Idle office computers as Primecoin clients

Okay this is logistical and technical question. I just want to give you all the information.

I have six computers on a network. The average computer is used 5 hours a day by employees that do various office functions. The rest of the time they are idle.

How can I make it so the client is operating without the Primecoin wallet and consul window being seen on the computer desktop?

I really do not want employees seeing anything other than what they need for email and to do their job.

Is this possible? Wounder if I could load Primecoin client as a screensaver?

Looks like I will have to start and stop the client before and after the employees leave. That is a pain, oh well the things we do for crypto. 8)

You can run the daemon. I’m guessing you’re using windows. You can probably automate it with a scheduler application. You might also be able to setup a separate user account and having it running in background while your employees use a separate account.

I would implement this with an AutoIt Script in the Autostart.

Run("C:\primecoind.exe" , "" , @SW_HIDE)

This will run primecoind but not show the window.

If you do not want a AutoIT symbol in tray, just add #NoTrayIcon to the code.

Please note that you need a primecoin.conf at %appdata%/primecoin

rpcuser=randomusername rpcpassword=randompassword gen=1

So this can be done. Thanks :slight_smile:

MUTO, seems you have given me the answer I need. Thank you.

I do not understand everything you said, but I know I can figure it out now. I have enough information to go with. That was the key I needed.

Genius!

Thanks again.

can i just stress the importance of the legality of such actions…

Basically my company outlined that they would immediately fire anyone using computers for any other purpose other than the designated work… and this is common policy across most companies… So do so at your own risk… What you will earn from ur 5 PC’s will be tiny compared to the salary that you bring home from the 9-5 job and you don’t want to loose your job!!..

However that said… can be a good call to have a sit down chat with your company director and explain to him / her about cryptocurrencies and primecoin in particular… never know they may say yes please lets setup a mining opperation on the work PC’s and lets buy more in for the process!! Just not worth getting fired for that is all, but best of luck :slight_smile: The whole out of sight out of mind is great to but hard to hide the fact that CPU is maxed out when someone else tries to use the PC.

FuzzyBear

FuzzyBear, so you understand these are my computers, office building and my business. I pay my employees to do a job. Primecoin has nothing to do with their function on my computers.

I thought I made that crystal clear.

[quote=“ericwt, post:7, topic:245”]FuzzyBear, so you understand these are my computers, office building and my business. I pay my employees to do a job. Primecoin has nothing to do with their function on my computers.

I thought I made that crystal clear.[/quote]

Hehe!

You should consider using say 50% to 75% of each PC’s CPU max. during office hours and switching to 100% out of office hours then.

This will also prevent your employees from wondering why the computers are very slow today!

You don’t want to be lowering the overall productivity of your business for a few Primecoins either. 8)

Excellent then mine away :smiley: dam i jealous of u… myu company i work for has like 100+ computers that sit idle 90% of the time… majority now i3 min… most i7 … so you can understand my frustration at my boss not being interested in BTC… just can’t wait for the day i walk out (hopefully a millionaire from BTC) :stuck_out_tongue: suppose at least they were kind enough to let me take 15 old PC’s home that I have mining on free electricity at home!! but combined i get no more than 600PPS these days on them… got a few primecoin blocks but nothing that i gonna be able to retire on!! :stuck_out_tongue:

happy mining and hope you get some blocks :slight_smile:

FuzzyBear

FuzzyBear, a hundred computers, wow!

That spins my imagination. You must work for a huge business. I have six computers on a network.

You know I thought about what you said and I do understand why you said it. Anyone can read this forum and yes it is bandwidth and system resources theft if you do not have permission from a boss.

Thanks for your well wishes. I shall get those blocks. I can already see it in my mind. :slight_smile:

ericwt has the primecoin fever!!

Just make sure to exclude a core on each computer from mining and your employees will never know the difference. If they are standard users like I’m used to, they are going to think the computer is slow regardless of what it’s doing :wink:

Actually the beauty of it is I am using the client on this computer and also multitasking other things.

All the employees need is email and instant messaging. The rest of the work is answering questions at the websites and web stores. Simple tasks that require little system resources.

I live in Belize, if the computers are slow the employees will be happy, then they can mess around on my dollar and blame it on the computer.

I was thinking of 50% max 24/7.

[quote=“PPCoinFX, post:8, topic:245”]Hehe!

You should consider using say 50% to 75% of each PC’s CPU max. during office hours and switching to 100% out of office hours then.

This will also prevent your employees from wondering why the computers are very slow today!

You don’t want to be lowering the overall productivity of your business for a few Primecoins either. 8)[/quote]

Depending on what CPUs you have in your workstations you might be able to get away with saving only one core for other tasks like I do and dedicating the rest to mining. The CPU in my workstation is no slouch though (i7-2600K).

I haven’t noticed any performance decrease at all and I’ve been running 7 of the cores on primecoin nonstop.

Well it seems for my immediate use, I found I can almost hide the program pretty easy.

It just appears in the bottom right corner only if you click the little arrow to see.

Not perfect, but it will do until I can figure all the steps that MUTO outlined.

Hi ericwt,

you can download autoit here: http://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/

Just install it, enter the code, I postet above and compile the exe. It’s really not a big deal.

Cheers,
Muto

Thanks MUTO.

You must understand my gifts with computers and internet have to do with promotion and marketing.

I hate asking newbie questions to code gods like you.

The words that are throwing me is …compile the exe.

Not to worry I will figure it out.

I learn things through sheer determination. I want to learn this, so I will.

[quote=“MUTO, post:15, topic:245”]Hi ericwt,

you can download autoit here: http://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/

Just install it, enter the code, I postet above and compile the exe. It’s really not a big deal.

Cheers,
Muto[/quote]

MUTO, I did it I figured it out! ;D

Thank you. I gave you karma. Not sure if that is worth anything.

Learning did not hurt to much. :wink:

Hi Ericwt

Can you pass me the Autoit file you coded? cause im trying to do this same thing and i just cant get ir running. Im kinda newb but allways up for learning

Thanks in advance

Spookie, I am a clueless newbie. You do not want my help.

If I help you what is going to happen is Primecoin will load into memory and lock system resources before everything else loads.

I used the same program that MUTO was nice enough to provide. However when my systems locked up I had to bring in someone who knew what they were doing.

I am not qualified to help you. Sorry.

Plus, I know I own these computers. I do not know you or your intent to use this program.

Nope not sending you or anyone else the file. Learn it yourself and then you have no one else to blame.

Spookie it is real simple.

All of the answers to all of your questions will be answered if you do the following.

Download Xubuntu or some other bla, bla, bla.
Burn the imaged or learn how to burn the image.

Read the FAQ, read the setup instructions. Duckduckgo, any thing you do not understand, read the forums, especially newbie questions.

Then go to Bitcointalk forums in the alternative currency forum and spend about 16 hours reading Primecoin threads, and there are thousands of posts now.

Don’t do what I did here and ask silly questions or expect someone else to do the work for you. If you screw up ask intelligent questions.

Heck when I screwed up I got on Fiver and payed some guy to fix the problem.

But now I understand…well kind of, at least I am starting to understand. (I hope.)

Forget anything I say though, I am just a clueless newbie. :wink: