TESTNET for upcoming 0.4 release

FOR DEVELOPERS ONLY:

I figured I’d get two different ppcoind’s running on testnet.

I recommend other people who have spare machines laying around doing nothing, it might be a good idea to get one humming on testnet so we can try out how 0.4 performs on a 0.3 testnet, etc.

TESTNET is for testing fake peercoins and should not be used with any real coins or your main computer.

Sample ppcoin.conf file for testnet.

# Enter TESTING / fake mode
testnet=1

# my private rpcuser info
rpcuser=pick-a-username
rpcpassword=pick-a-password

# which hosts can access my wallet
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1

# do not generate blocks unless you really need to
gen=0

# run in daemon mode as a background process
daemon=1

# run as a server accepting rpc commands
server=1

# how many peernodes can connect to me simultaneously
maxconnections=25

# Note: Testnet is not to be used with real coins or real peercoin addresses. Be careful.

Did I miss something? Is it already available?

Sunny said that as soon as he pushes the 0.4 release candidate up, it will work on testnet only in the beginning.

So I’m taking a pro-active approach by creating a testnet node and getting use to the ideas of how testnet works so I can help test 0.4 as soon as it gets released for testing.

www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2400.msg19779#msg19779

Good idea. Do we have a Testnet faucet?

Yes: http://testnet.peercoinfaucet.com/

Can I have a question on this? I would like to try one issue I have in mind on testnet. I want to know if I can modify the wallet so that it does not split large stakes and the network still accept these blocks. (I would call it attack, but it is a very weak attack, so maybe it is too strong word.) The questions are:

1. Is this testnet the good place to do that?
  2. Since this experiment needs minting, is there a way, how to speed the process up for testing purposes? (Let’s say instead of maturing process between 30-90 days, it would be happening between 1-3 days, which is time I can easily wait.)
  3. Is there some form of blockchain explorer I could use to visualize the testnet blockchain?

Thank you!

Edit: I see that the blocks are generated faster here, one per 2 minutes. This probably answers my question 2 - I should be able to wait for 10 days for the test.

I don’t remember seeing anything that would prevent you to do that. So I think it will work.
The split/combine thresholds are only used at block creation time, not when they’re received.
I don’t think it’s a problem though. You only alter your own contribution to the security of the network.

I think so.

On testnet, the minimum age to mint is 1 day: https://github.com/ppcoin/ppcoin/blob/master/src/main.cpp#L2234

I don’t know any, but it would be useful.

Is there some form of blockchain explorer I could use to visualize the testnet blockchain?

Snakie’s blockparser should be straight-forward to set up, but AFAIK, there’s no web front-end for it, so you’d need to run it locally and point it against your testnet database. I’m going to send a note to see if (s)he’s got any recommendations on how to include a UI, or if there’s an existing framework that this could be tweaked to work with. I’ll provide an update if I hear anything back.

Thank you very much! The blockparser looks great! I think I will be able to extract all necessary data.

I tried to compile the blockparser, but I run to this error under Ubuntu 12.04:

c++ -- cb/peerstats.cpp lnk -- parser /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcql collect2: ld returned 1 exit status make: *** [parser] Error 1

Apparently, Ubuntu is missing CQL library. I looked for solution, but I found nothing relevant. Is there some better solution of this problem than reinstallation of Ubuntu to newer version? Thank you!