[ANN] Peerbox project

[quote=“irritant, post:157, topic:2485”][quote=“cryptog1, post:156, topic:2485”][quote=“mhps, post:97, topic:2485”]With v0.21, upnp status on the router still shows to no openning of port. But manually turning on port forwarding now works! I am getting more than 8 connections now.

By the way, I wish user sunny is in ppcoind group so that I can check debug.log easily.

pps: I tried to log in as sunny from a remote machine and I got permission denied. I hope this is how it is supposed to behave because I don’t want anyone to login remotely (non-local network).[/quote]

Sadly I cannot get more than 8 connections although I have forwarded port 9901 to the Pi IP address…
I could get more than 8 connections with the “Peercoin on Raspberry PI” project.
I noticed that I had to enable [UPnP] on my rooter and my PI was recognized on the UPnP table…
Here [Peerbox project], I am under the same rooter configuration but the PI is not recognized on the UPnP table…
Any setting that I should make regarding /etc/conf.d/ppcoind.conf or /etc/peercoin/peercoin.conf about UPnP?[/quote]

with portforwarding enabled you dont need UPnP, it should work with both, don’t know if it is possible that they conflict (but that is my guess)[/quote]
I tried that. No luck.
I finally got to make it work by demilitariazing the peerbox ip address…
I am having 14 connections right now.
But is that secure?

minting and being a node at the same time right now tks to peerbox.
very cool feeling.

[sunny@peerbox ~]$ peerbox-info
Peerbox:
{
“peerbox version”: “v0.22”,
“ppcoind”: {
“balance”: 12.2832,
“blocks”: 135772,
“connections”: 9,
“difficulty”: 289146064.0125738,
“difficulty proof-of-stake”: 12.53326062,
“errors”: “”,
“ip”:XXX
“keypoololdest”: 1401872753,
“keypoolsize”: 101,
“moneysupply”: 21781048.244403,
“newmint”: 0.0,
“paytxfee”: 0.01,
“protocolversion”: 60004,
“proxy”: “”,
“stake”: 0.0,
“testnet”: false,
“unlocked_until”: 2412144494,
“version”: “v0.4.0ppc-4-g5ace24f-beta”,
“walletversion”: 60000
},
“raspi_board_rev”: “0xe”,
“serial”: “00000000c5018a1e”,
“uptime”: “1:08:09.130000”
}

12ppc is not enough though. I will increase that.

by the way upnp did not work for me.

yep, upnp is really broken with bitcoind and derivatives. But that could be due to buggy implementation on routers too.
I’ll continue to work on this however, since it is important.

yep, upnp is really broken with bitcoind and derivatives. But that could be due to buggy implementation on routers too.
I’ll continue to work on this however, since it is important.[/quote]

Tks for your work.

Hi peerchemist,

Thank you for your work on this exciting project!

I just have a few questions:

1. I’m a bit confused with the roadmap list, especially regarding the filesystem encryption. What do you mean by “encrypt it” for the filesystem? Is it possible to enable file system encryption at the current stage of the project?
  2. I would like to install peerbox on a bigger SD card for various reasons. Do you provide a tool to resize the file system partition(s)?
  3. What are your recommendations in term of peerbox upgrades? I’ve seen that you recently released the 0.23 version. Is there a way to upgrade without performing a full fresh install everytime? How about backing up our data (like the peercoin wallet)? Is it possible to have the wallet on a different partition and only upgrade the peerbox OS? Should we switch from one SD card to another to transfer the coins from one wallet (SD card 1) to another (SD card 2) because of security reasons?

Thanks and keep up the good work! :wink:

[quote=“Thireus, post:166, topic:2485”]Hi peerchemist,

Thank you for your work on this exciting project!

I just have a few questions:

1. I’m a bit confused with the roadmap list, especially regarding the filesystem encryption. What do you mean by “encrypt it” for the filesystem? Is it possible to enable file system encryption at the current stage of the project?
  2. I would like to install peerbox on a bigger SD card for various reasons. Do you provide a tool to resize the file system partition(s)?
  3. What are your recommendations in term of peerbox upgrades? I’ve seen that you recently released the 0.23 version. Is there a way to upgrade without performing a full fresh install everytime? How about backing up our data (like the peercoin wallet)? Is it possible to have the wallet on a different partition and only upgrade the peerbox OS? Should we switch from one SD card to another to transfer the coins from one wallet (SD card 1) to another (SD card 2) because of security reasons?

Thanks and keep up the good work! ;)[/quote]

Roadmap is just my general plans for the future, it is still to early to compile strict roadmap. Do not take it too serious.

1. Filesystem will be encrypted in the future. More info: Data-at-rest encryption - ArchWiki
    It is still not implemented, it will be in near future. I await for PCF project to start moving to provide user interface for disk encryption, I think this is a must have since disk encryption is a bit hard to configure and there should be some tool to simplify it.

