US issues tax rules for cryptos

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303949704579461502538024502?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702303949704579461502538024502.html

Updated March 25, 2014 2:25 p.m. ET

The Internal Revenue Service said Tuesday that it will treat bitcoin and other virtual currencies like property, not currency, giving a potential boost to investors but imposing extensive record-keeping rules—and significant taxes—on its use.
More

Read the IRS Notice

The announcement in general was expected to be greeted favorably by the fledgling industry, and many had anticipated exactly this result. But the announcement also served as a reminder that new technologies often can’t avoid being subject to the old rules for long.

In a notice, the IRS said that it generally would treat bitcoin held by investors much like stock or other intangible property. If the virtual currency is held for investment, any gains would be treated as capital gains, meaning they could be subject to lower tax rates.

The top long-term capital gains tax rate is 20%, while the top ordinary income-tax rate is 39.6%, although add-on taxes often make both rates somewhat higher. But as capital investments, loss deductions from bitcoin often would be limited, whereas currency losses can be easier to deduct up front.

The IRS notice also made clear that many people involved in handling virtual currencies—and many transactions involving them—would be subject to the same extensive record-keeping requirements, and taxes, as other people and other deals.

Notably, use of bitcoin in a retail transaction typically would be a taxable “event” for many buyers, requiring them to figure out the gain they had made on the virtual currency—and eventually pay tax on it. Tax experts say that could come as a surprise to some investors. It also could put a damper on use of bitcoin for many retail purchases.

The IRS also said that bitcoin “miners”–including people who use computers to validate bitcoin transactions or maintain transaction ledgers—also would be subject to tax on payments received in bitcoin. “Mining” that constitutes a trade or business would be subject to self-employment taxes, the IRS said.

Other people who receive bitcoin for performing services—including employees as well as independent contractors—also would be subject to tax on the fair market value of the virtual currency, the IRS said. Employers typically would have to report wages on a Form W-2, and the payments would be subject to withholding and payroll taxes, the IRS said.

And in general, many bitcoin payments made by a business exceeding $600 in value—such as for rent, salaries, wages, premiums and compensation—would be subject to information reporting to the IRS and to the payee. Payments to independent contractors also would be taxable and subject to information reporting on Form 1099.

Also, dealers in bitcoin—much like dealers in other types of property—would be subject to different tax principles than individual investors, and their gains generally would be taxed as ordinary income. And businesses that agree to settle payments between merchants and customers would be required to report many payments.

The IRS also said taxpayers may be subject to penalties for failure to comply with tax laws. The notice also applies to prior years.

The IRS guidance targets a new crop of digital currencies used by a small number of merchants, consumers and investors. Bitcoin, the best-known of the group, is created using a computer process and can be exchanged for dollars online. All the bitcoins in the world were valued at about $7.25 billion on Tuesday afternoon, according to the CoinDesk price index.

Some bitcoin users adopted the technology because it isn’t backed by any country, but its growing popularity has brought the scrutiny of regulators. While other countries have outlawed bitcoin, U.S. regulators have generally said it must meet existing laws regarding money laundering, fraud and other issues.

The IRS offered clarity about the tax treatment of virtual currencies, but it also raised new questions. If bitcoin can be treated as an investment for tax purposes, for instance, should bitcoin exchanges be overseen by the Securities and Exchange Commission? The SEC and other agencies are still studying the matter, according to U.S. officials.

The IRS notice also shed little new light on the question of whether virtual currencies could become significant new mechanisms for tax evasion, and how the IRS would try to combat that problem if it arises.

Write to John D. McKinnon at john.mckinnon@wsj.com and Ryan Tracy at ryan.tracy@wsj.com

So those MtGox thieves will now have to keep extensive records and report what they stole to the IRS as a capital gain, interesting…

Wow this is major major hit on coins. So now if you want to send somebody coins you are required to pay sales tax like when person A is buying car or house etc from person B huh this is worse then all out ban. If I read it correctly even miners are required to pay income tax on mined coins now, even if they don’t cash out!!!

MINERS HURT

New bitcoins come from a process called mining. Computer programmers around the world compete to crack an automatically generated code and the first to do so is rewarded with a small stash. This happens about every 10 minutes.

Some online retailers will accept bitcoins as payment. The maximum potential number of bitcoins in circulation is 21 million, compared with around 12 million currently.

On the IRS guidance, William Lewis, a lawyer in Sunnyvale, California, who represents a start-up company creating a platform for virtual currencies, said: "This is going to be unfavorable to bitcoin miners because they’re going to have to include in income the fair market value of the virtual currency on the date they mined it.

“It’s going to make life difficult for a lot of people who have been mining over the past year, who have to go back and see what the values were on those dates when they mined it.”

