(Tutorial) Configuring Peercoin Proof-of-Stake Minting on OS X

Very helpful. Thanks!

I’m getting a different error from what everyone else seems to be. Any ideas on what is going wrong?

Macintosh:PPCoin Jared$ ./start.sh
Please ensure that you have started PPCoin-Qt before entering your passphrase.
Enter Peercoin wallet passphrase: Starting ppcoind with stake minting enabled
error: couldn’t connect to server

[quote=“marvelman, post:82, topic:939”]I’m getting a different error from what everyone else seems to be. Any ideas on what is going wrong?

error: couldn’t connect to server[/quote]

That’s usually caused by one of two issues.

1. Confirm that the line, server=1, is not commented out (there should not be a # in front of it) in [font=courier]ppcoin.conf[/font]
  2. If that line looks ok, check to see that you have PPCoin-Qt running before you try to use [font=courier]start.sh[/font]

All set-up, thanks. 8)

Note: With v0.3.0 of the client, I’ve noticed that if I have an incoming transaction that has not yet cleared validation, that if you’ve run[font=courier] start.sh[/font], the PPCoin-Qt interface won’t remove the "wallet is locked’ message. Once that transaction has cleared, the client will correctly remove the message.

I’ve updated the steps to reflect this information.

From what I can tell, and from what polling ppcoind directly tells me, you’re set up for minting stake if you’ve followed the steps above. Running start.sh again, after it’s been run correctly once, reports back with:

error: {"code":-17,"message":"Error: Wallet is already unlocked, use walletlock first if need to change unlock settings."}

I’ll add an issue to the Github repository calling this out, and if I hear any updates, I’ll add them to this post.

Any idea when the new client is coming out?
I’m still having difficulties getting the minting setup :-[ its exhausting being a n00b sometimes

[quote=“yellowecho, post:86, topic:939”]Any idea when the new client is coming out?
I’m still having difficulties getting the minting setup :-[ its exhausting being a n00b sometimes[/quote]
I feel your pain. All I want to do is mint lol

This might be a silly question … but shouldn’t minting be easier? Is there going to be some easier way to do this that’s going to be included in the next client update?

It’s not a silly question at all, and yes, we all agree that it needs to be easier. I’m hopeful that we’ll see an improved UI for minting within the next two to four months.

It’s not a silly question at all, and yes, we all agree that it needs to be easier. I’m hopeful that we’ll see an improved UI for minting within the next two to four months.[/quote]

If I can ask anoter stupid question then…

If I don’t enable minting until then, am I losing value? Or rather, if I’m reading this correctly, my coins will “age” no matter what I do (presuming I don’t move them).

Other than (potential) compounding of your stake, you aren’t missing out by holding off. You’ll still accumulate coinage and when you do attempt to mint, in the future, the block reward will reflect the time you’ve held the coins.

[quote=“Ben, post:83, topic:939”][quote=“marvelman, post:82, topic:939”]I’m getting a different error from what everyone else seems to be. Any ideas on what is going wrong?

error: couldn’t connect to server[/quote]

That’s usually caused by one of two issues.

1. Confirm that the line, server=1, is not commented out (there should not be a # in front of it) in [font=courier]ppcoin.conf[/font]
  2. If that line looks ok, check to see that you have PPCoin-Qt running before you try to use [font=courier]start.sh[/font][/quote]

Just wanted to report that in my case it was because in the instructions I saw that I had to have PPCoin-Qt running—so I didn’t close it and start it up again after editing the [font=courier]ppcoin.conf[/font].

Totally obvious in hindsight: edit conf, start qt, then start shellscript. Humiliating myself in public for the sake of anyone who might run into the same message (clearly there was at least one.)

This guide has been perfect to get me to the point where I can start minting. But I don’t :’(
Is it simply a matter of waiting til it starts or do I have to kickstart it some way? And yes, wallet is unlocked for minting and the coins have appropriate age.

Any help much appreciated.

Minting isn’t something that happens immediately, so if you Peercoin wallet client is showing as “unlocked for minting” and your coins are mature, all you can do is wait for a block to be solved. It could be quick, or it could take days, weeks or months. One thing to keep in mind though is that even if it took a long time, the eventual reward you’ll see from the block you solve will be calculated based on the age of the coins – e.g. if it took a year to solve the block, you’d see the full 1%, if it took two years, you’d see 2%.

Depending on the amount of coins that are mature, it could be a lot quicker than either of those, so I don’t want to discourage you, but at the same time, realize that there are a finite number of blocks that can be solved per day, and a lot of people attempting to mint.

May the odds be ever in your favor!

Ha, thanks for the feedback. I’m happy to wait, I feel very positive towards peercoin.

So, how does minting on the Mac OS X peercoin v0.4 work now?

With the official client, you can use the debug console to do it. I’ll include instructions when I get a chance.

With Peerunity, there is a menu item. I’ll try to build an OSX version tonight and get that posted. In both cases, I’ll need to update this thread.

Any update on the OS X version… or did I miss something?

For the majority of OS X users, the best option for a Peercoin wallet is now Peerunity. It has more features than the standard client, and is also much easier to use (especially for minting).

Download it here: http://peercoin.net/download-peerunity

Read about Peerunity and FAQs: http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2902.0

To mint using Peerunity:

Minting is now very easy. All you need to do is enable it in your client, and leave your client running with a connection to the Peercoin network. To start with, make sure you have encrypted your client with a strong passphrase that you will not lose. You will now need to get some coins in your wallet!

Then simply press the “Unlock Wallet for Minting Only” button, enter your passphrase and press OK.

You can check you are minting by looking at the little padlock in the bottom right corner of the client. It should now be unlocked. If you hover your mouse over it, it should say “Wallet is encypted and currently unlocked for block minting only”.

How long it takes you to mint a block will depend on how many coins you have. Here’s a handy tool to work out your chances: http://poscalculator.peercointalk.org/ (The current POS difficulty can be found by entering the command [font=courier]getdifficulty[/font] into the debug console of Peerunity…go to help -> debug window -> console).