[ANN] Peerbox project

Peerchemist, would you mind elaborating a bit on your concerns with PUTTY? Are there any security concerns? I’ve never encountered problems using it before.

After peercoin on raspberry pi, peerbox, finally.

Awesome tutorial. Tks peerchemist

Peerchemist, would you mind elaborating a bit on your concerns with PUTTY? Are there any security concerns? I’ve never encountered problems using it before.[/quote]

quick google search “putty security” will link you many topics on that subject.
It seems all bugs have been fixed, but if you roam various security/privacy forums in search of knowledge like I do you you’ll probably find people saying Putty is bad software (bad quality) and there are better alternatives.
So, I think it is better to avoid problems from start by telling people to use something better.

OK, I can’t disagree with that. Personally, I still like PuTTY when I’m on Windows because it’s essentially portable and I can carry my keys in a .reg file.

Anyway, I just got my RasPi node up thanks to Peerbox. Backing up my wallet was a little confusing at first because of permissions issues, but I appreciate the concern for security. I know you already have plans to make it even more user friendly- you’ve done amazing work!

tunnelier’s ssh seems much better than putty

Since a few days ago, I cannot get to run ppcoind correctly any more.
Weird.
htop says: [6613 ppcoind 20 0 73664 46256 19276 R 96.1 9.4 0:13.17 /usr/bin/ppcoind -daemon -conf=/etc/peercoin/peercoin.conf -pid=/run/ppcoind/ppcoind.pid -datadir=/var/lib/ppcoind -loadblock=blk0001.dat]

But peerbox-info -a says [{
“ppcoind”: “ppcoind inactive”,
“system”: {
“average load”: [
],
“board_rev”: “0xe”,
“hardware”: “Raspberry Pi”,
“kernel release”: “3.14.6-3-GRSEC”,
“maccaddr”: “B8:27:EB:01:8A:1E”,
“peerbox”: “0.22”,
“serial”: “00000000c5018a1e”,
“system_temperature”: 46.54,
“uptime”: “18:35:40.120000”
}
}
]

I tried several times to stop and start ppcoind with systemctl but no chance.
Also /etc/peercoin/peercoin.conf looks fine.

Should I rewrite a fresh image?

[quote=“cryptog1, post:146, topic:2485”]Since a few days ago, I cannot get to run ppcoind correctly any more.
Weird.
htop says: [6613 ppcoind 20 0 73664 46256 19276 R 96.1 9.4 0:13.17 /usr/bin/ppcoind -daemon -conf=/etc/peercoin/peercoin.conf -pid=/run/ppcoind/ppcoind.pid -datadir=/var/lib/ppcoind -loadblock=blk0001.dat]

But peerbox-info -a says [{
“ppcoind”: “ppcoind inactive”,
“system”: {
“average load”: [
],
“board_rev”: “0xe”,
“hardware”: “Raspberry Pi”,
“kernel release”: “3.14.6-3-GRSEC”,
“maccaddr”: “B8:27:EB:01:8A:1E”,
“peerbox”: “0.22”,
“serial”: “00000000c5018a1e”,
“system_temperature”: 46.54,
“uptime”: “18:35:40.120000”
}
}
]

I tried several times to stop and start ppcoind with systemctl but no chance.
Also /etc/peercoin/peercoin.conf looks fine.

Should I rewrite a fresh image?[/quote]

sudo systemctl start ppcoind
sudo systemctl status -l ppcoind

Then please post here.

peerchemist, this is what i ve got:

• ppcoind.service - PPCoin Daemon
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/ppcoind.service; enabled)
    Active: active (running) since Wed 2014-09-24 10:01:04 BST; 2s ago
    Process: 7849 ExecStart=/usr/bin/ppcoind -daemon -conf=/etc/peercoin/peercoin.conf -pid=/run/ppcoind/ppcoind.pid -datadir=/var/lib/ppcoind $ARGS (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Main PID: 7850 (ppcoind)
    CGroup: /system.slice/ppcoind.service
    `-7850 /usr/bin/ppcoind -daemon -conf=/etc/peercoin/peercoin.conf -pid=/run/ppcoind/ppcoind.pid -datadir=/var/lib/ppcoind -loadblock=blk0001.dat

Sep 24 10:01:04 peerbox systemd[1]: Started PPCoin Daemon.

ppcoind is running.

try: ppcoind getinfo

If it does not work, check .ppcoin/ for your username/pass maybe something is messed up with that.

