When do we expect to see the first attack on the network?

How much “primepower” the network has now? The baseline wallet is not very optimized according to Sunny. There have been claims that significant improvement has been made one day after release ( e.g. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=251850.msg2686127#msg2686127 ). I see a real chance that someone’s getting hold of a massively improved miner and deploying it on a botnet. I think a 51% attack is within reach already.

How does the built-in user-enable’able checkpoint work? Under what guideline it should be activated? How to activate it?

I’m at over 80PPs for 41 hours and still no block for me. So, I’m assuming since I started a little later than everyone that I’m fubar.

This isn’t in response to you, more of an observation…but I don’t think many people grumbling on the main bitcointalk thread understand the basics of statistical probabilities. If someone has a 10% chance of finding a “special card” in a package of baseball cards, odds would be that you would find 1 “special card” if you bought 10 packs of baseball cards. It’s possible they might go 50 packs in between finding one, and it’s possible they might get 10 packs in a row that has the “special card”.

Mining rates are not uniform guaranteed payouts; they’re odds.

You have been very unlikely however, hopefully you find one soon!

I don’t believe a 51% attack is a worry at this moment. Though it would be very nice if someone released an optimized miner to the public. It would be great if this happened a day ago… since I have talked to several people who have made significant optimizations.

It is expected that there will always be miners with great advantages over others. The problem is that XPM should be getting distributed “fairly” evenly right now, and when people have 1,000% productivity increase through optimizations and they keep it to themselves, it only ends up hurting the community in the end.

This isn’t in response to you, more of an observation…but I don’t think many people grumbling on the main bitcointalk thread understand the basics of statistical probabilities. If someone has a 10% chance of finding a “special card” in a package of baseball cards, odds would be that you would find 1 “special card” if you bought 10 packs of baseball cards. It’s possible they might go 50 packs in between finding one, and it’s possible they might get 10 packs in a row that has the “special card”.

Mining rates are not uniform guaranteed payouts; they’re odds.

You have been very unlikely however, hopefully you find one soon![/quote]

I’m an intermediate level poker player so I get statistics game theory ROI etc. and some FOREX lingo.

I have trolled EVERY SINGLE POST on forums including BTC forums, here, and Reddit, and have yet to find A SINGLE person who has mined for as long as me (at 61-90PPS) and not found a block. For the record I live in EST Canada (maybe I have terrible latency???) and I’m using an i3-3225 Ivy Bridge. It’s unlocked to 3.4GHz (usually at 3.3GHz) with 110% CPU Load Line Calibration in bios for stability’s sake–I ran some burn in tests multiple times and have had a smooth run so no worries there. Also did some memory tests and have a great fast L1 L2 L3 cache improvements with the small overclock and my ram is great and lo latency.

Ok sorry if that was too much info. I just want to put it out there in case I’m doing something wrong here having anything modified beyond stock clocks.

My adress: AWteuqJKj9XR9hZTdZYedxy4BxAnx6dakM

I recieved 1 donation of 0.1 XPM. Kind of explains my luck. It’s something like playing the bad end of a 4.1-1 hand and losing 30 times. You’re “supposed to” win 1/5.1 times… It all evens out in the end, however the END of Primecoin means a higher difficulty and different mining software (GPU mining and maybe ASICS) so no, it doesn’t all even out.

Sorry about the rant. It’s late. I’m pissed. My CPU is 58C all night for 3 days for what?

An optimized version for linux has been posted at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=251850.msg2692934#msg2692934 and one for windows at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=251850.msg2693136#msg2693136
Howevery I for one worry about running a downloaded binary from a random person.

If the posted easy improvements are valid I think a quick delta official release of the wallet might be called for to increase networks security in the initial priod.

DudeGuy, I would very strongly recommend getting a build of the latest code. It is about 7x faster than the official release 0.1 available on source forge. I’m getting around 550 pps on core 2 quads and 1k on i7s.