I'm impressed by Monetas, a decentralized era is coming!

Twitter

@monetasnet

@johanngevers

Decentralized society presentation by Gevers

http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/The-Four-Pillars-of-a-Decentral

Open transaction Mac OS version demonstration by odom.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=uJKWDC4q5rA

Guys, we must get allied with Monetas! I believe PPC is more suitable for their off chain universal transaction system!

long term ambition, just like PPC.

[quote=“sabreiib, post:1, topic:2744”]Decentralized society presentation by Gevers

http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/The-Four-Pillars-of-a-Decentral[/quote]

Thanx for the link, it really enjoyed watching it.

[quote=“mably, post:3, topic:2744”][quote=“sabreiib, post:1, topic:2744”]Decentralized society presentation by Gevers

http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/The-Four-Pillars-of-a-Decentral[/quote]

Thanx for the link, it really enjoyed watching it.[/quote]

:stuck_out_tongue:

In October 2013, I co-founded the Bitcoin Association Switzerland and we've already had our first success: Partly through our behind-the-scenes efforts, Swiss authorities are taking a positive view of Bitcoin, and seeing Bitcoin as a unique opportunity for Switzerland to reinvent itself as a next-generation financial center. They are likely to treat Bitcoin just like any other foreign currency, which means no new laws or regulations are needed, and as a foreign currency it will not be subject to capital gains taxes, etc. This is excellent news for our industry! [Caveat: This is not written into Swiss law yet—the process will take until later this year (2014) to complete.]

It seems that sunny king can show his real identity in Switzerland. ;D Just a Joke.

For anybody that hasn’t been following the Open Transactions thread, I sent Sunny an email on it and got a response. First, here is my email…

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:52, topic:2002”]Hi Sunny, I wanted to make sure you are aware that more people on the forum are starting to take an interest in implementing Open Transactions into Peercoin. I’ve included several extra people in this email that have been interested in it, such as Pillow and Peerchemist. I’m not sure if you’ve done anymore research on it since the last time we spoke, but just in case you haven’t, the links are still available in my previous emails. Here are a couple more great videos that help to explain it that I’ve watched recently…

Interview with co-founders Chris Odom & Johann Gevers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1TSNjFlx14

Voting Pools Presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuAGlp3Syro

As mentioned before and thoroughly detailed in the videos I just linked, hooking up Peercoin to Open Transactions could allow Peercoin to retain its ability to be used as a transactional currency, even with the 1% fee still in place, since all the micro-transactions would be happening off-blockchain at high speeds. Thus, OT+Peercoin = The Whole Package! It would also give us an edge over Bitcoin. Off-chain OT transactions wouldn’t give any fees to Bitcoin miners, so in the future when the block reward is lower, it could become problematic for Bitcoin. On the other hand, due to Peercoin’s low-cost minting, we wouldn’t have that same problem, so Peercoin is naturally a better fit for OT than Bitcoin is.

Open Transactions is being developed by a company called Monetas, which was founded by Chris Odom and Johann Gevers, the two people I linked in the interview above. This company is still in its infancy, but I believe they’re going to be huge in the future. I think maybe it would be best if we established a relationship with them early on while they’re still young. Pillow has made some contacts within their company and is being updated on their situation and what would be needed to implement Peercoin into their system. Apparently they still need to finalize their API, but they’ll give us an update when it’s ready. Check Pillow’s post here and the entire discussion that follows…

http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2184.msg30110#msg30110

The community is starting to come up with a plan for how they want to implement it, which includes preparing a wrapper/interface/go-between OT and ppcoind and patching ppcoind API with the calls as defined by the OT guys. There is a whole discussion on it in the thread I linked, so please check it out and provide some comment if you can. I believe czarly wanted your opinion on something in there as well. So we’re excited to hear what you think about all of this. Pillow may be responding to this email with more information.[/quote]

And now here is Sunny’s response…

[quote=“Sunny King”]Hi team,

I would need to dive in a bit more to understand the scope of OT requirements. But generally speaking, if the required API support is fairly modular and not involving changes to core protocol, then it should have no problem getting accepted.