Moving into the future, what positive spin off can we make something like this for Peercoin? We keep referring to it like a savings/interest bearing account. So does it not stand to reason that the taxation would be less severe? If it’s left alone, like a 401k style thing? Or …?

Hmm, so the next wallet has an automatic % taken out on each transaction value what goes straight to the taxman :o

Under this tax system no crypto would survive. Only chance is that people don’t obey and don’t pay taxes and I would expect something like that to happen. But bitcoin network security will be much weaker now as all “enterprise” miners will quit. Now we can see how good idea was to be anonymous by Satosi and Sunny.

Unfortunately, as I work through the the consequences of the new IRS tax ruling it does appear to me that this ruling will have catastrophic consequences on cryptos. For example, I expect Nxt to be devastated and probably destroyed. Bitcoin will likely be badly damaged, led by economic damage to the bitcoin miners and a chilling effect on retail sales.

On the upside, if there is such a thing, Peercoin is more likely to survive than any other crypto of which I am aware. Although, the PPC price might decline precipitously as we go through the economic bottleneck that will kill many cryptos.

In future posts I will give some rationale for this dark concern and these conclusions.

For now, I would recommend not rushing for the exits: that would just cause damage. Some think they are nimble traders - able to get in and out, rapidly, buy low and sell high, but let’s be honest and mature: that hardly ever works. And, if you could get out, where would you put your money? In the world of fiat money-from-debt there are choppy and rising seas and few safe harbors. The entire industrialized world is at this time deep in denial that it is in fact mired in a worsening huge economic crisis. The denial cannot last. The consequences of gigantically leveraged, drowning-in-debt fiat cannot be denied forever. Large amounts of today’s apparent wealth as stored in fiat money, bonds and collectibles will be destroyed in coming years.

Outside of that system, we are here in cryptos because we are visionaries and technologists, risk-takers, brave souls who love and are attracted to new and wondrous possibilities. We are making a better future.

I say, if you are in Peercoin, stay the course. We are heading into the teeth of a terrible storm. If we stay calm and resolute through the coming trials and tribulations, then many years from now when we look back on this time, we will be able to look back with pride and we will know that we have earned our sense of self-respect. We will know that through great adversity we prevailed, survived and pioneered a new and better way for humans to trade and cooperate with one another. So, it is important that we stay the course.

Stay the course. Stay Strong.

When others are gripped by panic and foundering at sea. Remember that Peercoin is the best and most seaworthy ship; even though the storm is terrible and there is no land to be seen, nor apparently any safe harbor, and the horizon is dark. Remember, you are riding on the most seaworthy ship. Peercoin was built to survive long-term.

Always remember: Stay the course.

Sorry for the melodrama, but I do believe, because of this IRS ruling, it is time to psychologically start “securing the gear” and “battening down the hatches”.

Edit: spelling

@Ken +1
I’m quite astonished seeing PPC drop in relation to coins advertised as VISA’s competitors, doesn’t make sense imo.

(One) component of an ideal Peercoin wallet application, in light of the IRS Notice, would be to include a way of exporting transaction information that your addresses conducted, tied to a user-selected valuation reference (initially, an exchange, but possibly another commodity’s pricing on that date/time – like precious metals, or a basket of stocks).

While I doubt that it will have a huge effect, in the short term, I do wonder if the Notice will be a chill on the frequency that new cryptocurrencies are brought to market (in particular, pre-mined offerings). Previously, they were more or less “costless” to the developer, and the upside was huge. Now, however, if I am sitting on 1.0B units of NotARealCoin (NARC) – I seed the market with 10,000 NARC to buy/sell with my cronies to pump it up, so dupes can convert the rest of my holdings into cash – my potential tax liabilities are staggering.

Sure, you can argue that the dev would never declare the income but I can assure you, if you’re a United States citizen and you’ve found a way to make a couple of hundred million dollars (seemingly) outside of the IRS’s view, you’re in for a rude surprise when you’re audited because your expenditures don’t at all match what you reported.

With the new requirements to figure out your capital gains on purchases, there is now a huge onus on consumers to keep detailed records of their Bitcoin investment purchases. It will be very laborious, and dissuade many from using Bitcoin as an every day transactional mechanism.

Unless a cryptocurrency is developed that has a truly stable USD value, I don’t see cryptocurrencies being used for everyday purchases in their current forms. Jordan Lee alluded to the usefulness of such a creation in his Peershares thread.

Don’t panic or lose heart everyone all bitcoin derived protocols work in a way that makes tracking the required info incredibly doable by using the blockchain. :wink:

Additional Food for thought http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/21g6sx/i_am_a_tax_attorney_here_is_what_the_irs_notice/

[quote=“David, post:10, topic:2094”]With the new requirements to figure out your capital gains on purchases, there is now a huge onus on consumers to keep detailed records of their Bitcoin investment purchases. It will be very laborious, and dissuade many from using Bitcoin as an every day transactional mechanism.