2. Yes, you can do it. I do not provide any tools for this for now but they are in plan.
    What you can do is to prepare the SD card and then use some tool like Gparted or gnome-disks to resize partitions (both tools are native to linux/unix systems.)

3. I still recommend installing it as new image. You can update v0.22 image but I do not recommend it since it will miss some packages and I do not want to bother users to do the work manually. If you want to do it anyway just PM me and I’ll explain it to you.

Data can be backed up, sure. Check my post about backing up wallet, that works.
Wallet is on different partition, everything peercoin related is completely detached from the OS. Open image in Gparted or gnome-disks and you will see.

Should we switch from one SD card to another to transfer the coins from one wallet (SD card 1) to another (SD card 2) because of security reasons?

No, see above.

Awesome, thank you peerchemist. I will dig into peerbox as soon as I receive my Pi. I will probably want to contribute to this project on the security field. Could you give me some directions to address the issues or directly help on the peerbox implementation (i.e. github fork, report issues, etc.)?

Keep up the good work! :slight_smile:

Hello,
I need help with Peerbox, I have a raspberry Pi boot from the SD card and is asking for “Peerbox Login:” I try putting the default for the raspberry pi raspberry but it doesn’t not work. Does Peerbox have a default login? Thank you

ssh sunny@yourpeerboxip
password: peerbox.me

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere (likely), but I can’t find it.

I’m confused as to how to create the wallet, specifically how to transfer PPC from my desktop Peerunity to PeerBox. If I send them, I’ll lose my “days” seniority (I think…).

1. Can I copy wallet.dat from Peerunity to the PeerBox? Does wallet.dat contain anything more than my private/public keys? If that is all, it looks like a simple file copy would work.

2. Can I mint with the PeerBox and leave Peerunity open (not minting)? I would assume that with the same keys on both, I could see what is going on (i.e. if I receive any minted coins) from Peerunity - the transactions will show up there. Is this right?

3. Is there any difficulty “withdrawing” coins from the PeerBox? Again, if the wallet is shared with Peerunity, I’m guessing that the withdrawal/send could be done from Peerunity. Or do I need to copy wallet.dat back from PeerBox to Peerunity?

TIA from the helpless newbie.

[quote=“badgolfer, post:171, topic:2485”]Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere (likely), but I can’t find it.

I’m confused as to how to create the wallet, specifically how to transfer PPC from my desktop Peerunity to PeerBox. If I send them, I’ll lose my “days” seniority (I think…).

1. Can I copy wallet.dat from Peerunity to the PeerBox? Does wallet.dat contain anything more than my private/public keys? If that is all, it looks like a simple file copy would work.

2. Can I mint with the PeerBox and leave Peerunity open (not minting)? I would assume that with the same keys on both, I could see what is going on (i.e. if I receive any minted coins) from Peerunity - the transactions will show up there. Is this right?

3. Is there any difficulty “withdrawing” coins from the PeerBox? Again, if the wallet is shared with Peerunity, I’m guessing that the withdrawal/send could be done from Peerunity. Or do I need to copy wallet.dat back from PeerBox to Peerunity?

TIA from the helpless newbie.[/quote]

Can I copy wallet.dat from Peerunity to the PeerBox?

Yes, it is possible to just copy wallet.dat file from Peerunity to Peerbox.
See this: How to backup wallet.dat · peerchemist/Peerbox Wiki · GitHub

Can I mint with the PeerBox and leave Peerunity open (not minting)?

It is not recommended to have two instances of same wallet.dat on the network. If that is what you propose. This can lead to whole lot of complications. I advise to avoid this if possible. Choose safety of Peerbox or convenience of Peerunity to manage and mint your coins. Peerbox will reach parity with Peerunity, but not soon so this is the only way to use it right now - via linux terminal.

Is there any difficulty "withdrawing" coins from the PeerBox?

No, Peerbox used peercoin-daemon. The same client Peerunity uses internally. You can use this client via terminal commands, which are actually quite easy to learn. You already know of ppcoind getinfo, however there are many others.
With

ppcoind help
command you will get list of all options you can use, and this options cover all functionality of Peercoin client.
And yes I know, someone should make some guide about this to.

[quote=“peerchemist, post:172, topic:2485”]

Can I copy wallet.dat from Peerunity to the PeerBox?

Yes, it is possible to just copy wallet.dat file from Peerunity to Peerbox.
See this: How to backup wallet.dat · peerchemist/Peerbox Wiki · GitHub

Is there any difficulty "withdrawing" coins from the PeerBox?

No, Peerbox used peercoin-daemon. The same client Peerunity uses internally. You can use this client via terminal commands, which are actually quite easy to learn. You already know of ppcoind getinfo, however there are many others.
With

ppcoind help
command you will get list of all options you can use, and this options cover all functionality of Peercoin client.
And yes I know, someone should make some guide about this to.[/quote]

Thanks bunches. That clears up a lot.