Best Regards,[/quote]

I’ve actually been thinking that maybe we could try getting in touch with Chris Odom and setting up an interview between him, the Peercoin community and Sunny King. It would allow everyone to get their questions answered and it would show Chris just how much a fit Peercoin and OT are for each other. Does anybody think this is a good idea? Also, does anybody know how to get in contact with Chris directly? As I said in my email to Sunny, establishing a relationship with them early on while the company is still in its infancy is very important.

That’s a great idea! +1

Certainly worth exploring how compatible the ideas are and whether there is interest to support each other. I’m particularly keen to better understand OT vs side chains, both advantages and disadvantages.

This is a great idea!

One edge that counterparty has is that they offer not only the means of offering shares, but they also have an exchange: http://upstart.bizjournals.com/entrepreneurs/hot-shots/2014/08/01/the-man-who-would-undo-wall-street-by-offering.html?page=all Peershares, I think, is a superior technology and I really like that the shares can be traded on all exchanges and hence has the potential to become even more decentralized then counterparty is (since all share are not relying on same blockchain).

But… we need a decentralized exchange and this is what Open Transactions offers.

You may contact Gevers if you have no information of odom. But I think we should talk to each other within PPC community before contacting Monetas. This is a marketing activity, should be planned carefully.

Johann Gevers CFA CA BCom BSc BA
Co-founder and CEO
Monetas
monetas.net
Zug, Switzerland

+41 79 882 9676
johann@monetas.net
twitter.com/johanngevers
linkedin.com/in/johanngevers

You may contact Gevers if you have no information of odom. But I think we should talk to each other within PPC community before contacting Monetas. This is a marketing activity, should be planned carefully.

Johann Gevers
xxxx[/quote]

doxing?

What do you have in mind? I still need to ask Sunny if it’s ok with him, but if it is ok I was thinking of sending them both an email asking them if they’d like to participate in this and that our community has been highly interested in Open Transactions for a while now. Then I wanted to tell them about Sunny and how the design of Peercoin fits with OT better than Bitcoin does, plus the bit about Peershares mentioned above. This is all to show them that we’re highly interested in what they have to offer and that it’s possible we could build a relationship based on our similar goals.

We can build this email here in this thread if people are interested. Does anyone else have anything in mind?

Edit: If they agreed to an interview, we could go to the community to build out a list of questions to be asked. The interview would be part community questions and part Sunny and the OT founders talking.

What do you have in mind? I still need to ask Sunny if it’s ok with him, but if it is ok I was thinking of sending them both an email asking them if they’d like to participate in this and that our community has been highly interested in Open Transactions for a while now. Then I wanted to tell them about Sunny and how the design of Peercoin fits with OT better than Bitcoin does, plus the bit about Peershares mentioned above. This is all to show them that we’re highly interested in what they have to offer and that it’s possible we could build a relationship based on our similar goals.

We can build this email here in this thread if people are interested. Does anyone else have anything in mind?

Edit: If they agreed to an interview, we could go to the community to build out a list of questions to be asked. The interview would be part community questions and part Sunny and the OT founders talking.[/quote]

Yes I have one.

Skip this rant
For some reason I used to think that eventually someone would win the battle of decentralized exchanges. I’ve now come think that there will never be one such exchange. I think its likely there will be many exchanges, just as there will always be many coins. I really believe this.

So, what I’m suggesting is not that we create like this super exchange that will kill all other exchanges and dominate the entire universe and beyond. Instead…

Read this
I think it would be great if we created an official Peercoin Decentralized Exchange, where we the Peercoin community would have control over which tokens would be traded. I mean, that way would could ensure that 100% of all the Peershares that we would like to be traded, would have a place to be traded on.

This exchange could even be kind of sponsored with very low fees, so low that it basically only covers the cost of running it.

Now, my question to SK would be this: Will could this kind of exchange be possible to create with sidechains (perhaps in combination with some kind of voting pools system)?

Edit: If they agreed to an interview, we could go to the community to build out a list of questions to be asked. The interview would be part community questions and part Sunny and the OT founders talking.[/quote]

Yes I have one.