Unless a cryptocurrency is developed that has a truly stable USD value, I don’t see cryptocurrencies being used for everyday purchases in their current forms. Jordan Lee alluded to the usefulness of such a creation in his Peershares thread.[/quote]

Just so I’m not misinterpreting this, you aren’t admitting defeat are you?

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:12, topic:2094”][quote=“David, post:10, topic:2094”]With the new requirements to figure out your capital gains on purchases, there is now a huge onus on consumers to keep detailed records of their Bitcoin investment purchases. It will be very laborious, and dissuade many from using Bitcoin as an every day transactional mechanism.

Unless a cryptocurrency is developed that has a truly stable USD value, I don’t see cryptocurrencies being used for everyday purchases in their current forms. Jordan Lee alluded to the usefulness of such a creation in his Peershares thread.[/quote]

Just so I’m not misinterpreting this, you aren’t admitting defeat are you?[/quote]

I’m still very much invested in Peercoin’s success. It’s becoming clear however that further evolutions will need to take place before widespread acceptance occurs of crypto currencies.

It’s becoming clear however that further evolutions will need to take place before the entire world economy gets fixed in general.

No country is exempt it seems. Money is tight for most people around the globe. If cryptocurrency can’t make a difference then some thing else will come along and do it. World economies simply can’t keep going down this path much longer.

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:12, topic:2094”][quote=“David, post:10, topic:2094”]With the new requirements to figure out your capital gains on purchases, there is now a huge onus on consumers to keep detailed records of their Bitcoin investment purchases. It will be very laborious, and dissuade many from using Bitcoin as an every day transactional mechanism.

Just so I’m not misinterpreting this, you aren’t admitting defeat are you?[/quote]

I doubt that is what David is implying. This tax ruling (which shouldn’t have surprised anyone), brings focus to the unpleasant fact that Bitcoin and Peercoin are too volatile for use in ordinary business transactions. They are not currencies. They are cryptocommodities. We need a cryptocurrency: something stable in value that has no capital gains or losses and no attendant accounting complexities.

There was a time when I believed Bitcoin would provide a permanent and stable foundation for a decentralized financial ecosystem. Sunny King had the courage to see that this was unfortunately not the case, but he didn’t admit defeat. He engineered Peercoin as a solution to the shortcomings of Bitcoin. We must be honest and brave in admitting the flaws of Peercoin to begin to able to engineer a solution to those shortcomings. If you can articulate a problem well, a solution tends to emerge.

Bitcoin is made obsolete by Peercoin. I don’t think Peercoin has to rendered obsolete to engineer a solution to its volatility problem, but I do think it is time to stop imagining Peercoin can make a good currency in its present form. That is emotionally challenging for a lot of people on this forum.

[quote=“Ken”]Jordan, many people supporting Bitcoin say that the volatility problem is only temporary, that it will stabilize in time. Do you disagree with that (and for Peecoin as well), or do you believe that it won’t stabilize in time before another crypto comes out that has better, inherent stabilizing mechanisms in its design?

Do you see solutions for Peercoin to make it better than it is now?[/quote]

I don’t think Bitcoin or Peercoin are on a trajectory that will lead to stable pricing. Increased liquidity will not solve the problem satisfactorily. A completely different protocol will be required to solve the volatility problem. I will say more about this later.

[quote=“Jordan Lee, post:16, topic:2094”][quote=“Ken”]Jordan, many people supporting Bitcoin say that the volatility problem is only temporary, that it will stabilize in time. Do you disagree with that (and for Peecoin as well), or do you believe that it won’t stabilize in time before another crypto comes out that has better, inherent stabilizing mechanisms in its design?

Do you see solutions for Peercoin to make it better than it is now?[/quote]

I don’t think Bitcoin or Peercoin are on a trajectory that will lead to stable pricing. Increased liquidity will not solve the problem satisfactorily. A completely different protocol will be required to solve the volatility problem. I will say more about this later.[/quote]

Have you discussed this with Sunny? I’m not sure what’s on your mind, but you’d have to be able to convince him before he would allow it. I imagine this still retains pos and the features that make Peercoin what it is?

I think volatility can be good. It can give poor people a better opportunity to buy in and lead to better wealth distribution. With the cryptocurrency industry market cap in the single digit billions, people shouldn’t be surprised there is volatility in these markets. It’s normal and should be expected.

“Crypto-derivates” could help stabilize volatility. Basically, allowing you to bet on either rising of falling prices.

Jordan, how does volatility affect Peershares, I always wondered how a start-up can raise an exact amount of capital if the value of Peercoin is fluctuating all the time.

All the US ruling does is push cryptos off shore.

Crypto like water will floor to the lowest (tax) point. The transaction will occur there.

See how Apple legally avoids massive tax because if where the transactions take place.

This will occur everywhere