But one more question on PeerBox “withdrawals”. If I use the PeerBox client commands, won’t I lose my coin-days? If so, can I avoid this by transferring wallet.dat back to Peerunity?

Yes, every transaction will use coin days and reset them to zero.

That is if you want to use Peerbox as your wallet, ie. use it for transactions it will act as any other PPC client.
So, to bypass this you transfer wallet.dat in Peerbox.
In any time you can return wallet.dat file to Peerunity and continue using it with Peerunity. Just make sure you are careful at every step of the process, do backups and such so you dont loose your coins due to some stupid mistake you make.

I have a paper copy of private keys. If PPC is like BTC, this should work as a last case resort if I screw something up!

Hopefully last question:

My router - using DHCP - sometimes mixes up IP addresses, like if the power blinks. How do I assign a static IP to the PeerBox? I can set one in the router if I know the MAC address, but do I have to issue a command to PeerBox itself?

[quote=“badgolfer, post:175, topic:2485”]I have a paper copy of private keys. If PPC is like BTC, this should work as a last case resort if I screw something up!

Hopefully last question:

My router - using DHCP - sometimes mixes up IP addresses, like if the power blinks. How do I assign a static IP to the PeerBox? I can set one in the router if I know the MAC address, but do I have to issue a command to PeerBox itself?[/quote]

Static IP is best configured on router - using MAC address as you have said.
There is not need to do anything on Peerbox.

[quote=“badgolfer, post:175, topic:2485”]I have a paper copy of private keys. If PPC is like BTC, this should work as a last case resort if I screw something up!

Hopefully last question:

My router - using DHCP - sometimes mixes up IP addresses, like if the power blinks. How do I assign a static IP to the PeerBox? I can set one in the router if I know the MAC address, but do I have to issue a command to PeerBox itself?[/quote]

You do it like this:

nano -w /etc/netctl/eth0

And edit it so it looks like this:

[code]Description=‘Static eth0 IP for Peerbox’
Interface=eth0
Connection=ethernet
IP=static
Address=(‘192.168.0.16/24’)
#Routes=(‘192.168.0.0/24 via 192.168.0.1’)
Gateway=‘192.168.0.1’
DNS=(‘8.8.8.8’ ‘8.8.4.4’)

For IPv6 autoconfiguration

#IP6=stateless

For IPv6 static address configuration

#IP6=static
#Address6=(‘1234:5678:9abc:def::1/64’ ‘1234:3456::123/96’)
#Routes6=(‘abcd::1234’)[/code]

Basically you just need to change DHCP for static, and add Address, Gateway and DNS entries.
Then restart your Peerbox.

[quote=“Thireus, post:177, topic:2485”]You do it like this:

nano -w /etc/netctl/eth0

And edit it so it looks like this:

[code]Description=‘Static eth0 IP for Peerbox’
Interface=eth0
Connection=ethernet
IP=static
Address=(‘192.168.0.16/24’)
#Routes=(‘192.168.0.0/24 via 192.168.0.1’)
Gateway=‘192.168.0.1’
DNS=(‘8.8.8.8’ ‘8.8.4.4’)

For IPv6 autoconfiguration

#IP6=stateless

For IPv6 static address configuration

#IP6=static
#Address6=(‘1234:5678:9abc:def::1/64’ ‘1234:3456::123/96’)
#Routes6=(‘abcd::1234’)[/code]

Basically you just need to change DHCP for static, and add Address, Gateway and DNS entries.
Then restart your Peerbox.[/quote]

I see you have mastered Arch quite quickly :slight_smile:

Got PeerBox up and working. Has been updating the blockchain for the last 24 hours. Getting port forwarding to work was frustrating, because of a firmware update to my router making it extremely difficult. (I have had software updates to 4 devices in the last week and all have caused me grief…) However, I currently show 12 connections.

A couple more questions:

1. I don’t see an “unlock” command in the ppcoind help. Does the PeerBox wallet need to be unlocked for minting?

2. (slightly off-topic) Does the ppcoind “move” command transfer PPC w/o losing coin-days? It appears to be for transferring coins within the same wallet, I think.

Thanks for all your help.

[quote=“badgolfer, post:179, topic:2485”]A couple more questions:

1. I don’t see an “unlock” command in the ppcoind help. Does the PeerBox wallet need to be unlocked for minting?

2. (slightly off-topic) Does the ppcoind “move” command transfer PPC w/o losing coin-days? It appears to be for transferring coins within the same wallet, I think.

Thanks for all your help.[/quote]

1. Use “mintbox” command.

2. Yes, it will consume coin-days I guess (never tried it). And yes it is for moving coins in the same wallet.