I got: [error: couldn’t connect to server] …

Have you tried sudo reboot?

So something is wrong with authentication with ppcoind.

cat .ppcoin/ppcoin.conf

sudo cat /etc/peercoin/peercoin.conf

rpcuser and rpcpassword must match in both files.

willywithcoinnode, I did reboot several times.

peerchemist, the user and password match.

I think my issues is similar to: http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=3269.0
Maybe I broke the system after modifying a configuration file without stopping the server.

sudo tail --lines 100 /var/lib/ppcoind/db.log gives me:

BDB0126 mmap: Invalid argument

I think I need to reinstall ppcoind. Do you know how can i do that?

[quote=“cryptog1, post:153, topic:2485”]willywithcoinnode, I did reboot several times.

peerchemist, the user and password match.

I think my issues is similar to: http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=3269.0
Maybe I broke the system after modifying a configuration file without stopping the server.

sudo tail --lines 100 /var/lib/ppcoind/db.log gives me:

BDB0126 mmap: Invalid argument

I think I need to reinstall ppcoind. Do you know how can i do that?[/quote]

What file did you change? Ppcoind should be configured trough /etc/conf.d/ppcoind.conf

Anyway, reinstalling ppcoind:

sudo pacman -S ppcoind

Tks for the tips, peerchemist.
I am redownloading the blockchain now…but it fixed the server connection issue.
I modified /etc/peercoin/peercoin.conf once but reverted to the default configuration later on…

[quote=“mhps, post:97, topic:2485”]With v0.21, upnp status on the router still shows to no openning of port. But manually turning on port forwarding now works! I am getting more than 8 connections now.

By the way, I wish user sunny is in ppcoind group so that I can check debug.log easily.

pps: I tried to log in as sunny from a remote machine and I got permission denied. I hope this is how it is supposed to behave because I don’t want anyone to login remotely (non-local network).[/quote]

Sadly I cannot get more than 8 connections although I have forwarded port 9901 to the Pi IP address…
I could get more than 8 connections with the “Peercoin on Raspberry PI” project.
I noticed that I had to enable [UPnP] on my rooter and my PI was recognized on the UPnP table…
Here [Peerbox project], I am under the same rooter configuration but the PI is not recognized on the UPnP table…
Any setting that I should make regarding /etc/conf.d/ppcoind.conf or /etc/peercoin/peercoin.conf about UPnP?

[quote=“cryptog1, post:156, topic:2485”][quote=“mhps, post:97, topic:2485”]With v0.21, upnp status on the router still shows to no openning of port. But manually turning on port forwarding now works! I am getting more than 8 connections now.

By the way, I wish user sunny is in ppcoind group so that I can check debug.log easily.

pps: I tried to log in as sunny from a remote machine and I got permission denied. I hope this is how it is supposed to behave because I don’t want anyone to login remotely (non-local network).[/quote]

Sadly I cannot get more than 8 connections although I have forwarded port 9901 to the Pi IP address…
I could get more than 8 connections with the “Peercoin on Raspberry PI” project.
I noticed that I had to enable [UPnP] on my rooter and my PI was recognized on the UPnP table…
Here [Peerbox project], I am under the same rooter configuration but the PI is not recognized on the UPnP table…
Any setting that I should make regarding /etc/conf.d/ppcoind.conf or /etc/peercoin/peercoin.conf about UPnP?[/quote]

with portforwarding enabled you dont need UPnP, it should work with both, don’t know if it is possible that they conflict (but that is my guess)

For anyone running a full node or minting using peerbox, I think would be wise to update your bash due to the bash bug that is affecting it.

Peerchemist and other experts, do you recommend a sudo pacman -Syu on all the nodes?

[quote=“GLock, post:158, topic:2485”]For anyone running a full node or minting using peerbox, I think would be wise to update your bash due to the bash bug that is affecting it.

Peerchemist and other experts, do you recommend a sudo pacman -Syu on all the nodes?[/quote]

Thanks for copying it here, I missed entirely those posts