[MF] Paper Wallet Tutorial Video

Yes. Thanks for checking! :)[/quote]
The equivalent of $110 in PPC (BTC-e exchange rate) has just been transferred to @chronos peer4commit account.
See payment details here: http://peer4commit.com/projects/96/distributions/340

Received. Thank you!

Are you going to go over any super secure methods to make paper wallets? For example, I downloaded https://brainwallet.github.io, wiped my laptop, opened Ubuntu in memory, loaded up the brain wallet page without internet, used diceware to get a string of random words, threw in some special characters to make it more unique, copied and pasted that into the passphrase box and got my unique public and private key.

Then I copied it all onto a text file and put it on a USB drive. When I quit Ubuntu, everything I was working on in memory was erased. I wiped the laptop again just to be sure. This is a little advanced, but at least I know I’m protected from viruses and other threats while making my keys. The extra work gives you more peace of mind, especially when you have large amounts at risk.

My paper wallets are done on a second-hand laptop, bought for £30. I disabled the wireless and never connect it to the internet. I also bought a second-hand printer off eBay for a fiver, to use with the laptop

On my online desktop computer, I saved http://wallet.peercointalk.org/ onto a USB stick, then put the USB in the laptop and dragged the wallet.peercointalk.org icon onto my laptop. Everything is offline from that point

I did the dice and cards to create a private key on the brainwallet tab. They say 30 characters is sufficient, so I did 40 (I did not realise you could add special characters - will try that, next time)

Then I printed out two paper copies of the keys, one to keep at home and a spare to keep somewhere else, and saved one version on the USB

I always detach the USB from the laptop when finished, in case I get burgled - the laptop would be a target (but not the USB)

Those are good techniques. I’m working similar examples into the video.

One feature request: can we add a way to skip the random seeding on page load of http://wallet.peercointalk.org/? For example, see https://bitcoinpaperwallet.com/bitcoinpaperwallet/generate-wallet.html?design=alt-dogecoin with the “SKIP” button. Or perhaps there’s a reason that this “feature” is missing?

I don’t understand how the “random” seeding feature works.

E.g. if I throw dice, the outcome is random. If I shake the dice, the outcome is still random. If I shake the dice a lot, the outcome is still just random

Chronos - topic request for the video: I have heard it said that one cannot import a fraction of a paper wallet; it has to be the whole wallet, in one go. I therefore think you should refer to this, so people do not make mistakes

Update:

After much careful thought, I have decided to split the video into two parts. In this project, I want to cover both why (and why not) to use paper wallets, as well as how to use them. I struggled with which topic to emphasize in the video, and have finally come to the conclusion that this would be best split into two videos. Below is a draft outline of each:

1. Paper Wallets Overview

[ul][li]One Wallet, One Address[/li]
[li]Paper vs. Digital Storage[/li]
[li]Best Security Practices[/li]
[li]Limitations of Paper Wallets[/li][/ul]

1. Paper Wallets Walkthrough

[ul][li]How to use http://wallet.peercointalk.org/ to create a Peercoin paper wallet, including BIP38 encryption[/li]
[li]How to load a paper wallet by sending Peercoins to its public key[/li]
[li]How to use http://wallet.peercointalk.org/ to decrypt a paper wallet that has been encrypted with BIP38 encryption[/li]
[li]How to redeem the private key from a paper wallet using Peerunity[/li][/ul]

This new plan will extend the production period by 7 calendar days. In compensation for the delay, I will produce both videos under the original price agreement.

If anyone has a problem with this new plan, please let me know. I believe this is a change for the better, and will significantly improve the final product, but I want to be sure I’m acting in accordance with the community’s wishes.

Thank you!

I support splitting the what and why from the howto as you propose.
The advantage is also that in case the howto changes due to wallet upgrades the what and why video is still usable.

I think it is right to split the videos: a “walk-through” of how to set up a paper wallet, redeem it, etc. is best presented separately from what could be a wide-ranging discussion as to advantages/limitations, security techniques, etc.

