month. Indeed, his next proposal can be for two months (or more), if the first month is a success. This reduces voting fatigue

Incidentally, how long does a single advert last?

My issue/concern remains our sequence of action: in my view, Chronos should be allowed his month to revamp the website before advertising

[quote=“RobertLloyd, post:27, topic:2722”]I do not think the Charter need disallow proposals for additional adverts, since the Charter’s restriction on similar proposals is surely intended to prevent failed applications from being resubmitted over and over?

If we agree in principle four adverts in, say, one month, I would argue that it is within the terms of the Charter that Hibero can propose - separately - a similar cycle for the following month. Indeed, his next proposal can be for two months (or more), if the first month is a success. This reduces voting fatigue

Incidentally, how long does a single advert last?

My issue/concern remains our sequence of action: in my view, Chronos should be allowed his month to revamp the website before advertising[/quote]

I think a month to month basis would be a great idea. The only initial problem I see is that I have no idea how much money would be needed for an ad for a given time period. Ads cost per impression so some subreddit ads would need more money than others. Also, the number of people visiting a subreddit can be quite sporadic so I have yet to know how long a certain dollar figure would last.
I was thinking we try out a week. I post the results. If they are favorable, then we move forward with the funding for a month.

Yes that looks good. The wallet downloads link to v0.3 though, that would need to be updated.[/quote]

I will start working on an updated thread for that today. I am quite busy today so I doubt I will finish but I think this should not take much time at all.

I’m personally fine with some small advertising now. I think it would be good if the updated thread encouraged people to download Peerunity instead of the reference client. If there was also a small introduction to minting in the thread (much simpler with Peerunity due to the minting button), then people wouldn’t need to rely on the outdated website for information. RobertLloyd (and the others who had similar views), would this reduce your concerns about advertising now, or do you still feel a full update to the website is needed beforehand?

Firstly, I agree that Peerunity is the client to link to. It has some extra optional features (e.g. coin control) and is the one which Sentinel is planning to improve the visual appearance.

Regarding the issue of which should come first, the website or the advertising, I would argue that much has changed in the past two weeks. In mid-July, we were uncertain as to where the website was heading if, indeed, it was heading anywhere. TheWildHorse commented, quite correctly, that he/she had received no feedback

If this uncertainty/inaction was still the case, then there would be a strong case for advertising to “plug the gap”.

But the situation has changed: Chronos has arrived on the scene and is committed to producing the website within a set time frame. We are now in a much more coordinated situation which advertising can exploit and enhance.

So, my gut feeling is to still urge a pause of just a few weeks - after which, we can go “full guns”

Ok, 7 days of discussion went by and this proposal is ready for voting. Same process as usual. 3 day voting period so the deadline can be 10 PM UTC on Friday 8th August.

Anyone with an active account created more than 3 months before the start of voting and with a karma of 5 or more may vote.

You can vote with a “yes” (indicating you are in favor of this proposal receiving funding), or a “no”.

All voters are encouraged to add a voluntary explanation why they voted yes or no so future submitters can improve their proposals and assess their chances on success.

Please vote now!

[quote=“Hibero, post:1, topic:2722”]Contact Information
I am Hibero on Peercointalk and Reddit. You can reach me by PM on either website.
Submission Date
July 27, 2014
Summary
From a previous small marketing campaign done a few months ago, it has been shown that marketing on Reddit in the cryptocurrency subreddits can bring attention and otherwise missed supporters to Peercoin. It is the goal of this campaign to create marketing ads for each of the main cryptocurrency subreddits.
Details
I propose that there is a large marketing campaign done through Reddit with marketing ads for each of the major crypto subreddits. The results of my last campaign done on /r/dogecoin (the Dogecoin subreddit) can be viewed here.
(http://www.reddit.com/r/peercoin/comments/1xa1cy/results_of_peercoin_advertisement_on_rdogecoin/)
I believe it to be a reasonable success for such a small amount of money. I believe a strong Reddit presence is necessary to a strong cryptocurrency marketing team.
In the direct aftermath of this campaign there will be a heavy need of support in the /r/Peercoin (the Peercoin subreddit) to handle all the new questions that will be asked by curious potential supporters.
Target Audience
The marketing will be mostly directed to pre-existing cryptocurrency supporters. If this marketing strategy goes well, I believe then we could start moving to a more generalized audience. A more generalized audience will bring less results and I think it is best to saturate the pre-existing cryptocurrency supporters first.
Budget
I will do the management of the Reddit ads. In doing so, I do not expect any compensation but I am open to volunteers and I will dreadfully need support on the Peercoin subreddit to answer questions. Due to this necessity, I feel that the best way to secure support is to have payment. So I suggest some sort of pool where for each (constructive) comment in the subreddit there will be payment. My thought on this is that it would be best to wait for the expiration of the ads and a following two days and give out tips to the comment gladiators in an even distribution.
Ads for five subreddits: $100
Money pool to split from: $25
Total: $125 or 90-100 PPC
I would like to see this as a weekly ordeal if the first campaign goes well. There could also be an increase in money for the ads for more visibility.
Deadline
I see no reason for a community deadline but if the community approves within the next week I can probably have the ads up within two days.
Metrics
I will post the results of all ads in this post. They should be in similar format as shown above.
Funds Management
Payment for this project can be sent to PLPcRGvD6rrVXpZwYGif3rPy4X3Wp38AWj
Thank you for your consideration Peercoin supporters![/quote]
Here is the full proposal for your convenience.
Hibero proposes in post 27 to fund a week as per the original proposal (~110 PPC) and see how long funds last and verify the feedback and then fund another month when successful. I suggest that we vote for funding for 1 week and then discuss the results before further funding is released.

I whole heartedly support this marketing activity. I remember it brining a lot of newcomers to the peercoin subreddit. Furthermore, the target demographic of existing crypto currency subreddits is the correct strategic plan. They understand cryptos, now we need to show them all the benefits of Peercoin.

My vote YES

edit l : One more karma to be eligible to vote :slight_smile:

edit ll : Thank you for the karma :smiley:

Roman numerals are fun

I think this is a great idea. I hope to be one of the “comment gladiators” to help answer questions for newcomers.

Vote: YES

vote yes

Vote: Yes :slight_smile:

I vote yes ;D

Vote: yes.
Is there a new post to auto-count the vote instead of this manual method?

[quote=“redlee, post:38, topic:2722”]Vote: yes.
Is there a new post to auto-count the vote instead of this manual method?[/quote]
Great six eligible votes, two more and we will likely have another MF proposal over the line!
@redlee not sure what you mean by new post to auto-count? Open to explore or try every other system to vote or count which improves the current system.

Yes. Fire at will. :smiley: