[MF] Paper Wallet Tutorial Video

Contact Information
I am Chronos on Peercointalk. You can reach me by PM on this forum, or by email at chronos.crypto at gmail dot com.

Submission date
Tuesday, Oct 14th, 2014.

Summary
Produce a tutorial video for the recommended steps to create and consume Peercoin paper wallets from http://wallet.peercointalk.org.

Details
The current Peercoin.net wallet page at http://peercoin.net/wallet has a link to a paper wallet generator, but it jumps to another website without explaining how to use this style of wallet. I propose to improve this abrupt transition by producing a video to cover the use of paper wallets.

The proposed video walks the user through the following:

[ul][li]How to use http://wallet.peercointalk.org/ to create a Peercoin paper wallet, including BIP38 encryption[/li]
[li]How to load a paper wallet by sending Peercoins to its public key[/li]
[li]How to use http://wallet.peercointalk.org/ to decrypt a paper wallet that has been encrypted with BIP38 encryption[/li]
[li]How to redeem the private key from a paper wallet using Peerunity[/li]
[li]Best practices for the use of paper wallets[/li][/ul]

The need for this content came to my attention when reading this recent Reddit post, in which a website visitor was unable to find this information on the Peercoin.net website. I believe that the addition of this tutorial video would improve the Peercoin.net website.

Target audience
All visitors to Peercoin.net who are interested in learning more about secure, long-term storage of Peercoins.

Budget
The bid for this project is $220, with the funds source split 50/50 between the Marketing Fund and the Peer4Commit WalletGenerator fund controlled by FuzzyBear.

Deadlines
Content and video will be completed no less than ten (10) days after voting is concluded.

Metrics
No specific metrics are tied to the completion of this project.

Funds management
Payment for this project can be sent to the Chronos Crypto account at Peer4Commit.

Thank you for your consideration!

This is a fantastic idea. Thank you Chronos for proposing this!

Good to have you back for another proposal for the Marketing Fund.

I think it will be good to reveal the workings for what is mostly uncomprehensible for many people.

A few questions as usual:

1. How long would the video be approximately?
  2. Would you also explain how it works in more detail (descriptive) instead of just straightforward showing what to do?
    e.g. what is the advantage of BIP, why would you encrypt and when would you use that (with examples)
  3. Would you explain the other tabs on the website or just the paper wallet?
    I think there is value in showing them. Even just a quick overview of their usage and the pro’s and con’s of each. Would that add significantly to the length and cost?
    Maybe you can re-use material from Bitcoin or refer to it as the principles are the same.
  4. Where would the video be hosted? On Peercoin Youtube channel or your own? Personally prefer redundancy and I don’t think the views are that important (not a metric anyway)
    I guess we can assume the same quality video’s as you have delivered before?
  5. Would you produce a PR for the peercoin.net page? Do you organise a pull yourself (e.g. with TWH)?
  6. Is this the only paper wallet application for Peercoin available? I think it is, but you or anyone else might know better.

BIP38 is not implemented on http://wallet.peercointalk.org/ yet. I think we should wait until this is implemented. I know SigmundAlpha and FuzzyBear are working on it.

just tested my self; BIP38 seems present and also working. Decypt in Wallet Details tab works too.

Yes! They have updated it now :slight_smile:

My estimate is 5 to 10 minutes, but I could be way off. We saw how badly I estimated the Intro to Peercoin length. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Cybnate, post:3, topic:2982”]2) Would you also explain how it works in more detail (descriptive) instead of just straightforward showing what to do?
e.g. what is the advantage of BIP, why would you encrypt and when would you use that (with examples)[/quote]
I’m thinking that the emphasis would be on “showing what to do” in this video. How to create, how to store, how to consume. I had not planned to cover BIP38 encryption, because that complicates the process. We may not want to get too technical for visitors of the website, I think. Open to people’s opinions on this.

[quote=“Cybnate, post:3, topic:2982”]3) Would you explain the other tabs on the website or just the paper wallet?
I think there is value in showing them. Even just a quick overview of their usage and the pro’s and con’s of each. Would that add significantly to the length and cost?[/quote]
I’m interested in the community’s thoughts on this. It’s currently outside the proposed scope, because I think it’s best to have the video focus on paper wallets, specifically. The website http://wallet.peercointalk.org has enough features that it may deserve its own video, separate from How to Use a Peercoin Paper Wallet.

The video would be hosted and embedded in the same manner as the other Peercoin.net videos: on the Chronos Crypto Youtube Channel, embedded in the Peercoin.net website.

That’s the plan, yes.

This proposal is for the video and content, not the actual HTML markup for the webpage. We have a Peer4Commit fund for that purpose. Traditionally, TheWildHorse has done this work, but Super3 and I also have the ability to build the page, so I’m confident that it will get done.