Skip this rant
For some reason I used to think that eventually someone would win the battle of decentralized exchanges. I’ve now come think that there will never be one such exchange. I think its likely there will be many exchanges, just as there will always be many coins. I really believe this.

So, what I’m suggesting is not that we create like this super exchange that will kill all other exchanges and dominate the entire universe and beyond. Instead…

Read this
I think it would be great if we created an official Peercoin Decentralized Exchange, where we the Peercoin community would have control over which tokens would be traded. I mean, that way would could ensure that 100% of all the Peershares that we would like to be traded, would have a place to be traded on.

This exchange could even be kind of sponsored with very low fees, so low that it basically only covers the cost of running it.

Now, my question to SK would be this: Will could this kind of exchange be possible to create with sidechains (perhaps in combination with some kind of voting pools system)?[/quote]

Coin is coin and exchange is exchange. In future, we can trade BTC/PPC whatever coins on NXT/Ether/BTSX and OT platforms.

For me, PPC + OT = All requirements.

I’ve emailed Sunny to find out if he’d be interested in doing an interview with them. Let’s see what he says first. If he agrees, then we can discuss how to approach them.

what is the relation between OT, side chains,voting pools and multisig?

I guess that both OT and side chains try to remove some bloat from the main blockchain.

There is for example a strong limitation of the number of transactions per second that the Bitcoin network can handle: you can check it here (~7 tx/s).

And voting pools are using multisig to do their work.

I think you might get better responses by asking your questions on the OpenTransactions forum.

This http://www.shapeshift.io/ but implemented using multi-sig voting pools trusted networks. OT could perhaps be one way of implementing the backend for such a system

Hi Peercoiners

Someone posted a link to this topic in our Open Transactions forum, so I though I have to check it out.

As you maybe know, we are coin-agnostic, and for obvious reasons, we will implement voting pools with Bitcoin first.
But I have to say your argument why POS makes is better with OT voting pools than POW makes sense to me. I don’t know enough about Peercoin, but I’ll read into it.

I don’t think for Monetas implementing Peercoin will be a high priority in the near future, but I’m sure our people could help you if you have questions.
Please join our ##voting-pools IRC channel on freenode once you start this project.

I’ve already been in contact with one guy of your community and I’ll try to provide you updates regarding our progress on the protocol spec etc. as good as possible.

If you want to meet in RL, easiest is if you come to Zug, Switzerland :wink:

I’ll try to answer your questions regarding OT voting pools here.

(I work for Monetas, but I’m only here because of personal interested and I’m not in a position to support something officially. But you have my spare-time community work support ;)).

Regards

Edit: Or should I answer questions in this topic: http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2184.45 ?
Would be good if everything stays in one, so it’s easier not to miss anything and not to answer the same question twice.

[quote=“lclc, post:19, topic:2744”]Hi Peercoiners

Someone posted a link to this topic in our Open Transactions forum, so I though I have to check it out.

As you maybe know, we are coin-agnostic, and for obvious reasons, we will implement voting pools with Bitcoin first.
But I have to say your argument why POS makes is better with OT voting pools than POW makes sense to me. I don’t know enough about Peercoin, but I’ll read into it.

I don’t think for Monetas implementing Peercoin will be a high priority in the near future, but I’m sure our people could help you if you have questions.
Please join our ##voting-pools IRC channel on freenode once you start this project.

I’ve already been in contact with one guy of your community and I’ll try to provide you updates regarding our progress on the protocol spec etc. as good as possible.

If you want to meet in RL, easiest is if you come to Zug, Switzerland :wink:

I’ll try to answer your questions regarding OT voting pools here.

(I work for Monetas, but I’m only here because of personal interested and I’m not in a position to support something officially. But you have my spare-time community work support ;)).

Regards

Edit: Or should I answer questions in this topic: http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2184.45 ?
Would be good if everything stays in one, so it’s easier not to miss anything and not to answer the same question twice.[/quote]

It should probably be done in that thread. I’ll post there in a couple minutes with some questions for you.