Chronos, a few ideas for you to consider:

One nuance that could be mentioned is that paper wallets do not store coins themselves offline; rather, it is the password (private key) is being created and stored offline, which makes the coins unhackable

A good practice that could be recommended is, when creating a new paper wallet, send 1 PPC as a test and check it arrives on a block explorer, before sending the full funds

When showing how to redeem a paper wallet, people (hopefully) will have encrypted their client, so you need to show this as two stages: the command line for unlocking the wallet, and then the importprivkey command

I don’t know how deep you are going into the various tabs, but if you mention the Brainwallet, my view is that you should stress the use of dice and cards, and specifically warn people away from using memorable sentences

I agree with RobertLloyd that Brainwallets should never be formed from a memorable sentence of words. Such a construction, even if taken from an obsure poem written in a rare language, might seem remote and arcane to us but when compared to the vastness of entropy in a truly random private key - it is not so vast at all, and not very secure. Someone might say, well I can salt my sentence with random characters. True this will increase the randomness and thus security of your private key, but at the expense of becoming harder to remember.
If all you want is one or more secure private key(s) which have never been exposed to the Internet and are printed out on paper, then somehow you must secure the paper, and if you used the random “dice” method your key security will be approximately as secure as you can make the security and privacy of the piece of paper on which you have it recorded. But this is not really a Brainwallet. It is not something you can keep in your brain alone. True randomness is too hard to remember.
It helps me to imagine my ideal of a Brainwallet by creating the following thought experiment. Imagine that you are going to die. Cancer has metastasized throughout your organs and you only have a few months to live, but your brain will still be good when you die. Or, like the genius Hal Finney you will be consumed by untreatable ALS. You decide to freeze your self, going into cryonic suspension, with the hope that some future will have the technological capability to wake you in a cured state. You leave enough funds for your loved ones after you have passed. Fortunately, you have been a Peercoiner and you have more than a few Peercoin you decide to take with you. But, how? No paper or any physical item left behind could remain secure over who knows how long, or what tumult, challenge or desire might face people living between now and then. You realize the only secure way is to take it with you in your brain. It has to be secure and it has to be, if not something you can precisely remember no matter what, then at least something you can for certain RECREATE from something you can easily remember.
If you are a coder or mathematically inclined then there are endless formulas, data structures and processes to create pseudo-random seeds that have as much or more entropy in creating your seed than is in our best Private keys. Just for example, if your bday is 02 02 1991 then use that as a seed and SHA3 hash it the cubed root of 2021991 times and use that as your pseudo random, but recreatable, Brainwallet seed. Or, use the transcendental numbers, the Golden Ratio, e, or Pi which go on to infinity so far as we know without repeating, run your memorable scheme of one of those sequences to recreate your Brainwallet seed. Or, you know Google has digitized almost all books today. You will be able to access them in the future, pick a favorite book, for example, “End the Fed” by Ron Paul, create a memorable scheme, for example, Ron Paul’s birthday will always be discoverable, lets say it is March 9th. Third month ninth day. Get the book, go to the third chapter ninth paragraph and start there. For example, the first letter of every third and ninth word repeating thirty nine times and use that as your recreatable Brainwallet seed for a deterministic wallet. The possibilities are endless. Your personal scheme is memorable and recreatable. While your seed is not genuinely random, because it is recreatable, it does have far greater entropy than your Private Key, and it is reliably recreatable.

Woops! got carried away, I’m late, got to go… Have Fun! :slight_smile:

Just to say i’ve done some work on the http://wallet.peercointalk.org/ code so there is more descriptive text explaining a bit about wallets got from the bitaddress site, also the tests work on the code to :slight_smile:

Would be nice to have the current version in the video and if any suggestions etc come in b4 the video. Just trying to make the QR codes a little bigger

Fuzzybear

I just finished up the “how to” video. It looks like the new version made it in to the final product. Nice timing! :slight_smile:

View the completed work here: Paper Wallet Tutorial

awesome video :slight_smile: great work, ok so now looking into how i send you $110 PPC worth from the peer4commit funds for this project…

Fuzzybear

Sent payment through peer4commit http://peer4commit.com/projects/3/distributions/349

Many thanks again and lets get the video out there :slight_smile:

Fuzzybear

Received. Thank you.

The second “bonus” video is now live: Paper Wallets Overview. This project is now complete, two days ahead of the extended schedule deadline. Special thanks to RobertLloyd, NewMoneyEra, and Sentinelrv for providing inspiration for the video content.

Thank you!

Just looked at both videos. It looks very simple indeed when you know what to do. I’m sure this will help a few people in the Peercoin community or convince new people to invest in Peercoin. Good to see that Fuzzybear also followed up on his part of the deal promptly.

Excellent work again, Chronos. Thanks.

BTW I suppose the links to the videos will be added to wallet.peercointalk.org?

Just spread the videos around on Reddit, Facebook, Twitter and BitcoinTalk. Where can we put these video permanently, so people will actually see them? Peercoin.net just links to the wallet generator on PeercoinTalk, so maybe Fuzzy could somehow add the two videos to the generator page itself?

Added links to the videos on http://wallet.peercointalk.org/

Fuzzybear