It’s the featured application on the current website. Other sites appear to run the same application code, but I don’t know if they can be trusted to produce secure private keys. (See, for example, http://walletgenerator.net/?currency=Peercoin)

One last thing I’d like to mention: an important part of the video is how to import your paper wallet private key into Peerunity, which currently must be done via the console window (correct me if I’m wrong). We don’t offer a walkthrough on the website for that critical function.

Thank you!

I hope you can reconsider this, since it is a important security feature.

Chronos, have you contacted the web developers about this? I think that this is a good idea, but maybe we need to stop for a moment and think about the long-term relationship between the peercoin.net fund and the marketing fund. This is an issue that came up with your previous proposal that was funded 50/50, but I don’t think that there is the same level of urgency now and we have time to decide how to manage this going forward.

I don’t think that it is ideal for content to be proposed and decided through the marketing fund, possibly without input or agreement from the web developers. It is probably also better to fund the creation of new pages through the peercoin.net fund rather than the marketing fund, though it may be less clear which fund to use for the video production.

In this case it is even further complicated by the fact that there is a sizeable fund for the wallet generator too ::slight_smile: http://peer4commit.com/projects/3

But aside from that, If this was submitted here due to the fact that the marketing fund is more accessible and quicker for making decisions, then maybe that indicates that the way the website content is managed could be improved.

I hope you can reconsider this, since it is a important security feature.[/quote]
Certainly, I’m open to the community’s feedback on this.

I haven’t contacted Super3 or TheWildHorse directly. Perhaps they would like to chime in on this thread. I agree, this is a good time to get the various fund objectives sorted out.

Maybe a way to avoid confusion with this is to add a note to the submission template such as: “If your proposal is directly related to an existing project, for example those already funded on http://peer4commit.com/projects, then please contact the developer(s) of that project before applying to the marketing fund.”

So in this case, Chronos could contact super3 and TheWildHorse, and/or FuzzyBear if he wants the guide+video on wallet.peercointalk.org instead. If they are in favor then they should be willing to discuss payment for it out of their own funds.

If they are not in favor of it, then Chronos could decide whether to return to ask the marketing fund. The community voting would now be much better informed about the situation and may still choose to fund it if they feel it is worth it, being aware that it may not be published on the website.

What do you all think about this approach?

The video would probably be best hosted on the new proposed page of peercoin.net, not on wallet.peercointalk.org, so this wouldn’t involve FuzzyBear. I’ve sent PMs to TWH and Super3 asking them to take a look at this thread.

Thanks!

I agree that the video should be on peercoin.net. I also think the text should too

There should be a prominent link inserted on wallet.peercointalk.org, leading back to the page on peercoin.net. The link could say “For information on creating and using your paper wallet, click here”

I am not exactly sure that this is needed. Could we start thinking of building out videos to attract average users to Peercoin, rather than more technical setup videos. I think that would be a better value added.

I respectfully disagree. I think this is one of the missing pieces. Average users and non-technical people like me use cold wallets because we fear the complexity and vulnerabilities in early crypto. A video like this will help us deeply. It will instill more safety, confidence and needed clear direction.

I think we already have a few starter videos made by Chronos serving average users as you call them. Although this is a technical setup it is one of those unique and most wanted features of cryptos for people who don’t trust the bank with their assets or just want to securely store their wallet or part of it. Given the unfortunate complexity of this process, I think a video is of value and timely given the other areas have been covered off recently in my opinion.

Having said that I’m interested to hear what other videos we could make to attract the target group you have in mind.

I agree with this. A paper wallet was the first thing I wanted to learn about when I decided to make my first purchase. Setting one up gets people engaged and involved in an activity.

It sounds like Super3 doesn’t wish to support this project, but the broader community is generally in favor of it. What happens next?

[quote=“river333, post:11, topic:2982”]Chronos could contact super3 and TheWildHorse, and/or FuzzyBear if he wants the guide+video on wallet.peercointalk.org instead. If they are in favor then they should be willing to discuss payment for it out of their own funds.

If they are not in favor of it, then Chronos could decide whether to return to ask the marketing fund.[/quote]
River333 and Cybnate, do you think this should go to a Marketing Fund vote, or does the community have some say over the Peercoin.net funds?

[quote=“Chronos, post:18, topic:2982”]It sounds like Super3 doesn’t wish to support this project, but the broader community is generally in favor of it. What happens next?

[quote=“river333, post:11, topic:2982”]Chronos could contact super3 and TheWildHorse, and/or FuzzyBear if he wants the guide+video on wallet.peercointalk.org instead. If they are in favor then they should be willing to discuss payment for it out of their own funds.

If they are not in favor of it, then Chronos could decide whether to return to ask the marketing fund.[/quote]
River333 and Cybnate, do you think this should go to a Marketing Fund vote, or does the community have some say over the Peercoin.net funds?[/quote]
If we can’t persuade super3 there is not much we can do. He is the custodian of the donated funds to peercoin.net
@Chronos Did you already try to ask FB about his views as river333 suggested before?

I had not until this point. I just sent him a message, a moment ago. Thanks!