Terminology (Peercoin, not PeerCoin)

Writing terminology in a consistent way gives a better impression. Most important in articles and main websites of course, but I hope for wide adoption. :wink:

Peercoin, not PeerCoin.
Primecoin, not PrimeCoin.
cryptocurrency, not crypto-currency.
PPCoin, not PPcoin. Don’t use at all.
altcoin, not alt-coin. Avoid usage, esp. with Peercoin.

I find hyphens make these easier to read and understand in text.

proof-of-stake (PoS)
proof-of-work (PoW)

or if you capitalise (e.g. in headings):
Proof-of-Stake
Proof-of-Work

With recent change of brand and domain there may be entries on the forum i have missed… please feel free to link any posts here and i’ll edit them

Fuzzybear

Forum index: “PeerCoinTalk - PeerCoin (PPC) & PrimeCoin (XPM)”

News: “PeerCoin (PPC) 0.3.0 Official Download”

I’ve been trying to drop PPcoin from my memory, but for some reason it keeps resurfacing. Also, we talked about completely dropping the term altcoin here…

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:4, topic:826”]I’ve been trying to drop PPcoin from my memory, but for some reason it keeps resurfacing. Also, we talked about completely dropping the term altcoin here…

http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=897.0[/quote]

I think we have consensus that all mentions of being an “altcoin” should be dropped from our communications. I’m not sure how feasible it is to raise a stink at a conference if we’re on an “altcoin” panel, but for our own branding messaging we should be avoiding use of the term.

I fully agree with not using “altcoin” when talking about Peercoin, but is it not still a valid and useful term in the cryptocurrency world?

This was only meant to normalise how these terms are written, but I could strike altcoin from the list if that’s seen as a better idea.

I don’t quite understand what you mean by this.

I just mean that we abandoned the name PPcoin, but people in the media and newer people on the forum keep calling it that even though the name isn’t listed on our website or forum at all. I guess it will just take some more time to rid ourselves of it.

[quote=“jooize, post:3, topic:826”]Forum index: “PeerCoinTalk - PeerCoin (PPC) & PrimeCoin (XPM)”

News: “PeerCoin (PPC) 0.3.0 Official Download”[/quote]

Corrected these two, thanks for the spot :slight_smile:

Fuzzybear

I just mean that we abandoned the name PPcoin, but people in the media and newer people on the forum keep calling it that even though the name isn’t listed on our website or forum at all. I guess it will just take some more time to rid ourselves of it.[/quote]

Right. Should I remove it from the /r/Peercoin title as well? My argument to keep it is to lead people who still may think of it as PPCoin, but I’d rather drop it entirely.

Why is the Github project still saying PPCoin? I heard (level: rumor) that Sunny didn’t want to change it in the client for some reason. I would gladly replace all occurences in the wiki. I realize changing the actual repository name may cause some issues, but Github supports redirects since May.

[quote=“FuzzyBear, post:8, topic:826”][quote=“jooize, post:3, topic:826”]Forum index: “PeerCoinTalk - PeerCoin (PPC) & PrimeCoin (XPM)”

News: “PeerCoin (PPC) 0.3.0 Official Download”[/quote]

Corrected these two, thanks for the spot :slight_smile:

Fuzzybear[/quote]

Ticker: “PPCoin Pool, fast payout (6 confirmations only), PPLNS, fee -0%”

Cheers

[quote=“jooize, post:9, topic:826”]Ticker: “PPCoin Pool, fast payout (6 confirmations only), PPLNS, fee -0%”

Cheers[/quote]
awesome :smiley: changed… keep them coming!!

He did say that, but that was when we first floated the idea of changing the name to Peercoin. We wanted his permission and he gave it, but wanted to keep the client name the same for some reason. Maybe he’s changed his mind since then. It was a while ago. We’d have to ask him.