Which notable figures *could* appear on a physical Primecoin one day?

[x-posted from reddit.com/r/primecoin]

Since CoinDesk asked the question about Satoshi’s face being included on physical Bitcoins - I started thinking of how to best recognize individuals who have made an “indisputable contribution” to primes and abstract mathematics.

There are too many individuals to recognize them all, so I’ve started a list below. Chime in and comment if I’ve missed anyone obvious, or suggest remixes of the denominations…

In each case I’ve relied on Wikipedia/Google to check that a likeness of each individual is available.
Much like Satoshi, I can’t find a likeness of Sunny King, but he may step forward one day :wink:
[sup](Unless Sunny King is Satoshi’s new pseudonym in which case we will never know)[/sup]

Given the market acceptance level I think there is a good collector market for these physical coins :wink: Question is who is gonna take on the task?

BTW you missed 3 of the 4 portraits I included in my design paper :wink:

[quote=“Sunny King, post:2, topic:240”]Given the market acceptance level I think there is a good collector market for these physical coins :wink: Question is who is gonna take on the task?

BTW you missed 3 of the 4 portraits I included in my design paper ;)[/quote]

Well i’m on the verge of having some peercoins made up, so i’ll see if I can do a run of a few Primecoins as well :slight_smile: sure i’ll get some interest

FuzzyBear

Good point Sunny, I was concentrated on the text of your paper so was completely oblivious to the portraits within. Considering that producing many variants of physical coins is costly, I have will limit it to 3-5 different denominations (probably the portraits included in your paper).

I am putting some serious thought into making these coins, and do believe they will be highly collectable, it is the funding & operations side of the project that is difficult.

[quote=“FuzzyBear, post:3, topic:240”]Well i’m on the verge of having some peercoins made up, so i’ll see if I can do a run of a few Primecoins as well :slight_smile: sure i’ll get some interest

FuzzyBear[/quote]

FuzzyBear - I’m sure there will be interest too :slight_smile:

Good idea, but do not forget to include Bernhard Riemann.
As mentioned by Sunny King, the psi symbol (used for the second Chebyshev function ψ(x) ) was based on Riemann’s zeta function to estimate prime density.

Good suggestion, I dug up a photo of Selfridge here. I should add Erdős as well.

[quote=“seemee, post:5, topic:240”]Good idea, but do not forget to include Bernhard Riemann.
As mentioned by Sunny King, the psi symbol (used for the second Chebyshev function ψ(x) ) was based on Riemann’s zeta function to estimate prime density.[/quote]

Yea, Sunny pointed out that I’d missed some obvious people such as Riemann.

The current list is:

[ul][li]Eratosthenes[/li]
[li]Marin Mersenne[/li]
[li]Pierre de Fermat[/li]
[li]Leonhard Euler[/li]
[li]Joseph-Louis Lagrange[/li]
[li]Marie-Sophie Germain[/li]
[li]Bernhard Riemann[/li]
[li]Édouard Lucas[/li]
[li]Paul Erdős[/li]
[li]John Selfridge[/li]
[li]Derrick Henry Lehmer[/li]
[li]A.O.L. Atkin[/li]
[li]John Selfridge[/li][/ul]

A few notable people I haven’t found photos for:

[ul][li]Allan J.C. Cunningham[/li]
[li]Herbert J. Woodall[/li][/ul]

My PrimeNote

Wow what a nice note you got there pencityusa!

Some minor bugs, the upper left still says ‘Bitcoin Address’, also maybe you can try the official icon
https://github.com/primecoin/primecoin/blob/master/src/qt/res/icons/primecoin.png
to see if it looks even better.

BTW did you use the client wallet to generate the QR code or some other tool?

Good Job!

[quote=“pencityusa, post:7, topic:240”]My PrimeNote

[/quote]

really cool pencityusa, good job!

also love the idea of having mathemetician and scientist faces on primecoins o/p

btw SUNNY , could you have a look at this thread please?
http://www.ppcointalk.org/index.php?topic=413.0

Prime Coins denominated in primes? Cute but silly…

Sharing is caring!

AGsjwwbjy7F2wwDp8Tf5reuBoVFq54UcrM